Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I'm a hypercharger so that can't be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Eh I've got more time than I thought. These are the three meaty posts by AA:

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I don't know if the nod to the possibility of alignment changing is confirming that as a mechanicn beyond the strong suggestion, but I imagine it's going to turn reads in their head in short order.

So confirming! Let's play some mafia.

I'm going to plot out my victory strategy now.

This is a 15 player game.

If there's alignment changing there is probably a cult or a recruiter with some limited ability with a vote control win condition.

There's almost guaranteed to be 1 3P

Probably a 2 to 4 player scum team. If it's less than 3 scum, possibility for 2 3P, a survivor alongside a recruiter mayhap.

No player reads yet obviously, but I'll be looking to see how things for within this initial speculation.

This all seems fairly safe speculation. I do agree that the explicit call out of alignment changes was due to complaints in the DBZ Mafia 2 game; where several players specifically asked that if alignment changes be more explicit. AA was a part of that game as well and would be aware of this info. It's up in the air if a recruiter would be a 3p or as part of the scum team

The :rolleyes: emoticon tends to get tossed around by scum fairly often in this community.

As far as setup discussion goes, it is as much content as anything else on d1 and the heavy handed discrediting of it reflects poorly. Krell went into specific role information that seemed unconventional from the what I attempted to glean from the OP.

Seeing as you were recently SCUM in a game where I was TOWN, and you pressured me similarly, my antennae are raised.

I will say that in hindsight, the Krell vote wasn't a good one.

The small pile up on I R SMART LIKE ROCK looks bad. ROCK's comment was innocuous.

There is a bit of meta-gaming here as AA mentions a previous game as evidence of Somberbrero being scum. I don't know which game they are referring to so I can't go back to confirm. This may be tunneling, on AA's part, but honestly I'm not sure. I'm new to the community so I have trouble parsing posting style call outs like this

Rangoon has a bad vote, but not quite ready to OMGUS them.

Jokephase is garbage and should die in a fire.

I already stated that I'm wary about Somber. I would OMGUS them.

Yami reads and sounds like an experienced player making good contribution and commentary. For a new player, they are bring a lot to the table WRT to this thread.

More later. Working late because out all day tomorrow. Don't want to be fired, reprimanded, looked at coldly, etc.

AA seems to have been legit scum hunting and throwing out claims. They even state that they'll post most cases later which reads likely town. No scum wants to stay in the spotlight too long. It would come off as fishy if AA never followed up so I'll take this statement at face value

On the subject hey Anomalous Amalgam if you had to rank your picks what would they be?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dick Bastardly posted:

I'm pretty sure the power role claims were jokes...

I'm pretty sure DB here is saying that those who have claimed, up to now, were joke claims

Yami Fenrir posted:

I'm a hypercharger so that can't be true.

I don't believe you had claimed before now. So it looks like you just did on accident?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I don't believe you had claimed before now. So it looks like you just did on accident?

Hey, I'm new, I make mistakes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yami Fenrir posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853693
AA is calling it a pileup, and I presumed it because of the two votes (well, mine and Atomic Soda's attempt at voting them.)

Which is especially curious to me since they didn't call out a pileup on Harold when two people insta-voted him.

What's your read on AA and Rock, Shark?

I tend to distrust meta reads, so in the fight between him and Somber I'm more inclined to trust Somber. But neither one has posted enough for me to make any firm conclusions.

Rock's posting is definitely weird. Among other things he's got back to back posts where he says he doesn't think we should believe in D1 claims then suggests we rely on claimed D1 power roles. I assume he's being sarcastic, but that doesn't come across well on forums and just generally isn't conducive to serious mafia play. I have a hard time reading any particularly scummy intent into his posts, though.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

I tend to distrust meta reads, so in the fight between him and Somber I'm more inclined to trust Somber. But neither one has posted enough for me to make any firm conclusions.

Rock's posting is definitely weird. Among other things he's got back to back posts where he says he doesn't think we should believe in D1 claims then suggests we rely on claimed D1 power roles. I assume he's being sarcastic, but that doesn't come across well on forums and just generally isn't conducive to serious mafia play. I have a hard time reading any particularly scummy intent into his posts, though.

Yeah if you look at my post history this is just how I talk. I do honestly believe that we shouldn't trust D1 claims. Fakeclaiming is the key tool of a scum team to mislead other players into thinking they are town. D1 is always the hardest as town has the least amount of information and scum has the most. It's likely that we'll end up lynching a townie just due to the lopsided nature of town vs scum

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

That's a fair point but at the same time why are we taking d1 claims at face value?

I mean what's the play here; for a Doctor to be in this game and protect them? This isn't enough on it's own for a vote but I'll be on the look out for watcher claims as the game progresses

Whoa, what's with the fishing.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CCKeane posted:

Whoa, what's with the fishing.

Huh? I never asked any to claim Doctor. I said it seems like your angle is to hope a Doctor protects you

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Mafia edit: anyone not any

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yeah if you look at my post history this is just how I talk. I do honestly believe that we shouldn't trust D1 claims. Fakeclaiming is the key tool of a scum team to mislead other players into thinking they are town. D1 is always the hardest as town has the least amount of information and scum has the most. It's likely that we'll end up lynching a townie just due to the lopsided nature of town vs scum

yes I suppose it is likely that you will end up lynching a townie

##vote I R SMART LIKE ROCK

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Huh? I never asked any to claim Doctor. I said it seems like your angle is to hope a Doctor protects you

SMH, trying to blow up my spot I'm being subtle here.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CCKeane posted:

C'mon dude, I know this is a joke, but I agree. I think your obvious breadcrumbing is more scummy than town. It's effectively a completely safe gambit for scum to pull, and pretty risky as an actual town power role. Unless you're not a power role, in which case, I still think it makes more sense for scum to pull.

Also, hi, sorry, was with the girlfriend all weekend. I am here now, reading through.

This is Yami Fenrir's first participation in a mafia game, correct? They had a couple posts that pinged my hard but they couldn't seem to decide if they've played mafia before or not. Followed up with this:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hey, I'm new, I make mistakes.

I genuinely can't tell if he's being facetious.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

C'mon dude, I know this is a joke, but I agree. I think your obvious breadcrumbing is more scummy than town. It's effectively a completely safe gambit for scum to pull, and pretty risky as an actual town power role. Unless you're not a power role, in which case, I still think it makes more sense for scum to pull.

Also, hi, sorry, was with the girlfriend all weekend. I am here now, reading through.

This is Yami Fenrir's first participation in a mafia game, correct? They had a couple posts that pinged my hard but they couldn't seem to decide if they've played mafia before or not. Followed up with this:

This is a lot of words to say nothing.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

CCKeane posted:

So you're admitting that I wasn't rolefishing? Then go on to throw shade at me? Like wtf is up with these posts

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

This is another post that caught my eye, Somber's first post in the game.

Somberbrero posted:

:rolleyes:

Setup spec is usually a hallmark of scum discussion as it gives no inferences to alignment and generates the illusion of content, but all this is just silly. It strikes me as pointless at worse. It doesn't seem very fair to Krell to call them out on this point when you started the line of discussion. I presume you're just stirring the pot?

this is a total non-comment and I don't like it. Why, as town, would you feel the need to chime in with this? ##vote Atomic Soda

Dicky Bee this is clearly a joke.

It just strikes me as trying really hard, posturing to appear town. The vote sucks, I understand it's just early D1 pressure stuff, but it's so flimsy I don't think the vote even gives it any weight, making it look.. just fake.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CCKeane posted:

I have merely begun to rot.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

So you're admitting that I wasn't rolefishing? Then go on to throw shade at me? Like wtf is up with these posts

I think I'm being pretty transparent.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Who do you think is scum, Keane?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Who do you think is scum, Keane?

RF is the one who pinged me the hardest, I've been pretty clear about that.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CCKeane posted:

But not enough to vote him? Do you have any other feelings?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

But not enough to vote him? Do you have any other feelings?

I feel immense sadness every day of my life.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sandwolf posted:

I stated already that I have not played SA mafia before. I have, however, quite a lot of hours in Throne of Lies, a similar social deduction game. As such im decently familiar with a lot of concepts in the game, especially power roles, but the fastpaced nature of the game disallows scumreading on the level of SA Mafia, being more ability based.

On top of that I've read a few older games and familiarized myself with the playstyle before the recruit went up.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

You must be a hell of an autodidact, Yami, because your posting really does not strike me as that of a new player.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CCKeane posted:

My making a policy vote I’d make in any game is pinging you harder than anything anyone else has done?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

My making a policy vote I’d make in any game is pinging you harder than anything anyone else has done?

Yes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CCKeane posted:

I would think he had a point if you weren't also on Retro, it's not like you're just trying to distract from the conversation. That pinged my radar too.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Retro Futurist posted:

You are tripling down on it without engaging much of the discussion.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I think it's pretty clearly a joke.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

I think it's pretty clearly a joke.

I'm very serious, Somberbrero.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hi Somber, hope you are better!

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Votes on DB are good votes, I think.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

Agreed, RF has done this in every game with Krell for like 2 years.

That being said I assume you have other thoughts sir

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sandwolf posted:

You must be a hell of an autodidact, Yami, because your posting really does not strike me as that of a new player.

He's read lots of old games you see... so yeah autodidact is about right I guess

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

I could be swayed, what's the argument?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The :rolleyes: emoticon tends to get tossed around by scum fairly often in this community.

As far as setup discussion goes, it is as much content as anything else on d1 and the heavy handed discrediting of it reflects poorly. Krell went into specific role information that seemed unconventional from the what I attempted to glean from the OP.

Seeing as you were recently SCUM in a game where I was TOWN, and you pressured me similarly, my antennae are raised.

I will say that in hindsight, the Krell vote wasn't a good one.

The small pile up on I R SMART LIKE ROCK looks bad. ROCK's comment was innocuous.

Okay, I realize that this is not a productive conversation, but because I was recently SCUM you're suspicious of me here? Also, why are we capitalizing alignments? Also also I think I pretty well evidenced why setup speculation is rarely a productive line of thought and while not necessarily being the behavior of a scum player, is useful to them.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hi Somber, hope you are better!

I took three xanax so not so much better as outside of my loving eyeballs but it'll do.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yes, I agree, I was getting there but I got distracted by semantics.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Okay I don't know if I'll have time to check in before deadline and I feel good about voting DB. I feel like he's giving surface level reads that don't mean much of anything. ##vote Dick Bastardly

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
O did not realize deadline was in the morning. I should be around though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Humph.

##vote Krell

Very well. I will not be around in the morning.

• Locked thread