Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So they're fighting a xenomorph polar bear. The way it's eyes are slits, it might as well have no eyes at all. And sure it can be burned and shot, but it still made off with one poor guy's leg, no problem.

And I never thought an upstart like Fitzjames would be the voice of reason. Then again, Crozier seemed reasonable at first and when he stepped up to the plate, his weaknesses were laid bare for all to see. Let's see how long it lasts before he becomes afflicted with whatever curse of leadership that's affecting this expedition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Shitenshi posted:

So they're fighting a xenomorph polar bear. The way it's eyes are slits, it might as well have no eyes at all. And sure it can be burned and shot, but it still made off with one poor guy's leg, no problem.

And I never thought an upstart like Fitzjames would be the voice of reason. Then again, Crozier seemed reasonable at first and when he stepped up to the plate, his weaknesses were laid bare for all to see. Let's see how long it lasts before he becomes afflicted with whatever curse of leadership that's affecting this expedition.

There's no need to spoiler stuff that has aired!

Yeah, there was something strange about the bear's head. But with Goodsir finding the lead-poisoned tins, you could still write it off as the crew going crazy over one pissed off bear.

I'm glad Lady Silence's speech landed with Crozier and he's getting back on the wagon: seeing him fall so far into drink made him pathetic and sad. Hopefully he gets out from under the curse after detox!

You are probably right: Fitzjames will crack under the pressure of command.

Don't know why people are saying they can't hear: I think the sound design on this show is fantastic! The scenes when they were down in the hold, stowing the dead, was so creepy with the constant, audible pressure from the ice. Where did you guys stream it? I'm on PSVue and everything is clear.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There's no need to spoiler stuff that has aired!

Yeah, there was something strange about the bear's head. But with Goodsir finding the lead-poisoned tins, you could still write it off as the crew going crazy over one pissed off bear.

I'm glad Lady Silence's speech landed with Crozier and he's getting back on the wagon: seeing him fall so far into drink made him pathetic and sad. Hopefully he gets out from under the curse after detox!

You are probably right: Fitzjames will crack under the pressure of command.

Don't know why people are saying they can't hear: I think the sound design on this show is fantastic! The scenes when they were down in the hold, stowing the dead, was so creepy with the constant, audible pressure from the ice. Where did you guys stream it? I'm on PSVue and everything is clear.

I've seen stuff spoilered right after airing on other stuff, not taking chances. I sometimes have trouble understanding the dialogue, but I think it's a bit of their accents.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Shitenshi posted:

I've seen stuff spoilered right after airing on other stuff, not taking chances. I sometimes have trouble understanding the dialogue, but I think it's a bit of their accents.

Yeah the dialogue is where I am struggling. Not the accents but rather something odd with AMC's mixing I suspect. Many times on TWD I have the same issue.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
There's definitely something weird about the audio mix. I'm not a native english speaker but almost never need subtitles when watching things. Not generally bothered by accents unless they get seriously thick(think Deadwood or The Wire) and this show comes nowhere near those levels. I was still forced to look up subtitles 15 minutes into the first episode.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do you people not understand that's it not a god drat bear still

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm really enjoying how the different characters show unique approaches to leadership especially when things are going south.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's been a few days and I'm still somewhat disconcerted by the 'dinner scenes' in ep10

dunno if it was the desolation or the polite table manners and properly aligned cutlery, but those scenes have given me a case of the willies for four days straight.

upgunned shitpost fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 18, 2018

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Please spoiler for people watching week-by-week.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Really glad the ice master guy survived the attack. One of my favorite characters so far. You'd think a ship would have some kind of drugs to knock someone out before they hack off a leg. Chloroform or something.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 18, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Good old laudanum with coke as a topical or something

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010
Why did they bury some of the dead and stow others below deck?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

JustinMorgan posted:

IIRC earlier on they were ice bound next to an island where they could bury. Later they are ice bound not all that close to solid land.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, they are drifting with the pack and have changed positions. So land may now be too far away, or temperatures too inhospitable to facilitate a burial party. Crozier had to cancel even the outside ceremony it was so cold!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JustinMorgan posted:

The ice is too thick now for burial at sea

Land is 25 miles away

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, they are drifting with the pack and have changed positions. So land may now be too far away, or temperatures too inhospitable to facilitate a burial party. Crozier had to cancel even the outside ceremony it was so cold!

They made a point that the drifting pack ice has been in a circle and they pretty much haven't moved

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jfood posted:

it's been a few days and I'm still somewhat disconcerted by the 'dinner scenes' in ep10

dunno if it was the desolation or the polite table manners and properly aligned cutlery, but those scenes have given me a case of the willies for four days straight.

Yeah it had that effect on me as well.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I’m six episodes in and I am obsessed. I’ve never had a show make me feel so anxious before. I’ll finish the series tomorrow. My stomach is in knots.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i binged this on the weekend; i don't normally smash through an entire season like that but i couldn't stop. this is kind of a masterclass of horror television. best show i've watched in years.

the whole cast is terrific too. Ian Hart and Jared Harris are great, but honestly Paul Ready's Mister Doctor Goodsir takes the cake for best onscreen. every line he has he radiates goodness. the only other thing i know him from is the BBC show 'Utopia' and that character couldn't be more different. the guy has chops.

pretty heavy plot spoilers so don't read unless you want to: the depiction of cannibalism in the last few episodes left me stunned. the imagery is so stark and plain, against the sheer barren landscape, that it's hard to shake. the feeling of total isolation and that these men are absolutely doomed is pretty intense.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It was beautifully grim, but I also found it laughable. At their most desperate moments, they're still doing the same stupid honkey-rear end dumbshit that's been getting them killed since the pilot.

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I finished the last episode on Friday night. I’ve been haunted by the desperation of it all. The way the ship was tilted in the background made every shot until they left so off-putting in the best possible way.

I was so impressed with Jared Harris’s performance I’ve been going back through Mad Men. I forgot how Lane was at his absolute best when yelling at people. (“THERE WAS CHEWING GUM ON HIS PUBIS!”)

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I liked the ending shot of Crozier chilling on the ice next to a kid. Had he finally found peace :shobon:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fartbox posted:

I liked the ending shot of Crozier chilling on the ice next to a kid. Had he finally found peace :shobon:

the soundtrack in that part and goodsir's death scene is amazing

edit: i just watched the first ten minutes of episode 1 again with my partner's parents and realised - the first thing Little says to Francis is that "we're close". Francis tells him to be careful how he uses that word. ten episodes later, strung up in gold, it's the last word Little breathes into Francis' shoulder. fantastic. i think this show will reward repeat watchings.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 23, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

edit: i just watched the first ten minutes of episode 1 again with my partner's parents and realised - the first thing Little says to Francis is that "we're close". Francis tells him to be careful how he uses that word. ten episodes later, strung up in gold, it's the last word Little breathes into Francis' shoulder. fantastic. i think this show will reward repeat watchings.

The guy who tells Crozier "we're close" in episode 1 is Jopson, not Lt. Little.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Reading the book as I watch the show (not at the same time mind you). It's a mite confusing how they jump back and forth time wise with the chapters, and makes it hard to figure out if I am overshooting the show.

Sir John's death in the book was hella worse IMHO. I stopped after the chapter where Hickey is caught with his pants down.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bitchymcjones posted:

I was so impressed with Jared Harris’s performance I’ve been going back through Mad Men. I forgot how Lane was at his absolute best when yelling at people. (“THERE WAS CHEWING GUM ON HIS PUBIS!”)

He's awesome in The Expanse as well.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Hickey got a taste for cannibalism early. Got a taste for it in the head, if you catch my drift.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You could say he really sucks dick!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Hickey was the top though and he doesn't really seem like the reciprocating type to me. Probably didn't even give the dude a reacharound.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Couple of thoughts:

Drinking from your own leg is badass.
Really glad Fitzjames decided not to go in drag, gotta keep it professional.
Surprised by how well Crozier's let down went: I figured that kind of buzzkill would be insta-mutiny.
I'm glad they waited so long to do the full monster-reveal, but still kind of wish it had just been lead poisoning.
Wow! They ~didn't~ eat the monkey!

Was that the doctor that self-immolated, or was he the one who got stabbed? Poor Hickey: he can't even win for losing...

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Couple of thoughts:

Drinking from your own leg is badass.
Really glad Fitzjames decided not to go in drag, gotta keep it professional.
Surprised by how well Crozier's let down went: I figured that kind of buzzkill would be insta-mutiny.
I'm glad they waited so long to do the full monster-reveal, but still kind of wish it had just been lead poisoning.
Wow! They ~didn't~ eat the monkey!

Was that the doctor that self-immolated, or was he the one who got stabbed? Poor Hickey: he can't even win for losing...

The Mean Doctor set himself on fire, the Nice Doctor got stabbed.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I’m kind of stunned at how this show has been tossed out to die in the UK (compare to AMC’s Preacher, which made it onto Prime and was heavily marketed as a result).

Whereas The Terror is appearing on the AMC channel, available only to BT customers...and Episode 1 is just sort of there on the BT YouTube channel, apparently having been uploaded by someone who has no idea what genre the show is supposed to be. What happened there?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

grobbo posted:

I’m kind of stunned at how this show has been tossed out to die in the UK (compare to AMC’s Preacher, which made it onto Prime and was heavily marketed as a result).

Whereas The Terror is appearing on the AMC channel, available only to BT customers...and Episode 1 is just sort of there on the BT YouTube channel, apparently having been uploaded by someone who has no idea what genre the show is supposed to be. What happened there?

Oh wow! I thought this would have been huge in the U.K., it's your history*!

*Historocity up for debate.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Everything I hear about this show's distribution suggests that AMC hates making money.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

I know, right? It’s as if post-Brexit Britain doesn’t want to embrace a show about our nation’s heroes setting out to put our mark on the world and ending up a bunch of directionless, shivering, starving lunatics in a desolate wilderness, vying to eat each other before the polar bear monster gets us

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it had to much lash, rum and buggery to be popular in the UK.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

a lovely king posted:

The Mean Doctor set himself on fire, the Nice Doctor got stabbed.

I thought the guy that got stabbed was just some rando crewmember. Wasn't Nice Doctor around all fine at the end of the episode? I felt like I missed something because the older doctor guy went from seeming completely ok to craziness super quick, and I was wondering if that was even the guy doing the burning or I was confusing him with some other guy.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

BlackJosh posted:

I thought the guy that got stabbed was just some rando crewmember. Wasn't Nice Doctor around all fine at the end of the episode? I felt like I missed something because the older doctor guy went from seeming completely ok to craziness super quick, and I was wondering if that was even the guy doing the burning or I was confusing him with some other guy.

There are four medical personnel on the ships. Dr. Stanley is the nasty one that burns himself up, Dr. McDonald is the pleasant Scottish one Hickey shivs. Mr. Goodsir (not a doctor, an anatomist) supports Stanley. There's also Bridgens, the older dark haired guy with the beard who was lending books to the other crewman/his lover. He's not specified as a doctor but he seems to be like Goodsir in that he has training but no formal qualifications.

I believe it's Goodsir and Bridgens at the end of this episode. But this show does suffer a little, especially early on, from identical uniformed white dude syndrome.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

a lovely king posted:

There are four medical personnel on the ships. Dr. Stanley is the nasty one that burns himself up, Dr. McDonald is the pleasant Scottish one Hickey shivs. Mr. Goodsir (not a doctor, an anatomist) supports Stanley. There's also Bridgens, the older dark haired guy with the beard who was lending books to the other crewman/his lover. He's not specified as a doctor but he seems to be like Goodsir in that he has training but no formal qualifications.

I believe it's Goodsir and Bridgens at the end of this episode. But this show does suffer a little, especially early on, from identical uniformed white dude syndrome.

There was also a Dr. Peddie, who died in the fire. Bridgens has no medical training (I think he was the captains steward on Erebus?) but volunteers to assist Goodsir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Comrade Koba posted:

There was also a Dr. Peddie, who died in the fire. Bridgens has no medical training (I think he was the captains steward on Erebus?) but volunteers to assist Goodsir.

Ah missed that! Thanks! As far as I'm aware that Dr. never appeared prominently? Not like Stanley and McDonald