Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

My thing is you get too comfortable. You're too relaxed to pay perfect attention. I like the middle ground. Nice seats, but not reclining. I'm more focused on the movie.

Also I get super indecisive about how I want to sit so I keep adjusting it, and I can't imagine it's not annoying to the person next to you.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Not having assigned seating in every Cinema basically makes you a third world country. If I can't snag the best seats long before the movie and then arrive at the last minute I wouldn't go see any movies.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How do you watch movies at home? Cause I imagine most of us are splayed out on a couch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vintersorg posted:

How do you watch movies at home? Cause I imagine most of us are splayed out on a couch.

If I lay down, I start to space out and stop caring about the movie. Usually I'll throw on something disposable or something I've seen before if I'm just chillin.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eezee posted:

Not having assigned seating in every Cinema basically makes you a third world country. If I can't snag the best seats long before the movie and then arrive at the last minute I wouldn't go see any movies.

With movie pass you cannot do this! :v:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Maybe you should try Adderall at the movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just sit up and it's all good.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Fifth dinosaur movie looking real bad.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I make my girlfriend stand in the living room when forcing her to watch important movies from my childhood.

Nobody is falling asleep during Better Off Dead I guarantee it. Not even during the claymation sequence.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The first Jurassic World was a horrific experience, I will not be fooled this time (watch it make $1B in the first 20 minutes of release)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shneak posted:

The first Jurassic World was a horrific experience, I will not be fooled this time (watch it make $1B in the first 20 minutes of release)

geez i mean i guess it could be considered scary to some people ie: children but drat dude

weird since you have a scary clown movie avatar!!!

edit: jesus gently caress vvvvvv

Deakul fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 19, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

I like my seats to be so cush I end up making GBS threads my pants.

Props, too, if there's a sewage reclamation unit in the seat so I don't have to get up after making GBS threads.

Vintersorg posted:

Can you please go into why? I find it to be an infinitely better experience than the previous seats that were standard.

I'm not saying anyone has to feel this way, I'm just picky as hell. I like my seats low-backed and squeaky, and unless I'm watching something that originally released pre-surround (which is sometimes better in the balcony), I normally like to be sitting somewhere with the feeling of looking up at a screen that dwarfs me, so stadium seating kind of sucks in my book. Stadium seating is the mark of a bad multiplex, where screens are too small and you're still paying above first-run prices for second-run experiences.

La-Z-Boy theaters and reserved seating, among other things, run contrary to just about everything I love about the theater experience, and I didn't really start to appreciate the particulars of that experience until I was watching movies in India where the reserved seating model is standard. Disparities of wealth in India are extreme, to say the least, especially since the new economic models of the 90s gained a foothold and essentially bulldozed the culture and public infrastructure. Nevertheless, those economic trends are a depressingly warped mirror of the kinds of inequality we have developed and fostered in the states.

There are enough transparent income barriers in India that I can confidently state that movies there are usually only seen by families of a certain wealth status, and the more one pays for the service the more one is 'feted' with luxury and convenience. In essence there is no public in this model, no communal experience. It is a highly stratified environment, the worst parts of religious/racial/income caste systems all in one room. There's the legless man sitting on a plastic bucket outside the gate to the mall asking for a few rupees, there are the metal detectors in the doorway separating the dust of the street from the clinical white tile of the interior, the guards with wands and machine pistols, and at the top of 5 or 6 glass escalators there is the banality of The Avengers.

Balls-deep cupholders, adjustable headrests, footrests, vibrators, food tables, table service, 3D glasses, etc ...are people more concerned with the circumstantial luxury of their experience than with the film itself, and why might that be the case? This luxury model works fine with films that nullify and pacify the audience using intensified continuity and vfx overstimulation. So, huge blockbusters essentially, 90% of the take. Are ticket prices so high because everyone wants/needs new luxury in order to withstand the mediocrity of a Marvel film with poo poo-tier writing and cinematography? Would ticket prices be lower if people were more interested in novel film rather than the spa experience with bad tv playing in the background?

Very few works of provocative cinema make me want to relax or recline at all, and many involve a certain innate stress. Movies like Loveless, Phantom Thread, Moonlight, 12 Years a Slave, Mulholland Drive, There Will Be Blood, Blue is the Warmest Color, A Separation, mother!, In the Mood for Love, Zodiac, Irreversible...don't seek to coddle and comfort you through the boredom of the scripted cgi action scenes and superman-matrix laser battles with zero actual choreography. Wall-E had it right, you only need a recliner if you're already a physical/mental blob. :goonsay:

I go to the theater to witness novelty, for sure, but I also go to be with the crowd and experience collective sensation, not be walled off from it. Otherwise, I'd stay home, and I don't see the point in remaking the theater experience in the image of the home-theater experience. I enjoy the tension of trying to find seats early in a crowd of 400 people, actually talking to and negotiating with strangers over minutia, and the sense that everyone is doing their best to respect and respond to the the film in a way that's both communal and personal. A huge, dark rear end room with a bunch of strangers all ping-ponging off of each other, that type of nervous tension only serves to enhance the ride of something like Fury Road, where everyone is going out of their way to be excited while being stuffed into a room on opening night.

That being said, the real magic to me is that while individuality is somewhat suspended in a crowd of strangers, the idiosyncrasies, the random quips, the push-pull of crowd behavior are part of the fun and humanity of the theater experience. That experience is collective, but also somewhat random and chaotic, it's the same price for almost everyone, and it's anathema to a system that seeks to stratify and overindulge. So to me general seating actually represents a lot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 19, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

As uncomfortable as possible while drinking beer and eating pizza

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

I only watch movies on the toilet with my phone

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean, I get the nostalgia and camaraderie of the movie-going experience of yesteryear but you can't blame them for trying to re-create your living room experience when people are increasingly preferring their living room to waiting in line and sitting on gum.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Don’t remember this being posted in the last thread, but it’s opening this weekend, at least here in Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMHpWCN0byw

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I have no idea how to respond to that. But ok.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Try criticizing a lot of things that are not where your rear end goes

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Deakul posted:

geez i mean i guess it could be considered scary to some people ie: children but drat dude

weird since you have a scary clown movie avatar!!!

:chloe:

I can find scarier movies but not many that are dumber than JW.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

I mean, I get the nostalgia and camaraderie of the movie-going experience of yesteryear but you can't blame them for trying to re-create your living room experience when people are increasingly preferring their living room to waiting in line and sitting on gum.

True enough. RIP my dead gay cinema

Vintersorg posted:

:)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Nah, that’s the right response. People are different and enjoy things different ways.

It’s cool.

We’re cool, right?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Didn’t the raptors in III have some kind of feathering? Probably misremembering, but not so curious to find out :v:

In 2001 it was still up in the air whether raptors had feathers, so the male raptors in 3 just had some quills.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Joe the Strummer posted:

I only watch movies on the toilet with my phone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The man has spoken.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Each rear end to their own.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

A Trillion years.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
You can still go to theaters with lovely seats in NYC. And they always have the best movies (film forum)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The ancient movie house I saw Inland Empire in a few months back, sitting behind a Harlem Globetrotter and surrounded by IPA-sipping adjunct professors as my back seized up, was a much purer and more egalitarian cinematic experience than half-price ticket night at the Regal down the block where the stadium seating gave me a full view of all the teenagers giving each other handies

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Byzantine posted:

In 2001 it was still up in the air whether raptors had feathers, so the male raptors in 3 just had some quills.

The dinosaur movie you deserve

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The city I used to live in the regular theatre had recliner seats, maybe only 10 to a row and you could get alcohol, all reserved seating and you still paid the regular movie price so you could get that experience for like $9 on Tuesdays. Now I live in a larger city and the only theatre that does this considers it a "VIP Experience" so it costs $25.

It's garbage. Theatres are garbage.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Ehh. First time I saw one of my favorite films ever was on a phone, a good 5 years ago or more. I was drawn in completely, and now own it in every medium possible, including an extremely limited edition one.

I confidently say I properly, fully, and completely saw the film that first time. I, of course, also got something from subsequent viewings which were not on a phone, but nothing can take away from the experience of a film so long as one is invested.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The theater I typically go to has reserved, reclining seats in every auditorium, but as I am very tall I rarely use that function because my legs just dangle awkwardly off the end of the footrest and it's uncomfortable

The theater I go to with friends (yes, different from the above because it's a pain in the rear end coordinating buying reserved seating in advance with a big group) has standard seating but the seats are so tightly packed that there's practically no legroom for me

What I am saying is that it sucks to be a tallperson at the movies :sigh:

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Halfway through reading peckerwood's screed against comfy seating I had to rush out and put on a chef's hat, just so that I could kiss my fingers with the requisite gusto when I got to the end. Delicious truth there.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I love going to a theater with a beanie two-seater because then I can lie down while watching movies.

Content:
Andrew Niccol of Gattaca and In Time is back at it with another retro-futurist noir dystopia. A detective investigate murders in a world where privacy does not exist anymore and all information about everyone is public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnc17atwaII

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I hate movie theaters, and usually only go once or twice a year. When I do go, you better believe I'm doing the reserved seats. I also watch most movies on my 17in laptop screen wearing headphones.

I guess I hate movies.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
count me as one of the people that likes the new comfy seats with leg room over the old cramped ones. I don't know about this reserved stuff, but man its nice having an actual chair to sit and some leg room rather than a bucket with my feet propped on the back of the chair in front of me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah the idea of wanting to be less comfortable when you watch movies is actively loving insane to me

There's no surcharge for it here, there's no weird separations or anything destroying the theater experience, it's literally just a loving normal theater except the seats are nicer

Like if you want to rag on a theater for loving with the theater experience, Alamo Drafthouse type places are way, way guiltier than theaters with goddamn recliner seats, and I saw loving Belladonna of Sadness at a Drafthouse so the idea that those kinds of places are for mushbrain babies is laughable regardless of their actual issues

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just don’t want to lay down while watching a movie unless I’m going to sleep.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I went to an Alamo Drafthouse in Houston (or maybe it was Katy...somewhere around Houston, at least) in December because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I guess from various things I'd heard, I had it built up in my head as the ultimate theater experience. But honestly it wasn't anything special. It didn't have reclining seats, there didn't seem to be anything notable about the screen over other theaters, their system for ordering food was loving archaic, etc. I wasn't impressed at all. I've been to at least a handful of theaters not named Alamo Drafthouse that impressed me way more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

I love going to a theater with a beanie two-seater because then I can lie down while watching movies.

Content:
Andrew Niccol of Gattaca and In Time is back at it with another retro-futurist noir dystopia. A detective investigate murders in a world where privacy does not exist anymore and all information about everyone is public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnc17atwaII

Why has Amanda Seyfried never had bangs before? She looks like 10 years younger, and completely different.