Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

business hammocks posted:

And have you seen the park benches with spikes that pop out at night?

Look at this poo poo, this is like literal Death Trap™ design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like that we live in the Demolition Man future.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

They have to make sure you and especially all the filthy poors know that they'd rather skewer the homeless than tolerate being aware of their existence.

Yeah, and it has to be omnipresent, that's important. Any place where a homeless person could theoretically sit or lay down that isn't directly in the way of a possible path, because if they decide to lay down on a path or sleep sitting on some stairs or something, that then you can just call the cops on them for disruptive vagrancy.

Capitalism is toxic and inhuman.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The market is so efficient that it can eliminate the very problems it causes! If only there were industrial uses for corpses...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Any internet critic reviewing anti-homeless architecture?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

McMansion Hell is the only online architecture critic that comes to mind, and she focuses more on gaudy residences, but her stuff is fantastic.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The market will force people with nowhere to go to “go” somewhere else because intrusive government regulations on homicide are preventing a more competitive solution.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

This may be mindblowing, but people who subscribe to various ideologies can hold a variety of views and beliefs, some of which can be sensible and right, and some of which can be stupid and risible. Forbidding all mockery of these views just because the Other Side also mocks them is a really dumb idea.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

She said a while ago that she wouldn’t talk to any kind of reactionary any more.

Thanks for this info, that does alleviate my biggest issue with her.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Holy poo poo can we get a loving mod please

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Politics doesn’t get done on twitter for gently caress’s sake. Also tell us a time Contrapoints said leftism was bad.

I feel there’s a certain large orange exception who really should be mentioned here. Also the organising role it had in the Arab Spring and a few Central Asian pogroms, the way it shaped public opinion ahead of major events like the Brexit vote, and a bunch of other stuff. Twitter may be silly, but it’s silly and important.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Puppy Time posted:

This may be mindblowing, but people who subscribe to various ideologies can hold a variety of views and beliefs, some of which can be sensible and right, and some of which can be stupid and risible. Forbidding all mockery of these views just because the Other Side also mocks them is a really dumb idea.

Yeah that’s the biggest problem with Contra she seems to think because their ideology isn’t consistent or well thought out means they aren’t sincere in belief which is loving dangerous. Plus it’s kind of playing into the whole holier than though leftist stereotype.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Junpei Hyde posted:

We must fight for ourselves!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like that of all the forums to turn into Battle Royale it's the loving podcast forum, and let's be real it's only one thread in that forum.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I honestly don’t see why you all are whining.

Is this like the first thread y’all have ever followed or?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It may surprise everyone here, including me, but uh... Extra Credits

https://youtu.be/NWZLB8CyPbM

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel there’s a certain large orange exception who really should be mentioned here. Also the organising role it had in the Arab Spring and a few Central Asian pogroms, the way it shaped public opinion ahead of major events like the Brexit vote, and a bunch of other stuff. Twitter may be silly, but it’s silly and important.

Hey, I'll have you know it's only for alt right groups to sic followers on people and the public organizing and connecting it's had a hand in, especially in the face of certain large scale tragedies are all lies.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Can a bunch of you please just gently caress off to D&D and never come back

thanks

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Oh we have one now

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

Has Contra done something for her to be brought up?

MovieBob is a complete arsehole.
Zinnia Jones is also a complete arsehole.
Shaun is cool :).

Who's Zinnia Jones, and what did she say? I remember you bringing her up before.

Also, is the catgirl thing about Contra referring to Chelsea Manning?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Who's Zinnia Jones, and what did she say? I remember you bringing her up before.

Just general liberal failings of not understanding class issues basically and she gets obnoxious about it sometimes. IDK if she's ever done anything worse

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Also, is the catgirl thing about Contra referring to Chelsea Manning?

She used to be an active trans youtuber, now she tweets MovieBob style opinions about how working class people are scum. Quite dislikeable and trollish frankly.

Coongrats to nine gear crow. I implore you now, save us.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Oh we have one now

Indeed, you do. So everyone calm the gently caress down already.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

rest in peace, nine-gear crow

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Playstation 4 posted:

It may surprise everyone here, including me, but uh... Extra Credits

https://youtu.be/NWZLB8CyPbM

Holy cow! Thanks, Team Extra!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

AriadneThread posted:

rest in peace, nine-gear crow

I'm only here till we find a proper replacement mod. In the interim, I shall strive to be an improper replacement mod.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat extra credits finally made a good video.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Junpei Hyde posted:

Just general liberal failings of not understanding class issues basically and she gets obnoxious about it sometimes. IDK if she's ever done anything worse

Kim Justice posted:

She used to be an active trans youtuber, now she tweets MovieBob style opinions about how working class people are scum. Quite dislikeable and trollish frankly.

Coongrats to nine gear crow. I implore you now, save us.
Actually, now I remember where I've heard the name. She said some questionable stuff after the August Ames suicide.

Also, Bob:
https://twitter.com/RespectElves/status/986511253290999809

EDIT: Oh wow, she actually literally said it, and that the replies are Russian bots:
https://twitter.com/ZJemptv/status/986013823948742668

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 18, 2018

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Actually, now I remember where I've heard the name. She said some questionable stuff after the August Ames suicide.

Also, Bob:
https://twitter.com/RespectElves/status/986511253290999809

That's just the way it is man, that's just the way it is.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB6mt2ptFmM

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Maybe. I mean, I can see it but I'm in no position to judge if those people are serious or not. With poo poo like this (among other things), can you really poke fun at those people?

Except if you read the article, the report is not actually suggesting companies not cure diseases as the title implies?

Goldman Sachs Report posted:

To get around the sustainability issue overall, the report suggests that biotech companies focus on diseases or conditions that seem to be becoming more common and/or are already high-incidence. It also suggests that companies be innovative and constantly expanding their portfolio of treatments. This can “offset the declining revenue trajectory of prior assets." Lastly, it hints that, as such cures come to fruition, they could open up more investment opportunities in treatments for “disease of aging.”

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm only here till we find a proper replacement mod. In the interim, I shall strive to be an improper replacement mod.

Replace lornecates with lornecates

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

Except if you read the article, the report is not actually suggesting companies not cure diseases as the title implies?

The article, as it quotes the report, talks about revenue stream as the patient pool dwindles. You know, very OK and good questions to ask (if you're a sociopath). It treats patients as customers instead of people in need of treatment.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Puppy Time posted:

Replace lornecates with lornecates

Nah that meltdown was disqualifying

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Make LK mod, and by LK I mean LordKat

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Did these people forget that many many white working class people voted for Obama?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sponges posted:

Did these people forget that many many white working class people voted for Obama?

They're working from a definition that includes "the middle class" i.e. people making up to 250-300k, because that's what the Mark Lilla's of the world define it as and how it's generally used as a dogwhistle. From that premise, the vitriol makes sense. It's just a dumb definition of working class, really, and a problem of people fundamentally talking past each other as to what they mean because they're boiling complex economics to 240 characters.

(well, Bob is just an rear end in a top hat tbh)

A guy I was talking to on Twitter called the concept of a discreet "white working class" a discourse scam and it's a really apt description imo. It draws leftists and liberals alike into defending conceptions of working class that make no sense from a Marxist analytical perspective.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't even think it's including people that aren't actually working class. i think they can't grasp that college educated, economically comfortable white people are the base for our dumbest president. it's much easier to pass it off on those uneducated bumpkins who don't know any better. it's far more horrific to realize it's the white people living in the suburbs and exurbs even in deep blue states like mine that voted for him.

it's also letting republicans and their voters off the hook as it were for trump. the myth that he is an aberration as opposed to the living embodiment of the southern strategy and a perfect encapsulation of what the right wing media machine turns people into.

the gop has been a white nationalist party for over half century and trump made that more obvious than ever and the media can't handle that because of their obsession with balance. it can't be tens of millions of white people voted for the most openly racist candidate in decades because they're racist. it has to be something else. anything else.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 19, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

They're working from a definition that includes "the middle class" i.e. people making up to 250-300k, because that's what the Mark Lilla's of the world define it as and how it's generally used as a dogwhistle. From that premise, the vitriol makes sense. It's just a dumb definition of working class, really, and a problem of people fundamentally talking past each other as to what they mean because they're boiling complex economics to 240 characters.

(well, Bob is just an rear end in a top hat tbh)

A guy I was talking to on Twitter called the concept of a discreet "white working class" a discourse scam and it's a really apt description imo. It draws leftists and liberals alike into defending conceptions of working class that make no sense from a Marxist analytical perspective.

Lol

I’m white working class. We consider people who make 250k a year rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

sponges posted:

Lol

I’m white working class. We consider people who make 250k a year rich.

imo anybody who makes six figures is rich, personally.