Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

thrawn527 posted:

Honestly, I think we're all better off having John Wick clones over all the Taken clones we were getting for years.

taken clones that all also starred liam neeson oddly enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So the new Jurassic World trailer is out. It looks embarrassing.

Like, I get it. A lot of people are going to dig this. It's The Fast and the Furious-ing of Jurassic Park. Those are very fun dumb movies that people dig. But to me it just feels like a total franchise-tone mismatch, even if JW did throw the whole thing down the toilet to begin with. But I was hoping a new director in the mix would help to course correct a bit. But instead they just went bigger, sillier, and dumber.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

feedmyleg posted:

The only thing embarrassing about this is the thumbs up "I'm okay" joke. Everything else rules. Dinosaurs rule. I'm in the "going to dig this" group easily

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

Like, I get it. A lot of people are going to dig this. It's The Fast and the Furious-ing of Jurassic Park. Those are very fun dumb movies that people dig. But to me it just feels like a total franchise-tone mismatch, even if JW did throw the whole thing down the toilet to begin with. But I was hoping a new director in the mix would help to course correct a bit. But instead they just went bigger, sillier, and dumber.

It's really weird that they end the trailer with the Indominus rex sneaking into the little girl's bedroom to menace her like we're supposed to go "OMG who will save her?" when an earlier part of the trailer already showed us that Owen and Blue come in to save her

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So much dinosaur action. Looks fun.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

So much dinosaur action. Looks fun.

Yeah, it's not a go to the theater movie, but I'll definitely watch it when it's released to video.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
That looks like a fun three hour dinosaur movie.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it's not a go to the theater movie, but I'll definitely watch it when it's released to video.

It's the definition of a theater movie though?

I only go to the theater to watch big dumb spectacle movies nowadays, the quiet and introspective films are the ones that personally I wait to watch at home.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

That's what this movie is about? Um, alright, I guess.

Like, I honestly don't know what to think. I'll see it in the theater, I love giant dinosaurs stomping around wrecking poo poo. But the giant sea dinosaur seems like it should probably be it's own movie. Kind of a bigger deal than the other dinosaurs, in a "Welp, I guess we as a species are done using boats" kind of way.

In fact, isn't that basically The Meg?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deakul posted:

It's the definition of a theater movie though?

I only go to the theater to watch big dumb spectacle movies nowadays, the quiet and introspective films are the ones that personally I wait to watch at home.

I have a big enough TV and decently leveled sound system, so that's good enough for me.

I think the movies I've actually seen in a theater in recent history were Fury Road, Dr Strange and the Star Wars movies that were not Rogue One.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

feedmyleg posted:

It just looks like yet another overproduced franchise film. They're 100% playing this safe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You perhaps need theaters that are improving then to make it worth your time. One of mine just converted every single room into ones with reserved seating, recliner seats for all, like 5 feet of leg room and all upgraded screens. Unless you're rocking a home theater in the basement with a 80" OLED screen I feel nothing compares.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vintersorg posted:

You perhaps need theaters that are improving then to make it worth your time. One of mine just converted every single room into ones with reserved seating, recliner seats for all, like 5 feet of leg room and all upgraded screens. Unless you're rocking a home theater in the basement with a 80" OLED screen I feel nothing compares.

Gotta be honest, I prefer the traditional theater experience. La-Z-Boy theaters seem to cater to a specific theatrical experience that I find mildly repulsive.

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, if JW was a reboot of JP, then JW:FK is basically a reboot of The Lost World. All the familiar pieces are there, and it's using the clownish Star Wars reboot/remix structure to sell a new generation on the same poo poo with worse writing than we had 25 years ago.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still pissed we didn't get dinosaurs with feathers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still pissed we didn't get dinosaurs with feathers.

Didn’t the raptors in III have some kind of feathering? Probably misremembering, but not so curious to find out :v:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Proteus Jones posted:

Didn’t the raptors in III have some kind of feathering? Probably misremembering, but not so curious to find out :v:

Barely

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gotta be honest, I prefer the traditional theater experience. La-Z-Boy theaters seem to cater to a specific theatrical experience that I find mildly repulsive.

Wtf. It's just more comfortable seats dude.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

Wtf. It's just more comfortable seats dude.

It's a lot more than that, actually.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

They're good seats peckerwood.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can you please go into why? I find it to be an infinitely better experience than the previous seats that were standard.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

uPen posted:

They're good seats peckerwood.

okay

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Why don't you expound on that thought? It's not obvious to me and I'd like to hear it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My thing is you get too comfortable. You're too relaxed to pay perfect attention. I like the middle ground. Nice seats, but not reclining. I'm more focused on the movie.

Also I get super indecisive about how I want to sit so I keep adjusting it, and I can't imagine it's not annoying to the person next to you.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The ideal movie theater experience is a drive through in a pickup truck with a portable BBQ but anything is better than the old movie seats where you got packed in like freight even though you're paying $10-15

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
too relaxed to pay perfect attention is a joke

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Why don't you expound on that thought? It's not obvious to me and I'd like to hear it.

Sure, but the post will be hyper goon pedantry, so be forewarned

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
put me in a sensory deprivation tank and beam the movie into my mind

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'm guessing beep boop bourgeoisie reasons, but VIP theaters are great. Motherfucking assigned seating, beer at my seat, and no goddamn kids. The general public movie going experience has become so annoying that I'll only see movies in the theater at 19+ cinemas now. Otherwise, I just wait and watch it at home.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
assigned seats are the greatest invention in theater going. previously living next to a large college meant having to wait in line for an hour plus to get good seats at any new hyped release. Now i buy my ticket snag center center seats and walk in during the previews. owns. recliners whip rear end too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I remember waiting in line for close to 2.5 hours for Spiderman 2, LoTR 1 and up to an hour for pretty much everything else. It was hell if you wanted decent seats. Otherwise it's a loving stampede of everyone.

Now - you could wait of course but opening night is fun.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Relax in your plush seats, capitalist pigs. Meanwhile we will bide our time on sacks of bolts and butter our popcorn with elbow grease.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

scary ghost dog posted:

put me in a sensory deprivation tank and beam the movie into my mind

I can’t enjoy a bucket of popcorn in a sensory deprivation tank

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

Relax in your plush seats, capitalist pigs. Meanwhile we will bide our time on sacks of bolts and butter our popcorn with elbow grease.

You could at least wait for my bad post...

Dillbag posted:

I'm guessing beep boop bourgeoisie reasons

Prolly, yes

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You could at least wait for my bad post...

You might not have gone the proletariat route and that was a risk I was unwilling to take.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can’t enjoy a bucket of popcorn in a sensory deprivation tank

thats right. you can only enjoy the movie

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

CelticPredator posted:

My thing is you get too comfortable. You're too relaxed to pay perfect attention. I like the middle ground. Nice seats, but not reclining. I'm more focused on the movie.

Also I get super indecisive about how I want to sit so I keep adjusting it, and I can't imagine it's not annoying to the person next to you.

:nallears:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey I just don't love 'em! They're okay, but not my favorite! Alamo Drafthouse has the perfect seats.

Also assigned seating is hell for moviepass

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like my seats to be so cush I end up making GBS threads my pants.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Dont know if any of you have visited iPic theatres but basically a night with just me and the wife seeing Creed with dinner served ended up costing just over $100 and was worth it :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I like the Hook reference at the end of the Jurassic World II trailer.

Other than that, the movie reminds me so much of the poop I just took, the resemblance is utterly uncanny.