Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9xc4X-f49M

Welcome back to the world of Yakuza!

What is Yakuza 6? What is it all about?

Yakuza 6 is the latest installment of Sega's long-running Yakuza (or "Ryu ga Gotoku" in Japan) franchise. This entirely new game was built from the ground up for PlayStation 4 using a brand new engine that has completely revolutionized how Yakuza games are played (with a few caveats).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1OppE7c_Vk

Following the events of Yakuza 5 (watch the trailer above for a recap!), our long-time series protagonist Kazuma Kiryu has been released from a three-year sentence in prison to find that the world he once knew has changed once again. His surrogate daughter, Haruka Sawamura, has vanished from Kiryu's Sunshine Orphanage in Okinawa without a trace! Hot on the trail, the evidence guides him back to the home of Yakuza: Kamuro-cho, Tokyo. The fictional red light district and hotbed of Japanese yakuza activity. It isn't long after arriving that he discovers Haruka... in a coma! After having abandoned her career as a pop idol and running away from social media scrutiny, she'd arrived in town with a small child in tow and was the victim of a terrible car accident, having protected her newborn son from disaster. With his daughter comatose, Kiryu is left to take care of his new grandchild and follow the trail of who would harm Haruka off a single piece of evidence: a photo of her in Onomichi, Hiroshima. There he must discover the truth behind Haruka, her new son, the yakuza of Onomichi, and what transpired during those past three years.

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life is the final chapter of Kazuma Kiryu's story, after having spanned over 13 years and several games through the PS2, PS3, and PS4 generations. It's built on all of this history, and for those of you who might be joining us after the breakout success of Yakuza 0 and Yakuza: Kiwami you can rest assured that the game will get you up to speed on everything you missed!

What does it play like?

Yakuza, in essence, is a third-person action-adventure beat-em-up series with a heavy emphasis on freedom of choice and exciting free-flowing action. Combat plays out with Kiryu's fist and feet to deliver devastating martial arts attacks, but he can also utilize the weapons and the environment itself to lay waste to his opponents. As he fights, he gains "HEAT Energy" which he can then spend to deliver super attacks, special high-damaging situational attacks, or deadly weapon attacks. Weapons like katanas or golf clubs are always fun, but you can pick up a traffic cone or grab an umbrella off the ground just as well! Boxed in by the bad guys? Use your HEAT to throw them through the door of a store or smash their face into a brick wall! As Kiryu defeats enemies and clears quests, he'll gain more EXP that he can use to level up, learn new techniques (while also learning them from tutors), and become even more powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSlQitUUWNc

But that's not all there is to Yakuza! The series is proud of its heritage as a massive mini-game extravaganza, giving players a multitude of options to explore and play in between their times exploring Kamuro-cho, fighting bad guys, and experiencing the story. While the shift to Yakuza 6's new engine has cut down on some of the mainstays (they're still rebuilding) there is still a huge number of fun and brand new mini-games to enjoy in Yakuza 6. From old favorites like Darts, Karaoke, and Hostess Clubs to brand new features like Cat Cafes, Clan Creation, Baseball Team Management, and even full versions of games like Puyo Puyo and Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown! Check out the Clan Creator below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlTrFgBzYZ4
(Yes! Those are New Japan Pro Wrestling's top stars making cameos!)

When does it come out?

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life launches in North America and in Europe on April 17th, 2018, exclusively for PlayStation 4! It's a standard retail price for your region ($59.99 USD / CA$79.99 / £49.99 UK / €59.99 EU / A$89.99 Australia) but there's also a special After Hours edition (depicted above) for $89.99 USD / CA$119.99 / £79.99 UK / €89.99 EU / A$129.99 Australia, which includes an art book, 2 280ml bar glasses, 2 ice stones, 2 coasters, and a fancy box to store it all in. Perfect for drinking and playing Yakuza!

For those of you who'd like to try it before you buy it, you can download a free demo of the prologue chapter to see it for yourself and even carry your progress over into the full version if you like it and buy it!

But wait! There's more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5hYkTD-2as

Following in the footsteps of the Yakuza 1 remake "Kiwami" is Yakuza Kiwami 2! This full-scale remake of PS2's Yakuza 2 is coming exclusively to PlayStation 4, running on the Yakuza 6 engine, to you in North America and Europe on August 28th! See what fans call the most insane chapter of the Yakuza series first hand in a brand new stunning remake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5yceH2_IoQ

And there's even more exciting action coming in the future with Hokuto ga Gotoku! This is a Fist of the North Star/Hokuto no Ken game made by Team Yakuza, using all of the fun, exciting Yakuza gameplay that you'll experience in games like Yakuza 0 and 6! While it has no confirmed US/EU release date yet, it's the next big title coming from Team Yakuza in the future. Keep an eye out for it!

And for those of you who would like to experience even more of Yakuza's greatest hits: look for Yakuza Zero and Yakuza Kiwami on PS4! Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 5 are also available on PS Now, for those of you without PlayStation 3s! Unfortunately Yakuza 3 still remains off PS Now or PS4...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Soon I will spend all the skill points I have banked up from grinding in the demo

https://twitter.com/YakuzaNoContext/status/985988342616612865

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

less than 8 hours to go

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I need to pick up a Japanese whisky or something to break in those drinking glasses! Any suggestions of something that won’t break the bank and where I might find it?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Getting hype by flexing in front of a mirror until release

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

I finally beat Yakuza 5 last night. I can't wait to be a good dad in Yakuza 6.

I got a little misty eyed when the prison buddies stopped Baba from shooting himself :unsmith:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

isk posted:

Getting hype by flexing in front of a mirror until release

No no, you need to do this shirtless while on a rooftop.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I am super hype to play it again after mainlining the Asian English version last month.

Gonna make it my first ever platinum.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've only played PS2 Yakuza, a bit of 2, then skipped everything until Zero because my PS3's hard drive is hosed up and won't play 4 and 5 off PSN :saddowns: Is there a thing like in 2 that sums up the previous games?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Danaru posted:

I've only played PS2 Yakuza, a bit of 2, then skipped everything until Zero because my PS3's hard drive is hosed up and won't play 4 and 5 off PSN :saddowns: Is there a thing like in 2 that sums up the previous games?

It has recaps in the main menu for all the main games except Zero, and the story apparently has lots of flashbacks and loading screen things to fill in blanks.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I've had this on preorder for a while and downloaded the demo that was later pulled from PSN because they screwed up and accidentally allowed access to the whole game. Now that app is locked and I can't run it. Does anyone know if it will just unlock at midnight or do I have download the reposted/unbroken prologue?

I wanna bust heads as soon as possible!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Policenaut posted:

It has recaps in the main menu for all the main games except Zero, and the story apparently has lots of flashbacks and loading screen things to fill in blanks.

:buddy: Thanks for the heads up! I still plan to go back and play the rest (especially Kiwami 2 when it comes out :tem:) but it's good to know I don't have to do external research to find out what happened

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'm really excited for this game. I just got back home from a liquor store a few minutes ago, where I managed to find a bottle of Yamazaki 12 year for under $90 (~$110 with tax) here in Seattle which is probably some kind of miracle.

man nurse posted:

I need to pick up a Japanese whisky or something to break in those drinking glasses! Any suggestions of something that won’t break the bank and where I might find it?

Check your local Costco if you are a member. You're still probably looking at a $60+ per bottle, though. My local Costco regularly have two or three different kinds of Japanese whisky, including the Nikka Coffey Malt, which just won the 2018 Whisky Bible Japanese Whisky of the year.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Danaru posted:

:buddy: Thanks for the heads up! I still plan to go back and play the rest (especially Kiwami 2 when it comes out :tem:) but it's good to know I don't have to do external research to find out what happened

The tutorial had a memory sequence that explains basic relationships etc I've never played a Yakuza before at all but I got enough to follow the story.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Can't wait to get my After Hours edition from Amazon tomorrow, probably all smashed up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

man nurse posted:

Suntory Toki or Hibiki Harmony are the NAS that you can probably find for 30-40. Then the Nikka's for 60ish.
If you really want to spoil yourself (and you should, you're worth it) Yamazaki or Hibiki 12 can be found for the 100ish range.
Yamazaki 18 will easily run you 300 if you can even find it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ryuga Death posted:

Can't wait to get my After Hours edition from Amazon tomorrow, probably all smashed up.

Broken Glass Box Buddies. :hfive:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Suntory Toki or Hibiki Harmony are the NAS that you can probably find for 30-40. Then the Nikka's for 60ish.
If you really want to spoil yourself (and you should, you're worth it) Yamazaki or Hibiki 12 can be found for the 100ish range.
Yamazaki 18 will easily run you 300 if you can even find it.

Remember: really consider Costco for cheaper booze. I thought BevMo might suffice buuuuut.... yeah.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Slightly disappointed the thread doesn't have the NJPW tag.

I'm super hype for tonight!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

man nurse posted:

No no, you need to do this shirtless while on a rooftop.

I've been periodically whipping my shirt off in one motion, then putting it back on so I can take it off.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I have unironically been learning to pull t-shirts off in one swoop ever since fighting Liquid Snake in 1998. If you grab the inside of your left collar, then pull as you swing your left arm upwards in a 270 degree angle, your shirt will hit the floor with a satisfying thud. Just don't catch your chin.

With that said I've never been able to replicate Kiryu's pulling off a suit jacket and buttoned up shirt in one swoop. Not without destroying either the shirt or my left arm at least.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

PunkBoy posted:

Slightly disappointed the thread doesn't have the NJPW tag.

I'm super hype for tonight!

I'm really hype Okada/etc.'s actual themes are in the US version. I was worried there might be some weird copyright nonsense interfering with that. The games have such an influence from how pro wresting is presented that it's such a perfect it. It's a big part of why I got into SNK fighters too, like even before I was way into wrestling. Then after getting into wrestling I was like, oh, this is why these games are awesome.

man nurse posted:

I'd look up the Hibiki blended whiskey Blended Harmony and the Hakushu Single Malt. The games have the 12 year/Hakushu/etc. Hibiki but they make more of the former so they're cheaper, and you'll still be holding a bottle in your hand that's in the games.

Hibiki and Yamazaki (both of which are in the games) are both made by Suntory, the Yamazaki stuff is quite a bit more expensive and harder to come by than it used to be as they're not putting out more whiskey with just the Suntory name on it. So they kind of shifted everything up a notch where they want Suntory to be the impulse/typical stuff you'd get, ranging up to Yamazaki being the high tier stuff and some places caught onto that and were way overcharging for it. Like the first three on this list are a good example of about how they should range:

http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResult.aspx?search=&searchtype=Contains&term=yamazaki&p=2

If you want to go cheaper the Suntory Toki is worth checking out.

♪♫Don Don Don, Don Don D-Don, Don Quixote♪♫
My wife and I both like whiskey and love the Yakuza games so we pulled the trigger on the Yamazaki 12 year - it's actually a bit cheaper than what folks were telling me on this site, if you're in NYC this Astor Wines place is the real deal and worth checking out in general, huge variety of good stuff and they have stuff at every price level in the store. It's also really easy to get free delivery!
♪♫Don Don Don, Don Don D-Don, Don Quixote♪♫

Do what ihatepants suggests also and ABSOLUTELY if you have a Costco or a BJ's or whatever near you check them first Also like ihatepants mentioned, be careful looking online/wherever because a lot of places were charging absurd amounts of money for the Yamazaki and Hibiki. I mean they're great but I saw one site even wanted like $350 for the 12 year. :laffo: Fortunately now it seems to be in the $106 area again in most places which is closer to reality.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I still haven't beaten Yakuza 0.

gently caress. I am fated to never complete one of these games, despite how much I like them.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Can't wait to slide into the mahjong parlour then stay there for thirty hours. Need to figure out his selfie strategy, though, given he's already a trending blogger.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Danaru posted:

I have unironically been learning to pull t-shirts off in one swoop ever since fighting Liquid Snake in 1998. If you grab the inside of your left collar, then pull as you swing your left arm upwards in a 270 degree angle, your shirt will hit the floor with a satisfying thud. Just don't catch your chin.

With that said I've never been able to replicate Kiryu's pulling off a suit jacket and buttoned up shirt in one swoop. Not without destroying either the shirt or my left arm at least.

Cinematically it's edited so that there's an obvious cut in between which someone runs in and unbuttons their shirts. Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I still haven't beaten Yakuza 0.

gently caress. I am fated to never complete one of these games, despite how much I like them.

I'm played and completed all of them except for the Black Panther games and Zero but I'm gonna finish Zero tonight.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just want to run a cat cafe

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My body is prepared.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Neo Rasa posted:

Cinematically it's edited so that there's an obvious cut in between which someone runs in and unbuttons their shirts. Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY

I have been practicing this for nearly twenty years don't you dare ruin this for me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Danaru posted:

I have been practicing this for nearly twenty years don't you dare ruin this for me.

You gotta make a video tutorial. :O

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Danaru posted:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh god I am seriously considering getting Yakuza 6 instead of knuckling down and finishing Zero PLEASE SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF THIS

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

finish zero the other games aren't going anywhere and zero is like the best in the series

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hear 6 is better than Zero but yeah finish Zero BE A MAN

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Finish Zero, and then I'd even go so far as play Kiwami afterwards.

Kiwami really feels like an expansion pack to Zero, and the story is just so god drat good

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kiwami didn't really grab me. It was kind of a mixture of 'I've seen these plot beats over and over', not having enough attacks base, having to farm Majima to get more attacks, and the sidequests being kind of uninspired because they were mostly ripped from 1 without a change. I'm definitely going to play Kiwami 2 because I'm fairly ignorant of 2's plotline, but I petered out of Kiwami hard.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

widespread posted:

Broken Glass Box Buddies. :hfive:

Remember: really consider Costco for cheaper booze. I thought BevMo might suffice buuuuut.... yeah.

Mine just arrived, glasses intact. Hope this news isn't too disappointing!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Stelas posted:

having to farm Majima to get more attacks

I respect your opinion but also I cannot mentally comprehend NOT wanting to fight Majima at every physically possible opportunity

This is a completely alien feeling that I cannot understand. Like I can understand needing a break to eat or piss but why would you not want to dive back into battle

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Unlucky7 posted:

Oh god I am seriously considering getting Yakuza 6 instead of knuckling down and finishing Zero PLEASE SOMEONE TALK ME OUT OF THIS

No

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Danaru posted:

I respect your opinion but also I cannot mentally comprehend NOT wanting to fight Majima at every physically possible opportunity

This is a completely alien feeling that I cannot understand. Like I can understand needing a break to eat or piss but why would you not want to dive back into battle

The only thing better than fighting Majima is seeing him pop out of a garbage can feeling super pleased with himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2giXsHAM1o

Sony made some pretty neat live action ads for Song Of Life.

• Locked thread