Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Lemon almond biscotti from a KAF recipe. I'm shocked at how easy biscotti are. Will probably make these again, substituting other extracts for the almond. Will probably also add some chopped nuts next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

A coworker put this recipe on my desk so I did what must be done. Hopefully they're okay with almonds rather than walnuts, because I forgot to get walnuts at the store but already had almonds (I like them better in cookies anyway).

Overall I'm happy with how this recipe turned out and might go with this one over the ATK recipe in the future; they're pretty much the same thing but with easy ratios instead of ATK's insistence on using fractional amounts of everything.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
You should brown your butter. It makes better cookies.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Croatoan posted:

You should brown your butter. It makes better cookies.

Eh I know :effort:

Meanwhile, the office every-month-or-so collective birthday celebration is tomorrow, and I have made Ruby Tandoh's buttermilk lemon black pepper cake, Sheet Cake Edition!

The actual recipe calls for two round cakes with the lemon curd sandwiched in between, but round/tall cakes are not generally well received at these parties in my experience so I just made a single sheet cake and I'll take the curd separate if anyone wants to try it. The cake gets drizzled with lemon syrup so it absolutely does not need frosting or anything, really. Just awesomely face-meltingly lemony with a little pepper to brighten it up.

Included in the celebrations this month is my own birthday, which was Monday! My mom (she of the Pusheen cookies upthread) made me a fruit custard tart:

I got a $50 Amazon gift card and have NO IDEA which of the dozen or so cookbooks on my list I'm going to get. Or maybe a new cookie scoop, since mine bit the dust from overuse a few weeks ago.

(Those are my chucks and my grandma's snoopy slippers that I just noticed I failed to crop out.)

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 25, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Still using up my packet of lavender. I have these down pretty well now, I don't even really have to think about the recipe which is kind of exciting after three tries. Shaping them while they're in log form is fun.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’ve been sick the last 4 days and all I wanna do is bake

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
It's been a long time since I had a serious baking failure so my time had come.

I tried the foodwishes soft pretzel recipe which uses store bought pizza dough and should come together quick and easy in like half an hour.
No.
Everything went wrong that could possibly go wrong, boiling them in the alkaline solution was a huge foamy mess, and even making half of them cinnamon-sugar coated as insurance against failure was not enough.

They had such an intense PRETZEL chemical taste I nearly spit out my first bite. I left them for my housemates.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Soft & Chewy Oatmeal Scotchies

Orange Almond Crumble Coffee Cake (This, in particular, was a massive hit.)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
What are my best options for a vegan butter substitution? I'm making cookies for a crowd, and some dietary restrictions apply.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What are my best options for a vegan butter substitution? I'm making cookies for a crowd, and some dietary restrictions apply.

Vegan margarine is usually your best bet, but depending on end textures you can also use bananas, apple sauce, baking powder+water, or extra oil.
I often end up helping with the xmas baking for my vegan sister and the margarine is best overall, but for example the banana can work in oatmeal cookies even better. Whatever kind of cookie you're making, google for a vegan version and see what they used as your guide.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Butter-flavored Crisco, probably.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I know my grandma and my vegan uncle use coconut oil. I'm not sure if they just use a straight 1:1 substitution ratio but the baked stuff I've had from them has been perfectly fine.

Mr_Roke fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 3, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

So it’s getting to be that time of year where I cannot leave butter to soften over the work day without it getting melty. How long do goons take to soften their butter?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If they are going to be fresh out of the oven, applesauce works fine. Using applesauce though will make them go stale really fast so keep that in mind. Coconut oil would probably be a perfect substitution, but I've never tried that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Peanut Butter Blondie. Absolutely delicious. I should have sprinkled some Reese's Pieces on top for a little more visual appeal though.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah, I’ve made those a couple times to great resound. Although they each came out a bit dry but I think I just need to reduce the time, or increase the PB.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Got a buddy in a band coming into town, asked what he wanted for his batch and he threw me for a loop: espresso-something. Any recipes for a delicious cookie w/ espresso flavor?

"oooo you ever mess with like toffee cookies or poo poo with espresso??"

Toffee suggestions are open as well but I have no experience with toffee nor know what it is!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Toffee bits = Heath pieces if you've got them in your local supermarket. Could do something like this but substitute in toffee bits instead of chocolate chips, or do a mix of both? https://cookienameddesire.com/coffee-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Also it's not cookies but close: I stress-baked lemon cupcakes with whipped vanilla buttercream.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Coffee+Toffee is pretty much a winning combo whatever you do.

Cappuccino Crinkles are a good choice if you want something very chocolaty. Don't have a particular favorite recipe for these but I have made these before: https://www.bhg.com/recipe/cookies/cappuccino-crinkles/

I liked these Espresso Chocolate Shortbread cookies: https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/12/espresso-chocolate-shortbread-cookies/

I was actually thinking about trying to making some kind of pecan + toffee cookie tonight to see how that would go.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I'm not vegan, but I'm going to a potlucky brunch thing where vegans will be present, so I made vegan almond poppyseed and cinnamon sugar scones!

quote:

Sex Hobbit's Scone Recipe with Vegan Substitutions

DRY STUFF
2 cups flour (you can mix and match here, I use either all AP or half wheat and half AP)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter / 4 tablespoons butter-flavored Crisco
2 tablespoons poppyseeds, if that's what you're doing

WET STUFF
1 egg / 1 egg's worth of egg substitute (I used Ener-G Egg Replacer from the local co-op)
2/3 cup buttermilk / 2/3 cup soy milk + 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons of vanilla or almond extract

Preheat oven to 425F

Make all the Wet Stuff and let it set for five minutes or so if you're doing the vegan subs, then mix it all together and set it aside.

Mix all the Dry Stuff except the butter/crisco together in a big bowl. Either cut up the butter/crisco into small pieces and mush it all together with your hands or pastry cutter until it looks like breadcrumbs, or do it in a food processor.

Make an indentation in your Dry Stuff and pour the Wet Stuff in. Mix it with a fork until you have a dough that sticks to itself and not the bowl. You might have to add a bit more flour. It shouldn't be TOO dry though. It should definitely stick to your hands a bit.

Put some parchment on your baking sheet, flour that up, and plomp the dough down on it. Press it into a circle about 1.5" thick and cut that circle into eight wedges. Separate the wedges; if you leave them all together they'll merge. Press some demerara sugar (for the almond poppyseed ones) or cinnamon sugar (for the cinnamon vanilla ones) onto the top of each wedge. Be careful not to mush them around too much; the more you work the dough the less it will rise.

Bake for 14-16 minutes. Depending on your oven you might want to check them at 13 and decide from there how much longer they need.

Transfer to a wire rack for cooling and use a food brush to get that excess flour off the underside.

This is a super adaptable recipe; if you want to put chocolate chips or craisins or something in them about 2/3 cup is the ideal amount. Put them in with the dry stuff, you'll never get them all incorporated if you try to add them after the buttermilk and egg.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 11, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Coffee+Toffee is pretty much a winning combo whatever you do.

Cappuccino Crinkles are a good choice if you want something very chocolaty. Don't have a particular favorite recipe for these but I have made these before: https://www.bhg.com/recipe/cookies/cappuccino-crinkles/

I liked these Espresso Chocolate Shortbread cookies: https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/12/espresso-chocolate-shortbread-cookies/

I was actually thinking about trying to making some kind of pecan + toffee cookie tonight to see how that would go.

Thanks! I don’t really drink coffee so I don’t have any instant stuff on hand. What should I grab or avoid? Wanna try one of these recipes today!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Boywhiz88 posted:

Thanks! I don’t really drink coffee so I don’t have any instant stuff on hand. What should I grab or avoid? Wanna try one of these recipes today!

After some research last time I baked with coffee, most of my trusted sources say to use whatever instant coffee crystals you can find. I was happy enough with the results, but I complained about the lack of really assertive coffee flavor to a patissiere friend and she said that she uses Cafe Bustelo. It worked much better than the instant crystals, and there was no grit in the delicate texture. You can also brew coffee (but make it very strong) and use that in place of water in recipes that call for extra water, like some pies.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I ended up going w Medaglia D’Oro.

Does anyone have recipes for cookies w candy? Preferably a non-chocolate candy. I’m not sure where to start!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Dark Indulgent Walnut Brownies from Mary Berry's Baking Bible. Moderate effort as brownies go, but pretty drat good.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I've been having a nonstop baking urge, like I'm baking literally every day. Here are some of my recent successes:

Red wine chocolate cake (from a recipe a goon recommended in some GWS thread) with a chocolate collar and chocolate dipped strawberries:

Toasted coconut meringue cheesecake - I had a bunch of coconut cookies that tasted good but were getting stale, so I turned them into a cheesecake crust and sorta went from there:

Gluten free rhubarb pie - this is a totally adequate pie, I'm just proud of achieving this crust lattice with gluten free crust:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

It’s my 30th birthday and I put together a show w some local bands I love. I’m selling cookies and all proceeds go to an AIDS foundation and a fund for artists affected by a fire that happened a couple weeks back. I got distracted so I didn’t do everything I wanted but I have 2 batches of chocolate chip, 2 batches of Snickerdoodles, a batch of oatmeal raisin, and a batch of M&M cookies. I’m hoping to squeeze in a double batch of my lemon bars as well.

I love baking.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What kind of cookie goes well with cheese and wine?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

For white wine I'd make a shortbread and flavor it with something mild - lemon extract or lavender or something like that. For red I'd make something with flavors that are in the wine, like cherries, berries, chocolate, currants, etc. If you go the chocolate route aim for dark chocolate and a not very sweet cookie. I'd still probably make shortbread, lol, but I just really love shortbread.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Seconding shortbread! It's rich and not too sweet, with the added bonus it's crazy easy to make in any shape and flavors you want to mix in.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Wake up, thread!

Apple and Cinnamon Cake from Mary Berry's Baking Bible. I have the hardest time keeping this thing from sinking in the middle. I think the next time I make this I might dehydrate the grated apple in the oven a bit.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

As a follow-up to Sex Hobbitt’s post, what are people’s favorite recipe sites or books? I just picked up a Wilton cake decorating book for a few bucks at a used book store. Looks to be really informative.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Boywhiz88 posted:

As a follow-up to Sex Hobbitt’s post, what are people’s favorite recipe sites or books?

Joy Of Baking (dot com), every standard recipe one could ever need.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis
I made the 'dutch kleiner' recipe from ATK's "The Perfect Cookie" book. First attempts at actual twists were dismal so I made little pillows instead.

And then turned one into chocolate chip ravioli.

A+ recipe.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Haven't made macarons in over a year, but I found almond meal at the store for less than $5/lb and got inspired. Another apartment, another oven to get used to.... I took these out after 15 mins and they were already getting too dark, usually they need 20. On the plus side, I've been less precious with the batter, which seems to have helped a lot with hollows/cracks/feet formation. (The actual color is between these two photos, my lighting is all over the place)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Gorgeous. Big pat on the back

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Wow, seriously, those look beautiful.

Hey, does anyone have a favorite lemon bar recipe?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Wow, seriously, those look beautiful.

Hey, does anyone have a favorite lemon bar recipe?

I really like this one, from here

Andrea's Lemon Bars
For Lemon Bar Crust:

1 pound unsalted butter
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon zest
Prepare baking pan by lightly buttering it. I use a 8-by-13 Pyrex dish.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To make the crust, combine all the ingredients into the bowl of your standing mixer. Combine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and begins to hold together. Remove dough from mixer and spread with your hands evenly into pan. Press the crust down and along sides of pan. Bake the crust for about 15-18 minutes or until LIGHTLY golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before adding lemon filling.

For Lemon Bar filling

4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Zest of 2 lemons
Powdered sugar to dust on cooled bars
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. To prepare the lemon bar filling, begin with a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until combined well. Stir in the lemon juice and flour. Whisk until everything looks incorporated and smooth. Pour the lemon mixture over cooled shortbread.
Bake your delights in the middle of oven until set, about 30 minutes. Cool completely in pan and cut into bars. I like mine in triangles. Lemon bars will keep, covered and chilled, 3 days. Sift powdered sugar over bars before serving.

edit: This should go without saying, but under no circumstances should you use bottled lemon juice for these. Fresh lemon only.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 3, 2018

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I like the Smitten Kitchen lemon bars (which I think is based on an Ina Garten one). They're nice and tart. There's two versions, with a thick lemon layer and a thinner one. Make the thick, obviously.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

edit: This should go without saying, but under no circumstances should you use bottled lemon juice for these. Fresh lemon only.

Bottles zest should be fine though, right?

Thanks to both your recommendations. Gonna have to have a head to head face off some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I don't know how dumb an idea this is, but I figure I can make macaroons using Mexican hot chocolate since it already has a lot of sugar along with vanilla and cinnamon and a nice nutty flavor.

I still want to do something that has orange and another flavor marbled together.