Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Excitement about implications of the patch name aside, holy poo poo yes an anomaly log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Late-game is the Contingency, Unbidden and such. Slightly before midgame is the Great Khan, and awakened fallen empires is midgame.

No, midgame is the Great Khan. It was specifically created to be a midgame crisis. Awakened empires were changed to endgame in Cherryh, according to Wiz: https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/958031540008685568

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Gyshall posted:

Yeah I'm hosed if it goes past 13

XIV.

You don't even need any new symbols until you want to go past XXXIX.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

No, midgame is the Great Khan. It was specifically created to be a midgame crisis. Awakened empires were changed to endgame in Cherryh, according to Wiz: https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/958031540008685568

i think there needs to be another midgame crisis since the khan is often minimally impactful to most of the galaxy

poo poo a Khanate war where another marauder wakes up and decides he hates the other khanate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gadzuko posted:

Oh, gotcha, they used to be midgame. I haven't reached the endgame in Cherryh yet, though I suspect it's just about to happen, so I plan on eliminating the fallen empires before they can awaken. Because they are always dicks, so they can get dunked on. Except the robot dudes, but they're kinda nuts and unpredictable.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Starting my first game since the big update, it seems like the game's more CPU heavy, my laptop's fans are going nuts.

I started an imperial plant species in syncretic evolution with a bunch of cockroaches, maybe i shouldn't have made them repulsive because my pops are permanently gloomy.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If you're doing syncretic evolution throw weak on your main race, you're never going to put them in the mines after you look at your sub-race's mineral bonus. I'm also fairly fond of sedentary, slower migration or a very marginal energy cost is quite low impact.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hell, slower migration is probably good, less downtime on your full planets

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Faster migration is better. Each planet can only grow one of each species at a time, so better to parallelise that as much as possible.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Thoughts? Toying with the idea of more starting civics. They're a cool loving mechanic.

Death world idea:

Precursor world idea:
https://i.imgur.com/Dwv4lGk.png

Fallen Empire world idea:
https://i.imgur.com/tUJrTkS.png

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Guilliman posted:

Thoughts? Toying with the idea of more starting civics. They're a cool loving mechanic.

Death world idea:

Precursor world idea:

My thoughts for the FE idea is that if possible, one of the FEs becomes the FE you "split" from... and they want nothing more than for you to "return home".

By force, if necessary.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

GotLag posted:

Faster migration is better. Each planet can only grow one of each species at a time, so better to parallelise that as much as possible.

Keep in mind that this really doesn't come into play until later in the game (and if you're leveraging a food bonus that is a static amount of growth no matter if you're making 1 pop or 10 - you'll get the same net growth bonus from food). So if you're getting all on board wanting max migration, leverage those trait points and gene mod off sedentary in the mid game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Man i made a machine empire and took the faster growth civic, and a starting trait of mass produced, these bad boys had my homeworld filled up in about 12 years, with the parts factory and harmony trads im getting 7% a month growth. might have to create some driven exterminators outta these guys. Far cry away from my synthetic ascension guys who capped at like 4%.

Synth ascensions really need that parts factory swap over from cytocenters imo, since it seems like no pop modifiers affect them after it

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone rolled a map where like 75% of the empires are robbits? I've always seen about the same ratio of empire types, but this game I'm playing has about 12 machine empires out of the 15 or so on the map. Luck of the draw. Only one of them is an exterminator too, all the rest are just normal ol' friendly robots.

What's odd though is they all want my food. I'm constantly being asked for food trades.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Guilliman posted:

Death world idea:

Precursor world idea:

The Death world idea is great, but a bit stifling. I can easily see a post-apocalyptic world end up as a death world thanks to the changed environment. Environmentalist would be a good pick for Deathworlders who fell in with their world so strongly they're now in symbiosis with it. And so on. I think I can come up with a reason to remove most of those restrictions. Except for Free Haven and Agrarian Idyll. Those two really don't work with a "Death World".

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Libluini posted:

The Death world idea is great, but a bit stifling. I can easily see a post-apocalyptic world end up as a death world thanks to the changed environment. Environmentalist would be a good pick for Deathworlders who fell in with their world so strongly they're now in symbiosis with it. And so on. I think I can come up with a reason to remove most of those restrictions. Except for Free Haven and Agrarian Idyll. Those two really don't work with a "Death World".

They're exclusive duo to the significant changes that are done to planets. + The modifiers on Fallen Empires and Precursor worlds really shouldnt stack with eachother (or the other bonuses). While fun to not restrict stuff, it's a balance and script coding concern that I'm not doing it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone rolled a map where like 75% of the empires are robbits? I've always seen about the same ratio of empire types, but this game I'm playing has about 12 machine empires out of the 15 or so on the map. Luck of the draw. Only one of them is an exterminator too, all the rest are just normal ol' friendly robots.

What's odd though is they all want my food. I'm constantly being asked for food trades.

I've gotten to the point that I just bit the bullet and made 20 races of my own. That way there's always some of everything, I've got some pre-loaded storylines, and I never have to learn the names of any pre-genned races besides the FEs and Marauders. It's just easier that way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

jng2058 posted:

I've gotten to the point that I just bit the bullet and made 20 races of my own. That way there's always some of everything, I've got some pre-loaded storylines, and I never have to learn the names of any pre-genned races besides the FEs and Marauders. It's just easier that way.

Yeah that's how I used to roll but it got a bit boring after so many maps. Since 2.0 came out I feel like I've been in full time testing mode, never really playing the game, just testing it. So trying to play as vanilla as possible to try to figure out what's working and what isn't.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I like to do this and leave 1-2 spots open to add some surprise into the mix. Also I kind of have made like 50+ races by now, please send help :suicide:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm just digging into this game and holy crap does it ever effortlessly chew through time

Is terraforming worth doing? It seems like it might be worth it to not deal with unrest issues, but thousands of game days into early-mid game is still not nothin'.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not a Children posted:

Is terraforming worth doing?

Depends what you're playing. If you're a Xenophobe, or playing with Nonadaptive because those two points are amazing, then yeah absolutely. Or if you're robots, making Machine Worlds is pretty great, though by the time you get them it won't matter.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Reasons machine worlds are great:
-wiping out pre sentients
-wiping out existing pops
-removing all blockers
-sweet +20% resource bonus to yields

I don't see how you can say they don't matter by the time you get them, endgame fleets are incredibly resource hungry, having +20% more minerals and energy is a huge help when fleet cap approaches 1000+

Also you can 'bank' the energy cost by terraforming planets you don't want to terraform and then canceling the terraform later, since it takes forrrrrrrrrever

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not a Children posted:

I'm just digging into this game and holy crap does it ever effortlessly chew through time

Is terraforming worth doing? It seems like it might be worth it to not deal with unrest issues, but thousands of game days into early-mid game is still not nothin'.

A lot of things in stellaris are hard to determine if they are worth it. One key thing to remember though is that you have limited resource storage, so sometimes just spending on poo poo doesn't have a big downside. Energy tends to pile up and isn't used for a lot of stuff so if you're sitting on 15k energy why not toss 5000 of that at a planet and forget about it, then decades later, hey, a nice colonizable planet with no tile blockers!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Terraforming is sometimes worth it, depends a lot on how much +habitability you have, and excess energy. If you spend a perk later you can terraform to gaia worlds, which is basically always amazing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of things in stellaris are hard to determine if they are worth it. One key thing to remember though is that you have limited resource storage, so sometimes just spending on poo poo doesn't have a big downside. Energy tends to pile up and isn't used for a lot of stuff so if you're sitting on 15k energy why not toss 5000 of that at a planet and forget about it
Because you're killing the native biomes :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Splicer posted:

I like how moo3 actually had biodiversity as a thing. So a planet could be extremely fertile but have low biodiversity and just be good for growing food, but it could also have a very high biodiversity meaning it was full of strange and valuable poo poo to harvest and I think translated into more money and science from your farms since you were finding new medicines or tastey fruit and poo poo.

It's weird how much Stellaris makes me appreciate what moo3 tried to do.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Those reasons and things like "internal factions" is why I find more and more playthroughs as a base robot empire to be the most enjoyable way to play stellaris 2.0. Get hosed meatbags, no food just energy and minerals and ownage. :hellyeah:

Aside from the pop building which sucks all loving game long.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Splicer posted:

They deserve it for not being optimal enough.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't see how you can say they don't matter by the time you get them, endgame fleets are incredibly resource hungry, having +20% more minerals and energy is a huge help when fleet cap approaches 1000+

Well by the time you're in a position to have many Machine Worlds, you're usually powerful enough that you've basically won anyway. They're really helpful in the late game, but it's pretty rare for it to make a decisive difference.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

Well by the time you're in a position to have many Machine Worlds, you're usually powerful enough that you've basically won anyway. They're really helpful in the late game, but it's pretty rare for it to make a decisive difference.

I still disagree, I guess. When contingency spawns a 150k fleet you really have to be able to deal with that 150k fleet, and that really requires a ton of mineral and energy upkeep. If you have 15 planets and they all generate 20% more that means way more headroom with all your costs staying the same.

There's no "by then you've basically won" because of the 500 drags and taxes on the players from starbase cap to fleet cap to navy cap to shipyard cap to resource storage cap, and spawning mega crises against these caps you'll have to deal with. Having money and resources and the ability to build and dump it into megaprojects (50k a pop, 2/3 of your storage) and trade energy for minerals seems handy, to me, all game long.

Like +1000 energy and +2000 minerals seems about right to be a serious contender during endgame and having the planets yield 20% more helps get there.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 17, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still hate the habitability and terraforming system.
In other games you'll have cool poo poo like one race wanting terran planets, another wanting an ammonia hellscape, and so on. In stellaris the planet types are all just slight variations on earth climates that humans can mostly live in fine as is, let alone with space tech. It's just so boring. But then you have gaia planets which everyone can live in at maximum habitability? What does that even mean? If species are so fussy about the climate how can an entire planet be suitable for everyone? "Oh it's just really diverse so there's a climate zone for every taste" then how come I can fill it up 100% with one species? Where's the diverse climate zones on other planets?

Either make the game something like moo where everyone pretty much wants the same type of planet and terraforms towards it, or have very different mutually exclusive planet preferences and no magical planet where everyone gets 100% habitability. With the current habitability system I really wish habitats were built with a specific climate and gaia planets just didn't exist, or "gaia" was just a planet mod that could be applied to any planet.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

In other games you'll have cool poo poo like one race wanting terran planets, another wanting an ammonia hellscape, and so on. In stellaris the planet types are all just slight variations on earth climates that humans can mostly live in fine as is, let alone with space tech. It's just so boring. But then you have gaia planets which everyone can live in at maximum habitability? What does that even mean? If species are so fussy about the climate how can an entire planet be suitable for everyone? "Oh it's just really diverse so there's a climate zone for every taste" then how come I can fill it up 100% with one species? Where's the diverse climate zones on other planets?

Either make the game something like moo where everyone pretty much wants the same type of planet and terraforms towards it, or have very different mutually exclusive planet preferences and no magical planet where everyone gets 100% habitability. With the current habitability system I really wish habitats were built with a specific climate and gaia planets just didn't exist, or "gaia" was just a planet mod that could be applied to any planet.

the only game i recall that did something dissimilar was Master of orion 3, with their gas giant races etc. it was pretty clever there, and it would have been cool of stellaris to have a gas giant habitability setting which flat out does not let you live on standard planets

e. also paradox please make machine built ringworlds machine world. you dont get a gaia benefit as machines.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah man, this is my biggest complaint about this game and scifi games in general. Why can't we have fun and weird planets? I'd love having aliens with alternative biochemistries that live in different niche environments and try to terraform other people's worlds against their will. Why always this cliche poo poo with "OCEAN" "JUNGLE" "DESERT" and so on?

As the game is now, anything to do with the surface of the planet is the most boring part of the game. Building buildings isn't fun at all, it feels more like a tedious minigame. I also kind of hate surface battles because of how abstract and dull they are.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Endless Space 2 has a race that lives on ice planets because they come from a weird blank white octagon dimension, and color is horrifying to them. I think the MoO reboot had some planet diversity in that some races would terraform towards a unique biome that only suited them, but it wasn't a huge deal otherwise. It's not much of a deal in 4X games right now and I'd definitely like it to be more of a thing.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

IIRC in the Gal Civ series some of the more interesting ideas for genuinely different planet types were Toxic, Radioactive, and High Gravity. Throw in molten worlds and gas giants. It would also make migration treaties much more interesting when there are entirely different classes of worlds that different species cannot cross habitate.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Baronjutter posted:

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah man, this is my biggest complaint about this game and scifi games in general. Why can't we have fun and weird planets? I'd love having aliens with alternative biochemistries that live in different niche environments and try to terraform other people's worlds against their will. Why always this cliche poo poo with "OCEAN" "JUNGLE" "DESERT" and so on?

I totally agree that 'ammonia hellscape' would be way cooler than 'tundra world', but on the gameplay side I think Stellaris has it right.

If the planets were totally incompatibile between species it would make planets even less interesting. It would be a binary flag - either Species X can live on Planet Y, or they can't and it's effectively a dead planet to them unless they terraform it. And multi-species planets become much rarer.

The more granular system of Stellaris is a better design - if you conquer a planet that's kinda lovely for your species, you can realistically (a) suck up the -happiness penalty (b) find another species that likes it (c) invest in robots (d) genemod your species to like it (e) partially or wholly terraform it (f) any combination of a/b/c/d

That said, I do think habitability is a little too easy to manage right now, and that numbers could be tweaked a little harsher, if nothing else as a boost to xenophile empires.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Those reasons and things like "internal factions" is why I find more and more playthroughs as a base robot empire to be the most enjoyable way to play stellaris 2.0. Get hosed meatbags, no food just energy and minerals and ownage. :hellyeah:

Aside from the pop building which sucks all loving game long.

This is why assimilatiors rule. The cyborgs happily grow like normal pops and work most everything, and I build a handful of robots for the tiles that suit their specially tailored bonuses.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I still disagree, I guess. When contingency spawns a 150k fleet you really have to be able to deal with that 150k fleet, and that really requires a ton of mineral and energy upkeep. If you have 15 planets and they all generate 20% more that means way more headroom with all your costs staying the same.

There's no "by then you've basically won" because of the 500 drags and taxes on the players from starbase cap to fleet cap to navy cap to shipyard cap to resource storage cap, and spawning mega crises against these caps you'll have to deal with. Having money and resources and the ability to build and dump it into megaprojects (50k a pop, 2/3 of your storage) and trade energy for minerals seems handy, to me, all game long.

Like +1000 energy and +2000 minerals seems about right to be a serious contender during endgame and having the planets yield 20% more helps get there.

Could just be a different in style. If I get to 2400 or whatever the default endgame year is now, and I only have 15 planets, that means things are already seriously wrong.

Sloober posted:

e. also paradox please make machine built ringworlds machine world. you dont get a gaia benefit as machines.

Pretty sure you do. I was checking modifiers just yesterday, and was surprised to see I was picking up +10% production or something for machines on an FE Gaia world.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm kinda in love with genetic ascension non-zerg hivemind. Without the hungering swarm whatever civic, you're basically just playing one person with lots of arms and the dialog changes are pretty rad. And I also definitely love the genetic ascension path most of all three of them. (It is nice to capture -other- psionics though.)

By the way, there was a War in Heaven in this game I've been playing as the hive mind (Holy Guardians awakened as Doctrinal Enforcers, and then the Enigmatic Observers.. also awakened as Doctrinal Enforcers?) and I stayed neutral because I wanted to make -everyone- part of me. There was a big war and all and eventually I fought my way into the homeworld of the Holy Guardians and captured them all and they ceded victory.. at which point I gained all of their vassals, which I wasn't expecting. Especially when one of their vassals turned out to be their rival in the War in Heaven.

So now I have an awakened empire as a vassal and the game doesn't really seem to have any way of dealing with that. I can't integrate or release them and the only thing they say when I speak to them is "Greetings!", but they do join in with my wars.

Edit: oh yes, please add more origin civics. I love the Origin Civics mod but it could always use more options. I was playing Voidborne in this game and it was a fun little thing working my way through the Society research and genemodding to live on regular planets. It was especially nice with planet modifiers that gave habitat bonuses so I could put a habitat down over a planet and automatically get like +40 minerals and +60 energy from it as soon as I colonised it.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There need to be religion mechanics, it makes no sense that spiritualist empires like each other simply for being religious. That's not how it works!