Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I just moved in with a new roommate and he has one hedgehog, and two cats.
There are no cat toys, as they "just sleep and never play," the hedgehog cage is just full of bedding, with a single dome for the hedgehog to sleep in. He insists the hedgehog doesn't need things like toys, and rarely cleans the cage. The hedgehog was in a dark corner of the room, enclosed by two couches.
I was helping him rearrange things, and noticed that the food and water for the hedgehog were empty. He didn't recall feeding or watering him in the recent past.
He also tends to pick up the cats and hold them head down, swing them, and prioritizes his interest in the cats over their comfort.
The newest cat has made friends with me, and will lick and nibble with affection, and he doesn't understand or care for how the cat approaches affection.

Am I totally off kilter thinking he doesn't care about these pets? It feels like he should be giving them more enrichment, concern or just... effort.
Or am I being totally off meds on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive Squirrel
Apr 28, 2009
Ugh this makes me so sad. I don’t think you’re wrong to be worried as it sounds like there is neglect or at the very least, your new roommate is a lovely pet owner.

I’ve never owned a hedgehog, but if they’re like other small pets/rodents they need constant access to water at the minimum. When I had a hamster growing up, I also made sure she had some kind of food in her habitat and then would give her snacks like veggies or yogurt chips from time to time. The poor thing needs some kind of stimulation too, as I’m sure it gets bored hanging out in it’s dirty cage.

As for the cats, a few toys wouldn’t hurt anyone. They probably “just sleep” because they don’t have any interaction. :saddowns: I’m happy to hear that the one has taken to you. Poor baby just needs some love.

This situation is kind of hard to approach, but maybe ask your roommate if he’d mind you getting some cheap cat toys (like catnip mice, crinkle balls, or pom pom balls). A small investment of <$5 might mean the world to these kitties. Additionally, you could approach him and say that you were researching ways to try and help with their and the hedgehogs care, and found out that they need (insert vet recommendation here about goof & social interaction) and see what he says.

Hopefully that’s enough to get something rolling.

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
"It is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission." Buy these animals some toys, feed and water that poor hedgehog yourself. He probably won't even notice. And make like it's no big deal if he does.

shits.ridic
Dec 31, 2015

Post poste posted:

Am I totally off kilter thinking he doesn't care about these pets? It feels like he should be giving them more enrichment, concern or just... effort.
Or am I being totally off meds on this?

Hedgehogs IRL live underground. They are nocturnal and have poor vision so I think the location of the cage sounds fine. But ideally he should have a solid exercise wheel (not a wire one) and some toys. They like little balls and small cat toy things. Get some toys for the cats + a few extra to toss in for the hedgehog.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

shits.ridic posted:

Hedgehogs IRL live underground. They are nocturnal and have poor vision so I think the location of the cage sounds fine. But ideally he should have a solid exercise wheel (not a wire one) and some toys. They like little balls and small cat toy things. Get some toys for the cats + a few extra to toss in for the hedgehog.

Thanks. The hedgehog has no wheel or toys.
Will get some next time I can go out.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Small update: Got some cat toys, both cats are aggressively playful, but I only got a few toys.

Roommate plays with cat like he only has a vague idea what a cat is, because he thinks the best way to play with them is to press the toy into their face and shake it rapidly, no matter what the toy is. He also spiked their food with catnip because he wants stoner cats.

Both cats love me and will play with me without issue though!
Hedgehog has been watered, cleaned and bathed at my prompting, yay.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Sometimes lovely owners just need a reminder about their being lovely.

I like happy endings!

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Post poste posted:

Small update: Got some cat toys, both cats are aggressively playful, but I only got a few toys.

Roommate plays with cat like he only has a vague idea what a cat is, because he thinks the best way to play with them is to press the toy into their face and shake it rapidly, no matter what the toy is. He also spiked their food with catnip because he wants stoner cats.

Both cats love me and will play with me without issue though!
Hedgehog has been watered, cleaned and bathed at my prompting, yay.

Well I guess it's still progress. I can make a recommendation on cheap toys if you want more: I can't find the exact ones I buy (it's on my spouses accound so I forget the exact one) - They are mice toys that are covered in rabbit fur - for the fur. My cats absolutely love them - all the cats. I once accidentally bout the ones with the synthetic fur and they gave no fucks about them.

Also if he happens to have a cat tree (which I seriously doubt from how he is portrayed) but my cats love things that attach to it while the thing attached spins feathers around.

Also these - my cats love these

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Well I guess it's still progress. I can make a recommendation on cheap toys if you want more: I can't find the exact ones I buy (it's on my spouses accound so I forget the exact one) - They are mice toys that are covered in rabbit fur - for the fur. My cats absolutely love them - all the cats. I once accidentally bout the ones with the synthetic fur and they gave no fucks about them.

Also if he happens to have a cat tree (which I seriously doubt from how he is portrayed) but my cats love things that attach to it while the thing attached spins feathers around.

Also these - my cats love these

I already nabbed a cat tree from a friend, and I'm still gathering more toys. I'll keep an eye out for the ones you recommended though.

He's already stopped playing with the cats, so that's on me now, woo.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^^^ I think it's your cat now.

This is what we attached to the cat tree.

But for something cheaper we also have this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress does this guy even have pets for?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress does this guy even have pets for?

He likes cats that he can "pick up and snuggle" and that "look pretty" and he doesn't like leaving the toys out or brushing them or playing with them and I seriously don't think he should have cats. Biggest fact: He thinks playing with a cat is just laying down catnip on the floor and letting them roll in it.

The cat tree I nabbed has a hanging feather, and the cats seem to enjoy it. They both come alive when I play with them. The hedgehog has some minor toys, but I'm not on the little dude's sleep cycle.

So, things are a bit better.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He may as well have gotten toy plushies if that’s what he wanted them for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
^^^^ He probably wouldn't notice if they were replaced with plush toys. Seriously thos cats are luck that jack rear end has a good roommate. Honestly if it was me I would't tell the toommate I was leaving and take the cats to the new place while he was out of the house. ------ Mainly because I am a sucker, our Porch Kitty we got because well he lived underneath the couch on the porch before we were able to actually take him in. Squiggles our orange cat was an adoption from Project M.E.O.W. so that porch kitty could have a friends - we wanted no more cats after that - but when my grandmother passed I found homes for hers and took 1 because she's the one I bottle fed as a kitten - then shouted at my husband "We are having NO MORE CATS!" Than a part Maine Coon decided that my porch was a spot to how at the door - kept him in the basement bathroom for a few days till we could get his microchip checked (had one but was never registered to anyone qned the shelter had no records of him for some reason), posted flyers etc..... - now he's our cat and has his microchip now registered to us.

So much poop and pee to clean in the litter boxes now. I thinnk my dreams of getting a couple parakeets are pretty much over now.

• Locked thread