Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I see lovely lane changes every day but even relatively speaking this is pretty impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtdZIUY2PLY

From a KDLINKS X1 dashcam about to enter it's 3rd Texas summer. Not great quality but it is still chugging along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

I see lovely lane changes every day but even relatively speaking this is pretty impressive

From a KDLINKS X1 dashcam about to enter it's 3rd Texas summer. Not great quality but it is still chugging along.

I go through there every day, but in the lanes going towards 30 Eastbound. I've got to be in that middle lane because it turns into an exit only for the exit I need (Second Avenue). I loving hate that area with a passion and I block people trying to do that poo poo whenever I can.

Ninja edit: Leaving to go to work in about five minutes, so I'll be there in about fifteen. Let's see if I get any bad lane changes on my camera today.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

I like your choice of classical music.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Not sure what the gently caress was going on here. Though it is nice to hear my two year old cheer me on when I call him an idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkDoaS6ykds

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

I like your choice of classical music.

E6 stealth grew into one of my favorite bands over the last year or so. The only reason the clip goes on that long was to fade out with the lyrics. That was volume 3 of my custom made Best Of CDs that i listen to in the car. 3 out of 9 :negative:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 9, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Latest Dash Cam Owners Australia crash compilation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZyOt5wgIvI

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

That was volume 3 of my custom made Best Of CDs that i listen to in the car. 3 out of 9 :negative:

Hah, well hey now, you're doing better than me! I've never gotten around to bothering to burn some compilation disks (since at this point I might as well rip them and put 'em on an iPod or something) so I've still got two 50-disk CD books by the driver's seat, which are both very nearly full! :v:

EDIT: Also, I think your choice in music is probably more widely acceptable...since I witnessed a near double-crash a week or so back, while Warrant's "Cherry Pie" was being blasted from the speakers. :shobon: What can I say, I've always liked '80s rock haha
(I was tempted to upload the video, but I dunno, it didn't seem 'exciting' enough to warrant -see what I did there- posting it)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 10, 2018

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

You Am I posted:

Latest Dash Cam Owners Australia crash compilation video:

Cartoon posted:

Move over Russia! There's a new kid on the block!

It's good enough to get linked twice though.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Holy poo poo that rollover with the two stolen cars :gonk:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

loving :lol: at the tree falling down.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Takes No Damage posted:

From my local subreddit, a biker narrowly avoids getting creamed and does a sick edge grind on the underside of a flipped SUV :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYimlrucN4s

Not only holy gently caress, but literally down the street from my parents house. :stare:

That dude needs to buy 100 lotto tickets.

The road he was on is a 45 that people regularly do 55-60 on, and the cross road is a 40 that people usually do 50+ on.

Nocheez posted:

I felt the same way about backup cameras until I got into a car with a decent one and a nice, large screen. It saw a car coming around the large SUV parked next to me way before I could, and now I'm a fan.

The rental I'm driving now has one, along with an annoying (but useful) as gently caress beeper if I'm getting close to something when backing up.

The rental is also a 4x4 crew cab pickup with "what turning radius?", and I've been driving economy cars most of my life. So it's a bit of a challenge for me to park it (then get back out of parking spaces).

TheFonz posted:

What's defacto dashcam nowadays? I see the OP has the G1W, but it's from 2013, so what does everyone use now?

I'm using a Roav (Anker) dashcam, but I know that's not the most popular choice . Got sick of dashcams crapping out on me and went with a company that's known for excellent customer service, but definitely paid a bit more for it vs the normal Chinese choices. I've had 3 G1Ws, they're definitely only good for 1-3 years. I got 3 out of the last one before the battery decided to turn into Stay Puft.

Takes No Damage posted:

I go through there every day myself, not the least bit surprised.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm using a Roav (Anker) dashcam, but I know that's not the most popular choice . Got sick of dashcams crapping out on me and went with a company that's known for excellent customer service, but definitely paid a bit more for it vs the normal Chinese choices. I've had 3 G1Ws, they're definitely only good for 1-3 years. I got 3 out of the last one before the battery decided to turn into Stay Puft.

I'm using the Roav cam also. Not the best, not the worst but I've never had a problem in the year I've had it. Might get another one so I don't have to swap between cars. Customer service was great when I emailed asking for another mount. Got it within a week.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Don't buy cameras with internal batteries, unless you're out of options or somehow.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That rules out pretty much every camera ever, aside from a handful that have a supercap hacked in.

Meydey posted:

I'm using the Roav cam also. Not the best, not the worst but I've never had a problem in the year I've had it. Might get another one so I don't have to swap between cars. Customer service was great when I emailed asking for another mount. Got it within a week.

Yeah, just emailed them asking for another mount, since my car got totaled. It originally came with 2 mounts (not sure if that was intentional or not), but the extra got misplaced. :sigh: Hopefully it'll be pretty painless.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have a roav, but the picture isn't as sharp as my ancient g1w (rip). Hard to read plates off of.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nm posted:

I have a roav, but the picture isn't as sharp as my ancient g1w (rip). Hard to read plates off of.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing with my A119S, unless the car is ahead of me in my lane. No idea if it's just something with the polarizing lens I bought at the same time as the cam though, I suppose...? (Just thought of that then, so I haven't tested with/without) I think I might have to start shouting out the license plate so I can hear it in the recording, if I see anything sus happen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've noticed the Roav has a much wider lens, and seems to be a bit more aggressive with sharpening. That combo makes it hard to read plates for sure.

I keep audio on; if someone's doing something fishy, I just yell out the license plate (like Major Isoor does). Twice. At least that way I have an easy to retrieve audio recording of the plate number, and doing it twice makes sure I can still easily hear it if I happened to call it out when it hit the 3 minute marker and started a new file. It's easy enough to edit out audio, and doesn't take up poo poo for space on the memory card.

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing with my A119S, unless the car is ahead of me in my lane. No idea if it's just something with the polarizing lens I bought at the same time as the cam though, I suppose...? (Just thought of that then, so I haven't tested with/without) I think I might have to start shouting out the license plate so I can hear it in the recording, if I see anything sus happen.

Polarizing lens should make it easier to see; they cut down on reflections. Same reason I'll never buy another pair of sunglasses that aren't polarized. Just keep making an audio record of the plate. The trend toward pretty much fisheye lenses means it's going to be a lot harder to read plates, but the video should at least make plates visible enough to verify if you recorded the plate info audibly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 11, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Polarizing lens should make it easier to see; they cut down on reflections. Same reason I'll never buy another pair of sunglasses that aren't polarized. Just keep making an audio record of the plate. The trend toward pretty much fisheye lenses means it's going to be a lot harder to read plates, but the video should at least make plates visible enough to verify if you recorded the plate info audibly.

Yeah, I thought it would be unlikely it would impact it sufficiently, but as I'm new to dashcams I wasn't 100% on if it might sliiightly decrease quality in non-glare/dimmer scenarios, which might make-or-break being able to read plates properly in some situations. Thanks for the confirmation though; I won't worry about the lens then - I'll just try to make sure I read out the plate, if something does happen.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nitrox posted:

One thing I learned from skateboards and bicycles is that you want to minimize the contact with asphalt as much as possible. So when you fall, tumble and move, never freeze up. Every second your skin is touching the pavement, the less skin you have. That skillset served me remarkably well during a 65 mph motorcycle accident.

I am afraid of motorcycles for this very reason. I have strapped my dumb teenage self into a 600HP 1991 CRX-HF with no roll cage before and had a blast, but a motorcycle? No thanks, I'm good. :v:

I had a friend in high school who crashed once on a motorcycle with just regular shirt and jeans on. He said the worst part about the accident was the hospital when they had to get the asphalt out of his skin. :gonk: He always wears full leather and jeans now, even in 100F heat. The scars on arms remind him to.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 11, 2018

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

I am afraid of motorcycles for this very reason. I have strapped my dumb teenage self into a 600HP 1991 CRX-HF with no roll cage before and had a blast, but a motorcycle? No thanks, I'm good. :v:

I had a friend in high school who crashed once on a motorcycle with just regular shirt and jeans on. He said the worst part about the accident was the hospital when they had to get the asphalt out of his skin. :gonk: He always wears full leather and jeans now, even in 100F heat. The scars on arms remind him to.
I went from fast cars in my 20's to leisure motorcycles in my 30's and it has been a wonderful experience. There are many ways to mitigate risks of riding, and being a mature responsible adult is a huge factor. Nearly 70% of motorcyclists admitted to hospitals have elevated blood alcohol levels, if that tells you anything.

My unmodified 90hp motorcycle does low 11's in a 1/4 mile and still quiet, comfortable and easy to commute on. If I were to replicate the experience in a car, huge sacrifices would be made.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

ratbert90 posted:

:stare:

At speeds attainable by that pocket rocket, I'd assume the "crash structure" probably wouldn't do much anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So how many sets of tires did it burn through to get through 1st and 2nd gear?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I bet that fucker hooked up good in reverse though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've done a few turbo kits on daily driven Hondas and they actually perform well as daily drivers. Usually because the turbo doesn't do anything until 5k+ rpms and you can mosey around town without going into boost. Don't know about "600hp"

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

nm posted:

My g1w-c started playing up :( Freezing up, corrupt files, not recording etc.
I worked out it was the USB lead failing where the cable goes into the hard plug (as cheap cables often do fail there) and the LED kept going from blue or purple to just plain red. Soldered on a known good cable w plug, all good again. Video a lot clearer than many more expensive or newer cameras too. Not bad for $40, 5yrs and now a cable repair. Suction cup still good which is very suprising - I've went through 2 cheapy GPS from 2006-2012 just because suction cups melt and warp if you leave them mounted, or break/fail if you take them off every day.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I'm always surprised at the image quality of the G1W vs a lot of the more expensive cameras. I guess the trade-off is a bit more uncertainty in the QA department but I'm watching a lot of videos from cameras a lot more expensive and thinking "man, there's no way I'd read a plate off this" which to me sort of defeats the purpose. The one in my wife's car is acting a bit weird, the case has warped a bit where the mount point is, and the red blinking "record" light just sort of marches to its own drum beat now but it comes on every time we start the car and the image still looks the same so I have no interest in replacing it, going on almost 4 years now I think.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 12, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Mine was doing that before failure too, a dodgey cable often causes shorts and stuff that makes everything play up. Other symptoms of mine was that record 'dot' wouldn't flash, it wouldn't turn off when pressing the power button, and sometimes wouldn't turn on unless I used a pin to press the reset.
Mines hardwired as there's no cig socket that is use-able in the e34, and I manually have to turn it on/off as I couldn't find an ignition switched power source (It's all constant hot +12v, with -ve switched through controller modules and was all too hard for me, plus no interior fusebox...)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 12, 2018

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Someone posted this on the Kia Stinger forums I'm on and features two assholes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoKXtzs_Xr0

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nothing like two idiots constantly on upping each in other in a game of shitsmanship

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kathbarbadoro/status/984216570854625280

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 16, 2018

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Saw her at the last second or she would have crushed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUdAp_fLSqE

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Saw her at the last second or she would have crushed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUdAp_fLSqE

She's in the wrong for running the stop sign, but it wouldn't have been such a close call if you actually stopped.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

chrisgt posted:

She's in the wrong for running the stop sign, but it wouldn't have been such a close call if you actually stopped.

Yeah I know, check the name of the video.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
From watching US dashcam/TV/movies/videos that no one ever fully stops at a stop sign in the US. Should just swap them all out for yield signs, but I guess people will not even slow down for those?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrOnBicycle posted:

From watching US dashcam/TV/movies/videos that no one ever fully stops at a stop sign in the US. Should just swap them all out for yield signs, but I guess people will not even slow down for those?

Half of stop signs should become yields; half should be removed outright.

The only nice thing I can say about all‐way stops is that a steady stream of traffic on the main road can’t shut down the other road, but if that’s a real concern the intersection probably warrants a light.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 17, 2018

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

Rolling through a stop sign is literally called a 'California Stop'. The story goes that's because it's legal to do so if there's no oncoming traffic, but that's probably an urban legend.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Platystemon posted:

Half of stop signs should become yields; half should be removed outright.

The only nice thing I can say about all‐way stops is that a steady stream of traffic on the through road can’t shut down the other road, but if that’s a real concern the intersection probably warrants a light.

Yeah that's something I noticed as well. You guys have a shitload of stop signs.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Rolling through a stop sign is literally called a 'California Stop'. The story goes that's because it's legal to do so if there's no oncoming traffic, but that's probably an urban legend.

It is an urban legend. An officer can and will pull you over for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Most of the stop signs in the US should be replaced with roundabouts.

Mainly so I can see all the useless olds flabbergasted.