Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The problem is the body is cracking at the body mount points and the clips end up halfway underneath the body and they're a bitch to get out. If I use that mesh tape and shoe goo will it set up hard enough for me to drill through it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I don’t know if I’d use a drill, but a lexan body reamer would be fine. You can also sub in drywall mesh tape. I used to reinforce my short course truck bodies all the time for racing. The big front end isn’t especially well supported.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Use plastic washers under your clips.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gingerbread House Music posted:

Use plastic washers under your clips.

That's what I've been doing, but now the cracks are getting bigger, and when the truck flips or rolls they get wedged in the cracks.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Get some polycarbonate sheet and reinforce the areas where it’s cracking:

http://m.loctiteproducts.com/p/13/0/7/epxy_plstc_s/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kuffs posted:

You can also sub in drywall mesh tape.

That is all the Duratrax body repair tape is :ssh:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol so i'l just go to home depot then for drywall tape and epoxy :v:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Shoe goo is the go-to because it’s slightly flexible and behaves well with lexan. If you use hardware store epoxy it may / may not work so great

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I feel like a proper basher now. Built a jump for the parking lot at work, successfully jumped a solid 12-15 feet and broke the rear shock tower. Time for an RPM upgrade!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

So... yeah. Hahn bodies take a beating. I need to do another patch job on mine. Also the wing on my Desert Gator took some damage.

Here's what you need to know, to do this well. USE LOTS OF E6000. Dont' be afraid to get dirty. And to get it to really work, you need to poke at the glue a lot, so it gets wrapped around the fibers and gets down to the plastic underneath.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm not very good at driving RC's, I've now broken the chassis on my slash from trying to jump it and hitting the jump more than jumping it. Thankfully parts are cheap!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

new rc daaaaaaaaay

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Hell yeah!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

Hell yeah!

No idea what it is, but i know the Axial .28-2S engine in it is a BEAST.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So dumb question but is there anything sensible between the $50 lovely toys and $5000 scratch built fire engines. The kiddo wants one and I don’t want to get him one I can’t fix.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Any of the entry level Traxxas/ECX/Arrma cars are steals for ~$200.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

So dumb question but is there anything sensible between the $50 lovely toys and $5000 scratch built fire engines. The kiddo wants one and I don’t want to get him one I can’t fix.

Traxxas by far. Excellent customer service.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I didn’t make myself clear. If he wanted a car I’d 100% get him a 1/18 traxxas, but he needs more firetruck in his life, and cannot be swayed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Doyusha make one, but I know nothing about their quality etc.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Comedy option:

Tamiya Lunch Box, paint it red, glue on LEDs

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I’m gonna end up pulling a peter sripol and just shove a toy shell onto a traxxas chassis.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

I’m gonna end up pulling a peter sripol and just shove a toy shell onto a traxxas chassis.

This is probably your best bet.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So, I have a new project. Amusingly, I have ~no real purpose~ for this chassis. But my RC driving buddy wanted a USGT car... So... here we go.

We bought TA07's. And we're setting them up for USGT. He picked up an R, I picked up a Pro. And most of the option parts.

Sunday is build day. We've got gears for ~3.8~ FDR, and 21.5 motors. We should be picking up USGT tires before the weekend.

... I should post some pictures.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Yeah, I would love to see them.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well here's a start:

And while I'm at it. I'm making some carbon fiber shock towers for my TT02b MS.

I've got a tracer mill, and i'm not afraid to use it...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

an scx10 II is a perfectly acceptable first crawler for a 4,5 YO right? Right. Asking for a friend.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

evil_bunnY posted:

an scx10 II is a perfectly acceptable first crawler for a 4,5 YO right? Right. Asking for a friend.

Absolutely not. Send it to me, and I'll send you a MORE perfect for a 4,5 YO SCX10 version 1, with some upgrades, instead.
Bonus - the antenna on the controller is already broken, and by a 3 year old
Double bonus - I'll send my snow tires that I made for it with chains

(I also kid, its a great first choice - very capable, up-gradable, and not too hard to control)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

evil_bunnY posted:

Yep, totally good. I am using a Novak 18.5 crawler system and 2S LiPo in my SCX10II and I let my almost 4 year old tool it around the yard without problem. I have a radio that I can adjust end points and I usually put it to 50% speed. The truck is geared pretty low as well, slightly quicker than a brisk walking pace. Just give your kid a wide open area at first to drive around and teach them to let go of the throttle when they get in a bind.

My boy is now driving around my wife's brushless HPI Blitz (13.5 BL) again run down to 50% and conservatively geared. He slams into a lot of stuff but he has the mechanics of driving down really well. He doesn't think twice at all with orientation of the car and how to turn the wheel.

I took him to the local RC dirt track this weekend to watch some racing (the April Fool's Classic brought a lot of pros to town) and he was really excited to see the cars go with all the jumps and was upset that he didn't have his car to race. I am going to take him there on a practice night and see how well he does. I have waited for years when I could finally share my hobby with my kids and hope they would embrace it the same way I do. It looks like I might get my wish :unsmith:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I’m glad to hear I’m making a perfectly rational decision. What radio do you use to get adjustable endpoints. I’m used to openTX on quadrotors where endpoints are ez, but I know nothing about the waterproof electronics I want in the car.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The TRX4 might be a better choice. Comes with waterproof electronics out of the box. And I think the Traxxas radios also have a throttle limiter for kids. Or you know, could just keep it in 1st gear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kuffs posted:

The TRX4 might be a better choice. Comes with waterproof electronics out of the box. And I think the Traxxas radios also have a throttle limiter for kids. Or you know, could just keep it in 1st gear.
SHUT UP I DON'T NEED THIS VALIDATION.

I didn't like any of the bodies and then they came out with that amazing bronco

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Absolutely. Lots of fun, and short of driving it off a cliff or seriously abusing the servo, it's damned near bulletproof.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm a flying RC kinda guy, can I just shove a normal 4-ch receiver (x4r) in the scx and be on my way? I don't see why not but I might be missing something. The x4r can take up to 10v in.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Depends on the transmitter. Graunper radios will talk to air recievers just fine. Spektrum will not. I don't know about FAAST or whatver the chinese and futaba people do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I should have precised. I'm using frsky. They don't make ground-specific receivers or radios. My goal is to let the kid use my radio (frsky x10) for now, then get him either an X-lite or a q7s eventually.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I just bought an x10s and am using good old x4r receivers in my trucks. I got tired of the lack of customization capabilities in my Futaba. I’ve presently got both the gimbals free (mode 0???) but I may change to mode 2 so I can fly a quad off of the same tx.

Back when radios were using crystals, the radio manufacturers split the bands into surface / air so there wasn’t accidental collisions between different hobbyists. (Someone could be driving a car in an area where someone was flying a plane without realizing it). I assumed that split was gone now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah it’s all 2.4ghz digital now (or 868mhz or 433mhz if you do fancy/illegal stuff). My plan is to use right stick for cars, I fly mode 2 and the kid is mostly right handed so this will work out peachy. Thanks a bunch my man.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I’ve got left stick on steer and right stick on throttle. I figure it’ll be easier for me to make that transition from playing video games. Frsky’s prototype drone radio had me excited, but it doesn’t have any triggers.

Until now, I’ve used a pistol grip radio all my life. If Masami Hirosaka can win 13 world championships with a stick radio, I can learn to bumble around on one.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

I just finished my latest class 1 build.

GCM Skeleton J2 chassis. TMX axles. Holmes electronics. All lights work. The steering wheel works (though I need to find a way to get Ash to keep his hands on the wheel).

It needs just a little bit more work on the suspension and it’ll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah it’s all 2.4ghz digital now (or 868mhz or 433mhz if you do fancy/illegal stuff). My plan is to use right stick for cars, I fly mode 2 and the kid is mostly right handed so this will work out peachy. Thanks a bunch my man.

Sticks to control cars? :toughguy:

Why not get a GT3B? Dirt cheap, even if you include the cost of the hardware needed to flash the community firmware.