Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I’m suspicious of Keane’s, because I expect better of him.
Other than that this is the only thing to really catch my eye

Sandwolf posted:

C'mon dude, I know this is a joke, but I agree. I think your obvious breadcrumbing is more scummy than town. It's effectively a completely safe gambit for scum to pull, and pretty risky as an actual town power role. Unless you're not a power role, in which case, I still think it makes more sense for scum to pull.

Also, hi, sorry, was with the girlfriend all weekend. I am here now, reading through.

This is Yami Fenrir's first participation in a mafia game, correct? They had a couple posts that pinged my hard but they couldn't seem to decide if they've played mafia before or not. Followed up with this:

I genuinely can't tell if he's being facetious.

Rock is town, unless the rest of the scum team are new/not posting in the scumdoc whatsoever. Also DB is probably town, all the cases on him are the same ones I’ve watched him get killed for as town in the last year or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Sandwolf posted:

You must be a hell of an autodidact, Yami, because your posting really does not strike me as that of a new player.

Sandwolf posted:

C'mon dude, I know this is a joke, but I agree. I think your obvious breadcrumbing is more scummy than town. It's effectively a completely safe gambit for scum to pull, and pretty risky as an actual town power role. Unless you're not a power role, in which case, I still think it makes more sense for scum to pull.

Also, hi, sorry, was with the girlfriend all weekend. I am here now, reading through.

This is Yami Fenrir's first participation in a mafia game, correct? They had a couple posts that pinged my hard but they couldn't seem to decide if they've played mafia before or not. Followed up with this:
[quote]
I genuinely can't tell if he's being facetious.

Sandwolf posted:

You must be a hell of an autodidact, Yami, because your posting really does not strike me as that of a new player.

I don't know why this is even up for debate. The fact that I've not taken part in any other mafia games is verifable. But I know what you're trying to imply here, and I'm going to tell you why it's bullshit.

You're implying that I'm scum and being told what to post by another player. But you know why it's bogus? Because I post way too much for that. I'm constantly drawing attention to myself via posting, and I'm scumhunting. A scum teammate would be telling me to not be so incredibly obvious about being tutored, as well.

But let me tell you why I stick out to you so much.

Because you're scum, and know I'm not part on your team.

You and AA are the only ones to point out the contrast between the fact I'm new to mafia games, and how experienced my posting seems. I think that town would have noticed this *eventually*. But you two noticed it *immediately*. Is it because I'm *not* on the scum team?

I'm curious. Either way, Sandwolf's post history amounts to roughly this:

CCKeane posted:

This is a lot of words to say nothing.

Even their prod towards me feels regurgiated from AA. If AA didn't tell them to do it, that is. The fact that AA went quiet after trying to jump on Harold does not sit well with me either. Did they realize their bandwagon attempt failed and are now trying to lay low?

Either way, Sandwolf is barely providing the illusion of content as is, and the only thing worthwhile they've done is their prodding of me. It took them two days to show up at all, and then all they do is throw shade at people. No casing, no real content, no real scumhunting.

Sandwolf is pinging my scumdar like crazy right now. ##vote Sandwolf

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.
What games did you study???

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

CCKeane posted:

I could be swayed, what's the argument?

DB is trying for the same angle that Retro tried for, and their posts are suspicious for some of the same reasons: attacks on Krell after he made some odd (but harmless) speculation that probably looked easy to capitalize on.

AA starts the discussion about setup spec, and I don't necessarily see a scum strategy in the way that he opens the discussion, and then pretty much immediately goes "gotcha" to one of the first responses to him. Strikes me as over-eagerness more than a trap sprung. Once the lifting is done, though, DB and Retro both try to slide into place behind him. Unlike Retro's post, DB feels around for momentum in a very non-committal way, so that he can remain suspicious of Krell, or (if that doesn't work) the people attacking Krell, and end up pointing whichever way the wind blows.

DB posted:

I see what you guys mean about IRSLR grasping to shade krell. Krell was (obviously, I think) stating that he/she values set-up spec posts over no posts, and would rather do the former versus the latter. But IRSLR somehow tries to twist that against krell by making it look like a lurker call out.

Interesting.

DB posted:

I'm suss of krell for the oddly specific set-up spec, IRSLR for his twisting of krell's response (could be bussing, who knows) and now this guy/gal:

The rest of it is asking people if they're scum and helpfully pointing that out the power role claims are jokes.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I'm still surprised you've never played a game and could tell exactly what I was implying. But that case sucks, so I don't think anyone signed off on that.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Ofc it does, it's d1 and i have no idea what I'm doing.

I've seen that exact accusation (someone else feeding lines) thrown around before in... i believe it was DBZ mafia 2?. Thats how i know what you were doing.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

It is you who are insane

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

Rock is town, unless the rest of the scum team are new/not posting in the scumdoc whatsoever. Also DB is probably town, all the cases on him are the same ones I’ve watched him get killed for as town in the last year or so

Ok so what in your mind is “scum DB” going to do then? This game he feels more fake than he usually does to me. I still don’t like AA either but in the interest of consolidating before I start work ##vote DB

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

zzyzx posted:

DB is trying for the same angle that Retro tried for, and their posts are suspicious for some of the same reasons: attacks on Krell after he made some odd (but harmless) speculation that probably looked easy to capitalize on.

AA starts the discussion about setup spec, and I don't necessarily see a scum strategy in the way that he opens the discussion, and then pretty much immediately goes "gotcha" to one of the first responses to him. Strikes me as over-eagerness more than a trap sprung. Once the lifting is done, though, DB and Retro both try to slide into place behind him. Unlike Retro's post, DB feels around for momentum in a very non-committal way, so that he can remain suspicious of Krell, or (if that doesn't work) the people attacking Krell, and end up pointing whichever way the wind blows.

The rest of it is asking people if they're scum and helpfully pointing that out the power role claims are jokes.

Okay.

##vote: DB

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Dick Bastardly posted:

Just because I agree with a case that isn't my own doesn't make me scum by the way.

its the way they were phrased that pinged me

Retro Futurist posted:

do you think krell is scum?

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Skimmed through posts this morning on my way to work, I'm town. RF might be trying to buddy me, I'm always suss of people defending me because I think the consensus is that keeping me in the game longer is generally bad for town. I'll be at work during deadline but I'll do my damnedest to check in periodically.

Didn't like the me too vote and non-posting about joke phase. ##vote Nutsack Rangoon

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Yami Fenrir posted:

I don't know why this is even up for debate. The fact that I've not taken part in any other mafia games is verifable. But I know what you're trying to imply here, and I'm going to tell you why it's bullshit.

You're implying that I'm scum and being told what to post by another player. But you know why it's bogus? Because I post way too much for that. I'm constantly drawing attention to myself via posting, and I'm scumhunting. A scum teammate would be telling me to not be so incredibly obvious about being tutored, as well.

But let me tell you why I stick out to you so much.

Because you're scum, and know I'm not part on your team.

You and AA are the only ones to point out the contrast between the fact I'm new to mafia games, and how experienced my posting seems. I think that town would have noticed this *eventually*. But you two noticed it *immediately*. Is it because I'm *not* on the scum team?

I'm curious. Either way, Sandwolf's post history amounts to roughly this:

Even their prod towards me feels regurgiated from AA. If AA didn't tell them to do it, that is. The fact that AA went quiet after trying to jump on Harold does not sit well with me either. Did they realize their bandwagon attempt failed and are now trying to lay low?

Either way, Sandwolf is barely providing the illusion of content as is, and the only thing worthwhile they've done is their prodding of me. It took them two days to show up at all, and then all they do is throw shade at people. No casing, no real content, no real scumhunting.

Sandwolf is pinging my scumdar like crazy right now. ##vote Sandwolf

that'sa spicy-a OMGUSball-a :discourse:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm not inclined to vote for Yami right now because 1) I don't like to lynch presumed newbies D1 of their first game and 2) I have a tendency to mistake self-important town for scum but that's probably the scummiest post in the thread so far

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't like doing a million line by line quotes so I'm trying something different, sorry in advance if people hate it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zzyzx posted:

DB is trying for the same angle that Retro tried for

Again, no. Not really sure what zzyzx is going for with constantly mischaracterizing my extremely straight forward vote, but I don’t love it

Atomic Soda posted:

do you think krell is scum?

Impossible to tell

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
RF since you're around can you answer this question

Hal Incandenza posted:

Ok so what in your mind is “scum DB” going to do then? This game he feels more fake than he usually does to me. I still don’t like AA either but in the interest of consolidating before I start work ##vote DB

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm not inclined to vote for Yami right now because 1) I don't like to lynch presumed newbies D1 of their first game and 2) I have a tendency to mistake self-important town for scum but that's probably the scummiest post in the thread so far

Hmm. that is a fair point. I'm probably too biased against the people I'm reading as going on the offensive d1, especially against me. Now that I think about, the reason they stick out to me so much is probably because their content wasn't just jokeposts. I'll drop it.

##unvote

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

RF since you're around can you answer this question

Not sure, I’m not like a DB expert or anything, I just constantly see him getting killed for the same things

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Retro Futurist posted:

Not sure, I’m not like a DB expert or anything, I just constantly see him getting killed for the same things

If he keeps doing scummy poo poo like chaining from one vague suspicion to another that's not a good reason to not lynch him for doing scummy poo poo.

I do read his vote on Nutsack as being pretty earnest, it's a pretty lonely vote and he's not really trying to start a bandwagon nor jump on one. But it's not really much more than a lurker vote so it's a fairly low risk play if he is scum.

We're coming up on deadline here and I'm not sure we actually have 8 votes present if another candidate emerges though

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
As the crew deliberates, everyone notices one voice is silent. You all turn to look at the one with the nickname "angry armadillo." He is sitting in an office chair staring at you all as you argue.

"Well?" someone speaks up, "Do you have anything to add?"

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh" he replies. And then slouches. His eyes are glassed over.

:siren: angry armadillo, Chung He, Space Station Scientist (Vanilla Town), died of old age (MODKILLED). :siren:

Turns out his final words weren't words after all, just the sound of air escaping his lungs. He was old as hell anyway.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Dick Bastardly (4): Straight White Shark, zzyzx, Straight White Shark, Somberbrero, Hal Incandenza, CCKeane
Harold Krell (2): Anomalous Amalgam, Retro Futurist, CCKeane, CCKeane
I R SMART LIKE ROCK (1): Yami Fenrir, Yami Fenrir, Straight White Shark
Nutsack Rangoon (1): Dick Bastardly
Anomalous Amalgam (1): Hal Incandenza, Nutsack Rangoon, Hal Incandenza
Sandwolf (0): Yami Fenrir, Yami Fenrir
CCKeane (0): zzyzx, zzyzx
Atomic Soda (0): Somberbrero, Atomic Soda, Atomic Soda, Somberbrero

Not Voting (5): Atomic Soda, Harold Krell, I R SMART LIKE ROCK, Sandwolf, Yami Fenrir

With 14 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 17th, 2018 at 9 a.m. PDT -- that's in about 43 minutes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I'm not familiar with Krell's history, does your policy vote have anything to do with him dropping off the face of the planet or does he usually do something else?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

-45 mins to deadline, do we have eight folks here?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
We’re getting close to the end of day. I’ve been re-reading Nutsack’s post history and they’ve got 5 posts that aren’t the initial sign-ups. There’s a vote for AA, a couple of posts about joke phase then asking Yami what previous games they’ve read. There’s no casing or really any reads; this fells like putting up the illusion of participating and not town like behavior

##vote Nutsack Rangoon

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Now that I reread the thread I'm not 100% sure why DB is getting voted so high? Yeah, their content is bad, but.. so is pretty much everyone's. And they're posting at least. Is it mostly a meta vote I don't understand? They ended up null in my read, which isn't helping my decision here.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I'm not familiar with Krell's history, does your policy vote have anything to do with him dropping off the face of the planet or does he usually do something else?

If I remember correctly (it's been awhile) Krell's first half dozen games kinda ended in flames or him being lynched D1, I can't remember why exactly. He may have been a shitbird but I think he tried reforming at some point to be less of a shitbird?

I'm pretty sure RF's hardline stance on him is not indicative of either of their alignments, though it does strike me as the type of thing Opop would utilize as scum to get through D1.

RF, if we don't lynch Krell today, what're you gonna do about it? I'm genuinely curious how you're gonna handle your own policy vote throughout the rest of the game, because if you're scum you've given yourself a backdoor to always vote him with flimsy support.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yami Fenrir posted:

Now that I reread the thread I'm not 100% sure why DB is getting voted so high? Yeah, their content is bad, but.. so is pretty much everyone's. And they're posting at least. Is it mostly a meta vote I don't understand? They ended up null in my read, which isn't helping my decision here.

I agree with this. I have no idea with DB is the vote leader right now, apart from their "I'm bad for the town anyways" Eeyore poo poo, I don't see any really scummy behavior.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

We’re getting close to the end of day. I’ve been re-reading Nutsack’s post history and they’ve got 5 posts that aren’t the initial sign-ups. There’s a vote for AA, a couple of posts about joke phase then asking Yami what previous games they’ve read. There’s no casing or really any reads; this fells like putting up the illusion of participating and not town like behavior

##vote Nutsack Rangoon

I don't think this is a good vote, -40 mins to deadline and we're not even sure we have eight people with which to switch to someone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

##vote Nutsack Rangoon

Again, this is basically a lurker vote. sometimes that's not a terrible policy, but you haven't exactly been doing a lot of scumhunting yourself. you've been posting a lot but most of your posts are defenses of yourself or others, which feels more scummy than town.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

I don't think this is a good vote, -40 mins to deadline and we're not even sure we have eight people with which to switch to someone.

I don’t believe DB is scum and I’m not going to vote for them. So I moved on to my next pick, and I provided my reasoning. Unless you’re arguing to turbo DB I don’t see the point in this really

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Again, this is basically a lurker vote. sometimes that's not a terrible policy, but you haven't exactly been doing a lot of scumhunting yourself. you've been posting a lot but most of your posts are defenses of yourself or others, which feels more scummy than town.

Are we going to argue about my vote or talk about why you feel DB deserves to be lynched? You voted for them earlier so I’m all ears

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

I agree with this. I have no idea with DB is the vote leader right now, apart from their "I'm bad for the town anyways" Eeyore poo poo, I don't see any really scummy behavior.

I still think stuff like this is fairly bad

Dick Bastardly posted:

I see what you guys mean about IRSLR grasping to shade krell. Krell was (obviously, I think) stating that he/she values set-up spec posts over no posts, and would rather do the former versus the latter. But IRSLR somehow tries to twist that against krell by making it look like a lurker call out.

Interesting.

Dick Bastardly posted:

I'm suss of krell for the oddly specific set-up spec, IRSLR for his twisting of krell's response (could be bussing, who knows) and now this guy/gal:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I don’t believe DB is scum and I’m not going to vote for them. So I moved on to my next pick, and I provided my reasoning. Unless you’re arguing to turbo DB I don’t see the point in this really

So you'd rather no lynch than lynch someone on D1 who you "don't believe" is scum?

I'll vote literally anyone in the game to prevent a no lynch today, can we not.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I still think stuff like this is fairly bad

I'm not sure I can speak for RF but isn't that exactly what he's accusing zzyzx of doing as well? Mischaracterizing his vote?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hmm, I don't really like this vote a lot, but I do want to avoid a no-hang. Ultimately though, they've not posted much content, and I just haven't been able to read them at all.

For the sake of avoiding a no hang (pretty much only, actually), I'll #vote Dick Bastardly

I'd still much rather hang Nutsack Rangoon and will switch if it looks feasible, though.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I think I'd rather vote Nutsack if only because the pattern of his posting feels more suspicious to me. Is anyone else here?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

That's -3 on DB

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yami you need 2 #’s for s vote to count. Also we have enough to lynch as with Yami‘ score it’s at -3

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

I'm not sure I can speak for RF but isn't that exactly what he's accusing zzyzx of doing as well? Mischaracterizing his vote?

you lost me? I'm suspicious of DB for his non-votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Oh, whoops, did it again. ##vote Dick Bastardly

One day I'll not screw this up...

• Locked thread