Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Today is mtd day, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

hot balls man no homo posted:

Today is mtd day, right?

Having any expectations at all is the best way to get burned out.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

hot balls man no homo posted:

Today is mtd day, right?

No this is the "I don't want to do discovery yet" resolution. Which is probably going to result in another conference set so that the magistrate judge can mediate discovery requests, since the parties can't seem to work it out themselves.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beet Wagon posted:

We've reached a point where the Free Fly events aren't even drawing people. I had a mosey through the "Hey Free Fly peeps, how'd you like it?" reddit thread, and 19 out of 20 responses at the time I went through there started with "Well I've owned the game for a while, but I thought it was awesome!..."

I hesitate to say something drastic like "This is the beginning of the end" because the Roberts boys always manage to find another stack of haybales to jump the General LeeBishop off of, but I think it's definitely a sign that whatever outside interest has been helping keep this game afloat for the last year or so is gone. Now we really get to watch the whales eat each other.

“It’s Saturation”

Late in the cycle I can't sell
finding new buyers gets hard as hell
I've been shilling all day, can't close the sale
I think the sea’s fished out of whales

Can’t keep racing on an empty tank
With a hundred trailers for a game full of jank
Response rates high with a bad result
Everyone says that I’m in cult

Oh no it’s finally here
What once was dim
Is finally clear

It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation

Referral code ain’t been used in weeks
When the hell did this thing peak?
It’s getting so hard just to play the game
It was once my pride but now my shame

With the Free Fly on I decided to stream
So I could talk some more chumps into backin’ this dream
Sherman showed up, and a half dozen goons
For 10 FPS on an empty moon

Oh no, it’s finally here
Maybe I should
Should’ve listen to Beer?

It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation

Saturate me baby

Spirits sink when I count the cash
Buying my fleet in this pile of trash
Pennies on the buck if I pump and dump
Lord just send me one last chump

It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation

Oh no not again
It hurts so bad
Now I understand

It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation
It’s saturation

That’s a pretty good introduction and I share similarly skeptical conclusions, though maybe have a harsher opinion of Chris at this point. He no doubt is the primary emitter of a reality distortion field — and those closest to him quickly are enveloped in it and learn the wisdom of seeing the world through his history revising, future certain lens. I think his malevolence is most palpable in how he rationalizes excusing all his former deceptions rather than close the feedback loop so he can feel contrition.

Anyway, glad you’ve signed up. Make sure you pay a visit to the links VirtualCaptain dropped in if you haven’t seen them. There’s a wealth of archived hilarity and useful resources poorly organized in this sprawling goon mess but those are good places to hit if any aren’t familiar to you...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

so cliffyB couldn't copy Overwatch right so he tried to copy PUBG poorly? Laffo.

Everyone is chasing the golden goose because the market is saturated to gently caress with decent titles.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-25-what-went-wrong-with-lawbreakers

"They're just looking for clicks, man," Bleszinski says of the games press. "They're just looking for ad revenue. We're going to keep doing what we're doing, and they're welcome to print whatever they want - but as far as I'm concerned, they can gently caress off. We're going to keep making our game for our fans."

[...]

"He continues: "You'd be surprised how your average fanboy thinks with their heart and can't wrap their head around business decisions. They can't understand that I have 65 employees here that have families to support and health insurance to pay. There are legal fees, we have to keep the lights on - there's a lot that goes into business because yes, games are art but they're also commercial art. It's amazing the amount of people that tweet me saying I should make a new Gears game, or a new Jazz Jackrabbit."

There's a peculiar feeling about the concept of the unicorn in silicon valley; Zuckerberg, for example, is the chance intersection of someone with a particular attitude towards privacy and the collegiate body of Harvard wanting to rate each other. He has no particular smarts or knowledge beyond the lightning strike that got him there, which is one reason why Facebook keeps buying things to provide their next stage for the post-privacy conversation.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

That’s a pretty good introduction and I share similarly skeptical conclusions, though maybe have a harsher opinion of Chris at this point. He no doubt is the primary emitter of a reality distortion field — and those closest to him quickly are enveloped in it and learn the wisdom of seeing the world through his history revising, future certain lens. I think his malevolence is most palpable in how he rationalizes excusing all his former deceptions rather than close the feedback loop so he can feel contrition.

Anyway, glad you’ve signed up. Make sure you pay a visit to the links VirtualCaptain dropped in if you haven’t seen them. There’s a wealth of archived hilarity and useful resources poorly organized in this sprawling goon mess but those are good places to hit if any aren’t familiar to you...

I think he has a narcisistic personality. He thinks he can do no wrong. When he admits to something being his fault, its because he didn't think big enough, not that he was thinking too big. I think he can rationalize every mistake he has made in a way that reflects well on him.

And of course, i've read and watched all those links. Like i said, i've been following the drama for some time.

By the way, like many, i do work in software development, i've been in IT most of my career, and have been a project manager. So it was always funny when a SC cultist says "You just don't understand software development" :D

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Oh, hello. I think I read your words from the Fdev thread. Glad to have you here. So um, I'm sure you are aware since you read this thread that it's a lot of taking the piss. We post real stuff here sometimes too, but topics ebb and flow when we aren't eating each other. I encourage you to read around the forums a bit as well. I hear some people even talk about games they like sometimes, shocking as the thought is.

Welcome, and I hope you have fun commandoe.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Virtual Captain posted:

Concerning Lumberyard, I think what PederP pointed out was the most solid evidence. It is very likely their "switch" was not as easy or clean as they would like backers to believe. Chris told everyone: "I think it took us a day or so of two engineers on the engine team" which is a comically unrealistic amount of time to make the changes they claim.

Well, since all they did was change the jpeg for the loading screen, 2 engrs x 2 days, or almost 100 man-hours for CIG checks out.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Lowtax finally got my dollahs. I think it's only fair that I give him the same amount of money that I gave Crobbers.

Also Derek banned me from his Discord a while ago, so it's a purchase in appreciation of his banning here.
And it's Ok MOMA, I kickstarted a belt too.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Hav posted:

Everyone is chasing the golden goose because the market is saturated to gently caress with decent titles.

"He continues: "You'd be surprised how your average fanboy thinks with their heart and can't wrap their head around business decisions. They can't understand that I have 65 employees here that have families to support and health insurance to pay. There are legal fees, we have to keep the lights on - there's a lot that goes into business because yes, games are art but they're also commercial art. It's amazing the amount of people that tweet me saying I should make a new Gears game, or a new Jazz Jackrabbit."

If this were Chris Roberts he'd guarantee he would make the next Gears or Jazz Jackrabbit. He already seems to honestly believe he can - on purpose - make the next Minecraft.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Fidelitious posted:

Lowtax finally got my dollahs. I think it's only fair that I give him the same amount of money that I gave Crobbers.

Also Derek banned me from his Discord a while ago, so it's a purchase in appreciation of his banning here.
And it's Ok MOMA, I kickstarted a belt too.

tell us about your belt friend.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

Don't doxx your belt friend, unless you mean your belt, friend. In that case, tell us, about your belt friend's belt, friend.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Belt buddies

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah, more or less from the beginning and was skeptical about how good the game would be even back during kickstarter.

Have you read the Stimpire lore?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that Kazan fellow is Derek LASTNAME (he's on LinkedIn) btw. He's a moron. Which means Shitizen candidate. I blocked him on Twitter back in 2015.

https://twitter.com/Denidil/status/651088364062375936

No, I'm not Derek LASTNAME

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

I leave the internet for a week and this happened?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

If this were Chris Roberts he'd guarantee he would make the next Gears or Jazz Jackrabbit. He already seems to honestly believe he can - on purpose - make the next Minecraft.

I think it's more that he does the thing of gathering a team and letting the reflected glow do the work for him, it's just that the whole micro-managing thing stops him from being effective. We've all met the idea guys, the ones on the narcissistic spectrum are the worst because their ideas are sound, but it's 'everyone else loving up' that's the problem.

The people accused of loving up only stick around for that for so long, so he ends up, very quickly, with the people that don't feel confident that they'll get another gig.

Dooguk posted:

Belt buddies

<settles in for a belting story about a belt and a belting pledge>

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah, more or less from the beginning and was skeptical about how good the game would be even back during kickstarter.

Basically when it was announced, i took a look, was like, ok, interesting, new space games are always welcome. Watched a few demos, thought ambitious. And while i thought the earlier CR games were ok, i was never a fanboy.

Then ED was also announced, and watched the early Braben videos and thought to myself, gods, Braben couldn't sell a man dying of thirst a drink. But, at least his pitch was more reasonable. I'd been waiting for Elite 4 for a loooong time, always been an Elite fan and had resigned myself to playing Pioneer to relive the Elite experience.

When CIG released the (in)-famous helmet flip demo and the crowd went wild with that, my thoughts were: they are making a game for mentally retarded people. I was like, hells guys, its just a animation, get a loving life. It was at that point there was no way i was going to give CIG a single penny until they released a fully working game that looked decent to play. So far, that seems like a long way off.

Anyway, ED went into beta, and a friend had bought it and was telling me to get it, so i decided to give it a look, became a beta backer, and when the LEP went on offer a year later, bought it with no regrets. ED has been a solid investment for me. It gets a lot of criticism, some of it even justified, but doesn't matter, i still enjoy the game 2600 hours later. Not often a game holds my attention like that.

I kind for forgot about SC for a while, but then the Derek Smart thing kicked off, and later other sources also picked up on some things, so i started looking at the SC subreddit and the SC thread on the FD forums, and i was horrified with how things were going. Insanely increased scope, a demented fanbase (not all, there are sane backers as well, but for every sane backer there is a crazy one). I started reading the FD SC thread, the SC sub, and the refund sub. In short, i became a vocal skeptic (as opposed to earlier being a quiet skeptic).

Much later, just a few months ago, i started reading this thread, and found it to be highly entertaining. So lurked. Then just yesterday, found i couldn't read the forums any more, so decided to pay lowtax's tax. And if i'm paying, i might as well comment.

A week or so ago i requested a year ban from the SC sub forum. I've spent too much time on that sub, arguing with cultists (blocking loads because they didn't want to debate, they just went direct to insults), and trying to get the more moderate fans to manage their expectations. But too many believe the gospel of Chris, and still believe that everything CIG have promised will come true, which to my mind is an impossible task, especially since if everything was implemented as described, it would be a horrible gameplay experience.

Overall, i'm doubtful CIG will be able to keep funding going until release, which has to be years away before they have something they can call a beta. On the other hand, they keep sucking people in who throw money at the game, and there are also whales who keep putting money in. Its basically now a waiting game (while getting some lulz out of the development) to see what happens first, some sort of release or the funding drying up.

I do believe CIG have told many porkies, but i'm not sure its malicious. I think CR lives in some sort of reality warping bubble that affects those around him and those who listen to him. He really wants to make this game and believes he can do it, and that it will be good.

Do I believe CIG might release a game? Maybe.

Do I think that game will be any good? Not sure at all. Some of the mechanics they have implemented have been a bit pants, and some of the planned mechanics make FD's design decisions look sane. There might be a good game there in the end though.

Will I play it? Maybe. If its half decent. If only to target people flying big immersion chariots for a laugh.

Will it replace ED? Not a chance in hell. If i become bored of ED, i've got plenty of other games waiting to take over the title of main game for me. Plus there are other space games on the horizon which look pretty good.

nice meltdown

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Also, welcome o9

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Agony Aunt posted:

Basically when it was announced, i took a look, was like, ok, interesting, new space games are always welcome. Watched a few demos, thought ambitious. And while i thought the earlier CR games were ok, i was never a fanboy.

Then ED was also announced, and watched the early Braben videos and thought to myself, gods, Braben couldn't sell a man dying of thirst a drink. But, at least his pitch was more reasonable. I'd been waiting for Elite 4 for a loooong time, always been an Elite fan and had resigned myself to playing Pioneer to relive the Elite experience.

When CIG released the (in)-famous helmet flip demo and the crowd went wild with that, my thoughts were: they are making a game for mentally retarded people. I was like, hells guys, its just a animation, get a loving life. It was at that point there was no way i was going to give CIG a single penny until they released a fully working game that looked decent to play. So far, that seems like a long way off.

Anyway, ED went into beta, and a friend had bought it and was telling me to get it, so i decided to give it a look, became a beta backer, and when the LEP went on offer a year later, bought it with no regrets. ED has been a solid investment for me. It gets a lot of criticism, some of it even justified, but doesn't matter, i still enjoy the game 2600 hours later. Not often a game holds my attention like that.

I kind for forgot about SC for a while, but then the Derek Smart thing kicked off, and later other sources also picked up on some things, so i started looking at the SC subreddit and the SC thread on the FD forums, and i was horrified with how things were going. Insanely increased scope, a demented fanbase (not all, there are sane backers as well, but for every sane backer there is a crazy one). I started reading the FD SC thread, the SC sub, and the refund sub. In short, i became a vocal skeptic (as opposed to earlier being a quiet skeptic).

Much later, just a few months ago, i started reading this thread, and found it to be highly entertaining. So lurked. Then just yesterday, found i couldn't read the forums any more, so decided to pay lowtax's tax. And if i'm paying, i might as well comment.

A week or so ago i requested a year ban from the SC sub forum. I've spent too much time on that sub, arguing with cultists (blocking loads because they didn't want to debate, they just went direct to insults), and trying to get the more moderate fans to manage their expectations. But too many believe the gospel of Chris, and still believe that everything CIG have promised will come true, which to my mind is an impossible task, especially since if everything was implemented as described, it would be a horrible gameplay experience.

Overall, i'm doubtful CIG will be able to keep funding going until release, which has to be years away before they have something they can call a beta. On the other hand, they keep sucking people in who throw money at the game, and there are also whales who keep putting money in. Its basically now a waiting game (while getting some lulz out of the development) to see what happens first, some sort of release or the funding drying up.

I do believe CIG have told many porkies, but i'm not sure its malicious. I think CR lives in some sort of reality warping bubble that affects those around him and those who listen to him. He really wants to make this game and believes he can do it, and that it will be good.

Do I believe CIG might release a game? Maybe.

Do I think that game will be any good? Not sure at all. Some of the mechanics they have implemented have been a bit pants, and some of the planned mechanics make FD's design decisions look sane. There might be a good game there in the end though.

Will I play it? Maybe. If its half decent. If only to target people flying big immersion chariots for a laugh.

Will it replace ED? Not a chance in hell. If i become bored of ED, i've got plenty of other games waiting to take over the title of main game for me. Plus there are other space games on the horizon which look pretty good.

Nice try... DEREK!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Derek would've linked to his blog by now

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

phosdex posted:

I hopped in the other guys ship because I knew I'd never figure out how to fly my own. I had problems with horizontal stuff too at the ship retrieval console, if you go too far left/right you stop "using" it. Probably should have waited for that guy to fly around but the low frame rate was driving me nuts.

Also I don't think you can really tell in the video, but when I walked on that guy's ship, the ramp was going up. That vertical movement was transferred to my char and continued until I hit the ceiling even though I was no longer on the ramp.

That's fine. I just noticed as you walked around you couldn't seem to actually interact with anything else in the ship so I figured they locked that stuff down to prevent griefing. True?

I also liked the door bit where after you finally got it open it immediately closed on you again. I was hoping it was going to do that a few times. :3:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Songbearer posted:

Disappointed in the general lack of Schadenfruedeposts in this thread considering the game had a free weekend. C'mon, where's the delicious tears, the crushed souls, the panicked attempts to disguise disappointments? There's been a couple of drips here and there but there should be a deluge.

At this point that's the punchlune the joke about market saturation . Anyone that cares about Star Citizer already has it and 5 plus years of those turbonerds selling time shares to anyone that would listen have already scooped up anyone else left to reach.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yada yada you are the one that brought up tramp stamp shopping at Walmart so you are more gross.

I'm alright with that. :)

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

New members should post their belts, just to be sure.

Also, welcome everybody

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

I can only assume that if I post a picture it will be doxxing so you'll have to settle for textual feelings.
To be fair, I went for it because I didn't know that ratchet belts were already a thing so it seemed like there was INNOVATION.

Also, it's got kevlar in it :colbert:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Songbearer posted:

Disappointed in the general lack of Schadenfruedeposts in this thread considering the game had a free weekend. C'mon, where's the delicious tears, the crushed souls, the panicked attempts to disguise disappointments? There's been a couple of drips here and there but there should be a deluge.

The problem is nobody wants to play the game. :shrug:

The funnest part of Star Citizen is the drama around it. People can join a "camp" of other like minded people and go to town about why the other group is totally wrong.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The current tempo of this thing collapsing or moving to something exciting is set to the tempo of a freshman highschool band trying their first polka.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Yeah - am curious.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

We've reached a point where the Free Fly events aren't even drawing people. I had a mosey through the "Hey Free Fly peeps, how'd you like it?" reddit thread, and 19 out of 20 responses at the time I went through there started with "Well I've owned the game for a while, but I thought it was awesome!..."

I hesitate to say something drastic like "This is the beginning of the end" because the Roberts boys always manage to find another stack of haybales to jump the General LeeBishop off of, but I think it's definitely a sign that whatever outside interest has been helping keep this game afloat for the last year or so is gone. Now we really get to watch the whales eat each other.

You say this now, but when the income report for next year comes in and they somehow manage to still pull in around <$500,000 variance from what they've made last year and the year before, you'll be itching your head wondering where the money is coming from.

Heck, the official Twitter channel is trying to give stuff away for *200* retweets. Where are the people? Most importantly where is the money these people are supposed to be bringing with them to upkeep a multinational corporation with hundreds of employees?

The numbers ain't addin up here, stumpy. :confused:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah - am curious.

you guys can be Belt Buds, someone needs to make a gang tag

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drunk Theory posted:

So um, I'm sure you are aware since you read this thread that it's a lot of taking the piss.

And pictures of cats ;)

And yeah, i'm aware.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I'm sure within enough time we will be calling each other cocksuckers or whatever :D

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nice try... DEREK!

On this glorious day, we are all Derek!

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

you guys can be Belt Buds, someone needs to make a gang tag

Entwined buckles

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

"inciting refunds"; watch out chaps, they got legal counsel.

Had to save that.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dolvak has achieved the Neo state. He sees the Matrix now and sees Babuinix, the MMORPG forums Zealot, as the agent of toxicity he is and just rewrote the Matrix to remove his error.

That’s a guest for your show, VC. The enlightened Dolvak flying around in bullet time getting his Zen Mod on.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

The last time I cared enough to check actually showed that people were pretty pissed about the things FD left out and made no bones about it. Whatever this chunky dingleberry is crying about is nothing more than him trying to justify his being a complete toxic shithead for being called to the carpet for it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Every time I've ever looked at the ED forums it's the exact same as every other game's official forums which means it's nothing but people bitching that the game sucks and the devs sucks and everything loving sucks.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

DapperDon posted:

The last time I cared enough to check actually showed that people were pretty pissed about the things FD left out and made no bones about it. Whatever this chunky dingleberry is crying about is nothing more than him trying to justify his being a complete toxic shithead for being called to the carpet for it.

offline mode is the funniest thing to care about because: A) It wasn't a core feature of ED (It's not mentioned anywhere on the original kickstarter) B) When it was brought up it was definitely slated as a future feature and not in initial release. C) It *IS* a fundamental, kickstarter requirement for SC (third bullet point) D) It's already been de-prioritized by CIG (I can't find the quote where they def say "not on launch").

So this being the huge thing they bitch about is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Every time I've ever looked at the ED forums it's the exact same as every other game's official forums which means it's nothing but people bitching that the game sucks and the devs sucks and everything loving sucks.

Would watch this Lego Movie.