Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/985955241932787712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

You're a fan boy

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bmac32 posted:

I didn't get banned but I got a warning from a Reddit bot accusing me of being an alt.

Can I get a Crobear 6er to celebrate?

I got this message:

Reddit posted:

We've been alerted to activity on your account(s) that could be considered vote manipulation.

This is warning. Do not vote on posts that you have not found organically.

In this case you followed a link from somethingawful.com and targeted that user's content with downvotes.

Kazan is going all out on the butt hurt front :laugh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Titanic posted:

Guys I'm starting to think Star Citizen might not be The Matrix levels of immersion. :ohdear:

Of course even now it's better than like 4 Triple-A games glued end to end with each other. But the immersion might not be there.

AAA2MMM

Yeah, that basically explains this shitshow.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

I got this message:

I'll make sure next time I set my bots to target and downvote him to make sure that they visit Fortune.com first.

By the way, isn't reading about him ITT finding his votes organically? It's not like we're actively looking for them. Well, maybe mirificus, but he's a non-organic lifeform anyways.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

trucutru posted:

Well, maybe mirificus, but he's a non-organic lifeform anyways.

He's the NPC Roberts wishes to create.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

:five:

I was so going to do a krieger last time.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foo Diddley posted:

You're a fan boy

Literally the fan boy.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bofast posted:

Bytes should never have a lower case 'b', as far as I know. That would be bits.
Also, you have to keep in mind that those 40 KB of gameplay would be coded with the usual CIG inefficiency, so they take up more memory than expected. :)

And here I thought the thread title was a joke about how many KeyBoards you have to have to get a decent keybinding setup in this game :shrug:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I got this message:

lol this is the bitchest of all moves. Hey Kazan, nice loving meltdown dude

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Speaking to intent. You should be shocked and somewhat displeased that they should lay such a scurrilous charge at your door, and that they truck with snitches.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Hahaha!

Pleas guys, can we get at least 200???

I'm sure CIG has over 200 users in just fake accounts. Sure they can make it. :3

I'm sure Clifford alone has 100 Twitter accounts just to retweet his own tweets re: fans

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

AAA2MMM

Yeah, that basically explains this shitshow.

It's the Video Game Centipede. :barf:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I ended up watching the 12 minute video posted.

It didn't look fun. I'm not sure why he didn't take his ship, but I'll assume he wanted to hijack the other one and that's no longer allowed because you can't click anything?

I think the best part, for me, was the keyboard binding screen that they had to make it so you couldn't look at the whole keyboard on screen at once, and had to pan across it.

I don't know about you, but one thing that is my nerve beef is having to scroll stuff horizontally. From excel sheets because some idiot designed it in a 4K monitor, to web pages where content doesn't scale properly.

I don't mind vertical scrolling. But don't make me go horizontal. :black101:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

ZenMaster posted:

Is it wrong to expect a developer have all of the planned features fleshed out and verified the tech exists before building something, or do all games promise things they know don't exist yet? Is that common?

Depending on where in there design process you start paying attention: yes it is common to promise things you know don't exist yet.

All games are acts of creative engineering bringing together art, code, sounds, game mechanics etc. Generally games try to push at least one part of the envelope, and it is expensive to design and engineer a game, so either the developer speculatively commits some of their resources to the early stages of development or they persuade a publisher to do this. In both cases, at some point, some small team of designers, artists and coders had to make a bunch of promises about things they were pretty sure they could pull off but not 100% sure.

Over the course of development, some things turn out to be easier than expected and some things turn out to be harder (most of the time, it's harder). Or an idea that made sense in your head turns out not to work once you've actually tested and experienced it. All along the way you are adding and removing features, changing the scope of the tech and the levels and making adjustments as your plan meets reality. This goes right up to the nervous final days as you race against time to close bugs and resolve problems.

So all the way through, there are promises that haven't yet been delivered upon (hence the notorious phenomenon of E3 demos that turn out to be much higher graphical fidelity than the final game—once more features made it into the game, they ran into optimization troubles and had to cut back on rendering resources in order to ship on time).

The thing is, you can be better or worse at this. And, most of the time, you don't start showing the press or the public what you are up to until you are very far along in development so you are really sure of what you can deliver. Crowdfunding messes up that rhythm by asking people to make the judgements of publishers and fund a game when it is in the very early stages. They count on developer reputation, early attractive mock-ups, and general enthusiasm for an IP or genre to bring money in the door.

Sometimes, that works out. Many crowdfunded games have gone on to be more or less what was promised, more or less when it was promised. Sometimes, you get Star Citizen.

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

I got this message:

Yeah, that's the one I got. I laughed.

Like, do the mods really track down anyone who voted on things? Especially for using their lovely voting system for how its supposed to be used?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Beet Wagon posted:

This is a fascinating opinion

Dark horse indie films The Hunger Games, Prometheus, and The Force Awakens were all catapulted to success by the Star Citizen effect.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Titanic posted:

I ended up watching the 12 minute video posted.

It didn't look fun. I'm not sure why he didn't take his ship, but I'll assume he wanted to hijack the other one and that's no longer allowed because you can't click anything?

I think the best part, for me, was the keyboard binding screen that they had to make it so you couldn't look at the whole keyboard on screen at once, and had to pan across it.

I don't know about you, but one thing that is my nerve beef is having to scroll stuff horizontally. From excel sheets because some idiot designed it in a 4K monitor, to web pages where content doesn't scale properly.

I hopped in the other guys ship because I knew I'd never figure out how to fly my own. I had problems with horizontal stuff too at the ship retrieval console, if you go too far left/right you stop "using" it. Probably should have waited for that guy to fly around but the low frame rate was driving me nuts.

Also I don't think you can really tell in the video, but when I walked on that guy's ship, the ramp was going up. That vertical movement was transferred to my char and continued until I hit the ceiling even though I was no longer on the ramp.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 17, 2018

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

phosdex posted:

I hopped in the other guys ship because I knew I'd never figure out how to fly my own. I had problems with horizontal stuff too at the ship retrieval console, if you go too far left/right you stop "using" it. Probably should have waited for that guy to fly around but the low frame rate was driving me nuts.

Also I don't think you can really tell in the video, but when I walked on that guy's ship, the ramp was going up. That vertical movement was transferred to my char and continued until I hit the ceiling even though I was no longer on the ramp.

My favorite part was the door comedy. First you tried to get out of the wank room, and the door closed before you could do it. Overcoming that obstacle, you came upon an NPC standing in front of a closed door, staring at it, and, as you approached, he walked away , as though he was giving up in disgust at the possibility of ever getting that door open.

When they finish the game, I hope the final boss is some kind of huge angry door.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Titanic posted:

It's the Video Game Centipede. :barf:

Yada yada you are the one that brought up tramp stamp shopping at Walmart so you are more gross.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Just buy a swivel mount for your monitor. Duh.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bmac32 posted:

Yeah, that's the one I got. I laughed.

Like, do the mods really track down anyone who voted on things? Especially for using their lovely voting system for how its supposed to be used?

They only do so when someone bitches about it. Specially if they mention their credentials while doing so. The thing is that one of the sacred (blessed them be!) rules of reddit is something about vote manipulation or whatever (doesn't matter, the definition changes according to the whims of the moderators). Because those votes are really loving important and you don't want people voting in the wrong way.

Funny thing is that Kazan also got a little slap in the wrist.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 17, 2018

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free
Tane. Derek is gay?

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

TheGodofIris posted:

Tane. Derek is gay?

Read the July blog to find out

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We've been saying for years the game will feature golden parachutes.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

TheGodofIris posted:

Tane. Derek is gay?

I hope so.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

And here I thought the thread title was a joke about how many KeyBoards you have to have to get a decent keybinding setup in this game :shrug:

You just need extra hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

Twyst
Mar 5, 2005
:O

VictorianQueerLit posted:

When you pay more than a passing attention to Star Citizen you start to lose the concept of the value of money.

It's how backers can poo poo on Elite having a $100 pricing model or bundled games costing $150 but not care about "Cheap" ships in Star Citizen being five hundred dollars. Single ships cost hundreds or thousands of dollars and people are just used to that idea.

It won't fully be realized until the game either finally releases or goes out of business and backers find out what they actually will receive for the money they spent and not what they can dream is possible.

I mean we all mock Clifford and he is a regular thread subject but it's hard to step back and think about how he has spent fifty thousand dollars on internet space ships. Fifty thousand dollars.

When Star Citizen gets poo poo canned before releasing the diehards will blame the "campaign of hate" rather than CIG / Chris Roberts.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Twyst posted:

When Star Citizen gets poo poo canned before releasing the diehards will blame the "campaign of hate" rather than CIG / Chris Roberts.

Of course they'll do that but only to save face, not because they believe it. They do think that CR is driving the project into the ground, they just haven't realized that he already did so and everything is already doomed.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

I'm about as outside as an outsider can get on this.

Basically a video game developer has been given millions of dollars in donations and has gently caress-all to show for it? It's basically the Goons in Hawaii thread x all kinds of meta?

e: I literally nothing about any modern games or pop culture. According to wikipedia it's using some new Amazon engine. Are they (Amazon) marketing this poo poo at all?

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 17, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

It would work that way, too, though :)

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SAGA OF LUCIMIA DEFENDS STAR CITIZEN’S SLOW PROGRESS, SHROUD OF THE AVATAR’S TRANSPARENCY

quote:

“There’s a major disconnect with some players when it comes to the misconceptions regarding iterations over the course of the game’s development,” argues Lucimia Creative Director Tim “Renfail” Anderson. “We see a lot of anger around the ‘net in regards to how things change over time with almost every MMORPG’s development, with many claiming the developers lied about how something was going to work, or how something was perceived as being a certain way, and then when it doesn’t work out quite the way players perceived, they claim that the developers deceived them, and that the launched product isn’t anything like what was initially discussed during the development process. The perfect example of this is Star Citizen/Squadron 42.”

Anderson points out that in spite of the company’s growth and endless parade of info dumps every week, “there is still a corner of the web that claims they are vaporware because they aren’t a released product yet. As if zero progress has been made.”

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

For context, this man is talking about surprising two strangers with tickets to the world's (upcoming) first luxury space hotel, on the grounds that they bilked him out of all of his money.

Chris and Sandi are like master pimps with all the backers as their bitches.

The dumbest ones, like this Relic idiot, swear Chris loves them and want to please him. Chris tells them he loves them and the way to show it is to suck more dicks and get him more money.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Twyst posted:

Its easier for me to see Roberts dialing further and further back on what he tries to deliver than failing to deliver anything, and he would continue to reframe the (d)evolving deliverable in such a way that his devotees will accept every last betrayal of every prior claim and this will leave a lot of the core faithful “satisfied” that he’s delivered both the BDSSE and the true successor to Wing Commander. If he can’t get 100 players in an instance, or 50 or 30 without stutterthons ensuing, he’ll call it a massive micro-multiplayer experience and talk about how he wanted smaller scale social experiences so that people could really cherish the intimacy not afforded by a more crowded, less personal multiplayer realm.

If Star Citizen launches in 2019 with 2 Star Systems, more bugs than Starship Troopers, with boring mechanics, an inert economy, with 95% of one’s playtime spent traveling on foot or in space to get somewhere to do some boring chore yet it has beautiful spaceships and places to land them (and even a place to call HOME), they will marvel that any game could ever be so beautiful, delight in their mundane activities and grind their way to nicer weapons/flair/clothing/housing and feel boundless gratitude for the chance to have done it. (Batgirl does this now with far less.)

If Squadron 42 has garbage FPS, lousy flight mechanics, and bad enemy AI all contributing to a passive but beautiful branched narrative movie that lands an IGN 4/10 but still gives you A CHANCE TO EARN YOUR GRUFF FATHER FIGURE’S LOVE BEFORE THE BITTERSWEET END, they will weep like children at the family dog’s death and declare it was worth it, every last penny they spent and every endless year they waited.

The Batgirls, Errises, Lesnicks and other cheesemongers disinterested in satisfying gameplay experiences (and a LOT of the core faithful still hanging on do not care about gameplay at all hence their indifference to criticisms about its absence) will simply enjoy the scenery and that part of it they “own”, and party up with friends who also love looking at games more than playing them. They will engage in gameplay of their own invention and be delighted by it. They want what they think is Second Life in space (the Fidelitous version) and I imagine Roberts can at least deliver something in that spirit someday.

I don’t think failure to deliver great games would matter. A beautiful collection of assets and environments tied together with primitive mechanics and some social tools will satisfy the far-goners and a lot of the whales still spending are exactly that. Ben Lesnick was exactly that, worshipping Chris for a string of games that haven’t aged nearly so well as some of their brethren because they were great more for their timing and machine demands than for anything else. Nobody fires up Wing Commander 1, 2, 3 or 4 for their replay value yet there are titles that look far more primitive that came before and after that I still can play with a smile on my face. They’re still great games.

Maybe the soft landing won’t happen and there will come a time when blame must be redirected towards an Enemy. Derek will happily savor that moment if it comes. But at that point, the narratives everywhere else will be assigned to Roberts above all others. There has been too much money raised, too much time spent, too many mistakes acknowledged, too much wasted opportunity — and all of it during years spent with Roberts crowing “Me! Me! Me!” for him to credibly name anyone other than himself should that happen.

IGN’s WING COMMANDER 4 REVIEW posted:

Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom

With gameplay as crap as this, Wing Commander 4 is $10 million too expensive

IGN StaffMay, 21 1997
Origin's Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom, has to be one of the greatest movies every to be released for the PlayStation. Oh, there's a game in it, too.

With a host of actors, including Mark Hamill from Star Wars and Malcolm McDowell from Star Trek Generations, Wing Commander 4 sets the stage with an awesome line-up of movie hall-of-famers. The story takes place with Maniac, a confederation pilot, going off to a desert planet to get Col. Blair to return to duty, and put down revolutionary forces threatening to overthrow the Confederation.

The majority of the game is spent watching FMV clips of the actors. Occasionally, you're called to choose between plot points. It has to be said the video quality is excellent for the PlayStation, with hardly any artifacting at all. However, this does not a game make.

The actual game part is extremely poor. Navigate your ship from base to base while shooting enemies. Set in a first-person perspective, you can track ships by radar and blast them away with a small variety of ships and weapons. The graphics are laughably bad when compared to the quality of video.

Besides outstanding on-screen performances, Wing Commander 4 has no redeeming qualities. The game stinks. The on-screen battles are presented in low-res and the control is simply horrible and painful to play. If you want to watch Mark Hamill in a bad movie, rent Corvette Summer. Otherwise, skip this $10 million flop.

fzA455 posted:

Basically a video game developer has been given millions of dollars in donations and has gently caress-all to show for it? It's basically the Goons in Hawaii thread x all kinds of meta?

e: I literally nothing about any modern games or pop culture. According to wikipedia it's using some new Amazon engine. Are they (Amazon) marketing this poo poo at all?

$180+ million for two games - a single player Wing Commander successor and a space sim MMO. The former is in pre-alpha in year six, the latter in “Alpha” (but technically also in pre-alpha.) It is year 6 of development and in Chris Roberts words its “still early days”, so presumably he may need half a billion and a few more years to deliver two games he promised he could make for $6 million in two years.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 17, 2018

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

fzA455 posted:

They say they are using lumberyard, and are being sued by Crytek as they were contracted to use cryengine.

What they've really done engine wise is anybody's guess, they tend to tell huge porkies.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

Reply on Twitter Reddit: “Kinda embarrassing asking for re-tweets then setting a low threshold like 200. Just extend it if you want.“

For sure! They can offer a new weapon in the store at 1000 retweets, a new concept ship in the store at 5000 retweets, and a promise to actually finish the loving game if they get 1 million retweets.

Oh, and hi everyone. I'd bring a gift, but i'm all out of JPGs!

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 17, 2018

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I got this message:

Me too! What a load of poo poo!

So when they all go on an r/Games thread and downvote anyone who disagrees with Star Citizen and the dream it strives to achieve, is that not vote manipulation?! Booooo!

IcarusUpHigh fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 17, 2018

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

What's it matter where you got the link from if someone is writing poo poo that is stupid as gently caress?

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Meridian posted:

What's it matter where you got the link from if someone is writing poo poo that is stupid as gently caress?

Doing so is an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, I think, and therefore bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Me: "hey I got a warning for brigading, wtf!!!"
Goon 1: "me too! wtf!"
Goon 2: "me too! wtf!"
Goon 3: "me too! wtf!"
Goon 4: "me too! wtf!"

:v: