Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Rutibex posted:

what is their target market for this thing, eccentric penny pinching millionaires that shop at costco?

Zuckenfuck or similar might buy it on a lark when they need to impress a new sexpartner after thier current "piece" gets sick of their tism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

:psyboom:

Save on batteries and that tub of mayo. Eventually, you can afford THIS

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

GORDON posted:

That's got to be worth a smash and grab for a lot of people.

Guess what. It's fake. The real one is in the store safe/vault.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Meydey posted:

yeah, no way they would even trust their employees to have access to that ring

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rutibex posted:

what is their target market for this thing, eccentric penny pinching millionaires that shop at costco?

Millionaires who have yet to drop the prenup on their spouse to be.

PBUC that returns policy.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I married my wife with a Costco ring. It is really nice looking and is still in perfect shape 7 years later, crystal clear diamonds. It was also 1/2 the price of a jewelry store ring.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Meydey posted:

Ah.

Pretty sneaky, Costco.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Peachfart posted:

I married my wife with a Costco ring. It is really nice looking and is still in perfect shape 7 years later, crystal clear diamonds. It was also 1/2 the price of a jewelry store ring.

You probably bought a ring with a lower clarity rating. That's actually a good thing in my opinion - clarity isn't actually a big deal and if you're going to compromise on one aspect of a ring it is absolutely the clarity. The inclusions that would lower a clarity rating are normally not something you could see with the naked eye unless you get pretty low in the ratings.

Costco really likes selling lower clarity diamonds because of this fact, it brings their pricing down and it's not something that would affect the everyday look of the stones at the ratings that they tend to go for (VS2ish)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

GORDON posted:

That's got to be worth a smash and grab for a lot of people.
And risk being banned from the 'Co???

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Real diamonds are not crystal clear - crystal is.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Teikanmi posted:

Real diamonds are not crystal clear - crystal is.

Of course. I don't understand the point you're trying to make?

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
The other day at costco i saw a man fondling himself.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Taima posted:

Of course. I don't understand the point you're trying to make?

It wasn’t directed at you, but rather Peachfart and anyone else should be wary of a ring that is advertised as crystal clear.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

pls don't dox me

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Playing with his hotdog?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm sorry sir but mayo is not an approved condiment.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

one time I saw a couple legit loving in the parking lot at the 'Co

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Ghostnuke posted:

one time I saw a couple legit loving in the parking lot at the 'Co

Overcome with joy from all the deals, no doubt.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

And there the messiah was conceived.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

wrapped in swaddling sherpa, the messiah was placed in a shopping cart and slept in the tire and lube center for there was no room in member services

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

So was there any tread left on the tires or was it pretty much like throwing a hotdog down a warehouse aisle?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Teikanmi posted:

It wasn’t directed at you, but rather Peachfart and anyone else should be wary of a ring that is advertised as crystal clear.

It wasn't advertised as such, I just think it is really nice looking. It was a platinum ring with 4 medium sized diamonds in a square set with a whole bunch of tiny diamonds on the sides.
The important thing is that my wife really likes it and gets compliments on her wedding ring to this day.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
The only thing I really buy at Costco is Bold Rock Cider. It's only $30 for 24, while usually a 12 pack costs $18. It's nice.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Buy a dog or some za imho.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
The honey chipotle chicken has been replaced with garlic sesame... And that cot hammock was not there!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

RJWaters2 posted:

The honey chipotle chicken has been replaced with garlic sesame... And that cot hammock was not there!

Perhaps... your faith is being tested?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Have learned to accept soviet style shopping at Costco. More than once I have been thrilled by some cheap and awesome thing only to never see it again.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

stealie72 posted:

Have learned to accept soviet style shopping at Costco. More than once I have been thrilled by some cheap and awesome thing only to never see it again.

But the shelves have items on them and you leave with food after standing in line? :confused:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Costco Australia’s bizarre bid to be a high-end diamond ring retailer

Australian shoppers at discount retailer Costco might be surprised to find a diamond ring worth nearly $1 million nestled in among the giant packs of toilet paper and bulk batteries.

On Sunday, Sky News reporter Jennifer Bechwati found a 6.55-carat ring, priced at $499,999.99, lurking in the aisles of the company’s Canberra store and shared a photo of the unusual item to Twitter, garnering hundreds of stunned comments.

It turns out the rock is one of several “wow” items stocked in each of the company’s nine Australian stores, including a $875,000, 13.72-carat yellow diamond at Costco’s Moorabbin store in Victoria.

“Each warehouse has a unique piece which is what we define as a ‘wow item’,” Costco’s jewellery buyer Jennifer Cataldo told The New Daily.

“It could be a ring, could be a pendant, could be earrings, but it’s primarily a diamond piece and they tend to hover between $300,000 and $850,000.”

The half-a-million dollar ring spotted by Ms Bechwati has actually been in the Canberra store since its 2011 launch, with Ms Cataldo admitting it had proved a hard sell given its exorbitant price.

“It’s quite difficult [to sell] … we’ve sold a lot of high-end pieces but not at that price point.”

And that’s with the Costco discount applied. Ms Cataldo confirmed the diamond carried a reduced price tag.

“We comp quite aggressively in the market so we like to see savings of a minimum value of around 20 per cent.”

Costco’s diamonds are sourced from wholesalers in the United States and the company employs a quality control team to ensure the cut, grading and metal is “correct”.

The irony of a single glistening diamond in between aisles of dustpans and baby wipes was not lost on Twitter, with many wondering how it fitted into the store’s low-price theme.

“You have to buy them in the value six pack,” one joked.

“How much is it at Aldi?” another wrote.

To shop at Costco you must be a member, with annual membership fees starting at $55.

In addition to its nine locations in New South Wales, Victoria, ACT, Queensland and South Australia, the US-based company is opening two more stores in Australia this year – one in Epping, Victoria, in August and another in Ipswich, Queensland, in November.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2018/04/16/costco-australia-diamond-ring/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
if you are buying a half million dollar diamond, doesn't getting the 20% off costco discount version kind of defeat the purpose? you are supposed to be showing off your wealth, spending less just makes you look like a chump

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Rutibex posted:

if you are buying a half million dollar diamond, doesn't getting the 20% off costco discount version kind of defeat the purpose? you are supposed to be showing off your wealth, spending less just makes you look like a chump

There is a particular slice of rich people who have 1) a ton of loving money but 2) LOOOVE to get a good deal. This is basically right in the middle of Costco's wheelhouse.

They sell you a 5* vacation at 4* prices, they sell you a premium car at 10% below MSRP, they sell you prime but price it like choice, they sell you Blue Label at $180 a bottle.

Kirkland Napa County should be like a $25 bottle, but it's $13.99 etc. etc. etc.

PBUC

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rutibex posted:

Uh, rich people don't spend money like that. They should but spending money (and thus putting it back in to the market) should be a sign of wealth too and it isn't so :toot:

A rich person is always worse for your economy than the same wealth but in x amount of middle class people.

Costco is savings for all, thus good :patriot:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
rich people are some of the cheapest motherfuckers on the face of the earth

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

KakerMix posted:

Uh, rich people don't spend money like that. They should but spending money (and thus putting it back in to the market) should be a sign of wealth too and it isn't so :toot:

A rich person is always worse for your economy than the same wealth but in x amount of middle class people.

My brother-in-law is rich and likes to go to Costco and blow massive amounts of money on giant TV's and such. I don't think he'd buy that ring, but he could certainly afford it and loves Costco.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Peachfart posted:

My brother-in-law is rich and likes to go to Costco and blow massive amounts of money on giant TV's and such. I don't think he'd buy that ring, but he could certainly afford it and loves Costco.

Great! That isn't common at all, at least in the United States.
Doesn't change the fact that 10 people with the same wealth as your brother in law is still better for the economic engine but I don't exactly want people busting down my door because I have more either, but facts be facts yo.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

KakerMix posted:

Great! That isn't common at all, at least in the United States.
Doesn't change the fact that 10 people with the same wealth as your brother in law is still better for the economic engine but I don't exactly want people busting down my door because I have more either, but facts be facts yo.

I agree with you. Plus he is a nutty libertarian(surprise) and I don't get along with him very well.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

I'm trying to imagine a woman showing off that ring to her friends and bragging, "He got it at Costco!"

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

you would never tell your bleach blonde bimbo trophy wife where you got her rock from

naem
May 29, 2011

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

you would never tell your bleach blonde bimbo trophy wife where you got her rock from

Yeah this is for your second wife/embarrassing mistress (the one with the New Jersey accent and annoying laugh who wears leopard print yoga pants)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Thinking bout that rock dog. Gonna go there today I think.