Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Are you really this thin-skinned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

imo anybody who makes six figures is rich, personally.

That

I mean if you're working on freaking 200k being working class then exactly what drugs are you on

If I was making 200k a year you'd never see me again, I'd be living it up in my own flat in Mayfair, not getting out of my pajamas except to go and get shitfaced in VIP bars and having cocaine for dinner

EDIT: Seriously, I've been around and in poverty here, seen it and done it, know plenty of people in that sort of situation. Which is why Bob's views are so utterly abhorrent to me and he can go insert an SMB3 cartridge up his urethra.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 19, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

As a white working class person from a rural area I resent a fat grotesque mockery of a human being like Movie Bob telling me I’m not a person

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Moviebob sounds as bad as he looks. People complain about Mike's plinkett voice, but nothing is more grating to my ears than his weird mishmashed accent. It's like nails on a chalk board.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

was movie robert the guy who made some of those cinema sins videos.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Groovelord Neato posted:

was movie robert the guy who made some of those cinema sins videos.

E: Nah, different Bob.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Moviebob sounds as bad as he looks

Agreed. His voice is grating as poo poo

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Max Wilco posted:

Actually, now I remember where I've heard the name. She said some questionable stuff after the August Ames suicide.

EDIT: Oh wow, she actually literally said it, and that the replies are Russian bots:

eesh, and blegh

Lightning Knight posted:

imo anybody who makes six figures is rich, personally.

Barring a tidal wave of debt and/or children it's a level of real and basic financial comfort at the very least

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: Nah, different Bob.

yeah i went and checked it's bobvids. i wish there was a channel that was just a rebuttal to every cinema sins video. i'd watch em all!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

White working class people sure are pieces of poo poo! Now let me tell you about my book! It’s about Super Mario Brothers 3! - Movie Bob

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 19, 2018

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Kim Justice posted:

She used to be an active trans youtuber, now she tweets MovieBob style opinions about how working class people are scum. Quite dislikeable and trollish frankly.

Violent J thought she was a college professor.

This is my favorite YouTube Atheism anecdote.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
six figures is rich but there's a gap between rich and 'where the gently caress did all this money come from' rich

i remember skimming a very long tumblr post that basically analogised it to 'the people you think of as rich have managed to get an entire cherry from the economy pie that you get crumbs of, and the very wealthiest people have a whole pie, which is a totally unimaginable amount of money to basically everyone else'

it's definitely not what anybody arguing in good faith should refer to as 'working class' anyway

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bennett helped co-write a book and he wanted to share the news.
Also, he took down the JW hat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ungulateman posted:

six figures is rich but there's a gap between rich and 'where the gently caress did all this money come from' rich

i remember skimming a very long tumblr post that basically analogised it to 'the people you think of as rich have managed to get an entire cherry from the economy pie that you get crumbs of, and the very wealthiest people have a whole pie, which is a totally unimaginable amount of money to basically everyone else'

it's definitely not what anybody arguing in good faith should refer to as 'working class' anyway
Yeah.

There are also huge differences in how that wealth is acquired; someone in the top 10% (which 100k personal income doesn't get you into, and 100k household income definitely doesn't) still gets most of their income from wages or a salary, while someone in the top 1% (or top 0.1%) gets income from cap gains. The last group is the one who have disproportionately benefited from the economic gains of the past few decades, even compared to people in the 1%.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah.

There are also huge differences in how that wealth is acquired; someone in the top 10% (which 100k personal income doesn't get you into, and 100k household income definitely doesn't) still gets most of their income from wages or a salary, while someone in the top 1% (or top 0.1%) gets income from cap gains. The last group is the one who have disproportionately benefited from the economic gains of the past few decades, even compared to people in the 1%.

Christ.

Kill the rich and spread their money around. Seriously

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sponges posted:

Christ.

Oh absolutely. My point is more about the specifics of wealth inequality, not that it exists and that it needs to be addressed.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The link to book is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1633537323/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_M461Ab8YM4M61

'Written by Chris Stuckmann. Contributions by Ernest Cline, Doug Walker, Robert Walker...'
:raise:

I am sort of curious as to what Doug and Rob contributed.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

sponges posted:

Christ.

:yeah:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

The link to book is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1633537323/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_M461Ab8YM4M61

'Written by Chris Stuckmann. Contributions by Ernest Cline, Doug Walker, Robert Walker...'
:raise:

I am sort of curious as to what Doug and Rob contributed.

Same with Ernest Cline.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Same with Ernest Cline.

That one actually makes a little sense; He definitely knows at least some old anime, because Robotech and Gundam both get mentions in Ready Player One, along with some general 80's Japanese properties like Ultraman.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Ernest Cline is like a successful version of MovieBob...from before he was openly eugenicist.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

Ernest Cline is like a successful version of MovieBob...from before he was openly eugenicist.

Ready Player One but it's about phrenology would be a pro read.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

Merlin's Movie Reviews are a surreal take (and possibly a commentary) on movie reviews. Though the later reviews do wuss out a bit by adding some text. I could explain it, but it's best if you just see for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4eWZYxw34

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/986743036209238016

Not good news for Totalbiscuit sadly.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Nerdwriter's neweset video on Lauryn Hill is kind of a mini masterpiece and a tour de force of editing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyjVu_IFKMc

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Honestly whenever I see Nerdwriter (god I hate that name) mentioned these days all I can think of is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD-YZbeajeY

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Conal Cochran posted:

Merlin's Movie Reviews are a surreal take (and possibly a commentary) on movie reviews. Though the later reviews do wuss out a bit by adding some text. I could explain it, but it's best if you just see for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4eWZYxw34

How did you wind up being one of the four dozen people to initially see that video to pass it along in the first place?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

A very unfortunate turn of events. His optimism and determination is admirable but I just hope he gets as much quality time with his family as he can right now. :(

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

A very unfortunate turn of events. His optimism and determination is admirable but I just hope he gets as much quality time with his family as he can right now. :(

Yeah.. maybe a miracle will happen but this does look like the end stage...

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
For people who are in the know about such things, how long do you think he might last at this point?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

khwarezm posted:

For people who are in the know about such things, how long do you think he might last at this point?

Really, it's hard to say especially as we don't know the full details of where else it's spread other than the spine...I have a friend who is four months into a six month prognosis and currently he appears to be just fine - but you don't know what comes next really and the worst part could frankly start any time...even if it may be months as opposed to years in TB's case he's still only 33, who knows what will happen with the trial.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That one actually makes a little sense; He definitely knows at least some old anime, because Robotech and Gundam both get mentions in Ready Player One, along with some general 80's Japanese properties like Ultraman.

Meh, he's one of those guys who only remembers the "nostalgic" franchises and doesn't know anything about the era, the context, the themes, the makers, etc. That is to say, someone without curiosity.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ah and now moviebob has moved on to doing virtually nothing but retweeting people saying he totally isn't wrong for hating poor people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Conspiracy Moviebob sounds and reads like a less entertaining version of Lazarus from the new Deus Ex games.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Meh, he's one of those guys who only remembers the "nostalgic" franchises and doesn't know anything about the era, the context, the themes, the makers, etc. That is to say, someone without curiosity.

Well, based on the intro I read in the Amazon preview, the whole thing seems to be centered around what he and his contributors found personally influential as opposed to larger media trends. So yeah, you seem to be right. I can't speak to most of the post-2000 titles listed but the 70s to 90s entries seem to largely be "this is what we had at our local Camelot/Sam Goody/Suncoast when I was growing up" with some Saturday Anime on SciFi thrown in. But even with that in mind there are some real weird holes in the list, and apparently the early 80's didn't happen. I'm a little tempted to see what they have to say about Roujin Z, the least entertaining of all SciFi channel anime offerings, but not enough to spend any money.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I bet they don't even talk about Rose of Versailles.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Well, based on the intro I read in the Amazon preview, the whole thing seems to be centered around what he and his contributors found personally influential as opposed to larger media trends. So yeah, you seem to be right. I can't speak to most of the post-2000 titles listed but the 70s to 90s entries seem to largely be "this is what we had at our local Camelot/Sam Goody/Suncoast when I was growing up" with some Saturday Anime on SciFi thrown in. But even with that in mind there are some real weird holes in the list, and apparently the early 80's didn't happen. I'm a little tempted to see what they have to say about Roujin Z, the least entertaining of all SciFi channel anime offerings, but not enough to spend any money.

I was just talking about Kline here, I don't know enough to say about the others. I do know Sage at least puts a bit of research into his stuff, talking about context and behind the scenes stuff from time to time. Not in-depth, but at least the interest in the larger media is there.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

fffuuuuuuck. I can't even imagine how hard that must be to deal with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was just talking about Kline here, I don't know enough to say about the others. I do know Sage at least puts a bit of research into his stuff, talking about context and behind the scenes stuff from time to time. Not in-depth, but at least the interest in the larger media is there.

At the very least one of his entries, Belladonna of Sadness, is about a 70s film that only in the past decade or so was released stateside in any form and seems like a pretty deep cut overall. There's also a clear line to be drawn from older series (namely Astro Boy, which the director of Belladonna also worked on) to it and beyond, so that's interesting. Never seen it myself though.

The majority of the list through the late 90's just strikes me as weird in a way that's barely even interesting to myself let alone anyone else. It's like a list curated to appeal to the nostalgia of 30-35+ year-old anime watchers who remember when selection sucked so you just sorta watched whatever you could find on VHS or cable. I guess that's not an inherently bad thing but from the title and the blurbs and most of the intro it's trying to sell itself as something a lot more comprehensive when what it is is a bunch of assuredly nice people talking about what they really liked on Cartoon Network when they were kids.