Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

You've misidentified the anxieties of the L.L.Bean set. The preppy work-at-home engineer isn't afraid of the unknowable other. He's terrified that the rules of the system he lives in have become so strict and unforgiving that he can barely afford to exhale.

I was talking about the financial subtext before, but that's represented by the cutting-off of communication - the increasing distance from the neighbors, the inability to reach a hospital, etc. (See the struggle to acquire prescription drugs for their child in the opening scene.)

The creatures are 'just' rage-monster byproducts.

One actually-good version of A Quiet Place is 28 Weeks Later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Golden Bee posted:

Also labor isn't 30 minutes, it's hours.

My wife had both of her kids in under an hour, you should probably get a refund on your medical degree Dr. Bee

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The creatures are 'just' rage-monster byproducts.

Nah, that ignores too many details of the creatures. They're part of the mechanism that enforces the protagonists' quiet lifestyle. Make too many waves and you end up with angry black creatures with big ears vandalizing your house and terrorizing your wife and kids.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The monsters seemed like they would be easy to manipulate. I want to see someone set off an alarm clock and when a monster comes to investigate, they drop a piano on it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Philip Larkin's "This Be The Verse" is a good touchstone for the movie's themes. See also The Shining and any movie in which fear of the potential cruelty and terror of parenthood is personified in something visibly evil. The hearing monsters aren't an "unknowable other" - they know what sets them off because, when you're a parent, you know what sets you off and what set your own parents off and you're terrified of letting that awful you out and doing the damage to your kids your parents did to yourself.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dropping a piano on something sounds like a good way to attract more monsters.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Then you drop another piano on them!

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Turn on an industrial sized giant wood-chipper

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Turn on an industrial sized giant wood-chipper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_SH-RTvvo

just put these up everywhere and problem solved

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Raccooon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO_SH-RTvvo

just put these up everywhere and problem solved

Moving them will make a lot of noise. I'm assuming they can rip through tanks and construction equipment?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The monsters seemed like they would be easy to manipulate. I want to see someone set off an alarm clock and when a monster comes to investigate, they drop a piano on it.

I was thinking this. Them being drawn/weak to sound is like the Signs the aliens weakness is water thing.

There's sound everywhere. A city, for example, is noisy as gently caress.

Enough time was there for a newspaper to go through the extremely loud process of printing and distributing an edition citing 'it's sound' and for people to figure out it can only hear the loudest sound.

Hydro power plants, for example, would be fine, in fact probably most power generation would be fine due to the noise you get there.

I mean, you basically beat them by cranking up the tunes to an insane volume and leave it playing on loop while you hunt them down because they can't hear you.

We're led to believe the whole world's been wiped out in a few months, but it just reeks of naivety as if the thing was written by some farmer who only lived in the setting shown in the film.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
The theatre I was at burst out laughing when the kid ran face first into the tractor tire and knocked himself out cold.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Sure, the writing is hardly bulletproof but there are actual blind animals who hunt by sound and you don't hear about bats flying into car shredders in droves.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Sure, the writing is hardly bulletproof but there are actual blind animals who hunt by sound and you don't hear about bats flying into car shredders in droves.

I was actually under the impression that, while that specific thing doesn't happen often, bats getting killed by industrial or mechanical hazards is a huge problem to the point where several species are endangered because of it

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I was actually under the impression that, while that specific thing doesn't happen often, bats getting killed by industrial or mechanical hazards is a huge problem to the point where several species are endangered because of it
Well now dont I look dumb

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kin posted:

I was thinking this. Them being drawn/weak to sound is like the Signs the aliens weakness is water thing.

There's sound everywhere. A city, for example, is noisy as gently caress.

They seem to only be effected by the certain pitch or tone created from the device and not just general loud sounds.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

They seem to only be effected by the certain pitch or tone created from the device and not just general loud sounds.

Well, loud sounds are still a weakness in that they can't detect anything quieter like, say people in an upstairs flat behind double glazed windows while there's a load of cars and music blaring about outside.

If this film wasn't set in bumpkinruralsville the entire premise would have fallen apart because all you'd do is have sound systems blasting out music (or gently caress it, the sounds of waterfalls) 24/7.

It would only have taken few tweaks to make it less plotholey.

1) Reduce the number of days that have passed
2) Get rid of the newspaper 'plot for dummies' prop
3) Change the writing on his board from 'i think there's 3' to 'i think there's 30'
4) Get rid of the waterfall scene

That would have made it seem like whatever these creatures are, there are loads of them and they hit hard and fast; that there's no clear weakness and that things have happened so quickly, humanity didn't even get the chance to spot any potential frequency based weakness.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Kin posted:

3) Change the writing on his board from 'i think there's 3' to 'i think there's 30'

That would have made it seem like whatever these creatures are, there are loads of them and they hit hard and fast; that there's no clear weakness and that things have happened so quickly, humanity didn't even get the chance to spot any potential frequency based weakness.

You're making way too much sense here, knock it off.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Kin posted:

Well, loud sounds are still a weakness in that they can't detect anything quieter like, say people in an upstairs flat behind double glazed windows while there's a load of cars and music blaring about outside.

If this film wasn't set in bumpkinruralsville the entire premise would have fallen apart because all you'd do is have sound systems blasting out music (or gently caress it, the sounds of waterfalls) 24/7.

Yeah, but the real commentary in this movie is that rural bumpkins are dumb.

City dwellas fo’ lyfe

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
It's not just sound through right, it's echolocation. They use sound to build a Daredevil style view of their environment. So no they won't attack alarm clocks, thatls why the creatures emit a high-frequency sonar pulse that the hearing aid can amplify, and that's why standing still can be a somewhat effective defense since echolocation is greatly aided by movement. They might hear your heartbeat but if you're completely still they have trouble picking you out from the wall you're standing against.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 25, 2022

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

It's not just sound through right, it's echolocation. They use sound to build a Daredevil style view of their environment. So no they won't attack alarm clocks, thatls why the creatures emit a high-frequency sonar pulse that the hearing aid can amplify, and that's why standing still can be a somewhat effective defense since echolocation is greatly aided by movement. They might hear your heartbeat but if you're completely still they have trouble picking you out from the wall you're standing against.

There's no way she should have survived wading through that water to grab the baby since the thing was underwater and sound is amplified underwater.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

They did attack alarm clocks and didn't hear heart beats or people wading through water. Seems like they can only hear 'loudest noise' above like 3 decibels or some poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Where did the crops come from, did they just come up volunteer? They didn't use that tractor, did they? Did they use an old timey plow with a horse or mule? How did they keep the mule quiet?

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Dr. Clockwork posted:

There's no way she should have survived wading through that water to grab the baby since the thing was underwater and sound is amplified underwater.

I mean, the sound of the falling water in that room would therefore also have been amplified underwater.

1stGear posted:

I always felt the "Why did they have a baby" plot hole was resolved by that shot of Blunt walking down stairs in a blue sun dress.

This right here. John Krasinski, of all people, knows that it would be ludicrous to pretend otherwise.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I want to know how long that loving nail had been sticking up on the stairs, and why she wouldn't address it immediately when she noticed it

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It was pulled up when she was bringing the big sack of laundry or whatever up the stairs in an earlier scene.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I stepped on a nail in that exact spot as a kid, demoing a house with my uncle. Didn't even feel it and dragged the plank of wood with me. Even after, they just put slices of tomatoes on the hole and made me wear like 4 tube socks. Totally unrealistic in the movie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kin posted:

It's only a weakness until the sound is destroyed or the creatures realize that the sound is just natural and there isn't anything that can be done about it, like the waterfall. If there's a loads of sounds coming from cars and speakers they're just going to get shredded.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kin posted:

This is all garbage, would have made for a worse movie, and half of it isn't even accurately describing what happens in the film.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Change the writing on the board from 'thing it doesn't say' to 'thing it does say'.

Checkmate, atheits.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Let's turn this powerful tale about the fragility of modern life and the power of inter-family bonds into a tactical simulation of wether or not a team of Navy Seals would be able to beat one hundred child-sized sound demons or one adult sized sound-demon.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Dan Didio posted:

Let's turn this powerful tale about the fragility of modern life and the power of inter-family bonds into a tactical simulation of wether or not a team of Navy Seals would be able to beat one hundred child-sized sound demons or one adult sized sound-demon.

That’s the sequel. They’re going to have to get the drop ship from the Sulaco tho.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I need a dry erase board that reminds me of the essentials of my day to day life with tips like

-Eat (but not too much)
-Accumulate wealth to provide for necessities (MONEY??)
-Find a spouse (this is how you make more people)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

While I overall enjoyed the movie, I think a lot of the nitpicks brought up itt do have some merit and aren't just Cinema Sins-level pedantry. It can be okay if some of the rules of the world are inconsistent or unclear, but if it reaches a point where the stakes of individual scenes are muddied because the rules aren't clear, then that's a problem.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dan Didio posted:

I think you either totally misunderstood the post you're replying to or you're just deliberately being an asshat

Changing the specifics of the apocalypse depicted in the movie to be a little more sensible wouldn't affect the core themes of the movie at all, and would just change the path the movie takes to those themes very slightly

e: i mean gently caress, the post you're replying to is basically asking the movie to go Full It Comes At Night and not explain poo poo because the poster would have preferred that to the weird explanation. i really don't think it's a call for tactical realism

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Counter-point: The monsters didn't just seemed tuned to sounds, they seemed to doubly enraged at electronic sounds. Not just machines but actual electricity.

There's a good prequel movie out there somewhere where the military tries this, and the monsters instead decide that their radio sound far more tasty than the building wired with 500lbs of C4

Darko posted:

The characters in this movie *are* incredibly dumb, and there are a lot of logic holes, but this isn't the type of movie you approach from that aspect going in. If you do, you'll just end up questioning things too much and not enjoy it.

The Thing, despite paranoia and infighting, still has the smartest characters of any horror movie ever made.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’ve never really thought about that but the characters in The Thing react the best way they could.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Changing the specifics of the apocalypse depicted in the movie to be a little more sensible wouldn't affect the core themes of the movie at all,

Grappling with the 'sensibleness' of the scenario or arguing that the movie should spend time considering minutiae that doesn't have any impact on the reality of the family's world is misunderstanding the core themes of the movie.

And the other two are more just a general joke about the way this thread is going than anyone specific.

sponges posted:

I’ve never really thought about that but the characters in The Thing react the best way they could.

I mean, that's correct, but only because they kill themselves.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, that ignores too many details of the creatures. They're part of the mechanism that enforces the protagonists' quiet lifestyle. Make too many waves and you end up with angry black creatures with big ears vandalizing your house and terrorizing your wife and kids.

There’s little or nothing evocative of the cops/feds.

As the title implies, the family’s isolation is largely self-imposed: they’ve sequestered themselves in a quiet place because the outside world is ‘simply too much for them’.

(The Shyamalan film this most resembles, after Signs, is The Village.)

This is where we get into the ideological critique of the film. Remember, the imagery at the end is that the overbearing/abusive father sheds his humanity, transforms into the monster, and is then eliminated. This is why the characters are suddenly quite happy shortly after dad got murked.

Quiet Place is a basic therapeutic narrative where the characters overcome their trauma - eliminating their demons, returning to normalcy, etc. And, as K.Waste noted earlier, this is also specifically presented as an Aliens-style conflict between the female characters and Patriarchy. The film is ideologically liberal.

And there is nothing anticapitalist in its logic. Quite the opposite: the financial apocalypse stems from the father’s personal failings. They’re trapped in poverty because of his oversensitivity, his inability to survive in the real world. He couldn’t overcome his issues, couldn’t provide for his family, and the remaining characters can thrive now that they’re free of his influence.