Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a friend who is still running my old Phenom II X4 830 desktop on Linux as his primary desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Phenom IIs are still okay general use processors, but Core2 is so much more common and cheaper if you just need a computer that powers on.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The last desktop PC I built had a brand spanking new Athlon XP1800+.

I've been out of the game for a hot minute. :thunk:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
You could still overclock those with the pencil trick if you filled the pits with super glue first. Worked pretty good with a Athlon XP 1700+ that I had at one time. Got it up to around 2Ghz on a Epox 8k3a (my 8k7a had bit the dust due to stupidity on my part and took the Duron that I had at 900Mhz with it) which was pretty good for the time.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

These probably won't be quite as undervoltable as the 1700 is, which can go down to 35w at a fixed clock of 3.0ghz on all eight cores.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

These probably won't be quite as undervoltable as the 1700 is, which can go down to 35w at a fixed clock of 3.0ghz on all eight cores.

I'd be curious what you can do on an mITX B450 board with a 1700 or so. Do you get any better things? Super small form factor stuff rules.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

FaustianQ posted:

Phenom IIs are still okay general use processors, but Core2 is so much more common and cheaper if you just need a computer that powers on.

I agree with this in general but there's kind of a glaring problem now in the fact that Core 2 has a hardware security vulnerability that Intel has said they are never going to fix. May be overly cautious, but I'm looking at my E8600-based HTPC and thinking it might be time to replace it with something newer.

NewFatMike posted:

I'd be curious what you can do on an mITX B450 board with a 1700 or so. Do you get any better things? Super small form factor stuff rules.

Is there going to be a B450? I have only heard X470 announced so far.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I preordered a 2700 yesterday as soon as I saw the news of availability. My current desktop box is a 1700, and it is tasked with software development and crunching WorldCommunityGrid workunits.

I rebuilt it in December, swapping out a Skylake i3-6100T. I was a little worried because of all the early IPC numbers I'd been reading before doing the rebuild. But it became clear that most people were talking about single-core, max boost, maximum throughput when they talked about IPC numbers. I'm operating in a different regime, where all available threads are at maximum utilization (and some are occasionally in contention, because I'm also listening to music and doing compiles) at all times. What I've found in real world use is that the 3GHz 1700 slightly outperforms the 3.2GHz i3 on a core-for-core basis, while having 4X the threads, for 2X the watts.

Anyway, as much as I love these processors, I'd probably have skipped the Zen+ iteration and waited on the (hopefully) bigger improvements from Zen2. But I decided to get another mobo and some more RAM, so I could use spare parts to turn another old machine into a pure crunchbox. My desktop will get the 2700, and this other machine will inherit the 1700. And my WCG numbers will skyrocket. Yes, I do find idle/incremental games oddly compelling; why do you ask?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Any particular reason for this? If you lock the multiplier back down to the same level I can't really see how it will be any different.

Everything about the 2x00 ryzen seems like a pretty minor respin, aside from better inter-core bus that doesn't need super-premium ram.

Eletriarnation posted:

I agree with this in general but there's kind of a glaring problem now in the fact that Core 2 has a hardware security vulnerability that Intel has said they are never going to fix. May be overly cautious, but I'm looking at my E8600-based HTPC and thinking it might be time to replace it with something newer.

For a HTPC? If you're using an OS that gets patches to fix the Meltdown exploit, that really should be sufficient for home user security. Meltdown is the one that can read your memory in real-time using javascript on a webpage.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mdxi posted:

And my WCG numbers will skyrocket.

Heh. I game all the time and I still get around 8000+ points per day in WCG. Ryzens are drat good number crunchers even if they aren't really HPC chips.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

For a HTPC? If you're using an OS that gets patches to fix the Meltdown exploit, that really should be sufficient for home user security. Meltdown is the one that can read your memory in real-time using javascript on a webpage.

I could definitely be mistaken but my understanding is that Spectre also allows reading the memory contents of whatever process gets compromised (of course, a big deal for a browser) and that it has two variants, one of which must be mitigated in firmware and the other in software. It seems like a difficult exploit to use effectively, especially if you're trying to undermine a lot of disparate systems instead of one particular well-defined target, but I'm not sure if that's good enough for me to ignore it.

I'm not running out to buy anything right now, just thinking that I might move up the replacement of my old X3440 workstation so that I can slot it in as a newer HTPC.

My Core 2 home server, I'll probably leave alone for now since the only way it communicates with the outside world is through Deluge, yum and Plex and I don't see any of those being a big concern.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 14, 2018

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Ryzens are drat good number crunchers even if they aren't really HPC chips.

They really are. My single 1700 hovers right around 400th worldwide in the WUs/day stats. It's crazy that a ~$300 processor turns out numbers like that.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Klyith posted:

Any particular reason for this? If you lock the multiplier back down to the same level I can't really see how it will be any different.

Everything about the 2x00 ryzen seems like a pretty minor respin, aside from better inter-core bus that doesn't need super-premium ram.

Performance optimized process, as opposed to the 1000 series' power optimized process.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Did i miss them or have no benchmarks come out for the new Ryzen chips yet? With the release on thursday, when should we expect them? Thursday?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lungboy posted:

Did i miss them or have no benchmarks come out for the new Ryzen chips yet? With the release on thursday, when should we expect them? Thursday?

Thursday, yeah, it's when the NDA lifts.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so this is an AdoredTV video and we should all take it with a grain of salt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cxfl9dkeqU

I'm posting it now because he spends the last few minutes telling AMD fanboys to basically go to hell. It's pretty great (take a drink every time he says "dump"):

quote:

And now I am faced with the reality that you AMD fanboys are going to go give Steve a bunch of hell for this because you stupidly believe that this is about Steve's love of Intel and hatred of AMD. That is just a pathetic belief.

I know who the good guys are in this industry and I know who the bad guys are, and Steve is actually one of the good guys. But you fanboys, you could turn him into one of the bad guys.

And here's the really important part of this, I used to be an AMD fanboy, I no longer am an AMD fanboy for various reasons. When I took a massive dump on Vega last year, I soon learned that a lot of my so called supporters, they weren't really supporting me, they were supporting the company they loved and they turned on me on mass when I took a dump on Vega.

Now here's me, supposedly the biggest AMD fanboy in the press, taking a dump on Vega and the AMD fanboys simply could not handle it. They turned on me, and you know what I did? I just took another dump on Vega and I continued to dump on Vega and then I started dumping on AMD even more and more, and it started becoming clear to me what the real problem was with AMD and the press.

Guys like PC Perspective, why do you think they can't stand AMD? It's because they cannot stand you AMD fanboys. They have had to suffer you so long that they basically now hate on AMD because of you. Does that sound very productive to what you're trying to achieve? You had me hoping Vega would fail and I started looking for every little thing proving that Vega was going to fail.

If you fanboys can do that to me, what do think you're doing to guys like Steve who aren't AMD fanboys? It's clear you guys don't give a drat about me or my channel, you only care about your precious AMD. Well if you really care about AMD then you need to understand that your actions are harming this company way way more than they are helping.

This is why AMD has such a terrible problem with the tech press, it's because of you guys. So don't bother going over and harassing Steve about this video because this video isn't about AMD either, it's about me defending myself against Steve who had to defend himself against you. Steve is simply trying to do his job, I am trying to change a broken industry, and some of you guys need to learn the difference between what is helping us and what is hindering us.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Eletriarnation posted:

Is there going to be a B450? I have only heard X470 announced so far.

I thought there was, but that was just me being dumb.

Kinda makes sense to make incremental platfrom improvements like this only on the high end.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Measly Twerp posted:

Ok, so this is an AdoredTV video and we should all take it with a grain of salt:

I'm posting it now because he spends the last few minutes telling AMD fanboys to basically go to hell. It's pretty great (take a drink every time he says "dump"):

Note he's talking about the Australian Steve from Hardware Unboxed, not Steve Burke who is now consigned to darkness for a thousand years.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Fanboys are weird as fuuuuuuuuck.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Measly Twerp posted:

It’s a really odd segue though that makes him look petty, regardless of how ridiculous/stupid AMD fanboys are.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

SourKraut posted:

It’s a really odd segue though that makes him look petty, regardless of how ridiculous/stupid AMD fanboys are.

I think it's a reaction to how the last time he called someone out in a video people started sending threats to that person. He then went on twitter and basically told off his comment section. I sent him some words pointing out that his comment section isn't on twitter and that if he actually means it he should put it in the video.

Of course he didn't do it at the time, so who the gently caress knows.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Measly Twerp posted:

I think it's a reaction to how the last time he called someone out in a video people started sending threats to that person. He then went on twitter and basically told off his comment section. I sent him some words pointing out that his comment section isn't on twitter and that if he actually means it he should put it in the video.

Of course he didn't do it at the time, so who the gently caress knows.

it's cool that he wants to be a crusader for impartiality in the corrupt review industry (lol), but the way he handles everything makes him look dumb as gently caress.

if you want to be a trusted source of information, then leaping to conclusions and generally being a drama magnet are not great qualities. calling out your colleagues, the companies you depend on, and your audience is probably a bad move. (even if some of that audience are the type of dipshit that sends threats over a piece of computer hardware.)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
It's cathartic how an AMD fanboy admits just how terrible and counterproductive their echo chamber community is, even if its in a r/AMD manner.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What an absolute drama queen that guy is. He’s got the Right-Wing Radio Host thing down where he makes outlandish claims and then works to find evidence showing how right he is.

He’s not wrong to lash out at his viewers, but he’s only got himself to blame, as he’s spent eight months taking the Ethics In Gaming Tech Journalism approach to burning products he doesn’t actually have because controversy creates clickviews.

What’s unfortunate is there’s one or two good insights that are going to be lost amongst his pissing into the wind.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Another Ryzen laptop lands:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12654/dell-launches-amd-ryzen-based-inspiron-13-7000-2in1-convertible

Inspiron 13 7000 2 in 1. Gets both R5 2500U and R7 2700U.

I'm afraid that once the Ryzen ThinkPads land there won't be any resolution options above 1080p.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NewFatMike posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12654/dell-launches-amd-ryzen-based-inspiron-13-7000-2in1-convertible

I'm afraid that once the Ryzen ThinkPads land there won't be any resolution options above 1080p.

I would be down for a 1920*1200 ryzen thinkpad so hard. 1080P, not so much.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 17, 2018

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

A person on reddit has a pretty good rundown of what to expect with one of those, seems to be a pretty good laptop:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/89s8bs/dell_inspiron_13_7375_2in1_r5_2500u_8gb_256gb/

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Really want to see some budget and ultrabudget R3 2300U and R3 2200U options filtering out. Would be interesting to see how an R3 2200U stacks up in Price/Perf vs Intel Pentiums and Celerons.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FaustianQ posted:

Really want to see some budget and ultrabudget R3 2300U and R3 2200U options filtering out. Would be interesting to see how an R3 2200U stacks up in Price/Perf vs Intel Pentiums and Celerons.

I would suspect it would crush them.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Arivia posted:

Note he's talking about the Australian Steve from Hardware Unboxed, not Steve Burke who is now consigned to darkness for a thousand years.
Permabeard Steve is immortal

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

NewFatMike posted:

1080 at 15 inches or below looks great to me but I could be going blind in my oldmiddle age :corsair:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

1080 at 15 inches or below looks great to me but I could be going blind in my oldmiddle age :corsair:
1080 at 14 or below is great. It's more ppi than 1440p @ 27.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Munkeymon posted:

I've gotten spoiled lately on my iPad and a loaner Ultrabook. The extra screen real estate makes working with my 3D modeling software so much easier :negative:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ryzen 2 hits 5.8 GHz on LN2. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3030327/amds-ryzen-2-processors-pushed-beyond-5ghz-by-overclocking

I mean, it's no 8.5 GHz OC, but...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
lol who still gives a poo poo about LN2

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the new hotness is liquid helium!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the new hotness is liquid helium!

on the plus side, superfluidity means your flow rate is gonna be amazing

on the down side, the way that it leaks straight through atom-size gaps means you need some really high quality pipe fittings

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Klyith posted:

on the plus side, superfluidity means your flow rate is gonna be amazing

Imagine that with some LEDs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Imagine that with some LEDs.

ironically it wouldn't look like much, superfluid liquid helium appears completely still because it flows perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Okay, that's awesome.