Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How's the rate of work on buying/selling feeling? How knowledgeable are the interested buyers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

kimbo305 posted:

How's the rate of work on buying/selling feeling? How knowledgeable are the interested buyers?

Pretty good, I enjoy the 'work' aspect and made a very nice profit on the Rugger, plus I got to drive and enjoy it for the past 6 or so months on top of that. Less of a profit on the 83 Acty but that's simply because I spent too much on it from the start. Mistakes that needed to be made so I could learn more.
The buyer for the 83 Acty is an older guy originally from South America somewhere (don't know where exactly, he said it but I don't remember) who works at restoration shop of some kind in Tampa. His son works at Porsche of Tampa and was my contact. We negotiated a price, his father came a couple days later with one of the son's friends (who also works at Porsche). Took a look at it, drove it around, fell in love and bought it for the agreed price. The older guy was familiar with Suzuki Everys of that generation, though he was calling it something else. He's going to use it as a little toy to cherish. With him and the friends he has I'm sure the thing will be excellently taken care of.

The guy who bought the Rugger this morning is out of Georgia and had been looking for "something right hand drive and four wheel" according to him. He had been looking at Delicas and Land Crusiers until he spotted my craigslist ad. He contacted me about it, asked some questions. The next day he contacted me again saying he was super interested and if he could come down this weekend to take a look. We agreed on a price, he came down today and spent about two or so hours looking over it, asking questions, driving it around and just kinda shooting the poo poo. I get the feeling he fell in love with it immediately on seeing the ad and was always going to buy it. He brought a trailer and his father. He bought it for the agreed on price, loaded it on a trailer and drove it home. I sent him all of the contacts and information I've gathered on it since I've had it, where to get parts and service manuals and things so he should be in good shape. He plans on off-roading it. He said more than a few times "I just love it" as we were finalizing things.

Both transactions were clean and drama free and there were no issues. Best part is now I've got a sizable chunk to buy something else even more expensive at auction :getin:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Ive got a sweet Atrai van down in Vancouver ;) that would scratch your weird jap itch.

I don't think a kei van would be that good on my commute but I'd love to drive one at some point. I might go to Portland next weekend if you don't mind showing it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Both transactions were clean and drama free and there were no issues. Best part is now I've got a sizable chunk to buy something else even more expensive at auction :getin:

It's your money, but I would probably take a few more low-risk deals like this before really rolling the dice, unless it's something you're willing to take the hit on and drive yourself.

Markets for JDMs are super cyclical and fashion-driven in Canada, and I don't see any reason that wouldn't be the case in the US as well.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's your money, but I would probably take a few more low-risk deals like this before really rolling the dice, unless it's something you're willing to take the hit on and drive yourself.

Markets for JDMs are super cyclical and fashion-driven in Canada, and I don't see any reason that wouldn't be the case in the US as well.

Seems to depend on the car. The market is always here right now simply because they're so new for us.

People right now (the ones who can afford these luxuries to begin with) are willing to part with money on frivolous poo poo, still, so the market is there.

Once ww3 really gets up to speed, probably not so much.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Seems to depend on the car. The market is always here right now simply because they're so new for us.

People right now (the ones who can afford these luxuries to begin with) are willing to part with money on frivolous poo poo, still, so the market is there.

What I mean is that since new cars are 'released' every year, the hot car changes every year. For us it was JDM 300ZXes, then R32 Skylines, then early WRXes, ... it becomes harder to sell a car that's less new and cool.

I think there will always be demand for those little Jimny-esque offroaders though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
When I mean more expensive I really just mean nicer condition Land Cruisers. I'm still smitten with an AZ-1 too.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How much variety do you want to experience vs doing easy but repetitive money-makers?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

kimbo305 posted:

How much variety do you want to experience vs doing easy but repetitive money-makers?

I'm trying to settle on what the repetitive money makers are. I don't have much of a sample size but kei vans sell but only to specific people, and finding those specific people is more difficult than I've anticipated. Plus like I already said, I over paid for the 83 Acty as well as the earlier 83 Hijet I had. I thought that them being so uniquely early Japanese would be worth it but I was wrong. The trucks could probably sell much easier because the price difference.

The Rugger sold quite fast but I did always expect it to go like that, it's got a very good presence about it that everybody who sees it loves. The attention it received went up a shitload when I repainted the wheels white and put on those white letter K02s. That and because I got it for ao little at auction I made a quite sizeable profit on it. The problem with that though is there have been maybe 3 Ruggers worth buying at auction since I got this one, and mine was by far the best one. Not exactly something to base a business on.

I'll have the J70 Cruiser up shortly for sale and we'll see how that one goes. It's a much more serious and robust truck vs. the Rugger with it's front and real locking diffs and "Toyota" badge. It's all cleaned up and ready to go. I expect more attention from it but who knows.

The LiteAce is the current favorite but now that we've camped in it and are starting to deal with the post-lust it's starting to become less perfect. Things like it's tiny fuel tank and cramped front passenger area are harder to ignore when you can easily sell the thing.

For other variety it just depends on what comes up for sale. There are a lot more things I like vs. what I don't so I'm quite open. I don't think I'm going to get into Skylines or Soarers or anything, I'm just not as interested in them as much as other people and wouldn't cater to that market as well.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

NinjaTech posted:

I don't think a kei van would be that good on my commute but I'd love to drive one at some point. I might go to Portland next weekend if you don't mind showing it.

Are you coming down for the Oregon Trail Rally? If you are down here just msg me your contact info and I can definitely let you take it or the truck for a spin.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

I'm trying to settle on what the repetitive money makers are. I don't have much of a sample size but kei vans sell but only to specific people, and finding those specific people is more difficult than I've anticipated. Plus like I already said, I over paid for the 83 Acty as well as the earlier 83 Hijet I had. I thought that them being so uniquely early Japanese would be worth it but I was wrong. The trucks could probably sell much easier because the price difference.

The Rugger sold quite fast but I did always expect it to go like that, it's got a very good presence about it that everybody who sees it loves. The attention it received went up a shitload when I repainted the wheels white and put on those white letter K02s. That and because I got it for ao little at auction I made a quite sizeable profit on it. The problem with that though is there have been maybe 3 Ruggers worth buying at auction since I got this one, and mine was by far the best one. Not exactly something to base a business on.

I'll have the J70 Cruiser up shortly for sale and we'll see how that one goes. It's a much more serious and robust truck vs. the Rugger with it's front and real locking diffs and "Toyota" badge. It's all cleaned up and ready to go. I expect more attention from it but who knows.

The LiteAce is the current favorite but now that we've camped in it and are starting to deal with the post-lust it's starting to become less perfect. Things like it's tiny fuel tank and cramped front passenger area are harder to ignore when you can easily sell the thing.

For other variety it just depends on what comes up for sale. There are a lot more things I like vs. what I don't so I'm quite open. I don't think I'm going to get into Skylines or Soarers or anything, I'm just not as interested in them as much as other people and wouldn't cater to that market as well.

So long as there are offroaders, you will likely never have trouble selling off a 70.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Lol

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

So long as there are offroaders, you will likely never have trouble selling off a 70.
This.

Also Land Rover 90/110s. Though if you can find a 127/130 that hasn't been worked to death by a utility company...

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
it's official. I need a LiteAce/HiAce or a Coaster in my life. after seeing this one pop up on BaT's daily mail, my hard on is even more raging... what do you expect the LiteAce to fetch on this side?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Are you coming down for the Oregon Trail Rally? If you are down here just msg me your contact info and I can definitely let you take it or the truck for a spin.

I forgot that was this weekend. I'd check it out if the PIR stage wasn't on friday. My dad lives down in Lonview/Kelso so we usually go to portland when I visit him or my friends down there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

snugglz posted:

it's official. I need a LiteAce/HiAce or a Coaster in my life. after seeing this one pop up on BaT's daily mail, my hard on is even more raging... what do you expect the LiteAce to fetch on this side?

If you want to buy a ready-titled good-condition LiteAce I wouldn't expect it to go cheaper than 8500 or so. Like seen here although if I were them I probably wouldn't mention new tires at all if you are only going to replace two of them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I seriously don't think I've ever bought a car that didn't need tires almost right away. I either have lovely luck or people just don't get tires when they're supposed too.

it's the latter

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I seriously don't think I've ever bought a car that didn't need tires almost right away. I either have lovely luck or people just don't get tires when they're supposed too.

it's the latter

Yeah, on my old Mercedes they still had their whiskers but they're crap in the rain.

Also even buying a brand new Mazda they were pretty crappy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Better than trying to buy a car that's priced to account for having just had a full set of new tyres, but they're cheap shite you'll need to replace anyway and the only net result is the seller is less likely to haggle.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

This might be the wrong thread, but the 25 year rule applies worldwide to importing in the US right? Like, if I fell and hit my head and decided I wanted a Trabant, as long as it's 25 years old or more, I could import one?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

That is right.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Everything in the OP as it pertains to importing and the process that's involved is the same regardless of where the vehicle comes from.
If you want a Trabant by all means get a goddamned Trabant :getin:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Oh poo poo. Drive a Trabi in CA and get a, "This product is know to the state of California to cause cancer", sticker. Right in the center of the dashboard, next to the no smoking sign.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Everything is know to the state of California to cause cancer, probably including the state itself.
That would be funny, though.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If California splits into three states does that mean it would cause triple cancer?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigPaddy posted:

If California splits into three states does that mean it would cause triple cancer?

This is the only California split I'm interested in

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

beep-beep car is go posted:

This might be the wrong thread, but the 25 year rule applies worldwide to importing in the US right? Like, if I fell and hit my head and decided I wanted a Trabant, as long as it's 25 years old or more, I could import one?

I wholly support the idea of getting a Trabi. And blowing smoke everywhere. Show up all those bro truck diesels.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

This is the only California split I'm interested in

Otisburg?

OTISBURG?!?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Otisburg?

OTISBURG?!?

It's just a lil bitty place!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

You Am I posted:

Otisburg?

OTISBURG?!?

Steamed hams but every time Skinner talks it's just him saying "Otisburg" in an increasingly-stressful tone.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Going to wash it again tomorrow, clay bar scrub the rear, figure out how to snap the locking lug nut thing locking the spare wheel and an interior cleaning. Then it's going up for sale. It's a really rad truck that I like a lot but the Hilux will be here soon enough and I'm curious about how well this one will sell. Rugger went real quick but this one says 'Land Cruiser' on it so who knows.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

figure out how to snap the locking lug nut thing locking the spare wheel

If the toolkit came with it, the unlock tool should be in there. A Toyota dealership should have what you need too.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

KakerMix posted:

Going to wash it again tomorrow, clay bar scrub the rear, figure out how to snap the locking lug nut thing locking the spare wheel and an interior cleaning. Then it's going up for sale. It's a really rad truck that I like a lot but the Hilux will be here soon enough and I'm curious about how well this one will sell. Rugger went real quick but this one says 'Land Cruiser' on it so who knows.

Yeah we're going to need more pics of that truck doggo. Please take yourself to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553037 and do the needful.

Also nice Land Cruiser. I bet it goes in a week or less.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

If the toolkit came with it, the unlock tool should be in there. A Toyota dealership should have what you need too.

Turns out that both the Cruiser and Prado just use the key. You stick it in there and wiggle it then the whole lock pops off. Neat!

Got the Cruiser up for sale, we'll see how it does. Hoping the siren song of front and rear locking differentials plus diesel delivers me a profit.

Arishtat posted:

Yeah we're going to need more pics of that truck doggo. Please take yourself to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553037 and do the needful.

Also nice Land Cruiser. I bet it goes in a week or less.

Goons in Platoons is scary :ohdear:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

Turns out that both the Cruiser and Prado just use the key. You stick it in there and wiggle it then the whole lock pops off. Neat!

Got the Cruiser up for sale, we'll see how it does. Hoping the siren song of front and rear locking differentials plus diesel delivers me a profit.

Mind me asking what you've listed it for?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Its pretty much the perfect truck for someone inland with lots of land or a farm.

But someone in Tampa will probably buy it to be an urban sprawl crawler :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Mind me asking what you've listed it for?

$14500. Here is the craigslist ad.

Quite high, I know, but the Rugger was priced high too and sold easily. I've got a ton of negotiation room in that price, and have already gotten a bit of interest even in a couple hours on a Sunday.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Its pretty much the perfect truck for someone inland with lots of land or a farm.

But someone in Tampa will probably buy it to be an urban sprawl crawler :v:

I'm expecting the mall crawler as a buyer that wants to stand out from the Jeep crowd with something everyone will recognize. It would be neat for someone to actually use it sure but I don't care much what the next owner does with it since I'd probably disagree with it no matter what it was :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh yeah, who cares as long as it sells, go drive it into a lake if you want.

I could bet on an enthusiast buying it because it's a manual tho, soccer moms want automatics.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
This 4Runner sold for $24,500 dollars on Bring a Trailer. That's crazy as all hell even if it does only have 30,000 miles on it.

What about this one I spotted on the auction block this week?

Auction Sheet posted:

-70040- AT, AC, Diesel rear mounted spare, :siren:actual mileage:siren:, seats stained and worn, steering wheel worn, ceiling liner scratched, clear coat scratches, undercarriage surface rust, AC not working, engine oil leak, interior light cover missing, other dents and scratches

24791 km = 15404 miles

:thunk:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

$14500. Here is the craigslist ad.

Quite high, I know

There's an importer in BC selling a HZJ73 for ~$17k USD.

Are you sure you're not undercutting yourself?