Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Received this email yesterday:

"I’m unable to access my email at the remote office. When I plug in the internet cord, my files on my network folder come up. But my internet isn’t working when I click on my outlook. But I’m able to access websites. I’m not sure what the issue is."

Please note that Outlook is not installed on her PC, and the email was sent from her work email account.
:psyduck: Any chance the PC has survived OS version upgrades and somehow has Outlook Express on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

he expects me to be on call 24/7

If that's the way he phrased it then :lol:

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I've been slowly laying the groundwork to quit; my wife and I are moving across the country this summer and she is taking a High School art teacher position this fall, so I am DEFINITELY LEAVING. The place I work for does not treat its employees well, removed all redundancy, is allergic to documentation , and is so aggressively siloed I regularly get requests from different departments to deliver the same information for identical projects that evolved independently.

Salient anecdote: They fired the lady I carpooled with over the phone while she was at her uncle's funeral on pre-approved bereavement leave. This was just the poo poo frosting on the cake of injustice they served her, slice by slice, over the last few years.

Anyway, I had to email my boss Monday that my wife and I are flying out west last minute for all of next week (she's interviewing and we're looking at places to live). He was cool about it, but I knew he was getting the idea my departure was perhaps more imminent and certain than he thought. On Tuesday, an-IT staff meeting was called and I assumed it was to ask me about my plans and figuring out backfill and the transition. Instead, the CIO announced his resignation at the end of July and that my manager would be assigned his responsibilities (and promoted?).

After the meeting my manager came to my office and laughingly said, "wow, I was not expecting that. You aren't leaving anytime soon, right, hahaha". We had an awkward conversation, but he is a genuinely good person, so he told me to do what was best for me and to try and give him as much transition time I could, even via cross-country telework.

I feel like garbage because our company is currently in the midst of a stupid number of concurrent IT projects; with the CIO and I leaving at the same time, and our barebones IT staff, that means my manager is suddenly responsible for three jobs that should probably have been 6+ to begin with.

Current IT staff:
  1. CIO(charts and 10 year forecasts)-Leaving
  2. My Manager (network,homebrew CMS, integrations, compliance, contracts, space selection, a billion other things)
  3. Me (data analyst, report writer, some automation, "tasks as assigned", lovely AMS workaround expert (such as when they had me re-write an error message to look like a success message :matters:)) - leaving
  4. Database Admin (absolutely only a database admin, very focused and narrow skill set)
  5. Help Desk/Sharepoint guy 1
  6. Help Desk/Sharepoint guy 2

We also have a contract with a support vendor, but they are solely responsible for our off-premise servers.

In the next year the IT/data team is responsible for:
  • Migrating our AMS system from a piece of garbage to a SalesForce environment with no/minimal downtime
  • New laptop rollout to all staff
  • IT infrastructure purchasing and planning for the construction of a new headquarters across town, and moving to it
  • Helping develop a new dues structure for our membership and board.
  • Helping revamp the bylaws to completely reconfigure the board (don't ask)
  • Creating a number of new, unnecessary integrations to our current poo poo AMS for the remaining 12-18 months before reconfiguring those integrations AGAIN into our new SF environment
  • Implementing an LMS we had no say in choosing, integrating it with current poo poo AMS and then the SF system
  • ...and everything every IT team is dealing with (gdpr, constant security issues and patches, etc.)

The CIO stated he would be reachable via phone through October to help with the laptop roll out.

I have no idea how they will replace me, not because I am particularly great, but because I've been here 12 years, slowly growing into and being assigned a variety of responsibilities, some of which I complained loudly I was grossly unqualified for before shrugging, cashing the paycheck, and doing it anyway. I mean, they'll be fine, they're huge and rich as hell, but there's a lot of good people here whose lives are gonna suck for a while, mostly my manager.

At least I don't have to hear department heads constantly ask if we could just get rid of the unsubscribe footer on our emails, or having to answer a call from our corporate counsel to explain to him how our board elections work, or being asked for things that break causality:
:downs: If 10 people buy registrations from the company, they should all get 20% discounts at the time of purchase, even if they buy them individually over the course of several months.
:confused: So if I buy a registration today, and 9 other people in my company buy registrations next month in the future, I should get 20% off when I check out right now, in the present?
:downs: Yes.
:confused: ... how would that work?
:downs: That's IT's job to figure out. You're smart.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 19, 2018

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

Larchesdanrew update:

Our PR guy had a nervous breakdown and specifically cites the director as the cause.

After nearly 3 years I have finally completed the card access project.

:siren:The Director is about two weeks away from accepting a position as superintendent in another city:siren:

He has become unbearable and his most likely replacement is the nicest guy I have ever met.

I have been offered a job as technology director for the engineering school at a college. It pays $20k more than I make here with regular raises and bonuses. Word is that it’s extremely laid back and they have more money than they know how to spend. I’ll also have employees again :allears:

Things are shaping up nicely.

I would like to hug you one of these days. Like, I wanna just be all like "Larches! Get over here, buddy!" and give you a big-rear end bearhug.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Aphasian posted:

I feel like garbage because

nope nope nope it's not on you

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
So, the company we provide managed services for has their users (at least all the techs) login with a generic account. We didn't think much of it, but found out today that apparently it is a domain account and if someone gets it locked out, it locks it out for everyone in the company using it. Also, the password is incredibly easy to guess if you know the username. This is dumb as hell, but especially since the company is a hospital. What could go wrong there?

The Aphasian posted:

:words:

What's up, leaving soon buddy? It's OK to feel a little bad for your co-workers, but please file their future issues away as Not Your Problem. Enjoy your escape from such a lovely place.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

This isn't on you. It may suck for coworkers you like, but that super is not your concern. Having empathy for the poo poo they'll have to deal with until they move on is totally cool, just don't pin it as "your fault".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jaded Burnout posted:

nope nope nope it's not on you

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This is the most supportive thread on the forums

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Aphasian posted:

I feel like garbage because our company is currently in the midst of a stupid number of concurrent IT projects;

You owe them no emotional attachment or investment, feel good because you are leaving for something better and they have one less person to treat like poo poo.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Your manager is probably making a lot of money off the situation, and can always quit if he/she can't handle it anymore.

It really is not your problem. The company don't care about you, they only care about the work that has to be done. If it's you or someone else, don't care, go with the cheapest one that won't make a fuzz about being worked to death.

Good luck finding somewhere to live and a new job!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

Because we’ve all “seen some real poo poo, man” and wished we had someone who would just listen and/or give advice. Even if it’s “hey, it will get better, just hang in there” or being a fresh set of eyes to look dispassionately and say “hmm... that’s a mighty deep well you’re in, want some advice on climbing out?”

I love these forums.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've also left several places after years of being there, thinking I owed something to the projects, and guess what, they got it done just fine without me.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
They can always take your paycheck and give it to a consulting company that will call them crazy and do the work anyway with no sweat off their back.

If the company wants to succeed, they'll find ways to do it. As much as it's engrained in you that you personally are the key to their it department, every other it department doesn't have you and they get along fine. Don't worry about leaving.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
A colleague at the old job said to me "If the company can make more money without you, you'll be gone, no matter how well you perform or are liked"

Do not hesitate to further your own career

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Weedle posted:

Thanks fellow sufferers. Stockholm Syndrome is real.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Sefal posted:

This is the truth. It's just business. Your relationship with work is just business; you aren't married. What matters is what you get out of it rather than what they do.

edit: He says from the bottom of his well.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Proteus Jones posted:

Because we’ve all “seen some real poo poo, man” and wished we had someone who would just listen and/or give advice. Even if it’s “hey, it will get better, just hang in there” or being a fresh set of eyes to look dispassionately and say “hmm... that’s a mighty deep well you’re in, want some advice on climbing out?”

I love these forums.

How many of y’all can say they’ve had a mentor at some point in your career?

Having worked at small or one-person shops for the most of my formative years, I’m pretty much entirely self-taught and have found new positions entirely on merit and not on whom I knew.

Is this typical of us here?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Is this where I ask about different app/service packages and suggestions?

If so, I have questions about live polling (like sli.do or Engageform) for a non-profit to use during presentations and focus groups and such. I can expand here or in PM if anyone has experiences with them.

If not, FORGET THIS EVER HAPPENED.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

El Jebus posted:

Sure. Just submit a ticket.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Having worked at small or one-person shops for the most of my formative years, I’m pretty much entirely self-taught and have found new positions entirely on merit and not on whom I knew.

I've had de facto mentors for several chunks of my career; people who knew a lot about a specific subject and passed that knowledge on.

I'm not sure that mentoring automatically leads to nepotism like you suggest.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Agrikk posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. Coming from MSPs, I have never really had a mentor.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Agrikk posted:

Sure. Just submit a ticket.

My mouse isn't working, whats the help desk number again?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. Coming from MSPs, I have never really had a mentor.

I have the opposite experience at mine, our technical architect is some scary robot that remembers literally everything and gladly passes any and all knowledge down, I've learned so much from him.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Aunt Beth posted:

:psyduck: Any chance the PC has survived OS version upgrades and somehow has Outlook Express on it?

Nope, good ole Win7. I basically told her "Dont use Outlook" and haven't heard from her since. :iiam:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Agrikk posted:

I so deeply wished to have had a mentor over my career but this forum has been the primary mentor throughout (seriously; I've been on SA for 15 loving years :captainpop: )

I would LOVE to have a career sensei but so far it's been all self taught and just learning as I go.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sometimes the mentor you were looking for was inside you all along.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Yeah but a complaint to HR and he got fired.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

El Jebus posted:

If so, I have questions about live polling (like sli.do or Engageform) for a non-profit to use during presentations and focus groups and such. I can expand here or in PM if anyone has experiences with them.

If not, FORGET THIS EVER HAPPENED.

Does this get you close to where you need to be?

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6386827

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

While I've had a couple bosses who have been really cool and skilled, the expectation of the field seems to be that you can go off and train yourself for technical need of the moment.

MF_James posted:

I have the opposite experience at mine, our technical architect is some scary robot that remembers literally everything and gladly passes any and all knowledge down, I've learned so much from him.

You want to be in the position of being this robot to your coworkers if you can. I would not call it mentoring unless you're regularly doing one-on-one meetings.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

18 Character Limit posted:

While I've had a couple bosses who have been really cool and skilled, the expectation of the field seems to be that you can go off and train yourself for technical need of the moment.

You want to be in the position of being this robot to your coworkers if you can. I would not call it mentoring unless you're regularly doing one-on-one meetings.

Well, it goes farther than that, he will sit and spend time explaining X to me, even if I'm hardheaded and it takes forever me to get to the understanding point.

I just conveyed it poorly in the 5 seconds I took to type a thing, he's not regurgitating client information to me (though he does that as well, and some very obscure poo poo that happened once 5 years ago that came up again), but actually explaining to me the what and why's of things.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Does this get you close to where you need to be?

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/6386827

Yeah, that’s almost perfect. Thanks!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Walked posted:

I so deeply wished to have had a mentor over my career but this forum has been the primary mentor throughout (seriously; I've been on SA for 15 loving years :captainpop: )

I would LOVE to have a career sensei but so far it's been all self taught and just learning as I go.

Basically this. SA has provided me with so much goddamn great info and advice, its ridiculous. All hail the dead gay forums.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

And also some terrible advice; people have the habit of looking at a question you've asked and assuming anything not in the question is something you're ignorant of and/or loving up and provide an answer that addresses those fictional issues instead.

But yes, a more comprehensive bunch I have never met.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Sefal posted:

A colleague at the old job said to me "If the company can make more money without you, you'll be gone, no matter how well you perform or are liked"

As a friend recently put it, "Don't work yourself to death for a company that can replace you before you're buried."

I support a relatively obscure training platform in an area a couple dozen miles from a major city. When I left my last job, I predicted that they'd be in deep trouble trying to replace me quickly. They interviewed the new guy before my last day and he was hired the following month. (At a much higher salary than I got, so at least I hope that stung them a little.)

Moral of the story: take care of you. People who care about the company mission will find a way to make things work after you leave, and people who are lovely will continue to be lovely.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have learned a great deal from these forums, and have received a lot of help over the years over esoteric issues.

debdrup, factory factory, many others...

Thank you all :)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Lots of Emails Came in ::

we're moving to google for email. format is firstname.middleinitial.lastname at ourschooldistrict.org

Teacher is complaining about "personal privacy issues" putting that info in their email address. Also CC'ing the local teacher's union.

Teacher was informed their first name, middle initial, and lastname are on the school's website in the staff directory.

I *want* to inform them if we type their first name and last name with (city) into google, they show up on a "neighbor report" website , with their address listed, and that they are 'constantly yelling racial profanities'. I also *want* to inform them that our county's Geographic Information Systems website has them listed (with first name, middle initial, and last name) as the owner of the property that's complained about. I also *want* to inform them that they have a publicly facing facebook profile, while not showing their middle initial, does have a photo of their car with license plate number clearly displayed. I also *want* to inform them that typing their name into a website that lists public records of government job payrolls not only shows their middle initial, but also earnings over the last decade.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Just do it. At least the neighbor thing. Please.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nerdrock posted:

Lots of Emails Came in ::

we're moving to google for email. format is firstname.middleinitial.lastname at ourschooldistrict.org

Teacher is complaining about "personal privacy issues" putting that info in their email address. Also CC'ing the local teacher's union.

Teacher was informed their first name, middle initial, and lastname are on the school's website in the staff directory.

I *want* to inform them if we type their first name and last name with (city) into google, they show up on a "neighbor report" website , with their address listed, and that they are 'constantly yelling racial profanities'. I also *want* to inform them that our county's Geographic Information Systems website has them listed (with first name, middle initial, and last name) as the owner of the property that's complained about. I also *want* to inform them that they have a publicly facing facebook profile, while not showing their middle initial, does have a photo of their car with license plate number clearly displayed. I also *want* to inform them that typing their name into a website that lists public records of government job payrolls not only shows their middle initial, but also earnings over the last decade.

That is something I'd suggest reporting to the headmaster/principal of your school at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is something I'd suggest reporting to the headmaster/principal of your school at the very least.

Nah. a) that'd be up to our boss, and b) a random posting on a random internet page is not always something actionable. Imagine if any teacher anywhere could be brought down by some kid posting something untrue on the internet. There's always posts in city-based anonymous forums about teachers. *Most* of those posts are usually untrue.

Edit : Example : My wife is a teacher. She says if 100 percent of your students love you, then you're not doing your job properly. Most of her students love her, but there are always exceptions. She's had both positive posts, and outlandish negative claims posted about her on similar anonymous internet sites.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 19, 2018