Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mister Bibbs thinks interviews are way harder than they actually are because of his crippling inability to understand or relate to human emotions. So he assumes the reason he gets rejected is a failure to adequately explain his skills rather than his weird lizard stare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sanguinia posted:

So I checked out a guy named I Hate Everything, and was enjoying his content until I watched his review of the Emoji movie where he went on a rant about "forced feminist messages," and how they offend "certain people," and are catering to "social justice warriors." The reason I subbed to him was his review of The Last Jedi where he called people who made rants against the movie on this line complete idiots. What the gently caress?

That's a thing the Emoji Movie actually tried to do though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

This has something that has always been on my mind when it came to internet critics. If you decided to do this as a full-time job, you'd have to figure somewhere down the line you'd stop doing it (willingly or not) down the line. That's a rather big gap to put on your resume.

Like, generously, there's some way you can explain what you did in terms of work experience, but I imagine it would be awkward to have had an online presence of "I used other people's work to basically MST3K it on the internet for a decade" for a potential employer.

'As a self-made Entrepreneur I wrote, acted, shot and edited media entertainment for an audience of hundreds of thousands' with added bonuses if you're big such as 'I managed employees'.

I mean, in an age where 'influencer' is an actual profession it's not that out there anymore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

MiddleOne posted:

'As a self-made Entrepreneur I wrote, acted, shot and edited media entertainment for an audience of hundreds of thousands' with added bonuses if you're big such as 'I managed employees'.

I mean, in an age where 'influencer' is an actual profession it's not that out there anymore.

Pretty much the only stumbling block to Doug landing on his feet after all this is whether he can spin a good answer to any inevitable questions that'll come up about Mike Michaud. But honestly, obsessing over anyone from CA's future career prospects is weird and creepy and tabloidy to the max.

Seriously, why the hell do you people let Bibbs lead you down these dumb garden paths? I just fuking can't :confused:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, I didn't actually read the username. :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Wow, looking at the related vids, 20/20 covered that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0MyoyRd44s

It reminds me; back when Channel Awesome was really gaining traction, I thought there'd be some day in the future where'd someone would do a documentary about it.

I'm sure there's still probably going to be a documentary about it, but most definitely not the more upbeat one I originally envisioned. :sigh:

nine-gear crow posted:

Pretty much the only stumbling block to Doug landing on his feet after all this is whether he can spin a good answer to any inevitable questions that'll come up about Mike Michaud. But honestly, obsessing over anyone from CA's future career prospects is weird and creepy and tabloidy to the max.

Part of me wonder if it was Michaud's decision to axe Demo Reel and make Doug return to being the Nostalgia Critic. I'm guessing most of the decisions fall on Doug's shoulders, but him abandoning the character I thought was an interesting move. I've always been under the impression that a lot of the popular internet critics were resentful of the popularity their personas gained (notably James Rolfe with the AVGN and Mike Stoklasa with Plinkett).

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously, why the hell do you people let Bibbs lead you down these dumb garden paths? I just fuking can't :confused:
Because Bibs' greatest talent is to take a topic that should be subjective, and then be contrarian or adamantly opposed on it and any defense to the point that it baffles everyone.

I can't tell if he's stubborn, trolling, or if he's trying to attempt some weird style of gaslight people by being so relentless with his positions that you just give up trying to argue and just accept it. "If I keep telling people that nobody wants vanilla WOW servers, eventually they'll just accept it out of desperation for me to stop!"

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 18, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like joseph anderson because he was the only person who was right on inside, breath of the wild, and darkest dungeon and i felt like i was on crazy pills since everyone else was gushing about them.

i never knew how bad dsp hosed himself until i watched the down the rabbit hole about him. i just knew him as the dude that was bad at video games and then jerked off on cam by accident. he had the road to easy street despite being incredibly lazy and bad and just continually hosed up in hilarious and easily avoidable ways:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So7wLuuDiHA

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

"I also uploaded a video of myself dramatically quitting my job, acting obnoxious, and being chased out by security. Sure to be a true asset to your company if I don't decide to ride a trending gravy train again."

When I first saw that video years ago, the first thing that occurred to me is that he's made it potentially hard for himself to get another job after his internet fame wanes. Even if he stays in the industry, he's got that and now other baggage tied to his name, and it's readily available to any employer with a Google search.
I don't think it's that weird to wonder if that video is going to bite Doug in the arse. But he's the only internet personality that I ever considered the post-critic career of, and it's solely because of that video. :shrug:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Most other people who make videos build actual production + editing skills also, in addition to the suite of performance skills they typically end up with by continually growing and challenging themselves. Doug is like the ultimate cautionary tale there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It must be very hard to find a flattering thumbnail for dsp.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Junior Jr. posted:

I cannot be more satisfied seeing how dead Channel Awesome is right now, of course a network full of manchildren who constantly whine and moan about movies, cartoons, and video games while having zero industry experience was never going to be profitable and everyone needs up getting hosed over by some arrogant cunts who clearly need to go into hiding (except Mike Michaud, he should go ahead and kill himself for the greater good).

I have more respect for all the members who spoke up about the gross poo poo behind the scenes (all except Spoony for obvious reasons). Although I still think their youtube and review careers are a complete joke, they were honest and wanted to put a stop to lovely business practices, which I admire.

This was somehow a bigger crash and burn than Rebel Media, and that's kind of surprising. Maybe if we're lucky we'll see Mike's police record for unpaid debts in the aftermath...unless Mike tries to escape that by swallowing some cyanide. As for Rob and Doug, yes they're total loving egotistic assholes who scammed people via IndieGoGo, and were stupid enough for thinking they could make a living out of ranting about kids' movies forever, but I think it's safe to say they doesn't deserve that much blame compared to Mike. Maybe they'll go look for a new job and embarrassingly try to explain to employers what they've been doing for the last 10 years.

Anyway that being said, gently caress Channel Awesome and gently caress the head honchos for loving over everyone else and rightfully getting what they deserved. May it burn in hell.
Welcome back to the thread you insufferable rear end in a top hat.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694476&userid=212257&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
The way you talk about Spoony is super creepy.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

business hammocks posted:

Most other people who make videos build actual production + editing skills also, in addition to the suite of performance skills they typically end up with by continually growing and challenging themselves. Doug is like the ultimate cautionary tale there.

Because he's just "the talent", right? He's a good comedian and impressionist, but comedy isn't hard to find.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, any news on that video CA has promised? I’m sure it’ll fix everything. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tarquinn posted:

So, any news on that video CA has promised? I’m sure it’ll fix everything. :v:

If that rumour that Doug and Rob have also discretely jumped ship are actually true, there's no-one left to make it aside from Michaud himself.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like joseph anderson because he was the only person who was right on

This is generally not a good attitude to take towards criticism

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If that rumour that Doug and Rob have also discretely jumped ship are actually true, there's no-one left to make it aside from Michaud himself.

And here we are, forgetting Larry again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bee posted:

Goddamn, I walked right into that one :cripes:.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

This is generally not a good attitude to take towards criticism

uhhh. he didn't just say "they aren't great".

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I mean I get why universal positive regard is a bad thing, but "this person is the only one who agrees with me ergo he is good" is a rather unhealthy way to look at things regardless.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was that he was right and for the right reasons. if someone dissected last action hero and how it failed i'd enjoy it even though i like the movie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Reddit Neckbeard Stories 3
Walter Fate

:popeye:

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

To be fair, even Doug has talents he can use in other jobs. I know he did improv for like a minute, and there was that PBS commercial from like ten years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUhTevBnqbE

If the guy gets a decent agent, he can have a steady career.

Holy poo poo, I remember this commercial. No idea how I never realized it was Doug.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lmao goddamn.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I like Anderson a lot. I think he appeals to people like him, with a compulsion towards completionism, and it's beneficial to have that kind of view represented, even if it's not common or the way certain games are "meant" to be played.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Puppy Time posted:

I like Anderson a lot. I think he appeals to people like him, with a compulsion towards completionism, and it's beneficial to have that kind of view represented, even if it's not common or the way certain games are "meant" to be played.

I think that people often misrepresent why he focuses on "completionist" aspects of games. He's clarified in Q&As that left to his own devices, he is not personally a completionist. But, he feels compelled to play games that way as a reviewer, so he can't be gotcha'd by people saying "well you just didn't see [this part of the game that is good]." He also tends to drift towards analyzing games as consumer products more so than games as art, which is most apparent in his Hollow Knight video where he outright prefaces it with "I'm going to suggest ways the game could've been longer to improve pacing and smooth out progression, but as it is already it's a 10/10 game."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Yeah, like most people actually develop their craft.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Bee posted:

Hell-o, I’m the Nostalgia Guru...

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

For those who caught Foldable and Hbomb's stream: What were the two youtubers Hbomb recommended? I know one was German and called "Mark" or something.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, like most people actually develop their craft.

The big difference between James Rolfe’s interminable juvenile skits and Doug’s is that Rolfe was having fun trying out different techniques that he liked or was curious about, like doing his own Raimi ram-o-cam, while Doug attempted nothing other than padding.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

Hell-o you, I’m the Nostalgia Guru...

Fixed that for you.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Kunster posted:

For those who caught Foldable and Hbomb's stream: What were the two youtubers Hbomb recommended? I know one was German and called "Mark" or something.
I think Mark Kermode, was one, though he's not German. The German one was probably Three Arrows.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Kunster posted:

Yeah I rec'd Three Arrows and Malmrose Projects!

Mark Kermode is a british film critic and national treasure. He's my fave film critic, even when I disagree. His review and followup of Revolver is brilliant, it's on youtube somewhere. During his review of Sex and the City 2 he started singing the internationale. Probably one of the best reviews ever is when he did pirates 3. It's a back and forth with Simon Mayo, and eventually Kermode is on such a long rant that it cuts to Mayo's camera and he's literally gone, just got up and left. I love him

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Meanwhile, in news of older creators who actually move with the times, AVGN joins an ever-growing list of creators who are releasing on Amazon Prime Video before YouTube with the first episode of his new season (it's Earthbound, and at 39 mins it's one of his longest in ages):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7OcFBjNgc

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Your Perception of the WW2 Eastern Front is Wrong
TIK

A lot of interesting videos covering WW2 history, myths, legends and propaganda.

A more recent video I really enjoyed, Soviet "War-Winning" Tanks in 1941? The Role of Tanks on the Eastern Front WW2.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
?! When did Prime start doing upload content like this? I guess I'm really out of the loop

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kim Justice posted:

Meanwhile, in news of older creators who actually move with the times, AVGN joins an ever-growing list of creators who are releasing on Amazon Prime Video before YouTube with the first episode of his new season (it's Earthbound, and at 39 mins it's one of his longest in ages):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7OcFBjNgc

i assume this video will be him bitching about how badly nintendo mishandled this game in the west. earthbound deserved so much fuckin better.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

There goes Moviebob again, classifying an entire group of people as subhuman because he doesn't see eye-to-eye with them.

Also he deleted this tweet because he realised it was a bad look.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 18, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JordanKai posted:

There goes Moviebob again, classifying an entire group of people as subhuman because he doesn't see eye-to-eye with them.

Also he deleted this tweet because I realised it was a bad look.

I tried to get him to engage with me this morning but sadly he didn't bite.

I instead got into a discussion of Zinnia Jones and her recent Twitter drama, which was fascinating but not as relevant to this thread, sadly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does movie bob believe he is not part of the working class? That might be more delusional than thinking he would escape the ovens if all people with a low IQ were liquidated by a benevolent dictator technocrat, as he believes must happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JordanKai posted:

Also he deleted this tweet because he realised it was a bad look.

Wow, Shaun telling someone to shut up. That's rather extreme for him.

I mean, even reading out Roosh V quotes and literally watching Neo nazis promote hate speech didn't make Shaun tell anyone to shut up. But Bob somehow did it.