Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Thank you Gambi for the exposition dump for Tobias, Syonide and Khalil. I guess she's not a lizard person :ms:

Tons of exposition this episode that could have been sprinkled throughout the season, but that's just a minor complaint. And it's not like the season was poorly paced or anything.

:rip: Lala again.

I am glad this show got renewed for another season.

That scene where Tobias decided to out of nowhere nickname Khalil and Lala was pretty amusing, too. It's like the writers realized they never got around to that, so welp, better do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm glad everyone survived. Especially Tobias. Krondon is a loving gift to this show :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I look forward to seeing what Tobias does with Marcellus Wallace's soul.

And my vote for best line of the night has to be
:rolleyes: "Wow." :science:
I'm easy to please.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wow they really just fuckin executed mini-Trump didn't they :stare:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Wow they really just fuckin executed mini-Trump didn't they :stare:

The Arrowverse has become an industrial clearing house for dunking on Trump in absentia.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
That was a wonderful episode and I'm so glad this show is getting at least another season.

Dunking mini-Trump was hilarious, especially when he was in the middle of a racist rant and just got sat the gently caress down.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm glad everyone survived. Especially Tobias. Krondon is a loving gift to this show :allears:

Seriously, Krondon is absolutely stellar.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Slamhound posted:

Seriously, Krondon is absolutely stellar.

I showed a friend of mine the "Do you believe in the Resurrection, Latavius?" scene a while back and they were quite impressed and said they'd check out Black Lightning after they got through catching up with Supergirl and Legends.

Also goddamn that scene makes me miss Joey Toledo. Him and Syonide together made one striking double act.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The real question of this episode is why can't the the ASA/vice principle afford an interface better than some 1993 MS-DOS poo poo?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Catfishenfuego posted:

The real question of this episode is why can't the the ASA/vice principle afford an interface better than some 1993 MS-DOS poo poo?

Because it's the government and it's a pain in the rear end to update poo poo.

There's a lot of hooks for an S2 which is really good and I hope it either stays in its own universe or is independent from Arrow/Flash's/Legends universe. Supergirl's universe would work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only thing I didn't like about that episode was going through all that effort to bring Lala back to life and then he just blows himself up.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

muscles like this! posted:

The only thing I didn't like about that episode was going through all that effort to bring Lala back to life and then he just blows himself up.

He ain't dead; no body was shown.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ApeHawk posted:

He ain't dead; no body was shown.

Yup. Next season he'll have a tattoo of himself though.

e: And he'll literally be talking to himself as well.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Lot to take in this episode: *deep breath*

• Syonide's origin story and powers :black101:
  • Lala becoming the new Tattooed Man
  • Jennifer continues to be delightful
  • "Wow."
  • SHOCKWAVE STOMP

*exhales*

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So did I mishear Lynn, or did she say "Never mind, I know someone who can help" before they jump cut to the kids being saved? It's probably a S2 hook but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

So did I mishear Lynn, or did she say "Never mind, I know someone who can help" before they jump cut to the kids being saved? It's probably a S2 hook but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Idk if the kids were saved, but it definitely cut to the news next. Maybe she just had a reporter friend who could expose the experimentation and all those poor kids died

But yea it was definitely an awkward transition so I'm wondering if I missed something super obvious.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Pretty sure it was just talking about exposure through the news.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I assumed media exposure allowing her lab to publicly take the victims to care for and try to help. But that's guesswork, not subtle clues or anything.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Idk if the kids were saved, but it definitely cut to the news next. Maybe she just had a reporter friend who could expose the experimentation and all those poor kids died

But yea it was definitely an awkward transition so I'm wondering if I missed something super obvious.

Scientist Man said the only way to actually save the box kids was with whatever was in Proctor’s briefcase. Which Tobias now has, and seems very happy to have. The implication going into season 2 is that Tobias is gonna try to use whatever the hell’s in the briefcase to try and harvest himself a potential army of metas rather than have to spend millions making more artificial ones like Syonide, Painkiller and Lala.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, that was an absolutely terrible end to the season. It's like they only just realised they were on the last episode and had to suddenly wrap everything up. The early episodes were really good, but the season as a whole was just a lot of wasted potential. Most of what happened ended up being irrelevant, and after holding off on explaining the bad guys' powers all season they just suddenly go "it's super-expensive cutting edge technology - yes, even the guy who died and came back to life with magic hallucination tattoos". And it ends with a big fight between all the good guys and all the bad guys, and somehow rescuing the metahuman kids off-screen and without explanation.

And the main bad guy they beat wasn't even the one they spent most of the season building up. I know they want Tobias to still be around in season two, but the guy they actually ended up beating was just some ridiculous caricature that seemed more like one of the lackeys the Green Arrow defeats in a single mid-season episode before he figures out who the real bad guy is.

And what was the point of Black Lightning losing his powers if he was just going to get them back again as soon as he needed them? What was the point of him being in a coma for half the episode when it didn't actually change anyone's plans? Was it just so they could shoehorn the flashbacks in? What did the flashbacks even tell us that we didn't already know? This episode was both rushed and padded.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Well, that was an absolutely terrible end to the season. It's like they only just realised they were on the last episode and had to suddenly wrap everything up. The early episodes were really good, but the season as a whole was just a lot of wasted potential. Most of what happened ended up being irrelevant, and after holding off on explaining the bad guys' powers all season they just suddenly go "it's super-expensive cutting edge technology - yes, even the guy who died and came back to life with magic hallucination tattoos". And it ends with a big fight between all the good guys and all the bad guys, and somehow rescuing the metahuman kids off-screen and without explanation.

And the main bad guy they beat wasn't even the one they spent most of the season building up. I know they want Tobias to still be around in season two, but the guy they actually ended up beating was just some ridiculous caricature that seemed more like one of the lackeys the Green Arrow defeats in a single mid-season episode before he figures out who the real bad guy is.

And what was the point of Black Lightning losing his powers if he was just going to get them back again as soon as he needed them? What was the point of him being in a coma for half the episode when it didn't actually change anyone's plans? Was it just so they could shoehorn the flashbacks in? What did the flashbacks even tell us that we didn't already know? This episode was both rushed and padded.

Wait that was the last episode of the season?

Huh. Kind of a wet fart of an ending.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiggum posted:

Glad to see you survived your fun-ectomy, hope you get well soon :ohdear:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Mostly agreed, aside from it being terrible.

quote:

This season was about the demons of the past. Gambi facing his old sins and guilt rather than hiding from them, Lynn trying to balance being a supportive parent/spouse with her fears that the worst day of her life would happen again, Jefferson's inability to protect his father and old anger at the world, and Tobias shedding his old role as another pawn of the ASA frustrated with his leash to actually being in control. Proctor was a caricature because that's all he had to be; the spectre of a controlling conspiracy that gets knocked over as the characters grow from being pawns into being players.

quote:

"What makes a hero is what they do without their powers" is a trope as old as time. He loses them so that he can make a heroic sacrifice to save his family, which spurs Jennifer to give them back. And the coma/flashbacks are for the aforementioned theme of exorcising old demons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I think there's been some pacing issues and this finale felt very compressed and like they threw a bunch of exposition in and glossed over some big stuff.

But how do you do not see that the point of Jefferson losing his powers was to empower Jennifer as a hero? And that Jefferson's coma let us meet his father and had him face his own guilt about his dad's death and find some personal peace. I thought it was some of the best parts of the episode.

Along with Tobias just fully embracing being a comic book villain and handing out codenames and knocking down pieces while cackling. I'm glad him and his team survived.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I think there's been some pacing issues and this finale felt very compressed and like they threw a bunch of exposition in and glossed over some big stuff.

But how do you do not see that the point of Jefferson losing his powers was to empower Jennifer as a hero? And that Jefferson's coma let us meet his father and had him face his own guilt about his dad's death and find some personal peace. I thought it was some of the best parts of the episode.

Along with Tobias just fully embracing being a comic book villain and handing out codenames and knocking down pieces while cackling. I'm glad him and his team survived.

Syonide is a delight as a legbreaker heavy and I hope she stays on the show forever. :allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was a little worried she wouldn't deliver when she stopped lurking in the background and started talking and kicking rear end but I was delighted by the results.

Also I love that Khalil's origin story basically plays out as...

Khalil: I'm angry at everything!
Tobias: Its Black Lightning's fault because... whatever, I can make you walk.
Khalil: I'm in. So why's Black Lightning the bad guy?
Tobias: gently caress it, we're the bad guys. But you walk now and have poison blood so what are you gonna do? Shut up and get in line or Syonide will shoot you.
Khalil: Ok.

That whole crew is just comic book villains in my absolute favorite way.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 22, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I was a little worried she wouldn't deliver when she stopped lurking in the background and started talking and kicking rear end but I was delighted by the results.

Also I love that Khalil's origin story basically plays out as...

Khalil: I'm angry at everything!
Tobias: Its Black Lightning's fault because... whatever, I can make you walk.
Khalil: I'm in. So why's Black Lightning the bad guy?
Tobias: gently caress it, we're the bad guys. But you walk now and have poison blood so what are you gonna do? Shut up and get in line or Syonide will shoot you.
Khalil: Ok.

That whole crew is just comic book villains in my absolute favorite way.

This is why I want Joey Toledo back.

“What’s your super power?” / “I dress like a hipster and kick the poo poo out of people. Really hard.”

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We never really got an answer as to the weird poo poo Lady Eve was doing and I feel like that's something S2 should go into at some point if only because she was a really good presence as a villain.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That was a really good season of television. I think the show could have really used one more episode though - move the Pierce in a coma stuff with all the flashbacks and whatnot into the penultimate episode to give the final showdown more breathing room.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I noticed and now can’t not notice whenever he’s onscreen that Krondon’s eyes seem to be vibrating really quickly, like he’s constantly whipping them back and forth just a tiny bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Phylodox posted:

I noticed and now can’t not notice whenever he’s onscreen that Krondon’s eyes seem to be vibrating really quickly, like he’s constantly whipping them back and forth just a tiny bit.

Nystagmus is common with albinism.

• Locked thread