Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Made some refried beans with a recipe that worked (I tried a very vanilla pinto bean recipe before and was very meh)

1 1/2 cups of dried black beans
1 white onion
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp paprika
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp chilli powder (the Indian stuff, probably more if you use a different heat source)
salt, pepper, lemon juice to taste

serve with salsa of tomato, onion, coriander, salt, pepper and lemon juice.

I used a fair bit more oil and salt than I did when I made the pinto bean one, and it made a huge difference.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Anyone have a favorite tajine recipe? I made this one and while it tasted fine, it came out way too mushy — and I didn't even add the stock mentioned in the recipe. I bet the texture would have worked out if I'd added the vegetables in stages (looking at you, eggplant & zucchini) and maybe used a wider pan for more surface area.

While I'm at it, I'd welcome any other recipes that use harissa! I accidentally made a ton.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Harissa goes good in kisir. Or you could put some in with a caponata and pasta (E; but a caponata is pretty close to what you cooked, but missing capers and olives).

Next time you do something like that recipe, I would probably use butternut pumpkin and cauliflower - they're my go to veg for simmering. Or if you want to use things like zucchini, eggplant and capsicum then roast or grill them separately and add them near the end.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 9, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Today I veganed.
No money but my brother gave me a lemon and my mum gave me a leek. So what the hell, chana masala with a leek and 1/2 a lemon and dino.'s lemon rice with the other half a lemon and all the zest. Plus I threw in some green chillies and silverbeet I grow. If anyone cares I'll add start point recipes.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Maximum Planck posted:

Anyone have a favorite tajine recipe? I made this one and while it tasted fine, it came out way too mushy — and I didn't even add the stock mentioned in the recipe. I bet the texture would have worked out if I'd added the vegetables in stages (looking at you, eggplant & zucchini) and maybe used a wider pan for more surface area.

While I'm at it, I'd welcome any other recipes that use harissa! I accidentally made a ton.

When I do tagine I usually do eggplant, chickpeas, golden raisins and sweet potatoes. I usually use ras el hanout instead of harissa and squeeze in some lemon juice at the end-- not sure if it's still considered a tagine at that point, but hey.

emotive fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 15, 2018

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fo3 posted:

Today I veganed.
No money but my brother gave me a lemon and my mum gave me a leek. So what the hell, chana masala with a leek and 1/2 a lemon and dino.'s lemon rice with the other half a lemon and all the zest. Plus I threw in some green chillies and silverbeet I grow. If anyone cares I'll add start point recipes.

Wait, I actually wrote down the drat lemon rice recipe? I thought I just threw out a quick youtube video of it. What is this recipe you speak of.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dino. posted:

Wait, I actually wrote down the drat lemon rice recipe? I thought I just threw out a quick youtube video of it. What is this recipe you speak of.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729596&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post447820994

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

dino. posted:

I have 3 versions! I used to prod and ask questions to you about it often, getting slight changes each time

The last one I used:

quote:

Dinos lemon rice
Cook the rice then spread it out onto a surface to cool off. It doesn't need to get cold, but it needs to be cooled down so that you can easily mix it with your hands, (the best way to mix it all together is with your hands. Any stirring or serving utensil will mush the rice too much. )

The white urad daal is there for a nutty flavor. If you have other nuts, use those in addition to white urad daal. If you cannot get white urad daal, simply use sesame seed or any other nut, be they cashews, or peanuts, or almond slivers. Asafoetida is there for authentic flavor and aroma. If you don’t have it, don’t use it.

Ingredients:
4 cups cooked and cooled rice
2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
½ teaspoon whole mustard seeds
½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon turmeric
Juice and zest of one to two lemons
Optional:
1/8 teaspoon asafoetida (if you can’t find it, omit it)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root (not powdered—if you don’t have fresh, omit it)
¼ teaspoon white urad daal, or sesame seeds
Salt, to taste

Traditional Method:
Cook the rice and cool down to room temperature.
Use a skillet or wok to heat up the peanut or canola oil. When the oil gets hot enough that a small wisp of smoke escapes the surface, add the mustard seeds. The mustard seeds should begin popping.

When the popping subsides, add the cumin seeds and urad daal or sesame. Add the asafoetida, and wait for the popping of the cumin to subside.

Add optional nuts and cook until are toasted. Add the turmeric. Stir it through well, and make sure that the turmeric cooks for about 30 - 45 seconds over the heat. If it doesn't cook well, turmeric has a horrible taste.
{fo3 edit: stir through the rice now)
Finally, add the grated ginger, and turn off the heat. Ginger cooks extremely quickly, and does not require the flame to be on. Slam on the lid, and walk away from the stove. The ginger will cook in the residual heat.

While you wait for the ginger to "cook", zest and juice your lemon. Feel comfortable in knowing that your ginger and spices won't burn, because the stove is off. Life is good.

Open the lid of the spice pot, and pour in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir gently to combine.

Variations: There are many times when the situation is less than ideal. I may have forgotten to buy the lemons, or the lemon juice, and I've got all of a teaspoon of the stuff lying around. I can't find my ginger, because I used it in something else in a fit of inspiration. I used up the last of the nuts the night before while sitting on my duff, and watching Golden Girls. Either way, life can sometimes end up in ways you don't want for it to end up.

1) If I'm running extremely low on lemon juice, I sprinkle in a small dab of citric acid (which can be found in bulk in most Indian stores) to amp up the lemony taste. Citrc acid keeps forever, and is good for when I've not got the time to make lemons happen.

3) When I run out of ginger, I don't panic at all. That's when I slide in a few cloves of smashed garlic, or a bit of chopped onion. As I come from a Brahmin house, this is strictly Not Done, but seeing as how my family does eat garlic and onion, many of those recipes are done from tradition or not having garlic or onion lying around. These days, however, I find that it's easier to keep garlic or onion in stock than ginger, which tends to turn on me rather quickly.

The one from the GWS link is one of the versions I had, I went with the above one for more variations. There's another that I had that was mainly preamble, so I condensed whatever was in that one and added to the above, omitting stuff I already knew or didn't want.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 18, 2018

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Dino you are the GOAT for introducing me to the wonders of Adai. I'm a vegetarian who is also hitting the gym for the first time ever so I've gotta really watch those macros bruh!! This stuff is insane. Eats like a pancake but its full of protein and fiber. Much love :swoon:

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Maximum Planck posted:

emotive posted:

When I do tagine I usually do eggplant, chickpeas, golden raisins and sweet potatoes. I usually use ras el hanout instead of harissa and squeeze in some lemon juice at the end-- not sure if it's still considered a tagine at that point, but hey.

I use ras el hanout too, it's my favorite spice mix. I just put an aubergine, courgettes, a red pepper, chickpeas, celery stalks and sometimes carrots in a big pot with olive oil, then I add the vegetable stock, water and spices and let it simmer for a while. It does come out mushy but I've never seen a tajine that wasn't and I love overcooked veggies anyway. Do not be afraid to go crazy with dried fruits and nuts, too. Raisins and prunes are great, but my mom used dried apricots and almonds and it worked really well.

A tajine is whatever you want in a big pot with spices, and if that makes me a Tajine Anarchist so be it.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

Thanks for all the tajine tips (and reminding me to cook more lemon rice)!

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

I use ras el hanout too, it's my favorite spice mix. I just put an aubergine, courgettes, a red pepper, chickpeas, celery stalks and sometimes carrots in a big pot with olive oil, then I add the vegetable stock, water and spices and let it simmer for a while. It does come out mushy but I've never seen a tajine that wasn't and I love overcooked veggies anyway. Do not be afraid to go crazy with dried fruits and nuts, too. Raisins and prunes are great, but my mom used dried apricots and almonds and it worked really well.

A tajine is whatever you want in a big pot with spices, and if that makes me a Tajine Anarchist so be it.

Adding more types of dried fruits and nuts sounds delicious. I've never had authentic tajine, just local interpretations of it, so I'm wondering: if it's meant to be all soft, do you then serve it with a side or by itself? It seems like it could use a firm counterpart.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

dino. posted:

I cook this lemon rice all the time. Sesame seed and cashews work for me, but it's great for whatever I've got lying around that can go in.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Maximum Planck posted:

Adding more types of dried fruits and nuts sounds delicious. I've never had authentic tajine, just local interpretations of it, so I'm wondering: if it's meant to be all soft, do you then serve it with a side or by itself? It seems like it could use a firm counterpart.

I always serve it over couscous with a slotted spoon so as to avoid drowning it (and keep the broth for soup!) but it's great with quinoa, rice and bulgur too. I know it's not really a firm counterpart but if you really don't like the texture don't be afraid to undercook the vegetables a bit and to use red pepper, carrots and celery or any crunchy vegetable that you like. I imagine using tomatoes and potatoes makes the dish mushier than it needs to be, but in my experience it's supposed to be a very fragrant mess that you mix with your couscous so the real difference in the end is the spice mix that you use. Still, adding the veggies in stages like you said could always be the thing that works for you!

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

No, that makes a lot of sense! Using the broth for soup is clever, I'm definitely doing that next time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I cook a lot of chickpeas and end up with a lot of tasty bean broth. I used it to make a simple vegan soup this week. I cooked down two leeks, sliced thin, and some garlic in some olive oil in a pot. To that I added the broth (~3.5 quarts), about two pounds of peeled and cut Yukon Gold potatoes, a head of cauliflower I chopped up, and some thyme. Simmer for 20 minutes, and stick blend with authority until completely smooth. This soup gets a lot of depth from the bean broth and the thyme works really well with the other ingredients, and the potatoes and cauliflower lend it a creamy quality after being pureed into nothingness. Obviously salt to taste but I actually didn't have to salt mine a lick because the broth I used was already seasoned from cooking the chickpeas.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Since the past few weeks I've been not only cooking my chickpeas (instant pot is amazing), but also making my own tahini. I eat about a pint of hummus a day, it's glorious!

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
Hummus truly is glorious. Imma make a batch tomorrow, but with PNB rather than tahini (my tahinis always go bad and then I get sad).

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

colonp posted:

Hummus truly is glorious. Imma make a batch tomorrow, but with PNB rather than tahini (my tahinis always go bad and then I get sad).

[hundreds of Israeli missile silos and Palestinian rocket launchers revolve towards your general direction]

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
..at least I'll have hummus..

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Buy a big bag of sesame seeds. When you want some tahini pan roast or broil sesame seeds and grind them up. voila tahini

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm not sure how it can go bad. I read homemade tahini lasts about a month in the fridge, and so far I've always finished mine under that time and it's always been good.

I can't believe I used to buy it at insane markups when it's so simple to make yourself.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My first bagels ever:

Everything on the left, onion on the right. Had trouble getting them brown, I think because the seal on my oven is not super great lately. Tasty though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Masoor dal with spinach

Aloo gajar

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
That aloo gajar looks so good I wished cilantro didn't taste like poo poo to me.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I searched the forums but only found a thread I couldn't post in anymore from 2005.
But I'm going to New York in a few weeks. Are there some stand-out places that are very good there?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Today I made Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce Gigantes Plaki!

I used Lima beans instead, but I think I could get used to the "beans with pasta sauce" style of food.

Recipe was Gigantes (or Lima), baked with tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, salt, pepper and parsley. Was nice, but fairly bland.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

von Braun posted:

I searched the forums but only found a thread I couldn't post in anymore from 2005.
But I'm going to New York in a few weeks. Are there some stand-out places that are very good there?

Saravana Bhavan in Murray hill. That one Korean place. What’s it called. Hangawi.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I made what would be I think the third cabbage stir fry dish I'd post in this thread (there are lots of ways to stir fry cabbage...) but I forgot to take a picture. I did, however, livestream it, so I uploaded the stream to YouTube in case you want to fast forward to the end to see what it looks like.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That looks amazing! You're a fantastic cook

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I'd subscribe to your stream, but you have 6666 subscribers right now.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I have a sour cream stand-in recipe that uses great northern beans. I love it on a batch of Alton Brown recipe baked potatoes. It's good on chili too.

- 2 cups cooked great northern beans (or a rinsed, drained 16oz can)
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1. Blend all in a blender.

I've been trying to do more beans and rice stuff. Recently, I had beans and rice with fried plantains and cilantro pesto, although I think the pesto could've used a handful of sunflower kernels to make it creamier. http://www.alisonsallspice.com/plantain-black-bean-rice-bowls-cilantro-pesto/

(I have real dishes that respectable people eat off of, but I had lunches to pack)

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

SpannerX posted:

I'd subscribe to your stream, but you have 6666 subscribers right now.

It's so close to 6969! Subscribe!

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
I made a hummus sandwich today for the first time in a long while.

Storebought ciabatta, onion, tomato, cucumber, iceberg, hummus and the brown stuff is vinaigrette based on balsamic vinegar and canola oil.

You might think it would be too bitter with hummus + balsamic vinegar, but I honestly wish I had made about 50% more vinaigrette (was about 0.5+1.5 US tablespoons total). Also, a bit too little hummus and a bit too much iceberg.. but still a really nice sandwich.

colonp fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 9, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Rd. 2 making Majedra was much better than last time.

Added salt to the lentils when cooking them, used stock instead of water, went easy on the spices and added some mustard seeds to lighten up the blend a bit, finished with some lemon juice and vinegar and it's really tasty.

Also cooked the onion for longer and threw in some sunflower seeds.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Eat The Rich posted:

It's so close to 6969! Subscribe!

Obligatory "Nice!"

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

colonp posted:

I made a hummus sandwich today for the first time in a long while.

Storebought ciabatta, onion, tomato, cucumber, iceberg, hummus and the brown stuff is vinaigrette based on balsamic vinegar and canola oil.

You might think it would be too bitter with hummus + balsamic vinegar, but I honestly wish I had made about 50% more vinaigrette (was 1+3 smallish tablespoons total). Also, a bit too little hummus and a bit too much iceberg.. but still a really nice sandwich.

That looks so good. I'm making a new batch of tahini today so I can make more hummus, and I've got the other ingredients on hand including homemade bread. I know what supper is tonight :getin:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Hey vegan friends. I'm not really vegan but have been seeing a vegan for some while and cooking a lot of vegan food as a result - this thread has been really helpful for recipes and links, so thank you! Your posts especially have been great for inspiration, TychoCelchuuu.

I have a question that I hope is appropriate here, cos I don't see any other threads for it. I'm probably eating vegan 4 or 5 days a week and using more non-animal products because it's easier to just stock stuff like vegan dairy alternatives rather than buy almond milk and cow milk both. Do you think it's necessary to take diet supplements like B12 and additional iron and iodine, or are the couple non-vegan days a week likely to cover my needs there? Otherwise, are there any plant-based foods I should try to eat more of to cover that stuff?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Seaweed and mushrooms if you think you're deficient or at risk :shrug:

You'll probably be grand assuming you're eating plenty of tasty whole foods and not living off doritos the rest of the time. If you start feeling terrible, you can try changing things up.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I don't think anyone can really tell you what supplements you do or don't have to take without knowing your diet in more detail than chances are even you know. At the very least we need to know what you eat beyond "a lot of vegan food." I don't take any supplements aside from a B12 pill every few weeks or months depending on more or less happenstance, and every time I get a blood test everything's better than fine. In any case, this is the vegan food thread, not a nutrition thread or something. We're cooks, not doctors. Even if we know what we're talking about (and chances are we don't), you have no way of knowing that we know what we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

I have a question that I hope is appropriate here, cos I don't see any other threads for it. I'm probably eating vegan 4 or 5 days a week and using more non-animal products because it's easier to just stock stuff like vegan dairy alternatives rather than buy almond milk and cow milk both. Do you think it's necessary to take diet supplements like B12 and additional iron and iodine, or are the couple non-vegan days a week likely to cover my needs there? Otherwise, are there any plant-based foods I should try to eat more of to cover that stuff?

There are a lot of resources by people properly qualified online for this, such as https://www.theveganrd.com/vegan-nutrition-101/vegan-nutrition-primers/

Check the nutritional information on your non dairy milk too though, as usually those contain a whole bunch of things that vegans get deficient in. Mine has vitamins D and B12 for example.