Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

The Lone Badger posted:

Then I vote
1 - nothing
2 - Large lab area/cellblock, small bedroom (400 gold) - get some Deep Ones to build our lair. Good, traditional Union craftsmen.
3B We need decent equipment to work our speciality, but blowing half our total net worth is too much. Especially if we turn out to have to flee our crumbling lair vowing revenge.
4C - Investment now reaps dividends later. Only a week and a half to be mana-neutral.

This gets my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

The Lone Badger posted:

Then I vote
1 - nothing
2 - Large lab area/cellblock, small bedroom (400 gold) - get some Deep Ones to build our lair. Good, traditional Union craftsmen.
3B We need decent equipment to work our speciality, but blowing half our total net worth is too much. Especially if we turn out to have to flee our crumbling lair vowing revenge.
4C - Investment now reaps dividends later. Only a week and a half to be mana-neutral.

I like this plan.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Lone Badger posted:

Then I vote
1 - nothing

:bandwagon:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Can’t we human traffic the (dead) victim and sell them to monster lab for money? Preserved Kidney worth something.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm bucking the trend because our point is to extract, so the sooner we are back to full mana essentially the faster we can probably get done. Magical "construction" takes three days, physical takes 7. There is not any difference in the amount of days to get up to 40 mana (9) with either this or Lone Badger's plan, it's just that this plan for a trade off of taking 5 more mana at the start and costs us 100 less gold that you start getting mana regenerated on day 4 instead of day 8. Basically this takes the same amount of days to get mana neutral and saves us 100 gold.

1) B - A small bedroom - 5 mana

2) A - large Lab/cell area - 300 Gold

3) B Good equipment - 500 gold

4) C - A channeling room - 10 mana

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 17, 2018

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Can we upgrade our equipment later once we've got perhaps some alternative source of funds going, or once we're taking on a second job?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm bucking the trend because our point is to extract, so the sooner we are back to full mana essentially the faster we can probably get done. Magical "construction" takes three days, physical takes 7. There is not any difference in the amount of days to get up to 40 mana (9) with either this or Lone Badger's plan, it's just that this plan for a trade off of taking 5 more mana at the start and costs us 100 less gold that you start getting mana regenerated on day 4 instead of day 8. Basically this takes the same amount of days to get mana neutral and saves us 100 gold.

This gets my vote. A proper overlord needs their own chambers to keep up appearances. Also by spending a little more mana at the start we help make sure we don't cap and have our mana sitting around unused later.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I see math; i vote This

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Sounds reasonable to me.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

As i was reading the previous plan started thinkinig this and glad to see it posted. EFFICIENCY PEOPLE.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
This is why you need resources, to get peoples brains working.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Gonna go with this. Though so tempted to splurge on 'the best stuff'

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Aye, this

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

HiHo ChiRho posted:

+1

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Alreading winning but This

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shogeton posted:

Gonna go with this. Though so tempted to splurge on 'the best stuff'

Need to have some gold leftover to leave glittering on the reef to attract the fishermen into the water with.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

HiHo ChiRho posted:

This seems sensible.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

HiHo ChiRho posted:

This

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Yep. So glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm convinced. Magical bedrooms are better anyway.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Accountancy is a Wizardry skill. Going with this.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Are we permitted to change votes?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Exactly so.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

Are we permitted to change votes?

Yep, but I think we have a clear winner!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Construction begins.

Having made her decision, Sarga chants out a message to the nearest Deep One colony, and they quickly send a team to begin construction of her labs.
The foreman is a hulking thing, and the bright waters around him cause him to walk around with a perpetual squint. His name is Gill. His parents were apparently no the most imaginative of people.

“Riggght. Waat you be waagntin then?”
he asks.
“I shall be using magic to construct my own quarters, as I will be attuneing it, but I need you to construct me a lab space and holding area for my subjects.” She uses her wand to begin sketching in the sand. The Deep One watches and makes notes on a tablet with wax. Working underwater does present some problems.
When she is finished, the deep one blows a short burst of bubbles - which above ground would be the equivalent of tutting or a short intake of breath - universal builders code for ‘this is going to cost you.’
“Seee, yourgh problum is that dis iss proteckted coral. Very hard t’ work aroung. Gonna cost mores.” Gill gurgles. Sarga haggles, and is able to get the work done for 200 gold more. She knows she is being ripped off, but she can’t get anyone else down here now. drat labour unions!

Once the Deep ones begin their work, Sarga is able to start her own spell. Reaching into to coral, she pictures the coral moving and growing at rapid speed, shaping it to her will. She sets into a trance for three days, her tentacles twitching only to grab the occasional fish that comes to close and pass it to the maw in the center of her tentacles. At least she would not wake up hungry.

After the three days, she then spends another day making micro adjustments in the local coral to better line it up with the local ley lines, soon her room is a nexus of power.
When she finally opens her eyes, she is sitting on her new bed. Looking around, she sees all comforts of home, a dressing table, an inbuilt wardrobe, a door of solid coral. The roof looks as if it is made of pearl, and glows with the light of the sun penetrating the water.

Walking down a short corridor that was not there when she had started her trance, she went to see how the Deep Ones were doing.
They had not been idle at least. They had hollowed out and pressurised a large space under the coral - this was important, as he human subjects would not be able to breath under water, to begin with at least. They had also created twenty holding cells, each on with bars of living coral. She was happy with this touch - especially with the money she was paying them! All around the lab they had worked the coral as much as possible without damaging it. It was not as artistic as it would have been had Sarga used magic, but it had a utilitarian look to it, and the uneven spines of coral that made up the walls gave a nice imposing look to the place.
After checking in with Foreman Gill, Sarga returned to her room. Here she had set up her own teleportation circle. This doubled as a method of travelling between her dungeon and the Dark Isle, and an emergency escape route in case the local heros got a bit over enthusiastic.

Stepping into the circle she returns to the Dark Isle. There she makes her way to the shopping district and begins to pick out her lab equipment. She can’t afford the best, especially after the gouging the Deep Ones gave her, but she gets some good pieces. She will be able to boost her spells with this. She arranges delivery at the end of the week, so it can be fitted by the Deep Ones.

Returning the the Sapphire isles, Sarga spends the next few days scrying the Isle for the Sapphires. The Dwarves want their first crate in a weeks time, then one a week from then on. They had been quite stringent in the timings, but it should be doable.

The week ends, and Sarga and Foreman Gill tour the facilities and sign off on the work. They have done a good job, and the labs are ready to go.
Now to get some gems!

Mana = 30/40
Gold = 1,000
Time until next delivery needed - one week.

Well, we rolled a 99 on our first skill roll, so things ended up costing us more. But at least everything is in place - now we have to decide how to get those gems. Time is against us now

1 - Where should be start the mine?
A - in the caves, this is the quickest route to the gems, but we are not sure if any humans use them.
B - Dig into the cliffs. This may still be noticed, but may go undiscovered for a time. And it’s hard to get to.
C - Tunnel from the reef. This is the longest method, but is hard for the humans above to detect.

2 - How shall we mine?
A - Magic - we shall use a spell to tunnel out the rock - this will depend on the answer to question 1 - if A it will take 10 mana and 3 days to get one crates worth of gems. If B, 20/5, if C 30/7.
B - We shall make some minions! - we shall capture some humans and meld them with sea beasts. Then put them to work!

I’ll give some options but feel free to come up with more - Please answer 2-B-Creature type. Again,

Crabmen - With a hard shell and claws, they should be perfect for mining. If you don’t mind your tunnels going sideways. They are also amphibious, but would not be the smartest.
Turtlemen - Again, the shell will make them tough, and they would be brighter than the crabmen, but slower.
Sharkmen. Vicous and stupid. They may not be great miners, but they would make for great defenders.

As creature creation is going to vary a lot, if you go for that option we’ll have another vote after the first creature(s) are created.
Making a creature will take 2 days, including capturing some subjects.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1A
2B - Let's make one shark man first to help capture more humans and guard the cave, then the rest will be crab people.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

1: A
2:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

What do we know about the local settlements? Any unrest or despair that might let us establish a cult, or at least attract people who've had their drat fill of life above the waves?

EDIT: Probably don't want to go much above secret cult; if the Kingdom of Light finds an actual devotion to us out here, they'll crush the settlements and tie us up in literal knots.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 18, 2018

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

1A
2B - Let's make one shark man first to help capture more humans and guard the cave, then the rest will be crab people.

If we're going for 2B, I think it's better to do the shark man last this week, since we'll need to fill that chest with crystals. The first creature we create will have five days of work before the first deadline, the second three and the third one, I don't see a shark man shaving enough time off other tasks to justify wasting at least two days of work on the first delivery.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sharkmen bad tunnellers? I call bullshit.

1A

2A

If anyone stumbles across us during the week, grab them with magics and shove them in a cage. Then turn them into monsters next week.

e: fixed tiny image for ants

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 18, 2018

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
1 B

2 B Turtlemen

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

And while I'm waiting for that:

1 A
2 B, start with a turtlemans, then a sharkmans, then a couple crabmans, then see where we go from there

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
1 B
2 B

Crabmen. We can manage a few dumb crabs.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
1C
2A
Remember why we're here and stay focused.

Also, I'm regretting not suggesting Brickroad, the world's first dungeon-human hybrid as a character.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nyaa posted:

We all know how much Heroes hates the sewer levels.:choco:

What I'm hearing is electrified seaweed.

1A, and 2B

If we find humans in those caves, they're fresh meat for transformation! We should make some eel-dudes first, so they're quick swimmers and can defend themselves with zappy bioelectricity!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 18, 2018

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

1B We are out here on our own, yes the humans don't know we're present but at the same time we want to get some mysterious disappearances before they start to notice. The mines are too exposed, the cliffs will offer some protection while we prepare for the locals.

2B Let's start building up a crabmen workforce. Quantity over quality here. They'll get the gems and start a supply chain, any humans who stray into the cliffs can be swarmed down and added to the workforce. If any escape, that is when we should focus more on sharkbois - when the humans come equipped and knowing what is waiting for them. So fishermen to crab people, crab people to the cliffs to mine, crab people zerg anything that discovers them, as soon as anything escapes we start making a few sharks. We also have plenty of marine life to work into monsters, don't have to rely just on humans.

e; If possible, we should capture a fisherman and let him watch us convert monsters. See if we can convert him into a cultist to go bring us volunteers and information.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 18, 2018

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
1A
2B Crabmen

If people go missing as a result of our tunneling, we'd better put them to work building up an economy before the heroes start investigating.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

1A

2B - sharkmen

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

All y'all 1A 2B Sharkmen folk are losing sight of our goals here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think we should be playing the long game here. Decisions made hastily lead to mistakes

1B - This does go a little bit against what I said above, but I think it's safer. If we mine from the coral, the mines will lead people straight to our lair. The cliffs are hard to detect, hard to get to, and, importantly, not connected to our stronghold, meaning no backdoors inside.
2B - Turtlemen - It's not sustainable to be mining out gems with magic, unfortunately. But smarter minions will at least be better about staying hidden. And once we start getting our steady supply line going we can start expanding our operations

Nephzinho posted:

All y'all 1A 2B Sharkmen folk are losing sight of our goals here!

:hai: