Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Aesop Poprock posted:

In terms of ring presence, facial expressions and psychology Dean is pretty good but he's like a Miz tier wrestler when it comes to in ring ability and easily the weakest of the three. Seth is the top and better than his Tyler Black days when it comes to throwing everything at the wall but he's still a little too extra at times

I know a lot of people don't like Dean's weird flailing offense and that's fair but lmao my dude Roman Reigns still only has two to four moves and isn't even good at doing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Walrus Pete posted:

I know a lot of people don't like Dean's weird flailing offense and that's fair but lmao my dude Roman Reigns still only has two to four moves and isn't even good at doing them.

Yet people act like he's the spawn of Angle and HBK in this thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Randaconda posted:

Yet people act like he's the spawn of Angle and HBK in this thread.

Yeah if PSP is infamous for anything it's everyone loving Roman Reigns.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You'll find that Dean and Roman are in the same class of "having a lot of moves" and doing them well. they both do a few things and do them fine except for one thing that looks like poo poo

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
this actually is apropos of nothing; i was curious who popularized the irish whip, and if it was their finisher in some possible way, and i just read about a guy who had a disaster of a push that overshadows vince's manic roman push.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danno_O%27Mahony

quote:

Title reign and drop in popularity

On 11 October, O'Mahony defeated the only man who held a win over him: Ed "Strangler" Lewis. Word of their London bout had appeared in the Boston newspapers by this time. However, O'Mahony's title reign was turning into less than the roaring success promoter Bowser had hoped for, with the young champion being booed and attendance for many of his matches slumping. Promoters were also beginning to become disenchanted with the "unified title" arrangement, since that meant only one promoter at a time could book the champion.

Rival promoter Billy Sandow publicly mocked O'Mahony's lack of wrestling ability and offered $5,000 if he would face Sandow's choice, Everett Marshall. To quiet Sandow, Bowser responded by offering a match with two of his other wrestlers: Ed "Strangler" Lewis or Jim Browning, both of whom had feared reputations as "shooters."

On 13 November, O'Mahony wrestled to a draw with Ernie Dusek, his first non-win. He was also having visa problems, and there was speculation about how long he might remain in the country before having to drop the title. Bowser arranged for an angle in which Canadian wrestler Yvon Robert taunted O'Mahony during a match, then rushed the ring after the match to pin and knock out the champion. The staged incident made an instant star of Robert.

Touring the country in early 1936, the underskilled O'Mahony started encountering "doublecrosses" from other promoters. Informed that an opponent planned to "hook" and injure O'Mahony in their match, the champion and his manager simply left the arena. He was stripped of his title in the Texas jurisdiction, and the National Wrestling Association soon did the same.

On 2 March 1936, O'Mahony lost his National Wrestling Association World Heavyweight Championship to Dick Shikat at New York's Madison Square Garden. Shikat used his wrestling ability to genuinely hurt and punish O'Mahony, who tried to quit twice before the finish of the match. Shikat reportedly made the decision on his own, and following the win, immediately put his title up for "sale" to the various promoters. In the aftermath of this, the behind-the-scenes negotiations were exposed in a court case, no fewer than five wrestlers were being billed as champions, and the pseudo-sport's popularity fell.

O'Mahony continued to be recognised as champion by the AWA in Boston, though his own popularity was on the wane and he was planning a return to Ireland. Before one of his matches, the Boston Globe printed a headline reading "Expect Danno to Lose His Crown at Garden Tonight." That prediction proved premature, but only by three weeks. Before the largest Montreal wrestling crowd in a quarter-century (10,000+), O'Mahony lost the belt to Yvon Robert on 16 July 1935.[2] Two days later, O'Mahony set sail for home. He told reporters that he'd been cheated of the title, which allowed him to bill himself as the AWA champion upon his return.

tldr; extremely green guy gets monster push, gets all the belts, gets mocked for being lovely at wrestling, gets a guy mega over just by getting his rear end kicked, and gets caught so hard in a worked shoot that worked himself into a shoot into court exposing the whole business, brother

and his finishing move was the irish whip.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 15, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His Irish Whip wasn't actually into the ropes. It was a pull back then a shoulder throw like judo.

https://gfycat.com/MassiveAdoredEgret

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Aphrodite posted:

His Irish Whip wasn't actually into the ropes. It was a pull back then a shoulder throw like judo.

oh weird.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
So it's called the Irish Whip because he's Irish? Interesting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That actually makes a lot more sense as a name that way. Interesting.

NilkNarf
Apr 24, 2005

...if you're into the blight.
The irish whip discussion has piqued my interest in the early days of pro wrestling. Do you guys have any book recommendations?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I read up on the Irish Whip a while ago out of curiosity of how such an obviously fake move became so prevalent. It started as that judo throw, but then people learned to counter it by running forward. After that point someone figured the counter to the counter was to push them so they'd keep running right into the corner.

Its one of those things people keep doing because that's the way its been done for a while.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

shiksa posted:

this actually is apropos of nothing; i was curious who popularized the irish whip, and if it was their finisher in some possible way, and i just read about a guy who had a disaster of a push that overshadows vince's manic roman push.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danno_O%27Mahony

tldr; extremely green guy gets monster push, gets all the belts, gets mocked for being lovely at wrestling, gets a guy mega over just by getting his rear end kicked, and gets caught so hard in a worked shoot that worked himself into a shoot into court exposing the whole business, brother

and his finishing move was the irish whip.

What is great about this time period is he's probably the third unskilled green dude to be given a world title, get double crossed, shot on and embarrassed.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Aphrodite posted:

Whoa, King can do an Irish whip in Tekken but if you continue the combo the right way, he does that move. That's interesting.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Going back to the question about the worst (non-murderer) wrestlers, I recall reading a story about how the Nasty Boys drat near killed Ken Shamrock back before he was anybody.

Are they up there? Are there any other incidents with them?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Going back to the question about the worst (non-murderer) wrestlers, I recall reading a story about how the Nasty Boys drat near killed Ken Shamrock back before he was anybody.

Are they up there? Are there any other incidents with them?

I'm not sure where you'd put them in such a ranking, but they did drug Art Barr and shave his head when he had a huge payoff coming up for losing his hair in a hair/hair vs mask/mask tag match on PPV coming up.

I believe Barr got extensions or a wig or something to cover up, but it was a dick move (some would contend Barr had it coming since he'd been charged with rape not long before but who knows if the Nasties even knew about it or cared). Flair also told a story about them starting a fight with his Jewish friend at a nightclub and getting Flair thrown out but I don't remember most of it.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 18, 2018

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
gently caress it, we should just go ahead make the brackets for the All-Time Wrestling Pieces of poo poo Tournament already, since this keeps coming up again and again.

To be fair, we could do separate categories, so that unequal crimes aren't just judged together.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shiki Dan posted:

gently caress it, we should just go ahead make the brackets for the All-Time Wrestling Pieces of poo poo Tournament already, since this keeps coming up again and again.

To be fair, we could do separate categories, so that unequal crimes aren't just judged together.

:justpost:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Who is the worst wrestler or wrestling related personality who didnt do anything wrong that is public knowledge, but you wouldnt even jack their dick if they asked?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The topic of worst WM comes up a lot but I have thought about what the worst consecutive WMs are and it is hard not to think that (outside of Shawn vs Taker) 25-29 is a really dire collection of WMs when you take everything into consideration. Nothing gets as bad as 9*, but it's the most "treading water" period I can think of for that long. 9-13 has 10 in the middle, and they at least try to create new stars in Bret and Shawn. 25-29 is the doldrums of the Cena/Orton/Still HHH era as new talent isn't allowed to grow past upper midcard at best, and it infects every part of the company.

I mean that's still kinda true today but at least it's in service of trying to make a wrestling star, as flawed as the plan is

*27 comes close

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
26 is a drat good show, actually.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cavauro posted:

Who is the worst wrestler or wrestling related personality who didnt do anything wrong that is public knowledge, but you wouldnt even jack their dick if they asked?

Has Alex Riley gotten caught doing anything?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nut Bunnies posted:

Nothing gets as bad as 9*

*27 comes close

I read this and thought,"Now hang on a second, I remember 27 starting strong but kind of tapering off at the end. Sure it wasn't GREAT but it was a pretty good show!" so I went and looked it up and holy fuccccccck what the gently caress was I thinking. But then I thought,"Oh wait, I really dug that HHH/Undertaker match and how conflicted Shawn was, especially when he tried to cheat for Triple H and it still wasn't enough!" but then I looked deeper and realized I was thinking of Wrestlemania 28.

So uhhh, yeah, Jesus Christ what the gently caress was Wrestlemania 27 thinking? I guess my brain just formed a false memory to protect me from it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mania 27 is a weirdly bizarre time capsule, in that there was talent on display, much of which is thriving today, but the product was so dire at the time that almost none of them were helped in any way. I think a lot of people forget just how bad WWE was around 2010-12.

Let's just do a quick rundown of the card, in the spirit of my last Mania 30 retrospective (bold is retired/left the company, italics is still in WWE but inactive, you get the drill)

Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan

Not only punted to the pre-show, but somehow got turned into a battle royale that Great Khali won. I'm not listing all the geeks here, but it's notable for having future New Japan utility men like Davey Boy Smith Jr. and Trent Baretta. Also Tyler Reks was there. Do you remember Tyler Reks if you weren't watching at the time?

Edge vs. Alberto Del Rio

Royal Rumble winner Del Rio lost in the opening match to a guy who immediately retired. We all hate Alberto today, but this certainly cut off his momentum at the knees.

Cody Rhodes vs. Rey Mysterio

If they book this match at All In, it will almost certainly draw 10,000 in 2018. In 2011, it was a throwaway cooldown affair. My, how the times have changed.

Big Show, Kane, Kofi Kingston, Santino Marella vs. Ezekiel Jackson, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, Wade Barrett

I can't decide if The Corre or League of Nations was the lamest faction Wade Barrett was ever involved with.

Randy Orton vs. CM Punk

The Pipebomb was still a couple months away, so of course Punk did the job to a stale old guard here. I'm sure that wasn't a factor in what's to come!

Michael Cole vs. Jerry Lawler

A comedy announcers match got 15 loving minutes to set up a Dusty Finish with a laptop. gently caress off.

The Undertaker vs. Triple H

Do people still love this match? I found it an absolute chore to sit through -- all of Hunter's bad "epic match" habits stretched out to an ungodly length. The next year's Hell in a Cell match improved upon it in every way (mostly by adding Shawn Michaels).

John Morrison, Snooki, Trish Stratus vs. Dolph Ziggler, Layla, Michelle McCool

Pop quiz: Name one thing you remember about this match other than Snooki's cheerleader flip into the corner. You might also remember Johnny Mundo bitching about Trish getting the spot over his girlfriend Melina, which led to him eventually leaving the company and marrying ... uh, not Melina. Good luck Taya! This was the second-to-last match on the card, which is also the closest Dolph will ever get to a Mania main event.

The Miz vs. John Cena

I know I have unpopular takes on Miz around these parts (he's not that good ugh I hate saying it because of the constant blowback from Miz diehards), and also the early concussion and booking the match around Cena/Rock did him no favors, but ... this is why Miz has never really reached main-event levels again. Even now that he's a fan favorite and getting pushes, it took a good half-decade to get back there after this lovely, horrible, career-derailing effort at headlining WrestleMania. Easily among the worst Mania main events of all time.

So yeah, this show is really bad, most notable for the people who went on to better things afterwards. There have been bad Manias before, but even in the current 7-hour era I can't remember one this aggressively pointless in recent memory (32 comes close, but the hard reset of the women's division makes it more historically notable than 27, which didn't even have a Divas title match).

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 18, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Why did Tazz become part of the comment team? This is probably due to my faulty memory but I remember exactly one thing he did as a wrestler in WWE and that was destroy Kurt Angle. Yet their careers went in, uh, very opposite directions.

Wasn't Tazz a big deal in ECW? If he could go and wrestle, it's odd he joined the comment team so quickly. Or maybe it wasn't that quickly. As I said, I just remember more commenting than wrestling from him.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What are Tyler Breeze's best NXT matches?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

NikkolasKing posted:

Why did Tazz become part of the comment team? This is probably due to my faulty memory but I remember exactly one thing he did as a wrestler in WWE and that was destroy Kurt Angle. Yet their careers went in, uh, very opposite directions.

Wasn't Tazz a big deal in ECW? If he could go and wrestle, it's odd he joined the comment team so quickly. Or maybe it wasn't that quickly. As I said, I just remember more commenting than wrestling from him.

Tazz posted:

I had about 11or 12 years experience in wrestling before I got to WWE, and I had injuries. I felt burnt out in a way, and my neck was also a factor. It's still not 100 percent. So when certain opportunities arose, I had to think about the future. My neck wasn't going to get any better and I had to think about my son. My son was a baby at the time, and I thought to myself, "When he's 10, will I be able to throw a baseball with him?"

When I was given the opportunity for a color commentator role, I felt like, "Man, this is a good opportunity." And then I started to work with Michael Cole on SmackDown, and even though I didn't know him well back then, he took me under his wing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

NikkolasKing posted:

Tazz was a huge deal in ECW, and his debut against Kurt Angle was a godly pop. McMahon, being the petty man he is, had Tazz go into a match against then-time WWE Champion Triple H while Tazz temporarily held the ECW Title (And brought it onto TV the week and a half he had it), in a five minute match with shenanigans in the last minute (Ref bump, Dreamer hitting Tazz with a chair by accident, Pedigree, win)

He went on to feud with Jerry Lawler, which wasn't the worst thing in the world at the time considering how memorable Lawler's Anti-ECW gimmick was.

After that feud, the Invasion era started, and Tazz became effectively part-time, doing commentary and working really short matches, usually as a tag-team because of nagging injuries until he retired full time.

Really, Tazz was only full-time for about 10 months of his roughly three year career, and most of his career he was only doing short matches because he was terrified of loving up his neck.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TTBF posted:

What are Tyler Breeze's best NXT matches?
Breeze vs Sammi Zayn at NXT Takeover 1
Breeze/Neville/Zayn/Tyson Kidd at NXT Takeover: Fatal Four Way
Breeze vs Jushin Thunder Liger at NXT Takeover: Brooklyn 1

He was over but didn't have too many memorable matches, he was basically the "Debut Guy" who just wrestled people coming up or going to the main roster like Tye Dillinger was. He was also in matches at Takeover with Hideo Itami and Apollo Crews

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Tazz also had some prior commentary experience from ECW, working with Joey Styles while healing up from an injury. He did a pretty good job in the booth, and I remember Joey introducing him at one point by saying "My broadcast partner is called Peter Senerca, but you know him better as... Taz"

edit: Also, speaking of Jerry Lawler's anti-ECW stuff, I really didn't like it when they brought back that shtick in 2006. Back in the 90s, Lawler was this obnoxious rear end in a top hat heel so of course he'd bury ECW and everything involving it, but by 2006 he was firmly a face announcer who would make lame jokes and talk about puppies. When he'd go on an anti-ECW tirade, it felt really weird and forced because everyone knew ECW was a WWE brand now, and when he was done ranting about Extremely Crappy Wrestling and bingo halls he'd go right back to his normal face persona.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Apr 18, 2018

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It's interesting how Tazz was an in-ring guy for such a short a time and in limited capacity, but the Tazzmission was widely known as the deadliest shoot submission move of all time in our school yard for a VERY long time. And this was in Finland where we didn't get ECW at all, so Tazz would've been known to us only for the time he was in WWF.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

extradite THIS! posted:

And this was in Finland where we didn't get ECW at all, so Tazz would've been known to us only for the time he was in WWF.
Maybe if you didn't play ECW Hardcore Revolution!

(talk about extremely crappy wrestling :negative:)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

Tazz was a huge deal in ECW, and his debut against Kurt Angle was a godly pop. McMahon, being the petty man he is, had Tazz go into a match against then-time WWE Champion Triple H while Tazz temporarily held the ECW Title (And brought it onto TV the week and a half he had it), in a five minute match with shenanigans in the last minute (Ref bump, Dreamer hitting Tazz with a chair by accident, Pedigree, win)

He went on to feud with Jerry Lawler, which wasn't the worst thing in the world at the time considering how memorable Lawler's Anti-ECW gimmick was.

After that feud, the Invasion era started, and Tazz became effectively part-time, doing commentary and working really short matches, usually as a tag-team because of nagging injuries until he retired full time.

Really, Tazz was only full-time for about 10 months of his roughly three year career, and most of his career he was only doing short matches because he was terrified of loving up his neck.

There's nothing petty about taking advantage of an opponent's unforced error.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

There's nothing petty about taking advantage of an opponent's unforced error.
At least he didn't lose to random midcarder in a champion vs champion match I guess

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Benne posted:

The Undertaker vs. Triple H

Do people still love this match? I found it an absolute chore to sit through -- all of Hunter's bad "epic match" habits stretched out to an ungodly length.

The HHH tombstone spot was great though. Everyone thought that was it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

HHH is very bad at selling submissions and managed to suck all remaining life out of that match in the finish

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Was the main "victory" of Triple H beating Tazz the fact that Tazz had beaten Mike Awesome for the ECW title (was it a squash, I forget?), because Awesome had just been signed by WCW as this "major acquisition" and therefore a message was being sent out to both competitors? I'm just a little bit confused otherwise, because while ECW were technically competition Vince usually seemed little more than apathetic towards them in my eyes. I don't know, I guess I'm just trying to understand the whole thing a little better.

On that note, what are some things in wrestling that just continue to confuse you to this day? Mine is GLAAD's temporary involvement with (and promotion of) the Billy and Chuck angle in 2002. Like, even before the inevitably silly conclusion* where it turns neither man is actually gay after all, the two of them were built up as heels through the classic channel of effeminacy being a big heat magnet, with them inadvertently being "uppity" and rubbing people's faces in their (non-)sexuality to garner more boos. Even as a twelve year-old it struck me as unaccommodating at best and somewhat tasteless at worst.

* except for "DID I JUST HEAR MYSELF SAY... THREE MINUTES?", that was great

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Max Coveri posted:

The HHH tombstone spot was great though. Everyone thought that was it.

Oh yeah that moment was loving great, I felt an instant, pure, unfiltered hatred like I was a kid fan again when I thought that was going to be it. It was great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Was the main "victory" of Triple H beating Tazz the fact that Tazz had beaten Mike Awesome for the ECW title (was it a squash, I forget?), because Awesome had just been signed by WCW as this "major acquisition" and therefore a message was being sent out to both competitors? I'm just a little bit confused otherwise, because while ECW were technically competition Vince usually seemed little more than apathetic towards them in my eyes. I don't know, I guess I'm just trying to understand the whole thing a little better.

On that note, what are some things in wrestling that just continue to confuse you to this day? Mine is GLAAD's temporary involvement with (and promotion of) the Billy and Chuck angle in 2002. Like, even before the inevitably silly conclusion* where it turns neither man is actually gay after all, the two of them were built up as heels through the classic channel of effeminacy being a big heat magnet, with them inadvertently being "uppity" and rubbing people's faces in their (non-)sexuality to garner more boos. Even as a twelve year-old it struck me as unaccommodating at best and somewhat tasteless at worst.

* except for "DID I JUST HEAR MYSELF SAY... THREE MINUTES?", that was great

Yeah you had your champion beat the ECW champion who had just beaten WCW's big new signing. Heyman thought he'd be able to get some buzz out of having Taz show up, ended up getting nothing out of it ratings wise and then Vince took advantage of it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also one of the few things Vince has ever admitted to being mistaken about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IIRC, Lawler really does loathe ECW, partly because of heat with Paul from Paul's time in Memphis. He also hates hardcore wrestling, which is a bit hypocritical, since crazy Memphis brawls were an influence on the hardcore style.