Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

iospace posted:

Convince your bosses to put "We have the right to remove customers we feel are being disruptive or loitering" on the menu. Tell them they're loitering and boot them. When they complain, tell them to look at the menu.
That would be illegal unless you actually had the police remove them for loitering, and even then, the first question they will ask is "did they buy anything" because if you served them, you missed your chance to deny service. You could ask them politely to leave, or wait until you closed and then call the cops, but you lose a lot of your "rights" when you accept them as a paying customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A Man and his dog posted:

If you do Tea, I hope you are brewing it fresh.

My second job does bag in the box Lipton from Pepsi and customers send that poo poo back ALL the time...

God no. BIAB tea is the worst thing, and usually sweet as hell too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Liquid Communism posted:

My first job was at a pizza place that had strawberry ice tea and lemonade in the fountain machine and it was hilarious to me how many parents would tell their kids they couldn't have soda pop but could have one of those. I get not wanting them to have caffeine, but that's in the tea, and the lemonade has as much sugar as sprite and the acidity means it's probably worse for their teeth.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sweet tea and unsweetened are gross. Iced tea in general is gross.

MODS!?
Tea is good, you will fine. In all it's preparations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah what the hell man? Tea is great.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

My first job was at a pizza place that had strawberry ice tea and lemonade in the fountain machine and it was hilarious to me how many parents would tell their kids they couldn't have soda pop but could have one of those. I get not wanting them to have caffeine, but that's in the tea, and the lemonade has as much sugar as sprite and the acidity means it's probably worse for their teeth.

Soda has a ph of like 2.5 I doubt lemonade is much worse.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

that's because the sugar is covering up the bitter flavor in the tea.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Industry bros. I experienced my first real serious drainage clog last night.

It was horrible. I'm talking water everywhere. Plumbers couldn't figure it out. Like walking in 3 inch deep water around the kitchen.

BUT HEY WE CANT CLOSE CAUSE MONEY!

It was loving gross and Jesus I hope they get it fixed.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Discendo Vox posted:

Just to be clear, although Cook-Out is Very Christian, I have no knowledge that the company or its ownership have any heinous political beliefs, employment practices, etc. I want to like their shakes, but they're so dang thicc I find them inedible.

Finding out Cinnabon, Moe's, Auntie Anne's, Hardee's, Carl Jr.'s, Arby's, Jimmy Johns, Carvel, Corner bakery Cafe and like 10 more are all run by a Randite cartel was much harder. I can't even keep them all memorized to boycott!

::crosses a few more places off the list:: god drat it

But at least Cookout is ethically good. Stay Gold, Ponyboy.

Edit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_Brands

fucks sake.... Nothing can be good any more.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 15, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Suspect Bucket posted:

::crosses a few more places off the list:: god drat it

But at least Cookout is ethically good. Stay Gold, Ponyboy.

Edit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_Brands

fucks sake.... Nothing can be good any more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What fresh hell is this?
https://twitter.com/mccanner/status/985532447713570816

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah what the hell man? Tea is great.

Manuel Calavera posted:

MODS!?
Tea is good, you will fine. In all it's preparations.

No. Iced tea is awful and bad.

Hot tea and kombucha are good though

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Good news! I did some digging on their regulatory comment submissions and the personal donations of the founders, and as far as I can tell Focus and Roark are classical Republicans like virtually all fast food owners, not objectivists. Cruz/McCain/Romney donors, not Trump and not Paul. So, take that for what it's worth. Remarkably, the crazy guy who founded Raising Cane's seems to have virtually no political opinions or donations and has a really good employment and compliance record, at least for fast food restaurant service employment.

Also learned on this trip into the weeds: Zaxby's uses like 50-80% more salt in their chicken than any of their competitors. Like, grams and grams of it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Discendo Vox posted:

Just to be clear, although Cook-Out is Very Christian, I have no knowledge that the company or its ownership have any heinous political beliefs, employment practices, etc. I want to like their shakes, but they're so dang thicc I find them inedible.

Look at this loving cop.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No. Iced tea is awful and bad.

Hot tea and kombucha are good though

All tea is good. :colbert:

@Vox - I thought the owner of Jimmy John's, like the guy who started it (before it was bought by Focus), was still kinda a nutbar Republican type? That's what I remember hearing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Manuel Calavera posted:

All tea is good. :colbert:

@Vox - I thought the owner of Jimmy John's, like the guy who started it (before it was bought by Focus), was still kinda a nutbar Republican type? That's what I remember hearing.

Yes, and he's still around in an, iirc, 35% ownership role on that company. By no means am I saying Focus or other Roark brands are good, or owned by good people. Just...you know, typical Republican evil, not Mercer/Thiel evil.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only care a bit about JJ's since it's super convenient for a convention if I need something to eat quick for cheap of reasonably acceptable quality.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I was all set to effort post about supporting local business instead of fast food chains Because Politics, until I remembered that my KM is a Trump supporter. She's pretty awesome in every aspect of being a boss, but how in holy hell can you be a gay woman and support Trump? It's sorta become a crew mantra whenever she does make a bone-headed decision on something.
"Why the gently caress are we [doing X]?"
"Remember, she voted for Trump."
"Oh, right, heard."

I have no idea what the owners' political leanings are, but when our current democrat governor visited us for brunch, they sure posted that pic with the quickness on our FB page.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Manuel Calavera posted:

Jimmy John Liataud grew up rich as gently caress in a white flight Chicago suburb and has always been a nutbar conservative. Mike Liataud, his cousin who founded Milio's (which basically has the exact same menu as JJ's, except they have soup offerings during winter months), got liberalized when he went to school here in Madison and is by all accounts a very decent dude.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Milio's is also superior in taste.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Eat at Publix. Somehow both a dyed in the wool southern institution, and also being employee owned, full benefits, health care, and genuinely pleasant people company.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Eat at Publix. Somehow both a dyed in the wool southern institution, and also being employee owned, full benefits, health care, and genuinely pleasant people company.

When I was doing political canvassing for an AFL-CIO affiliate in between industry gigs, we almost always ending up eating lunch at a Kroger. I figured it was mostly for convenience (there's one in every town we travelled to, and their ready-made food options are pretty good) until one day when I noticed the sign on the door saying they were unionized --- ahhh.

So in the absence of a Publix, I'm pretty pro-Kroger. Their HQ is in my city, so some of the big stores here are almost --- almost --- as incredible as a Wegmans.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pro Kroger too, especially since they're from Ohio. I don't know of any Milo's anywhere near me. @Demps you don't post in the chat thread as much. Being from Cinci, how do you feel about the chili?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Don't even get me started on that garbage they call chili.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Eat my rear end five ways Cincinnati

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Morbid Fiesta posted:

:byoscience:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Morbid Fiesta posted:

This sounds like a ripoff sitcom of It's Always Sunny.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Skwirl posted:

This sounds like a ripoff sitcom of It's Always Sunny.

One I would watch.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

One I would watch.

was expecting you to be forums user "yeah i eat rear end"

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Field Mousepad posted:

Wrong opinions ITT.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Mmm canned hot dog chili with nutmeg and cinnamon in it. Yummmmyyyy!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
publix : you go in, everything is incredibly overpriced, the only decent deal is their deli and precooked poo poo, you buy a singular squash for $2.50 and a 6oz thing of fish for $9.46. corn is $1 per cobb. a six pack of coke is $7, and wine that is normally $6 for two liters is $12. the employees are all incompetent but also seem to be happy for some dumb reason that probably has to do with really lovely management and a disregard for normalcy or market pricing.

kroger : you go in, there's a security guard. the selection is great and there are usually deals on produce that are around farmers market prices. $.69c /lb fresh green beans $6 for whole "organic" chickens. their deli is overpriced, and employees also incompetent, but they seem to care a whole lot less because why would you care about working a retail job in a supermarket. you invariably find whatever the gently caress you want, and self checkout in 30 seconds.

dunno, they both have problems but I get so frustrated at the vibe and pricing in a publix that I just can't even shop rationally. it's almost worse than a wholefoods - at least *they* are explicit re: their motives. In publix all the prices are at the maximum reasonable price, like $5.99 for a bag of tortilla chips, and everyone trys so hard to be friendly that I just can't loving take it.

be mean to me and give me a decent deal ala Kroger, or take wholefood's approach and make overpaying for food a "lifestyle" thing - but don't just feed me poo poo produce, raping me and smiling while your dick is up my rear end ffs.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 18, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

mindphlux posted:

publix : you go in, everything is incredibly overpriced, the only decent deal is their deli and precooked poo poo, you buy a singular squash for $2.50 and a 6oz thing of fish for $9.46. corn is $1 per cobb. a six pack

My dude. With the utmost respect, you must focus on seasonal stuff, sale items and bogos. If you want cheap and unpleasant, go to walmart.

Their deli and pre-cooked poo poo is exactly the reason I reccomend them as well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Publix sandwiches are just okay. I've seen people fawn over them and I just don't get it. They're no better or worse than Harris Teeter sandwiches, which are cheaper.

Publix is definitely way overpriced, too. I know their lack of a purchase-tracking loyalty card should be a plus, but it means there's never anything truly on sale that you can get for super cheap like HT does with their "buy 2 get 3 free" promotions on some things.

One thing I will give to them is that their store-brand ice cream is loving awesome, particularly this one.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm pro Kroger too, especially since they're from Ohio. I don't know of any Milo's anywhere near me. @Demps you don't post in the chat thread as much. Being from Cinci, how do you feel about the chili?

It seems I am mistaken/misinformed! I was told at some point that Kroger was HQed in Roanoke, VA, which is where I just moved to last year. There's a giant office building near me, which is apparently a regional, not national HQ. That, coupled with the misinfo and the fact that there's a Kroger every three feet here whereas you gotta go out of your way to find a Food Lion (the only other heavy hitter in town, if you don't count Walmart), led me to believe that this was their home turf.

Also, the owner of one of the last indie supermarkets here used to be head honcho of Kroger's entire meat dept, so I guess I smushed that into my head, too, as my fair city being its hometown.

My bad! Serves me right for not fact checking. But hey, I learned something today, thanks!

So, to answer your question, I'm not actually in Cincinnati, and can't speak for their chili. I'd certainly try it, though, I love chili in all its forms and am no purist.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So, to answer your question, I'm not actually in Cincinnati, and can't speak for their chili. I'd certainly try it, though, I love chili in all its forms and am no purist.
This is a great view to have re: chili but will truly be tested with cincinnati.

One of my fav articles, scroll down to #52 https://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

That is some pro-click funny and greatly appreciated, thanks. :) The Virginia ham entry is dead on; I've lived in this state for almost 18 years now and don't think I've met anyone who gets excited about our ham the way, say, an upstate NYer gets wistful for real buffalo wings or snappies or Gianelli sausage. We're just known for ham because Smithfield runs the parts of the state that Philip Morris does not, best I can tell. Even my store, which prides itself on local, fresh food, gets its country ham from (gasp!) North Carolina.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

This is a great view to have re: chili but will truly be tested with cincinnati.

One of my fav articles, scroll down to #52 https://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

Still wrong opinions ITT. :colbert:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That's pretty accurate actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So Petit Trois is ridiculously small and has wonderful food. It's amazing they can stay in business.