Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

TV Zombie posted:

5 pitchers for the Mets in the 8th inning where they give up 6 runs. Geez.

The bullpen was going to have a bad day at some point, just a shame it was against the Nats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

iospace posted:

Because

A. Yankees fans
B. His MVP year is looking to be a fluke now?
C. Yankees fans

It's probably more just Yankees fans. How on Earth is his MVP season looking to be a fluke after 66 PA's in the year 2018. He was MVP-2 in 2014 and has a 146 career OPS+. Unfortunately the only years he has been fully healthy were: 2011, 2014, 2017.

Still 4th best ever AB per HR behind McGwire, Ruth, Bonds.

It's easy to boo in New York when the team is .500 and Boston is 13-2.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 17, 2018

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

shirts and skins posted:

R E L A X you already faced our only good starting pitcher, and he's generally been very good against the Astros. You face Ariel Miranda tonight. Needless to say, I'd put money on an offensive resurgence.

Bartolo Colon took a perfect game into the 8th in 2018 against them

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
e: tricked by google

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Can the wagering goons explain for me?

So we got some Price v Ohtani tonight.

The line (from somewhere) is Los Angeles Angels -137 / Boston Red Sox +127 --- Over/Under: 7.5

What are the neg/pos numbers and Over/Under? What does that mean?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

+127 means you have to bet $100 to win $127
-137 means you bet $137 to win $100

Over/under 7.5 runs means you bet on whether the combined runs are greater or lower than that number

e: edited then edited back after I second guessed myself

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

N: it's raining in Puerto Rico

V: wow why didn't the penny pinching Pohlads spring for a roof on the stadium there? They should have known it would rain at some point! :jerkbag:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

+127 means you have to bet $100 to win $127
-137 means you bet $137 to win $100

Over/under 7.5 runs means you bet on whether the combined runs are greater or lower than that number

e: edited then edited back after I second guessed myself

Thanks Intruder. Betting on baseball would be like betting on birds on a wire but thanks for the explanation

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

the popes toes posted:

be like betting on birds on a wire

What does this phrase mean?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Slimy Hog posted:

It means it's basically random chance. Like seeing a bunch of birds perched on a telephone wire and betting on which will take off first.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

kensei posted:

I keep hearing more about a Portland team lately, and I try not to get my hopes up...

Looks like there might be an ownership group forming?

quote:

News broke on Sunday that Portland city officials had met privately with the organizers of the latest MLB to PDX effort.

Multiple sources told me on Monday that the group seeking to build a MLB stadium and bring a franchise to Portland was NOT seeking any additional public funds. The stadium will be privately financed.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Would these be brand new teams/additions or relocations of existing teams? Assuming any of them happen, of course.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Incorrigible gamblers, with nothing else to bet on, would wager on which bird randomly flies off a wire first.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

the popes toes posted:

The line (from somewhere) is Los Angeles Angels -137 / Boston Red Sox +127 --- Over/Under: 7.5

This is adorable considering your avatar :)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Meh a straight up $10 bet on whether or not you successfully do something is a lot more straightforward than moneyline odds

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I just mean visualizing Pete Rose asking those questions. Just being silly.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Would these be brand new teams/additions or relocations of existing teams? Assuming any of them happen, of course.

I think the focus is on relocation particularly with the A's having such a terrible stadium.

As a KC fan I'd be happy with the A's moving to Portland. They've been kind of a nomadic franchise so I would feel less guilty about them moving and they have those old pre-Royals ties to Kansas City.

It's never going to happen, though. :sigh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I feel like we discussed the options for an MLB team moving last year and concluded that there were no realistic straight-shot options. Here's a list of markets larger than Milwaukee (currently the smallest market in baseball) without an MLB team:

Montreal
Vancouver
Las Vegas
Orlando
San Antonio
Portland
Sacramento
Austin
Indianapolis
Charlotte
Columbus
Hampton Roads

There are no straight-shot cities. California, Florida, Texas and Ohio already have 5, 2, 2, and 2 teams respectively, so it's unlikely we'll see another team in those states. Indianapolis would get whining from the Cubs, White Sox and Reds. Charlotte just had its AAA team move into a near-MLB-quality stadium, and the Orioles, Nationals and Braves all have territorial claims to the area. Orlando isn't a viable baseball market. Hampton Roads would run into the Nats, and Vancouver would make Seattle raise the mother of all tantrums. Portland hates baseball so much that it turned its AAA stadium into a soccer-specific one. There are a number of issues with Mexico City (the peso's in the shitter, corporate sponsorship would be hard to come by, and there are significant safety / security concerns). And, finally, Montreal has a huge stadium issue: Olympic Stadium is not a realistic option, and there is massive political resistance against any sort of public funding for a new one.

I mean, poo poo, the most realistic option is probably Vegas, and given the sport's history of gambling scandals, MLB is understandably wary about going there.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 17, 2018

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Exodor posted:

It's never going to happen, though. :sigh:

No it will not :colbert:

I'd love for there to be a team in Portland, though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
They should try bringing an MLB team to Florida.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Popete posted:

They should try bringing an MLB team to Florida.

The Rays and Marlins together probably equal 1 MLB team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

beejay posted:

I just mean visualizing Pete Rose asking those questions. Just being silly.

Ah well that's fair

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Rays pitching plus Marlins offense might be able to make a go at .500.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Breathe and say it with me:

gently caress The Angels

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-angels-have-asked-shohei-ohtani-fans-to-quiet-down-during-his-at-bats/

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Exodor posted:

Looks like there might be an ownership group forming?

That's the news I was alluding to, yeah. There is another group in Portland doing similar things behind the scenes and I wonder if they will eventually merge.

Timby posted:

I feel like we discussed the options for an MLB team moving last year and concluded that there were no realistic straight-shot options. Here's a list of markets larger than Milwaukee (currently the smallest market in baseball) without an MLB team:

Montreal
Vancouver
Las Vegas
Orlando
San Antonio
Portland
Sacramento
Austin
Indianapolis
Charlotte
Columbus
Hampton Roads

There are no straight-shot cities. California, Florida, Texas and Ohio already have 5, 2, 2, and 2 teams respectively, so it's unlikely we'll see another team in those states. Indianapolis would get whining from the Cubs, White Sox and Reds. Charlotte just had its AAA team move into a near-MLB-quality stadium, and the Orioles, Nationals and Braves all have territorial claims to the area. Orlando isn't a viable baseball market. Hampton Roads would run into the Nats, and Vancouver would make Seattle raise the mother of all tantrums. Portland hates baseball so much that it turned its AAA stadium into a soccer-specific one. There are a number of issues with Mexico City (the peso's in the shitter, corporate sponsorship would be hard to come by, and there are significant safety / security concerns). And, finally, Montreal has a huge stadium issue: Olympic Stadium is not a realistic option, and there is massive political resistance against any sort of public funding for a new one.

I mean, poo poo, the most realistic option is probably Vegas, and given the sport's history of gambling scandals, MLB is understandably wary about going there.

That was the owner of the AAA team who wanted MLS. I hate him.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

kensei posted:

That was the owner of the AAA team who wanted MLS. I hate him.

I hate him for running off the Beavers but he wasn't wrong about Portland hipsters supporting MLS.

Hey at least we have the Hops, right?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Portland got to have the Mavericks, subjects of Battered Bastards of Baseball, and you really can't improve on that story.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Timby posted:

Montreal
Vancouver
Las Vegas
Orlando
San Antonio
Portland
Sacramento
Austin
Indianapolis
Charlotte
Columbus
Hampton Roads

Now that Sacramento is the Giants Triple-A team there is zero chance they get in MLB team. Remember, the A's have a site ready to go in San Jose but the Giants keep blocking it because it's their territory, and they have their single A-Team there. A few years ago it might have been viable when the Sacramento team was the affiliate but now there is no chance. I'm tired of the Giants being lovely about territory to be honest

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

the popes toes posted:

I took the Angels. Regardless should be a good game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That poo poo about the Giants still pisses me off because don't they only have the San Jose territorial rights because of Walter Haas' generosity?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oklahoma City would be a fantastic Baseball Team City but there isn't enough money there to keep schools open let alone build a Baseball Stadium.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'd love to have the San JosA's.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yes the NPB superstar is not used to fans making noise during his at bats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URHwFI7CaL0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ0xWuUVPnk

an actual Ohtani AB with chants and drums in the background, right before he launches a ball through the roof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEJap9MV5iI

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 17, 2018

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I just saw how Corey Dickerson is doing, loving lol Rays

1.5 bWAR in 14 games

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Ignoring that it will be water world in 100 years, what about New Orleans?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Put a baseball team in Salt Lake and immediately send Stanton, Judge, Trout and Ohtani there

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

Put a baseball team in Salt Lake and immediately send Stanton, Judge and Ohtani there

Please do not relocate two of my baseball sons halfway across the country. :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

But the dongs

e: alternately: Mexico City

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

If we're thinking towards the future, we should claim that island size floating trashpile in the Pacific as a US territory and build a stadium there. It's only gonna get bigger!

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

e: alternately: Mexico City

Not a realistic option because of the lovely economy, security concerns and any team would struggle mightily to find corporate sponsorship.

Both the Rangers and Astros have territorial claims to the entirety of Louisiana.

• Locked thread