Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Great Beer posted:

What if Lions gadget was a single super-scan type thing. Press the button, everyone gets a red ping marker like they'd been scanned with a drone. Then instead of forcing the attackers to hold still he makes them want to move. Sort of like Dokk + Jackal but not as good as either seperately.

Problem here is that it instantly outs all roamer setups. Absolutely devastating in Pro League to wait 30 seconds and then do a scan and know that three people are offsite and their general locations. It also means that Lion is still 100% ludicrously top-tier at preventing retakes and aiding pushes. He would still be a 100% pick rate operator.

Compromising enemy positions is literally one of the most powerful abilities in RB6, it has to come with a bunch of caveats and limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
switch it to you have to move to not get spotted

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Problem here is that it instantly outs all roamer setups. Absolutely devastating in Pro League to wait 30 seconds and then do a scan and know that three people are offsite and their general locations. It also means that Lion is still 100% ludicrously top-tier at preventing retakes and aiding pushes. He would still be a 100% pick rate operator.

Compromising enemy positions is literally one of the most powerful abilities in RB6, it has to come with a bunch of caveats and limitations.

Maybe make him sit on his drone and focus it on a specific location so he only gets part of the map instead of the whole thing? Might be a problem on Tower though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wooper posted:

Ok so then the incentive is for the Defenders to do a tiny little shuffle in a corner and so the scan is somewhat worthless.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just pointing out that Lion's ability is really hosed up but at the same time it's going to be really hard to fix without making it turn to garbage.

My only opinion is that it needs to stop being a map-wide global one-touch ability. That's just too good in too many circumstances.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Make the hover drone like any other; he has to get on his phone or wristband or whatever the gently caress, and stay on it for the duration of the ability. He should be 100% vulnerable and out of the game while using it.

Even then it might be too much.

Also give everyone Super Saiyan auras when they're Finka'd.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Make the hover drone like any other; he has to get on his phone or wristband or whatever the gently caress, and stay on it for the duration of the ability. He should be 100% vulnerable and out of the game while using it.

Even then it might be too much.

Also give everyone Super Saiyan auras when they're Finka'd.

Also they should be screaming. The whole time. Just constantly.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Great Beer posted:

Then instead of forcing the attackers to hold still he makes them want to move.

:doh:

I've been playing it as I had to move while being scanned or they'll easily know my position.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Wooper posted:

Switch it to Aliens' motion tracker that you have to hold up to your face and stand still only.

That would have been more fitting for outbreak too.

Also wow I'm kinda impressed by their willingness to experiment so god drat much with outbreak but anyone with zero work experience in the industry knew it was a waste of time to do it one time only and yet they did it anyway.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The thing that's crazy to me is that they spent a year on Outbreak and they're supposedly never bringing it back. Like I just figured they'd slot it into Halloween rotation annually or something but nope...3 levels, a shitload of work on high quality yet ultimately disjointed cutscenes, new enemy types, new music, welp gently caress it, we're scrapping it after 30 days (buy the packs!!!). Just baffling.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Welcome to UBISOFT

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
lol the funniest part was getting operation health instead of a new map and everything they said regarding memory limits while secretly working on this

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ubisoft can make up whatever bullshit they want and 90% of Reddit will parrot it for them. We can't change that because...ah...the megabytes are too stale and...the...data format is pushing the out of bounds exception, yeah.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ubisoft can make up whatever bullshit they want and 90% of Reddit will parrot it for them. We can't change that because...ah...the megabytes are too stale and...the...data format is pushing the out of bounds exception, yeah.

It’s very simple Boolean logic: Ubisoft can’t fix something AND not break something else.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ ^ ^

LMAO "I don't like to talk to strangers in my gaming sessions so I made Lion, a guy who gives everybody wallhacks"...what a maroon.

Finka and Lion were both made for the loving Outbreak mode and transposed into the PvP side. That's why they feel so wrong.

Finka makes sense as a counter to Rook and Doc (at the same time); "If you get extra survivability, then so do we... plus an ADS boost, reload boost, remote revive, etc."

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

finka's ability should only be a self-buff and not affect teammates imo

she's stupid but she gets the saiga/lmg so she is at least fun. both lion/finka's guns should be nerfed to ying tier though

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

keep lion's gadget exactly as it is except that you can't scan within the first 20 seconds and defenders can shoot the drone down

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

keep lion's gadget exactly as it is except that you can't scan within the first 20 seconds and defenders can shoot the drone down

You know, I hadn't thought about that - I never really pay attention to the drone. I think that could be a good idea, seeing as it's right over the building. So one of the defenders will need to jump outside (presumably after waiting for the attackers to enter via another direction) and fire a burst or two into the drone.
Obviously it'll need to be more than 1-2 bullets though, otherwise there's only very low risk that the defender will be killed. Maybe make it so they need to empty like, 10-15 rounds into it, so they have to stay outside for a little while, before jumping back to safety.

EDIT: Although make it so that it's "immune" to damage for the first 20-30 seconds as well, to match the period it can't be used for. Like, it's not actually at the target area until then; so you see it whizz along from off-map to its position over the building a second or two before it becomes useable.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 18, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

this would gut lion because jumpout attacks have become pretty normal in this game after ubi fixed spawn peeking by not letting anyone spawn directly into the line of sight.

spawn peeking is like a legit part of gameplay now with dozens of objects to obstruct the approach to the building yet still allowing defenders to easily attack people that just rush straight in.

also someone mentioned before that you can just shoot it down from the skylights that are common in many maps. really the only map i have never seen this exploitable in is the korean tower one. it would be especially OP in casual because everyone always spawns in the same spot and a defender with good ears can just listen for the camera pop then walk out in total safety on the opposite end of the map.

i really hope these abilities are just going to be placeholders and that they rework them ASAP instead of just reducing the number of uses or whatever.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Drone is killable, but it's off-map until Lion summons it for a scan. Once the countdown starts, it's a valid target. Countdown ends, drone leaves.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Thief posted:

this would gut lion because jumpout attacks have become pretty normal in this game after ubi fixed spawn peeking by not letting anyone spawn directly into the line of sight.

spawn peeking is like a legit part of gameplay now with dozens of objects to obstruct the approach to the building yet still allowing defenders to easily attack people that just rush straight in.

also someone mentioned before that you can just shoot it down from the skylights that are common in many maps. really the only map i have never seen this exploitable in is the korean tower one. it would be especially OP in casual because everyone always spawns in the same spot and a defender with good ears can just listen for the camera pop then walk out in total safety on the opposite end of the map.

i really hope these abilities are just going to be placeholders and that they rework them ASAP instead of just reducing the number of uses or whatever.

Ah, yeah fair point - I'd forgotten about the skylights. In hindsight yeah, destroying it would be trivial on bank and consulate to say the least, I suppose.

As it stands, I hope so too; since I really find Lion's ability annoying, as it's just unfun to play against. Even something like what another goon mentioned earlier, about replacing the operator outlines with 'ping' markers like what drones make would be better, for the interim.

EDIT:

slap me and kiss me posted:

Drone is killable, but it's off-map until Lion summons it for a scan. Once the countdown starts, it's a valid target. Countdown ends, drone leaves.

Actually yeah, or that - that could make for some interesting gameplay. So you can only realistically hit it while it's stationary (i.e. while it makes the scan itself) since it'll be a hard target to hit during the countdown, due to it rapidly moving to position.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 18, 2018

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Imo easiest way to fix lion is to keep his ability exactly as is but make it so only he can see the enemy outlines. He should get 2 uses instead of 3 with 20 sec cooldown too.

Or just remove that lovely rear end operator from the game that works too.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYkAOOK5mbM

can we talk about one of the biggest issues with this game?

at first i thought the new group charm was a joke about how Ubi just recycles the same model for reskins over and over but what is even more offensive is the BLATANT power creep going on with these new unique charms that are only available to people that have internet friends!

i mean just look at this:

what the actual gently caress were they t hinking this is so loving OP. let's not forget that this camouflage is augmented by the pay2win green uniforms/masks...

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

There's no fixing lion's ability because it's fundamentally flawed in that it's unfun to play against

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I always wear my nendoroid charmu (that is Japanese for charm) when going to the Nippon map for higher camouflage value.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

There's no fixing lion's ability because it's fundamentally flawed in that it's unfun to play against

replace it echolocation where lion has to scream really loud in order to detect people via sonar

tjones
May 13, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

Ubi, hire this guy, plz

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You know what? gently caress the scan thing entirely. Have it make a bunch of noise for x seconds across the map and mute the sounds your teammates make. Then the enemy can't hear Fuze nade placements, thermite charges, people running, vaulting, breaking poo poo, etc.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

that's a great idea and lion's roar would seriously own

sound masking is the best meta. one of the best way to do mid-round flanking jumpout/spawnpeeks is to wait for explosions or gunshots to break the boards :ssh:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Let mute attach jammers to teammates' backs. Harder to defend from attacker gadgets but you can't get wubbed.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Great Beer posted:

You know what? gently caress the scan thing entirely. Have it make a bunch of noise for x seconds across the map and mute the sounds your teammates make. Then the enemy can't hear Fuze nade placements, thermite charges, people running, vaulting, breaking poo poo, etc.
That would actually be cool.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Great Beer posted:

first Lion suggestion I've seen that seems like it would actually be really good

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Hm. You can cheese an extra 50 points out of kills as doc by reviving people you've downed and then killing them again. Doc OP

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Where's Hard when you need him to read something and make it happen???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

My friend thought up the idea that Lion's scan could be super-slow. Like he gets one and it's a very slow moving line that scans across the map reeeeeeally slowly (like at 4 feet per second) and you're only detected if you move through it (you leave like a little blip) and if you stay still as it washes over you you're fine.

He got the idea from Star Trek episode where Picard had to stay ahead of the Barium sweep.

But the idea that it's just a really loud roar is a good one too.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

during my crew's team v team custom game last night I couldnt help but just completely clown on a couple of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F8lEBdcnfs

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The Lion ability is pretty annoying but i'm sick of reading all the posts on reddit whining about how the game is ruined because of global abilities.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

TBH its a year and a half later and I still think Cav's loving down you in one shot pistol has broken the game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The range that thing has killed me from is absurd, that operator is dumb as gently caress.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol cav owns and was literally the first operator that caught my attenion because i started in Skull Rain - an operation famously named after the tears of attackers that got seperated from their group in the favela labyrinth until it was removed from the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Favela's worst problems were not inside the buildings.