Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah old silverstone before they added a bajillion awful tedious chicanes was pretty boss. since then it has been dreadful.

but hey it's still not as bad as what fuji has become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honestly "New" Fuji at least kind of looks like Fuji. And the layout isn't horrible, it just sucks compared to the old circuit.

Silverstone's problem is that it has none of the atmosphere of the old track. Fuji's atmosphere is at least still there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fuji is the worst track in the world

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The "best" emasculated race track other than Spa is honestly probably the Red Bull Ring. It's not anywhere near as good as the O-Ring was but it tends to produce entertaining racing more often than not.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Fuji is the worst track in the world

Both GPs held there were pretty good!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Super Formula and Super GT races I've watched at Fuji have generally been pretty good. Silverstone though has always been one of if not the worst racetrack in the UK.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
describing a track as "technical" is a slur

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Honestly "New" Fuji at least kind of looks like Fuji. And the layout isn't horrible, it just sucks compared to the old circuit.

new fuji is straight-up the worst race track on the planet. even other truly awful shitheaps like motegi and abu dhabi ain't got fuckin poo poo on how bad fuji is.

even in a vacuum where old fuji never existed, new fuji would still be the worst. it's that bad.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

new fuji is straight-up the worst race track on the planet. even other truly awful shitheaps like motegi and abu dhabi ain't got fuckin poo poo on how bad fuji is.

even in a vacuum where old fuji never existed, new fuji would still be the worst. it's that bad.

DEEP STATE PLOT......hello

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

njsykora posted:

Super Formula and Super GT races I've watched at Fuji have generally been pretty good. Silverstone though has always been one of if not the worst racetrack in the UK.

Super Formula and Super GT can make for entertaining racing even on poo poo circuits. Okayama is usually good despite it being one of the worst road courses in the world.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

Super Formula and Super GT can make for entertaining racing even on poo poo circuits. Okayama is usually good despite it being one of the worst road courses in the world.

TI Circuit Aids.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Autopolis and Sugo are fun circuits. The Motegi road course is the absolute pits and the worst non-parking-lot circuit MotoGP runs.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The "best" emasculated race track other than Spa is honestly probably the Red Bull Ring. It's not anywhere near as good as the O-Ring was but it tends to produce entertaining racing more often than not.

The Red Bull Ring keeps the high speed character of the O-Ring, at least. The O-Ring was fantastic but it must be said it was pretty drat dangerous.

Fuji could be fixed by removing the 11-15 turn complex, which ruins the flow of the track IMO. Check out this video of the psychotic banked turn pre-75 layout;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy9Gsni54D8

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can see an argument for 10-11 at Fuji adding a passing spot but that weird 13-14-15 complex does suck. What's the point of it, stadium seating?

That said remember Massa and Kubica loving around in the third sector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnxUu36-uYw

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Autopolis and Sugo are fun circuits. The Motegi road course is the absolute pits and the worst non-parking-lot circuit MotoGP runs.

Sugo kicks rear end, Autopolis really pushed for an F1 race that never materialized. Would have been better than the Aids circuit. The Motegi complex is incredible because all of these resources were spent by Honda to make a boring oval for a long-defunct series (that no domestic series uses) and a bad road course. Also the oval is apparently unusable now.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I can see an argument for 10-11 at Fuji adding a passing spot but that weird 13-14-15 complex does suck. What's the point of it, stadium seating?

Fuji was very fast prior to it's most modern revision so I assumed it was to slow the cars down.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

13-14-15 is pretty crappy, but I think it's mostly so there's not a straight blast to that final corner before the front straight. But otherwise it's a quite good circuit, and has a lot more elevation change than you'd think.

but Fuji is a really good place to go watch a race, the main stand seating is okay if you like that and the rest is quite accessible. I've been twice for Super GT and it's been fun to walk around the entire infield. as well, that turn 3 is impressive to watch the GT500 cars blast through. I'm going to try and go for WEC this year, and looking forward to having my mind warped by the P1s going through there.

[fake edit]

Frond posted:

Sugo kicks rear end, Autopolis really pushed for an F1 race that never materialized. Would have been better than the Aids circuit. The Motegi complex is incredible because all of these resources were spent by Honda to make a boring oval for a long-defunct series (that no domestic series uses) and a bad road course. Also the oval is apparently unusable now.

the oval was damaged in the March 2011 earthquake, and while it's been repaired (to be used as parking and for demonstration laps) I don't know if it's raceable at all right now.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 17, 2018

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I've always thought Sugo is a loving awesome track and I'm happy to see that other people do too. :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

https://speedsport.com/offroad/other-offroad/dead-end-global-rallycross/

Game over, man, game over :smith:

E: I hope the drivers from GRC move over to World RX

E: https://jalopnik.com/ugly-lawsuit-documents-the-implosion-of-red-bull-global-1825327602 ugh

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 18, 2018

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Olsbergs (who built all the Fiestas and ran the Civics) already have moved to World RX with a pair of the Fiestas.

And both Subaru and Andretti will be in the Americas Rallycross that Feels Villeneuve reminded me of.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Well at least World Champion Scott Speed can still race GRC on iRacin— oh

Well at least Scott Speed still has a boner... this... big

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Scott Speed is World Champion of GRC?? Lmao no wonder it folded!!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wirth1000 posted:

Scott Speed is World Champion of GRC?? Lmao no wonder it folded!!!!

He was also the official ambassador to GRC for iRacing but he got banned for unsportsmanlike conduct lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the Circle K-sponsored VW was badass to be fair to GRC. I think that's the only positive to GRC I can think of

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

All 24 hours of Lemans will be on one channel in the US! But its on Velocity... which you probably dont have even if you pay for regular cable. Its not available on Youtube TV, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, or Hulu Live either, but you can get it on the DirecTV Now streaming pack.

Rest of the WEC races will be live in the first and last hours on Velocity, and the rest on the MotorTrend.com app (lol). Coverage will just be the Eurosport coverage straight piped, no US specific coverage.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/148763-velocity-to-air-le-mans-24-hours-wec-super-season

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

IIRC Fox just used the WEC world feed commentary, didn't they? Or maybe it was just for the non-Le Mans races. Guess I'll stick with buying the WEC app.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

gret posted:

IIRC Fox just used the WEC world feed commentary, didn't they? Or maybe it was just for the non-Le Mans races. Guess I'll stick with buying the WEC app.

I distinctly remember Varsha calling a few races last year.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Looks like I'll be tuning into velocity for the first time ever

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
loving poo poo. I'm hearing that the wec app will be geoblocked in the us and Canada. I hope that doesn't extend to the full streaming and replay service.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

loving poo poo. I'm hearing that the wec app will be geoblocked in the us and Canada. I hope that doesn't extend to the full streaming and replay service.

As far as I can tell it absolutely does and I am really pissed off about it. What an utterly stupid thing for them to do when even F1 has finally realized you need to offer global streaming.

Between the loss of factory teams and this, plus the stupid superseason, WEC reminds me a lot of the ALMS circa 2011-2012.

How long before Creventic or SRO buys it out?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I bought the live/replay service from my PC, we'll see if they retard me out of 47 euros or not.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Looks like DSC was wrong: https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/986947820463755264

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
That's certainly good news.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That's certainly good news.

yikes. definitely - I think the answer here is "yes and," and not "no."

but we have to wait for the WEC's clarification. Could be that live coverage on the app is blocked, but replays after the fact and live timing during the race still available. That would skirt the letter of "geoblocking" but not really the spirit for the WEC.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Now WEC has deleted that tweet.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drgitlin posted:

As far as I can tell it absolutely does and I am really pissed off about it. What an utterly stupid thing for them to do when even F1 has finally realized you need to offer global streaming.

F1 absolutely hasn't realised that, there are gigantic holes in F1's streaming service that correspond with what Fox+Friends would be calling nations of interest.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Schlesische posted:

F1 absolutely hasn't realised that, there are gigantic holes in F1's streaming service that correspond with what Fox+Friends would be calling nations of interest.

Liberty absolutely realizes it, but it's handcuffed by the contracts Bernie signed. As it's able to unwind them, it is. The main reason NBC Sports didn't renew for 2018 was Liberty's insistence that it could offer its own streaming here in the US. The UK contract with Sky doesn't expire for another few years; once it does (assuming Liberty hasn't killed F1 in the meantime) F1 TV Pro will roll out there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Schlesische posted:

What the gently caress? Those holes correspond with places where their contracts prevent them from streaming.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'll believe they're into global streaming after the next round of rights negotiations.
If Fox offers you more than you know you're gonna get in subs for Australia (which is a distinct possibility), you're gonna take that even if it means a lost opportunity to grow your brand here; I mean, hell, F1 has to sell the rights to the AusGP to a free-to-air network here so Fox already has an in by offering to give an FTA network the Aus GP at a super cut rate while giving Fox the remaining races.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I can't imagine that there are all that many paid subscribers for the WEC app in the U.S., so whatever Velocity was able to offer to also be the exclusive streaming provider almost certainly more than covers the loss of any revenue from losing U.S. paid subscribers to the app.