Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
ACD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ACE

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

BE

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

ABC

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
BE

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
BCD

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Chapter 1 - Origin 5

Glancing out the window again, you couldn't help but notice that there were three cop cars down there. That wasn't really something that tended to happen for someone that knocked over a place, or them showing up after the fact to ask some questions. Three cars seemed pretty serious. There were a few officers standing around, looking concerned. One was by their car, talking into a radio. Two others near their vehicle looking nervously over at the glass door on the front of the convenience store, pump action shotguns heavy in their hands. The store had already been opened for some time - the early morning commuter rush into New York was a good time for them.

You got up from the aging office chair you'd fallen asleep in, pushed at the small of your back for a moment stretching to work out the last of the aches from your joints. You didn't exactly look after yourself. Back in highschool things were weird when it came to physical education. Too smart to be with the other kids your age meant you got bumped up by a year apart from in sports where you got bumped back down a year to be with your peers which was super weird because now all of a sudden the stupid-smart kid was back and then, thankfully, those lessons got cut from the schedule and ever since you've been reliant upon good genes. A studious combination of forgetting to eat and walking around the city helped you maintain a healthy enough appearance. The rest of The Look was kind of a mess but you managed to pull it off; a bob cut that's a little too long, makeup that's good for another day. Light blue eyes that popped under tired-dark eyelids.

You grab a quick shower, and pull on a black tank top with a red and black flannel shirt over that. Jeans on, boots on, jacket on and out the door. Hey, nice! You'd put your phone on charge the night before so it should be good for the day. The upstairs corridor outside your apartment was well lit, with a surprisingly nice cream carpet underfoot and walls painted with a soft blue color. You lived in a block of 12 apartments. Your neighbor, Miss Spears, insisted on keeping the communal area here clean. She was pretty great like that, fitting very firmly into the Kindly Older Lady category of person.

You head downstairs and out of the building before looking over the road.

Cops are still there, looking nervous. Now that you're on the ground and not having to peer through a small window, you're able to get a better sense of what's going on. The convenience store still looks open even if the cops look like they're attempting to handle a situation that could pretty rapidly spiral out of their control. There's a pair of trucks parked up in the front of the building - whatever's going on in there probably has bystanders. You know that there's a route around the back of the building into the supply entrance. Odds are there's cops back there too. There's a roof access that you saw them trying to get an air-conditioning unit in through once upon a time and it's pretty unlikely that anyone's going to be up there.

A mustard yellow Ford Focus pulled up. A good few years old and looking like another car had taken a chunk out of the back end of it. Bryan, your lawyer friend, was sitting inside the car looking out over the scene. Odds are he'd been listening to the police scanner and heard about some kind of stand-off. He was looking down into his passenger seat, shuffling through papers.

It feels pretty tense but... It's hard to say exactly why, but you get the feeling you can help here. You can make a difference. A little voice in the back of your head urges you forwards.

What does it say?

A - Go talk to Bryan. He might know more of what's going on here.
B - Go talk to one of the officers. See if they need any help.
C - See if you can find the officer in charge. You know about the layout of the store and can help.
D - I bet that backdoor's unlocked. You could probably go in there and sort this poo poo out. You'd need to sneak around there but... Hey, it could work.
E - I've got a better idea...
write in.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1. AC

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AC sounds good to me.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
AD

If we get caught, good thing our lawyer is here.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

AD

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

AC

Remind me whether we're at all trained for the kind of thing we're seeing. At least we're not terminally awkward.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

AB

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

A

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

AC

Remind me whether we're at all trained for the kind of thing we're seeing. At least we're not terminally awkward.

The way that dicerolling in Scion works is that you take the number of dots that you have in an Attribute and roll those dots as D10s plus any dots you have in a skill that's relevant. So if we wanted to sneak in we'd roll our Dexterity and Subterfuge, so we would roll 4 (dex) + 1 (Subterfuge) for 5 Dice. Any d10 that rolls an 8 or better is a success. If we land on a 10 we get to roll that dice again.

We are super brainy. 5 dice in intellect means that if we're doing thinky things, or things that would require cunning (4) or resolve (3) we're pretty sure we're going to get at least one success no matter what we do. Because we're this drat smart, we can turn our hand to basically anything (Intellect 5 + Medicine 0 still gives us 5 dice. It ain't pretty but we can first aid just by virtue of being smart enough to go 'blood should be inside the body.')

We might not want to lean too hard on our strength of one and our close combat of zero. Thankfully we have a good wodge of Dexterity, so the odds of us actually getting punched are pretty low at the moment.

We have a dot in Subterfuge. That would be 5 dice in total so we're pretty sneaky if we wanted to go in around the back. Then again, we have Presence 3 and Manipulation 4 as attributes and Persuasion 2 and Subterfuge 1. We can use these attributes and skills in combination to roll up to 6 dice to Manipulate and Persuade someone that they should do what we want, rather than what the rulebook tells them to do.

There's a character sheet in the OP if you want to have a look at that and see what we're good and what we're not so hot at.

Rules Stuff

The number of successes that we get will need to beat a set difficulty level. Minimum difficulty on anything that needs rolling is a 1. 1 difficulty is you manage to outrun someone chasing you. 3 is you outran a police car on foot. 5 is you manage to outrun the wyld hunt. 5+ is you outran a Fury.

Sometimes success will come with complications. These don't prevent a character from succeeding in their task, but they do function as a 'yes, but...' sort of thing. You get Enhancements when you set yourself up in a good position and these give automatic successes. I'll basically be handling this stuff behind the scenes.

Degrees of success exist here too. If you beat the target number by 1 you showed off some skill while beating the challenge. If you beat it by 4+ you'll make the nightly news. Same goes for degrees of failure. If you hack into a computer terminal with one degree of success you find that there's a record of a portable hard drive somewhere on the network. If you get a 4+ margin of success, you find out every password the terminal owner has. If you fail by 1 you'll be locked out and security might be informed in the morning. If you fail by 4+ you'll be locked out of the system and you can expect an armed response team.

One of the cool things about Scion is that even if you fail you don't eat poo poo. You're too important to Fate to do that. Failure is never a dead end and it will always lead to something new, or build to a heroic comeback. Every time you fail - that is, you don't roll any successes, or don't beat a target number. you get something called a Consolation. These are helpful, buy minor, side effects of failure. A chance meeting, an unlooked for advantage, a fateful encounter.

Botches exist but should be super rare. They only happen when you don't roll a single success (ie nothing 8 or higher), and you roll at least one 1. If you botch, you not only fail to achieve your goal, but you suffer an additional setback. You don't get a Consolation from this other than something called Momentum which is a thing I'll be managing.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

AC

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

AC

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

AD

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Chapter 1 - QuickChek-ing In.

You head over to Bryan's car and knock on the window a couple of times. He looks up from the sheaf of papers he was sorting through, a laptop open and buried under them, his little bluetooth headset flashing to indicate audio coming through it. He held his right hand up, mouthed something and then slapped at the phone on his dashboard. His freehand lowered the window and he looked out, reaching up to pull the headset off.

"Hey, Junie," he said - he was a Jersey boy through and through. Accent was ax-cent, I don't know what i-doe-know, gently caress it was fukket. He was tall looking and must have dumped his dark brown hair in product in the morning. He looked like he probably shouldn't stand too close to naked flames. Clean shaven with a hefty splash of cologne. Bryan has green eyes and always looks slightly too skinny looking in his suits. "Please tell me you're not involved with this thing."

You raise an eyebrow and lean your elbows on the window frame of his car. "I don't even know what this is. I was just looking to get some coffee."

Bryan perked, eyebrow raising. "Oh, sure, me too," he said. "I'm just here as a concerned citizen who's not monitoring police bands for stuff that's inevitably going to end with someone claiming damages so they can just so happen to be the first lawyer on the scene."

"You know that's not how it works, right? It's not like you're salvaging from the Titanic."

"No, I tend to salvage wreckage that's more of the emotional kind," said Bryan without a hint of shame. He was pretty predatory in some ways but, then again, if you wanted to be a criminal lawyer in New Jersey you had to be willing to occasionally bend the rules and act like a scumbag. "Hey, you live around here, right?"

"Just over the road."

"Cool, so you know the place?"

"Yeah. Lived here a long time. Look, you wanna skip to the end?" you ask.

"Fine. There's someone in that store from the Van Hagen family and another from the Sonoma family," he said-

You checked your memory. The Van Hagans and the Sonoma families had beef with each other stretching back almost a century and a half. The Sonoma's claimed that they were one of the first families to settle the area and the Van Hagans claim that they're native. The Van Hagans had nothing to back this up with other than a few streets that they'd named after themselves throughout the county and, that once a year, they took over a park for a get together that was commonly referred to as the 'tax exempt gathering of the juggalos.' Both families hunted, they both charged around on ATV's, both did a lot of homeschooling, and both families were a significant drain on police resources in the area. Then there was the money.

Back in the 1940s, after the second world war, Ares Armory and the US Military realised they had a whole load of chemicals that they needed to get rid of. Hunting around for the lowest bidder, they were convinced by some local waste disposal experts (the Van Hagan family later alleged that those local waste disposal experts were from the Sonoma family) that the caves under land that belonged to the Van Hagans was a fine place to dump barrels full of nazi killing chemicals. Over the next forty years, cancer rates on the land skyrocketed. The earth itself started to reject the Van Hagans, with spirits beginning to rise up against them. A significant number of hauntings reported, with paranormal becoming the watchword in a little trailer park in the north of Passaic county. The spirits didn't know what was going on; all they knew is that the people that lived there lived there, and something had changed that had ruined the land that both of them occupied.

In the late 90's, what Ares did was found out. The company lawyered up so hard that they only had to pay for half of the clean up rather than the clean up and payouts to victims. The entire Van Hagan estate became a superfund site, and each family was compensated with long term medical care, repairs to the foundations of their houses and five hundred grand a year, per household, every year for twenty years. Sure, they couldn't sell their houses and move out (who wanted to buy a trailer in a poisoned, haunted trailer park?) but now that they were getting that kind of money, they had no desire to move. Seeing Escalades rolling out of a park was kind of bonkers for a while. It also started to annoy the Sonoma family. The hicks that they'd tried to gently caress over had somehow come out of having their land poisoned with millions of dollars in compensation for their trouble. Giving a group of people with no experience in handling money a big sack of money ended the way doing that always ends, though. The Van Hagans signed a bunch of lovely contracts, made some real bad decisions and got snagged in the crash back in 08. In total, they've managed to blow the vast majority of the money they got in their settlements.

They had nothing, then they won the government clean-up lottery, their rivals hated them, then they lost most of their money and they have property no one would ever buy with angry spirits living there. Your usual Hillbilly Mafia stuff.

Bryan continued. "Like- one of 'em's got a loving handaxe or something and he's holding everyone in there hostage. I'm looking for emotional trauma, personal injury, police incompetence, that kind of stuff."

"You're a real humanitarian, you know that? Something I don't get. It's not like the Van Hagan's or the Sonoma clan are really low on firearms. Why would you bring a hatchet to something like this when shotguns are basically standard issue for those families?"

Bryan paused like you'd just offered him some question he had no idea how to answer. "Maybe this isn't a planned thing? They just happened to be in the same place at the same time and one of them's meth'd out, saw the other one go into the store and grabbed the closest thing to a weapon they had in their truck?" You look over at the cops and they look to get getting ready for something. The lawyer shifted in his seat and undid his seatbelt before moving to open the car door, nudging you back from it.

Being this close to the QuickChek, or the trucks or... something, you were getting that feeling on the back of your neck that you get sometimes. The first time you went to a properly Scion blessed temple, the first time you went to a museum in the city and saw a chunk of Izanagi's staff. That sense of something special happening. You're getting a faint tingling sensation in the pit of your stomach, the hairs on the back of your neck are standing and the roof of your mouth is dry. There's something nearby that's magical. Could be something in one of the trucks or it could be something inside the store. It's impossible to determine what kind of magic it is exactly, especially without knowing the source but... Yeah. Something's hinky.

"You look like you've got a plan and that 'I can make a difference here' kind of expression," said Bryan.

"Well, since you asked, something ain't right about this. I've got this sixth sense and it's buzzing like crazy.
A - I'm gonna go take a look at the trucks. Maybe whatever's setting me off is in there.
B - I can sneak around the back of the store. See if there's something going on there.
C - Can you silver-tongue me into the store? Tell them I'm a negotiator or something. I wanna get a look around inside before something bad happens.
D - I bet one of the cops can tell us who's the guy with the axe. Maybe we can talk them down from out here.
E - I bet one of the cops can tell us who's got the axe. I bet we could get their family here, defuse this before it gets violent.
F - I'm just going to let this play out. The cops look like they're about to head in. Hopefully no one'll die.

"Yeah? Well, you better do it fast. I have a feeling the cops are going to start shooting real soon."

An incredible 5 successes on that first roll. Intellect + Culture to work out who the Hagens and Sonoma's are.

Presence of Magic has been tripped by something in the proximity to the convenience store.

A quick secondary vote:

Would people like to know what dice are being rolled on which decision? So 'Lockpick the door' would be listed as 'Lockpick the door (Dex + Subterfuge)'

G - Show us the skills!
H - No thanks.

Sion fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 17, 2018

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1. ABC
2. G

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

BD
G

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

1. ABC
2. G

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Works for me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A
G

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

BC
GH

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

ABC
G

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

I think we're gonna be listing rolls, then. Updating in a few hours time.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A
T-T-Tiebreaker

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Chapter 1 - QuickChek-ing In 2.

"Well, since you asked, something ain't right about this. I've got this sixth sense and it's buzzing like crazy. I'm gonna go take a look at the trucks. Maybe whatever's setting me off is in there," you said.

Bryan nodded, sniffing once. He reached down to the handle on his door and pulled on it. "Yeah? Well, you better do it fast. I have a feeling the cops are going to start shooting real soon."

Bryan's feelings about if people were going to start shooting guns in his general vicinity were usually spot on. The fact that the cops were gathering up at the front of the convenience store was starting to give it away. One of the cops leaning against his car sighed; his dark blue uniform creased a little as he rubbed a meaty hand against his forehead. His other hand had a cellphone in it. He held it away from his ear, sighed again and swore under his breath.

Everyone was distracted by what was happening in the store. You sneak up to the truck and take a look inside. You're trying to be subtle about it, looking through the windows on the large Toyota pickup like you're casing it. You search the passenger's side window and there's a stack of letters on the dashboard; past due notices, junkmail, two for one coupons. In the seating well of the passenger seat there's some bags from a Wallgreens pharmacy. A few empty QuickChek coffee cups in the central column and an empty pill bottle labelled 'Quetiapine - 400mg' sitting right beside them. You're pretty sure that it's a an anti-psychotic drug. Can't be sure without checking online or speaking with a pharmacist. 400mg in a pill seems like a lot though.

The past due notices are addressed to Harry Van Hagan.

There's nothing in the car that's directly radiating magical energy, but there's a stronger field here to be sure. The tingle in your nose is getting stronger, the sense that there was something in here. If this were an old cartoon, you'd be able to see a magical, wafty line leading into the store and towards Harry. Harry's either magic (unlikely) or is holding something else that's magic (more likely.)

Makes sense that the other truck, an old, busted up looking Chevy Trailblazer, belongs to the Sonoma guy that's in there. You head over to it and your luck breaks.

"Hey!" calls a cop. "Back up! It's not safe to be here right now!" he calls.

"Oh, poo poo, I mean-"

A - Van Hagan's taking antipsychotic medication. He doesn't need to be shot, he needs help. (Manipulation + Medicine)
B - I'm supposed to be here. I'm the negotiator. Who's in charge? (Manipulation + Subterfuge)
C - I know it's not safe, I'm a relative of Harry's. I can talk him down, he just needs his medication. (Manipulation + Subterfuge)
D - There's something magical in there that's potentially real bad news. If you go in there, everything's going to go real sideways, real fast. Trust me, I'm an expert on this stuff. (Presence + Occult)

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
1. AD

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Edit: changing vote from AD to DA

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 18, 2018

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D.

No need to lie to the cops here, we actually are an occult expert. Also they probably brought an axe instead of a shotgun because the axe is magic. Wonder if it’s having an influence on them. Maybe it’s possessed by one of those angry ghosts, sounds like they’d have a beef with the Sonomas. Might be driving the owner crazy.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

AD

We can help or at least deescalate and we don't need to lie about how or why.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Hopping on the AD train!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

A

We've got what we need to deescalate the situation and magic tends to cause problems with the cops.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AD

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

AD

Seroquel is also used as a sedative, but not at those doses. Even half that left me too sedated to function.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Seroquel is also used as a sedative, but not at those doses. Even half that left me too sedated to function.

More reason to think Harry isn’t behind the wheel right now, something’s probably riding him.

Jossar posted:

We've got what we need to deescalate the situation and magic tends to cause problems with the cops.

I’d hope convincing the cops that magic was involved would get them to wait until some sort of specialist team showed up rather than running in and getting slaughtered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

There's an 'active magic in situation' playbook that the cops have. Magical interference is not exactly common so rural cops might be under equipped to deal with anything too serious, but there will be a playbook. It's an unknown element, however, and cops tend not to like unknown elements in hostage situations.

• Locked thread