Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah, more or less from the beginning and was skeptical about how good the game would be even back during kickstarter.

Basically when it was announced, i took a look, was like, ok, interesting, new space games are always welcome. Watched a few demos, thought ambitious. And while i thought the earlier CR games were ok, i was never a fanboy.

Then ED was also announced, and watched the early Braben videos and thought to myself, gods, Braben couldn't sell a man dying of thirst a drink. But, at least his pitch was more reasonable. I'd been waiting for Elite 4 for a loooong time, always been an Elite fan and had resigned myself to playing Pioneer to relive the Elite experience.

When CIG released the (in)-famous helmet flip demo and the crowd went wild with that, my thoughts were: they are making a game for mentally retarded people. I was like, hells guys, its just a animation, get a loving life. It was at that point there was no way i was going to give CIG a single penny until they released a fully working game that looked decent to play. So far, that seems like a long way off.

Anyway, ED went into beta, and a friend had bought it and was telling me to get it, so i decided to give it a look, became a beta backer, and when the LEP went on offer a year later, bought it with no regrets. ED has been a solid investment for me. It gets a lot of criticism, some of it even justified, but doesn't matter, i still enjoy the game 2600 hours later. Not often a game holds my attention like that.

I kind for forgot about SC for a while, but then the Derek Smart thing kicked off, and later other sources also picked up on some things, so i started looking at the SC subreddit and the SC thread on the FD forums, and i was horrified with how things were going. Insanely increased scope, a demented fanbase (not all, there are sane backers as well, but for every sane backer there is a crazy one). I started reading the FD SC thread, the SC sub, and the refund sub. In short, i became a vocal skeptic (as opposed to earlier being a quiet skeptic).

Much later, just a few months ago, i started reading this thread, and found it to be highly entertaining. So lurked. Then just yesterday, found i couldn't read the forums any more, so decided to pay lowtax's tax. And if i'm paying, i might as well comment.

A week or so ago i requested a year ban from the SC sub forum. I've spent too much time on that sub, arguing with cultists (blocking loads because they didn't want to debate, they just went direct to insults), and trying to get the more moderate fans to manage their expectations. But too many believe the gospel of Chris, and still believe that everything CIG have promised will come true, which to my mind is an impossible task, especially since if everything was implemented as described, it would be a horrible gameplay experience.

Overall, i'm doubtful CIG will be able to keep funding going until release, which has to be years away before they have something they can call a beta. On the other hand, they keep sucking people in who throw money at the game, and there are also whales who keep putting money in. Its basically now a waiting game (while getting some lulz out of the development) to see what happens first, some sort of release or the funding drying up.

I do believe CIG have told many porkies, but i'm not sure its malicious. I think CR lives in some sort of reality warping bubble that affects those around him and those who listen to him. He really wants to make this game and believes he can do it, and that it will be good.

Do I believe CIG might release a game? Maybe.

Do I think that game will be any good? Not sure at all. Some of the mechanics they have implemented have been a bit pants, and some of the planned mechanics make FD's design decisions look sane. There might be a good game there in the end though.

Will I play it? Maybe. If its half decent. If only to target people flying big immersion chariots for a laugh.

Will it replace ED? Not a chance in hell. If i become bored of ED, i've got plenty of other games waiting to take over the title of main game for me. Plus there are other space games on the horizon which look pretty good.

Welcome to SA.
I don't post over on Frontier much these days as holding my tongue is a pain in the loving rear end.

Those asshats like EvilMerlin or Snarfbuckle annoyed me that I needed come over to SA to learn how to goon.

Now if I post over there, it will be to charmingly bait and wind up (and get temp-banned again) or post pictures of cattes.
Many of the Frontier mods don't have much of a sense of humour.
I don't think they would be interested in the joys of a good catte picture.

Cat evolving to walk like Hoo-manz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Virtual Captain, I'll try and be on a show in the next 3 weeks or so. I've got a wedding at the end of the month and Ren Faire this weekend, but May is lookin' pretty good.

I'll also try and have an update to Love Pledge ready by then.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Cool! If you can make time before May 16th that would be much appreciated.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

It’ll have to be good to match the conspiracy theory.

This resonated a bit;

“"Pivoting a video game is like turning an ocean liner," he explains. "You can't pivot on a dime in AAA with large teams and/or multiple studios. From these experiences, now I'm a believer in scoping early and often — down to the very minimum core of a game if I have to. The features which ultimately ship should have ample time to get polished rather than making lots of non-essential bells and whistles which stretch the team too thin."

He cites The Bureau: XCOM Declassified as an example. Its development was led at various points by different teams with different visions, each of which left ghostly impressions on the design, art, and code as the next team refactored the old work for the new direction because they didn't have the resources to start anew. "We had production workflows for art and code that could not be removed even though the features they were designed to support were no longer in the game," says Kelly.

When you pivot on a game's direction, Kelly explains, you not only create inefficient workflows but also harm momentum — as many features must be redone and some tools built for the old job don't fit the new job. "And you now have less money and time to finish," says Kelly. "Or to break even on your investment, you will now have to sell 30% more units than your original target. If you had just shipped the initial design, in that same time you would have a chance to pull in revenue at this point." (And as a point of career advice, Kelly adds that it's better to have another shipped game on your resumé than a gap of a year or two without a title credit — or better to have 10 years experience with multiple credits rather than zero or one, as in the case of the poor souls who worked on Duke Nukem Forever for its entire development.)”
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/316618/Reversing_the_sunk_cost_fallacy_Devs_recount_what_shouldnt_have_been_cut.php

Edit: ISO 4147
Aerospace -- Nuts, hexagonal, slotted (castellated), normal height, normal across flats, with MJ threads, classifications: 600 MPa (at ambient temperature)/120 degrees C, 600 MPa (at ambient temperature)/235 degrees C, 900 MPa (at ambient temperature)/425 degrees C, 1 100 MPa (at ambient temperature)/235 degrees C, 1 100 MPa (at ambient temperature)/315 degrees C, 1 100 MPa (at ambient temperature)/650 degrees C, 1 210 MPa (at ambient temperature)/730 degrees C, 1 250 MPa (at ambient temperature)/235 degrees C and 1 550 MPa (at ambient temperature)/600 degrees C -- Dimensions

Literal poetry.

Hav fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 18, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

Virtual Captain, I'll try and be on a show in the next 3 weeks or so. I've got a wedding at the end of the month and Ren Faire this weekend, but May is lookin' pretty good.

I’m excited to listen to today’s show later and a future one with the Agent should be great too.

Really glad you’re doing these VC!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
AdzAdama losing his poo poo about the ship is pretty great, but really I can't wait for the eulogy photoshops for when this all goes belly up in 40 years time. At the risk of calling it I suspect there'll be at least one where he has super glossy space astronaut Chris Roberts in a translucent space coffin as everyone else with giant photoshopped heads salutes his corpse being fired into a giant Star Citizen symbol.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Amazing Zimmo posted:

:siren: 3.1.3 has come to a PTU near you.

I get the feeling that AC and SM will go the way of SATANball.

Those features have been tutorial'd.

Nov 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/986302131106975749

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
The major place Frontier has failed with Elite has been the design of their background sim and player's interaction with it being minimal. It's not like player activity can really drive say the development of a new colony. You and friends start mining in an uninhabited system. If a threshold is reached a "Seeking Minerals" trader shows up in system. Then if another threshold is reached by selling minerals to that guy a planetary settlement appears you can land at and trade and as you bring in materials and trade goods it helps build up and expand the colony. The type of mechanics you'd need to do this actually has been added with the station rebuilding mechanics to repair stations after thargoid attacks. And then you get the fact those pesky goids always attack during downtime. There aren't galaxy wide broadcasts like "Eagle Eye has detected thargoids heading for Parrp Station in HIP 12345." Then for the next hour the station goes under attack and players can jump in and try to repel the invasion, protect evacuation ships, etc.. Nope, all happens on galnet in the game. The social-economic-political aspects of the game have been a disaster with crap tacked as added layers instead of an integrated design. And god forbid players not play they way the envisioned...nope, got to roll that poo poo back...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

The major place Frontier has failed with Elite has been the design of their background sim and player's interaction with it being minimal. It's not like player activity can really drive say the development of a new colony. You and friends start mining in an uninhabited system. If a threshold is reached a "Seeking Minerals" trader shows up in system. Then if another threshold is reached by selling minerals to that guy a planetary settlement appears you can land at and trade and as you bring in materials and trade goods it helps build up and expand the colony. The type of mechanics you'd need to do this actually has been added with the station rebuilding mechanics to repair stations after thargoid attacks. And then you get the fact those pesky goids always attack during downtime. There aren't galaxy wide broadcasts like "Eagle Eye has detected thargoids heading for Parrp Station in HIP 12345." Then for the next hour the station goes under attack and players can jump in and try to repel the invasion, protect evacuation ships, etc.. Nope, all happens on galnet in the game. The social-economic-political aspects of the game have been a disaster with crap tacked as added layers instead of an integrated design. And god forbid players not play they way the envisioned...nope, got to roll that poo poo back...

Did you mean to post in this thread? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741690&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=854

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

:ssh: you probably meant https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851346

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Someone give me the latest legal updates please :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Golden Archers

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Yeah, more or less from the beginning and was skeptical about how good the game would be even back during kickstarter.

Basically when it was announced, i took a look, was like, ok, interesting, new space games are always welcome. Watched a few demos, thought ambitious. And while i thought the earlier CR games were ok, i was never a fanboy.

Then ED was also announced, and watched the early Braben videos and thought to myself, gods, Braben couldn't sell a man dying of thirst a drink. But, at least his pitch was more reasonable. I'd been waiting for Elite 4 for a loooong time, always been an Elite fan and had resigned myself to playing Pioneer to relive the Elite experience.

When CIG released the (in)-famous helmet flip demo and the crowd went wild with that, my thoughts were: they are making a game for mentally retarded people. I was like, hells guys, its just a animation, get a loving life. It was at that point there was no way i was going to give CIG a single penny until they released a fully working game that looked decent to play. So far, that seems like a long way off.

Anyway, ED went into beta, and a friend had bought it and was telling me to get it, so i decided to give it a look, became a beta backer, and when the LEP went on offer a year later, bought it with no regrets. ED has been a solid investment for me. It gets a lot of criticism, some of it even justified, but doesn't matter, i still enjoy the game 2600 hours later. Not often a game holds my attention like that.

I kind for forgot about SC for a while, but then the Derek Smart thing kicked off, and later other sources also picked up on some things, so i started looking at the SC subreddit and the SC thread on the FD forums, and i was horrified with how things were going. Insanely increased scope, a demented fanbase (not all, there are sane backers as well, but for every sane backer there is a crazy one). I started reading the FD SC thread, the SC sub, and the refund sub. In short, i became a vocal skeptic (as opposed to earlier being a quiet skeptic).

Much later, just a few months ago, i started reading this thread, and found it to be highly entertaining. So lurked. Then just yesterday, found i couldn't read the forums any more, so decided to pay lowtax's tax. And if i'm paying, i might as well comment.

A week or so ago i requested a year ban from the SC sub forum. I've spent too much time on that sub, arguing with cultists (blocking loads because they didn't want to debate, they just went direct to insults), and trying to get the more moderate fans to manage their expectations. But too many believe the gospel of Chris, and still believe that everything CIG have promised will come true, which to my mind is an impossible task, especially since if everything was implemented as described, it would be a horrible gameplay experience.

Overall, i'm doubtful CIG will be able to keep funding going until release, which has to be years away before they have something they can call a beta. On the other hand, they keep sucking people in who throw money at the game, and there are also whales who keep putting money in. Its basically now a waiting game (while getting some lulz out of the development) to see what happens first, some sort of release or the funding drying up.

I do believe CIG have told many porkies, but i'm not sure its malicious. I think CR lives in some sort of reality warping bubble that affects those around him and those who listen to him. He really wants to make this game and believes he can do it, and that it will be good.

Do I believe CIG might release a game? Maybe.

Do I think that game will be any good? Not sure at all. Some of the mechanics they have implemented have been a bit pants, and some of the planned mechanics make FD's design decisions look sane. There might be a good game there in the end though.

Will I play it? Maybe. If its half decent. If only to target people flying big immersion chariots for a laugh.

Will it replace ED? Not a chance in hell. If i become bored of ED, i've got plenty of other games waiting to take over the title of main game for me. Plus there are other space games on the horizon which look pretty good.

Nice meltdown friend.

And welcome!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Mr Fronts posted:

Welcome! Grab a seat, slip a cargo crate onto your right leg, and make yourself at home.

Then clip through the floor, distort your human frame into a horrific bendy thing, and squirt those nipple jets.

ah i just love this thread sometimes

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Virtual Captain posted:

Well yeah, the idea that it really did take them 2 days because they haven't made any improvements is actually funnier to me, so I'm fine with this.

Star Citizer: (also broken atm) :laugh:

citizens also not dissimilar to a broken atm

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Virtual Captain posted:

I'm stream-watching Calling all devs and then without stopping we will move into ARGcast Episode 4 with Bootcha, Beet Wagon, Dapper Don, and myself.

https://www.twitch.tv/virtual_captain

Yes, some of my photoshops made it into the stream.

I am legend

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Thanks to the extended Free Weekend, the servers were bum-rushed by hundreds of players. Which meant everyone was inundated with a never-ending display of 30000 crash prowess! Not to mention, the most optimized 15fps dogfights this universe has ever laid eyes upon!

One can only imagine what would happen when the servers host thousands of players like an MMO should? Would the engine implode on itself, and cause the Singularity?

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 18, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i saw someone got probated for posting anime in this thread

gently caress you beet wagon...also thanks for gifting me that game that one time

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And when there's no more room in hell, the probated shall walk the earth

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im kidding beet wagon im sorry we fought

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Someone give me the latest legal updates please :)

The two parties argued in front of the magistrate, who dismissed CIG's motion to limit discovery because technically they don't have to respond to discovery till a schedule has been set by the court. Early discovery(what Crytek is pushing for) is "highly recommended but not required".

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

eonwe posted:

im kidding beet wagon im sorry we fought

Crobear probate this spinning pink elephant Beets!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anime is a gateway drug.

Just say no.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

CrazyTolradi posted:

Anime is a gateway drug.

Just say no.

Just say Īe

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Just day tane.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

The two parties argued in front of the magistrate, who dismissed CIG's motion to limit discovery because technically they don't have to respond to discovery till a schedule has been set by the court. Early discovery(what Crytek is pushing for) is "highly recommended but not required".

:tipshat: live and drink, friend

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Anime is a gateway drug.

Just say no.
What about Tokusatsu?
https://i.imgur.com/rRuhnQL.gifv

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Look, you start down that path thinking "Yeah it's just this, I'll be fine" then the next thing you know your Twitter handle is Dave_aka_SailorMoon and your walls are covered with posters that could get you arrested in some countries.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Oh there's ways of dealing with that!
https://i.imgur.com/7ObT2OL.gifv

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Oh there's ways of dealing with that!
https://i.imgur.com/7ObT2OL.gifv

:krad:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

In bland space court action -

quote:

ORDER ON SUBMITTED MATTER by Magistrate Judge Frederick F. Mumm: denying30 Motion for protective Order controlling timing and scope of discovery pending resolution of motion to dismiss: On April 17, 2018, the Court announced a tentative ruling to deny the motion and then entertained oral argument. At the conclusion of the argument, the Court took the matter under submission. Upon further review, the Court notes that Judge Gee issued an Initial Standing Order on December 13, 2017. Paragraph 4.b. of that order addresses discovery before and after the scheduling conference. Specifically, the order provides that "it is advisable for counsel to begin to conduct discovery actively before the Scheduling Conference." Although early discovery is strongly encouraged, Judge Gee's policy is not to require the parties to participate in discovery until a scheduling order has issued. As no scheduling order has been issued in this case as of now, defendants are not required to respond to discovery at this time. The motion for stay, therefore, is moot and denied on that basis. IT IS SO ORDERED.

Sandiworm is not a joke! :sandance:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Eonwe is the hero this thread needs :patriot:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MINUTES OF DEFENDANTS' MOTION FOR PROTECTIVE ORDER
http://docdro.id/vAoGioC

ORDER ON SUBMITTED MATTER
http://docdro.id/tx3rLrT

Zzzz

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Civil lawsuits are drawn out, dull and grindy, more at 11.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Daztek posted:

MINUTES OF DEFENDANTS' MOTION FOR PROTECTIVE ORDER
http://docdro.id/vAoGioC

ORDER ON SUBMITTED MATTER
http://docdro.id/tx3rLrT

Zzzz

So... they (both parties?) are advised to start active discovery, but defendents (CIG) are not required to respond to discovery until the scheduling order is issued (which is when?) so the request to deny (from CIG) is denied because its irrelevant anyway?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Agony Aunt posted:

So... they (both parties?) are advised to start active discovery, but defendents (CIG) are not required to respond to discovery until the scheduling order is issued (which is when?) so the request to deny (from CIG) is denied because its irrelevant anyway?

Pretty much yeah afaik, the protective order was a big waste of time for everyone :v:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Daztek posted:

Pretty much yeah afaik, the protective order was a big waste of time for everyone :v:
Much like Star Citizen's development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Daztek posted:

So when's the next big date when nothing happens?