Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
it is more than 2 movies

iirc it was 3 movies

but yes, this series is only 12 episodes which is part of why I am so incredibly sketchy about it. at this pace, it has to be a whistlestop tour of the biggest battles of the galactic heroes, with none of the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The OVA takes 16 episodes to cover book 1, and a couple of those episodes are, if you wouldn’t want to call them filler, significant expansions of what happens in the book (Kastrop rebellion is a few paragraphs’ digression, the one about the jilted mistress isn’t in there at all). I don’t think this series has much chance of getting through the plot in good order, but I don’t think they’re going to have to significantly butcher book 1 to get through that, at least.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

In the OVA Staaden broke formation and died for it, yeah

I thought Staaden was still around in the Imperial Civil War.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I thought Staaden was still around in the Imperial Civil War.

Yeah Staden gets his fleet dumped into a minefield by Mittermeyer and has a breakdown. The guy who bites it right away is his similar looking subordinate Erlach.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I am posting this to remind you that the English translation of Volume 6: Flight is to be released April 17.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh nice, was going to ask if the books were translated. Also is there another streaming service that has this show? I don't want to pay CR to get the latest episode but I don't want to be a week behind :ohdear:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Oh nice, was going to ask if the books were translated. Also is there another streaming service that has this show? I don't want to pay CR to get the latest episode but I don't want to be a week behind :ohdear:

The older OVA is streamable on some also-ran of a service whose name escapes me. The new series I'm pretty sure is Crunchyroll only, though I'd be glad to be corrected.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

The older OVA is streamable on some also-ran of a service whose name escapes me. The new series I'm pretty sure is Crunchyroll only, though I'd be glad to be corrected.

In the US, CR has the streaming license for the new LOGH. The original LOGH is streaming through HiDive.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm cool with hidive but I really wish they had a roku app

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Would their site work with a chrome cast? Or is that not an option for you?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

Would their site work with a chrome cast? Or is that not an option for you?

I think it works with chromecast but I just ditched that. Dealing with an hdmi cable isn't the end of the world for me, I'm just lazy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

No I'm right there with you, it's the weirdest "deal breaker" but when it comes to hooking my pc up to a tv with just an HDMI cable I get incredibly apathetic.

Has anyone gone the audiobook route for the books? I just noticed audible has them up there and was curious. I wouldn't mind reading them but I have lots more time to go through material if it's audiobook format.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm going to watch the original..wish me luck.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Alder posted:

I'm going to watch the original..wish me luck.

don't watch the next episode teasers.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Has anyone gone the audiobook route for the books? I just noticed audible has them up there and was curious. I wouldn't mind reading them but I have lots more time to go through material if it's audiobook format.

I listened to the first two. They're very dry. Like an order of magnitude drier than the show. I'd say listen to the preview on the first one to make sure you don't hate it immediately. Definitely neat if you watched the show, as a lot more of the world is explored, but I just haven't felt any desire to move on past the second one.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

:argh: lazy bastards didn’t animate the gay water fountain bath scene

Pretty good episode relative to the original anime

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This adaptation is beginning to look really promising. Only really afraid of the pace. I can't say I prefer either adaptation over the another so far.

edit: I really liked the scene where they showed Goldenbaum dynasty literally demolished skycrapers for a lovely feudal society landscape

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 18, 2018

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Episode was garbage, did not depict Reinhard kicking rear end balls and taking names.

That's how it's goddamn done.

But seriously, this is going way better than I expected. I still miss my Mahler, Bruckner, and Dvorak, but the character designs (my second biggest worry) are actually working out pretty well.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 18, 2018

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Man, the shot in the OP of seigfreid and reinhard's ships coming out of the clouds is so dope until they start dancing. It went from a classic epic shot to lame in like a half second.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dessel posted:

This adaptation is beginning to look really promising. Only really afraid of the pace. I can't say I prefer either adaptation over the another so far.

edit: I really liked the scene where they showed Goldenbaum dynasty literally demolished skycrapers for a lovely feudal society landscape

Yeah I'm liking the decision to move forward alot of the worldbuilding, I like that over the OVA. Also, make the fact that the Empire deliberately deindustrialized alot of its administrative worlds more overt. It is a sick land that does not take care of its citizens.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

DamnGlitch posted:

Man, the shot in the OP of seigfreid and reinhard's ships coming out of the clouds is so dope until they start dancing. It went from a classic epic shot to lame in like a half second.

thats cause they're gay

Flavor Text
Jan 3, 2010

Why would you lick books, ew
Speaking of, am I alone in thinking their relationship in episode 3 got really straightwashed compared to the equivalent material being covered in the OVA, and as a result what we're left with feels kind of flat and weird? Overall the show has been quite competent but this was really off-putting, and an issue I wasn't expecting given the character designs and trends in current anime these days.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Flavor Text posted:

Speaking of, am I alone in thinking their relationship in episode 3 got really straightwashed compared to the equivalent material being covered in the OVA, and as a result what we're left with feels kind of flat and weird? Overall the show has been quite competent but this was really off-putting, and an issue I wasn't expecting given the character designs and trends in current anime these days.

No kidding. I'm less fond of the execution than you are of the rest of the show, but they've really taken the opportunity to dial down interactions between Reinhard and Kircheis as well as increasing amounts of Kircheis focusing on Annerose. Which has some downright baffling effects because what's the point of having Kircheis show up after the schoolyard brawl otherwise? (Also see him not being the one to get Reinhard to show mercy in episode 1 compared to him having to urge it in the OVA.)

...there's also the abridged backstory not really mentioning anything that Goldenbaum did wrong beyond seizing power, which is a heck of an omission given the genocidal purges he was up to in the full version of it. They keep the namedrop of the Inferior Genes Exclusion Act in the Oberstein scene later, but there's not as much of a point to the emphasis of it relative to the OVA scene.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Agreed. The lack of gay splashing is very noticeable. I hope the Rudolf genocide comes up in full later, maybe when Oberstein is introduced again.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
uh i haven't watched new adaptation yet but are they really removing the gay (v deep male-male love) subtext? not a faithful adaptation of the source novels w/o that imo

its a big component of reinhard's character, his heart breaking dooms him

also btw 6th novel tranlation is out https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1421584999/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

No, episode 1 was pretty gay

I think they just didn’t want to animate the water fountain

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
i dunno. episode 1 was pretty straightened, they didn't even ruffle each other's hair or grab a lock. that is canon. they are really, really comfortable with personal contact.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Phobophilia posted:

thats cause they're gay

Sure seems like that's being downplayed in this :sigh:

I'm unhappy about ep3

E: augh everything loaded slowly so I missed other comments before jumping in to complain. Yes, it absolutely seemed straightwashed to me and my friends noticed as well and are pretty upset.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 18, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sieg was never gay

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sieg was never gay

What are you talking about? Our culture may be so alienated and hypersexualized that any depiction of real affection between male friends is automatically interpreted as homosexual attraction, but this state of affairs is actually normal and good. You bigot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think there is definitely a somewhat homoerotic component to Reinhard’s feelings about Sieg. Much less so the reverse. At the very least the intensity of their relationship pushes the boundary of what is considered acceptable for a friendship between men in the empire. Reinhard’s grief after Sieg bites it is inappropriate, immoderate, definitely at the edge of what would be expected from even a romantic friendship.

That said, no one, not even Reinhard’s enemies, ever alleges homosexuality between the two. They do allege that Reinhard was the Kaiser’s fuckboy. Reinhard is a kind of sexually ambiguous figure particularly in the books, where he is regularly physically described as a glowing beauty. He definitely doesn’t enthusiastically pursue women unlike Schonkopf or Poplin, he doesn’t have a misogynistic dependency on (hetero) sex for validation like Reuenthal, he doesn’t have a healthy home life like Mittermeyer. Like Yang, he blunders into a relationship with a subordinate, but their relationship definitely isn’t as healthy as Yang’s and Frederica’s. Hilde rather implies that Reinhard doesn’t love her and is marrying her out of a sense of obligation. I think she has a point, though is probably also beating herself up a bit, and I think a reading of Reinhard as someone with latent homosexual urges is sustainable. But he was certainly never in a gay relationship with Kircheis. Homosexuality is taboo in the empire, one of the original evils that Rudolf campaigned against.

e: I might as well add that their relationship is clearly modeled on that of Alexander and Hephaestion, which similarly was thought of as an unusually intense romantic friendship and never presented by contemporaries as homosexual unless to criticize it. This has not stopped many later commentators from reading it as homosexual.

e2: I might as well also add that I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the woman Reinhard does end up marrying is the most butch in the entire story. Hilde wears her hair short, has a boyish figure, takes on a traditionally male role in government and frequently cross-dresses.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 18, 2018

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
They're totally gay...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

They're totally gay...

Reinhard is totally gay but Sieg even in the original was motivated by Annerose

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Kircheis deeply loves Reinhard

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheKingofSprings posted:

Reinhard is totally gay but Sieg even in the original was motivated by Annerose

This was always my reading, though admittedly I've only seen the OVA. It always seemed clear to me that while Reinhard and Siegfried both deeply cared for each other, Reinhard loved Siegfried in a way that Siegfried never loved Reinhard. I always felt there was something deeply wistful and regretful about Reinhard asking Siegfried if he loved Annerose while Sieg lay dying.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I love my dead gay kaiser

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I'm just going to point out that in episode 26 of the OVA multiple people call Kircheis Reinhard's "other half" or equivalent, both allies and enemies. Gaiden gets significantly less subtle/restrained, complete with a bit where Kircheis goes home to visit his parents (who he hasn't seen for seven years until Reinhard urges him to) which starts nice enough until they ask him when he's going to get married and have grandkids. Queue Kircheis's expression instantly going awkward as heck, all joy draining out of the proceedings, and an argument ensuing as he says that isn't in the future...

IMHO, Gaiden's pretty good when I watched it recently for the first time except for the first half of Spiral Labyrinth, which is poorly paced and animated pain.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kanos posted:

This was always my reading, though admittedly I've only seen the OVA.

Same. There is a deep homoeroticism in logh but it’s along almost traditional military lines, not what most would consider modern homosexuality in the 20th or 21st century.

I rather liked episode 3. I’m not sure how I feel about the exposition dump that is lacking a ton in detail, but as an updating and streamlining of the ova i felt the kircheissxreinhard backstory hit most of the marks. For a NEW AUDIENCE I’m sure it was just fine.

I really liked seeing full eye kirchiess. I’m not sure how he’s supposed to go from that to the narrow adult design.

Annerose character update is gonna be the best in the series. She always was really, really poorly rendered in the ova.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gourdcaptain posted:

I'm just going to point out that in episode 26 of the OVA multiple people call Kircheis Reinhard's "other half" or equivalent, both allies and enemies. Gaiden gets significantly less subtle/restrained, complete with a bit where Kircheis goes home to visit his parents (who he hasn't seen for seven years until Reinhard urges him to) which starts nice enough until they ask him when he's going to get married and have grandkids. Queue Kircheis's expression instantly going awkward as heck, all joy draining out of the proceedings, and an argument ensuing as he says that isn't in the future...

IMHO, Gaiden's pretty good when I watched it recently for the first time except for the first half of Spiral Labyrinth, which is poorly paced and animated pain.

The way they refer to Siegfried as Reinhard's "other half" is (probably intentionally) ambiguous, but it can easily be taken to mean that everyone observing the situation understands that Siegfried was Reinhard's moral compass and moderating influence and without that Reinhard's almost supernatural genius may be diminished or even lost instead of "they were totally gay". Mittermeyer spends a fair amount of time in dialogue in the aftermath of Sieg's death trying to convince himself and Reuental that if they just continue to follow orders Reinhard will rally and all will be well, Reuental openly wonders if he backed the wrong horse because of the changes in Reinhard's personality and behavior, and Hilde's primary goal is to try to recreate the role that Siegfried filled because she's worried that Reinhard is going to either become Rudolf the Sequel or simply fail.

I haven't watched Gaiden, but from your description of the scene it seems possible to interpret that as Siegfried pining after Annerose(as he has always done) but understanding that his loyalty and obligation to Reinhard means that a relationship with her can never come to pass, and he's not interested in finding a romantic relationship elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kanos posted:

I haven't watched Gaiden, but from your description of the scene it seems possible to interpret that as Siegfried pining after Annerose(as he has always done) but understanding that his loyalty and obligation to Reinhard means that a relationship with her can never come to pass, and he's not interested in finding a romantic relationship elsewhere.
Unfortunately, the side effect of discussing 80's OVAs like this is they're not exactly going to say anything explicitly, so this is how it read to me. There's a _lot_ of stuff like that in Gaiden, and there's three arcs of anime original content that basically are the anime team's Reinhard and Kircheis fluff either platonic or romantic. (Also, one of these, The Duelist, has Reinhard fight what I can only describe as a redcoat ninja and go on a space Wikipedia dive and think Japanese swords are cool and want to learn a sweet finishing move. Kircheis is clearly somewhere between bemused and wanting to facepalm.) I'll just note that I don't really read Kircheis/Annerose from the series, but that's more in their weird standoffishness and some other stuff.

I do think the changes in DNT render it a blander looking product as a result.