Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Junior Jr. posted:

Maybe they'll go look for a new job and embarrassingly try to explain to employers what they've been doing for the last 10 years.

This has something that has always been on my mind when it came to internet critics. If you decided to do this as a full-time job, you'd have to figure somewhere down the line you'd stop doing it (willingly or not) down the line. That's a rather big gap to put on your resume.

Like, generously, there's some way you can explain what you did in terms of work experience, but I imagine it would be awkward to have had an online presence of "I used other people's work to basically MST3K it on the internet for a decade" for a potential employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Yeah, no.

Junior Jr. posted:

Anyway that being said, gently caress Channel Awesome and gently caress the head honchos for loving over everyone else and rightfully getting what they deserved. May it burn in hell.

It's just super depressing seeing something that everyone on the outside believed to be a cool place to be a part of just has the mask pulled off and lo and behold, it's High School: The Not-Even-MCN. Every little petty thing just blew the gently caress up, and even with all of that, there's sexual predation and gross PR spin for no reason on everything and the simultaneous "every man for himself" tied in with wannabe-mafioso bullshit... It's so goddamn disappointing.

Channel Awesome needs to end, if it isn't essentially done already. In a sane world, Mike Michaud never gets any level of corporate or executive position ever again, and Doug and Rob need to come up with something better than vlogs to sustain themselves.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Ashens reviews a... Mini N Commodore 64???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvDNAAa20M4

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-Sy11mvZU

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

This has something that has always been on my mind when it came to internet critics. If you decided to do this as a full-time job, you'd have to figure somewhere down the line you'd stop doing it (willingly or not) down the line. That's a rather big gap to put on your resume.

Like, generously, there's some way you can explain what you did in terms of work experience, but I imagine it would be awkward to have had an online presence of "I used other people's work to basically MST3K it on the internet for a decade" for a potential employer.

I think the idea from there is like... trying to act (live or vocal), or do signings and tours? I don't know, it does seem like a rather large black hole if you aren't putting shitloads of cash in savings, and considering CA seemed to be on the brink of collapsing financially forever, I can't imagine that they're in any sort of safe place money-wise.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Junior Jr. posted:

he should go ahead and kill himself

Please stop posting.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Oh... oh nooo.

I'd never seen the full clip before, he hangs around wayyyy too long after the big reveal. It should be "I QUIT", "WHOO", Queen starts playing as he exits while the momentum is still high. None of this "point at probable bosses or managers and sing vindictive lyrics directly at them" nonsense.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ricdesi posted:

It's just super depressing seeing something that everyone on the outside believed to be a cool place to be a part of just has the mask pulled off and lo and behold, it's High School: The Not-Even-MCN. Every little petty thing just blew the gently caress up

To be honest, I'm not sure how (generic) you saw it as anything but High School: The Not-Even-MCN. I said it before, I think, that 70% of the drama coming out of CA felt to me like the sort of interpersonal bullshit that happens at any job where a bunch of 20-somethings work together for long periods of time. The main difference between that sort of X-currently-hates-Y-etc bullshit only gets aired between the group, instead of being posted on Twitter for everyone's perspective audiences to hear about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mister Bibbs if you detest internet review content so much why are you here.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

To be honest, I'm not sure how (generic) you saw it as anything but High School: The Not-Even-MCN. I said it before, I think, that 70% of the drama coming out of CA felt to me like the sort of interpersonal bullshit that happens at any job where a bunch of 20-somethings work together for long periods of time. The main difference between that sort of X-currently-hates-Y-etc bullshit only gets aired between the group, instead of being posted on Twitter for everyone's perspective audiences to hear about.

Honestly, it was probably willful ignorance, at least for me. I only started getting into NC/CA about four years ago, and it was immediately an "aw man, wouldn't it be cool to be a part of that?" reaction from me, but I never looked at it up close enough to see any of the drama that in hindsight was clearly bubbling over on a constant basis. If you spend too much time looking up to someone/something instead of really paying attention, you wind up with blinders on.

I think the most telling thing about why CA doesn't work is how they treated Holly Brown. You don't gently caress with your own HR, they are pretty much the only real barrier between you and massive legal poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

You know exactly why he's here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's why it wasn't a question. :D

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I think you have me confused with someone else. I like internet content just fine, by and large.

Like, I'm a little annoyed that I looked up RLM since I hadn't in a while, and found very little new stuff, but other than that I'm pretty much vegan kosher on internet content.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

I think you have me confused with someone else. I like internet content just fine, by and large.

Your sassy tone when describing what these people do makes me think other wise. I don't think it would be that hard to explain what you did for a living if you have something to show for it.

"I've spent the last few years making a very active and popular film review site, which had a variety of different content, such as comedy skits, short films, and sometimes a feature. We had over a million subs and made a lot of money".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're nearly down 50000 subscribers and losing an average of 1500 subs per day.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Your sassy tone when describing what these people do makes me think other wise. I don't think it would be that hard to explain what you did for a living if you have something to show for it.

Nah, any assumed sassiness is purely imagined.

But really, I can get telling your employer that you learned how to work with others (and given CA's collapse, you could justifiably swing it as working in difficult situations), utilizing social media, etc etc. At the same time, having done video skits while reviewing bad movies/comics/games/whatever for a decade seems like it'd be kinda alienating for a future employer, depending on the conventionalness of the company.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're nearly down 50000 subscribers and losing an average of 1500 subs per day.

It's kind of amazing that the first notable thing to happen after them finally reaching 1,000,000 subscribers and getting that Gold Play Button is the complete collapse of their site, possibly losing them that seven-figure sub count too. (And we all know which one Michaud cares about more.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, any assumed sassiness is purely imagined.

But really, I can get telling your employer that you learned how to work with others (and given CA's collapse, you could justifiably swing it as working in difficult situations), utilizing social media, etc etc. At the same time, having done video skits while reviewing bad movies/comics/games/whatever for a decade seems like it'd be kinda alienating for a future employer, depending on the conventionalness of the company.

i mean you can easily get some job in a similar field. a couple of the CA guys have already gone onto more traditional jobs, like one of the french guys works on made for TV movies now. they aren't gonna sit down and vet literally everything you ever did, just 'i did sketch comedy videos for a website' is a reasonable enough thing to say. and a lot of sketch comedy is built on the backs of other stuff. like the soup is a show that airs on television.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Endorph posted:

they aren't gonna sit down and vet literally everything you ever did, just 'i did sketch comedy videos for a website' is a reasonable enough thing to say. and a lot of sketch comedy is built on the backs of other stuff. l

Unless you're DSP and the second image for googling image search is you jerking it on cam

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

At the same time, having done video skits while reviewing bad movies/comics/games/whatever for a decade seems like it'd be kinda alienating for a future employer, depending on the conventionalness of the company.

What job are you imagining them applying to? It sounds like you're picturing them going to a generic white collar office and doing accounting or something that involves sitting at a desk all day, and honestly, why?

Like Endorph said, they could find jobs in their field. A decade of doing videos means they've got editing skills, they've got scripting skills, they've got time management skills, even if none of it's professional it's still experience that could get them into TV or commercials. Hell, most likely they're just gonna continue making videos like they've done for the last decade only without the millstone named Michaud hanging round their neck.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
DSP is so screwed when some 11 year old insults him again and he inevitably flips out and loses his twitch channel. He's like a cockroach though, he'll find a way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Leal posted:

Unless you're DSP and the second image for googling image search is you jerking it on cam
there are some careers where thats a benefit

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I might win my bet! I bet with a friend that in 6 months they wouldn't have recovered. A nice 50$ in canadian money dollars.

Edit: changed my mind, hopefully quickly enough.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Nella's finally getting the recognition she deserves!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nella, more like Hella.

Hella good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

What job are you imagining them applying to? It sounds like you're picturing them going to a generic white collar office and doing accounting or something that involves sitting at a desk all day, and honestly, why?

:shrug: Because I generally assume that the mid-20s-early-30s bartender serving me a drink is eventually going to stop being a bartender and do something else?

Like, read the post you're quoting. Sure, you can take being an internet critic and break it down into appealing traits on a resume, and some might get a job in a vaguely similar vein. But like I said, I always wondered about the economic repercussions down the line if an potential employer wonders what you did for ten years and has a :wtc: reaction to googling your name and finding that you taped yourself acting angry about video games during that empty spot in your resume.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

man incapable of eating hot dogs wonders about career prospects of strangers on the internet

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

JesuOtaku's gone on to be associate editor at ANN, so I'm going to assume that a lot of the successful ones won't have that much issue moving on with their life.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

wait, what, they made that old arcade game into a hollywood movie???????

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Loving the continued generalization that every internet critic is Doug and has no marketable skills beyond yelling at clips of movies and waving a fake gun around.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I imagine that most of the people who either don't have Patreon or do videos full time have some kind of job.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

John Murdoch posted:

Loving the continued generalization that every internet critic is Doug and has no marketable skills beyond yelling at clips of movies and waving a fake gun around.

To be fair, even Doug has talents he can use in other jobs. I know he did improv for like a minute, and there was that PBS commercial from like ten years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUhTevBnqbE

If the guy gets a decent agent, he can have a steady career.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

To be fair, even Doug has talents he can use in other jobs. I know he did improv for like a minute, and there was that PBS commercial from like ten years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUhTevBnqbE

This is why I said that Doug's more a comedian than a critic. Like, yeah he's dim and doesn't get basic poo poo, but the dude has charisma, can sell a joke, and can put up a likeable front when need be. He just needs a proper writer and director guiding him to make the most of his talents.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
There's a non-zero chance Misterbibs has to wear a helmet when he leaves the house.

That Jerry impression lol

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So I checked out a guy named I Hate Everything, and was enjoying his content until I watched his review of the Emoji movie where he went on a rant about "forced feminist messages," and how they offend "certain people," and are catering to "social justice warriors." The reason I subbed to him was his review of The Last Jedi where he called people who made rants against the movie on this line complete idiots. What the gently caress?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Sanguinia posted:

So I checked out a guy named I Hate Everything, and was enjoying his content until I watched his review of the Emoji movie where he went on a rant about "forced feminist messages," and how they offend "certain people," and are catering to "social justice warriors." The reason I subbed to him was his review of The Last Jedi where he called people who made rants against the movie on this line complete idiots. What the gently caress?

Yeah IHE is a bit inconsistent on that front. I'm not sure where his actual views lie, but I wouldn't be surprised if he panders to the "anti-sjw" crowd because that's a huge part of his subscriber base. For all I know that could be his real opinion though.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i dont remember that at all

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

lol if you think the creators of Emoji Movie care about feminism or leftism or anything that's not money

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I like that the whole premise of the commercial is that his impressions suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Again, I think there's a good point in there about companies and capitalism in general trying to exploit progressive trends to shield themselves from critique or present their cynically made product as part of The Resistance (tm) but he phrased it very poorly.