Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

BEFORE
- review the candidate's resume AND the job requisition. mark required skills on the resume and note any significant skill gaps.
- prepare and write down your questions. allocate 3-5 minutes for short answer, 10-15 for long answer/design, 20 for coding (i.e. you probably should leave the coding exercise to someone else)
  • describe some ubiquitous features of required tech (e.g. how do you define a subclass in java, what's a foreign key in SQL, where are system configuration files in Linux). these should be features that someone experienced in the tech would necessarily know from memory. I call these the "spell cat" questions.
  • design a solution to a simple problem using tech that they claim experience in that is relevant to the job (e.g. schematize a simple data model, create a "select/deselect all" UI)
  • describe a difficult work situation in their experience and how they dealt with it
  • if there are any significant skill gaps in the resume, ask whether they have experience with those.

DURING
- shake the candidate's hand, introduce yourself, and make small talk about something on their resume
- if the candidate blanks at a question, ask whether they understood. if they continue to blank, move on.
- don't ask questions touching on the candidate's race, sex, age, national origin, religion, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity/expression (e.g. "where are you from?", "when did you graduate high school?")

AFTER
- write up feedback promptly, with a hire/don't hire decision and brief reasons

I would add to during "don't be a dick". Even if the candidate is bombing at minute 5 in a 60 minute interview, don't mentally check out.

best case, they recover and maybe you change your mind. Worst case they get rejected but feel like things went fairly and they were treated with respect.

Fiedler posted:

This is a half-step removed from asking "what's your greatest weakness."

a weakness is a self-reflective ongoing thing, whereas technical/social conflicts and challenges are events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I recommend looking into behavioral interviewing, there's a bunch of lit on the subject now and it stems from a premise that previous behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. You see it in a lot of stereotypical questions these days, as they tend away from "what's your greatest weakness" to be more along the lines of "tell me about a time where X happened, how did you deal with that" where X is some no-win scenario like literally impossible deadlines or strong personalities on the team. It's telling what tools people use to deal with adversity, whether it's all nighters, or muddle with project scope, or simply watch the deadline come and go and let the PMs sort it out. Some workplaces you are more concerned about hiring people who are on their toes dealing with strong personalities than others.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TimWinter posted:

It's telling what tools people use to deal with adversity, whether it's all nighters, or muddle with project scope, or simply watch the deadline come and go and let the PMs sort it out.

Are you saying that people should be pulling all nighters when the PM fucks up and throws their reports under a bus?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

by pulling all nighters i hope you mean "couldn't sleep on an intercontinental flight"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

TimWinter posted:

strong personalities
Is this a euphemism for "assholes"?

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Peeny Cheez posted:

Is this a euphemism for "assholes"?

Yes. At least, it's what I mean when I say I have a strong personality.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

FamDav posted:

I would add to during "don't be a dick". Even if the candidate is bombing at minute 5 in a 60 minute interview, don't mentally check out.

best case, they recover and maybe you change your mind. Worst case they get rejected but feel like things went fairly and they were treated with respect.

This is worth saying twice. Interviews are hard already, and even if someone isn't a good fit for your team, they might be a good fit for someone else's or maybe in a handful of months they'll be perfect for a new role opening up. Don't preemptively burn a bridge just because a candidate isn't doing well on a particular fizz buzz, the world is too small for that.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
my strong rear end in a top hat is prob best asset in regards to making myself marketable

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TimWinter posted:

This is worth saying twice. Interviews are hard already, and even if someone isn't a good fit for your team, they might be a good fit for someone else's or maybe in a handful of months they'll be perfect for a new role opening up. Don't preemptively burn a bridge just because a candidate isn't doing well on a particular fizz buzz, the world is too small for that.

Your advice is highly specific to generalized programming roles where the team isn't fixed, like if you're hiring new grads. If you're hiring experienced people, what you want is extremely specific. I never hire someone experienced thinking "well they suck wrt the job description, but hey Paul's team might need him in 12 months".

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

our demand is so high in so many places that i would say yes to any non-idiot i encounter, even if their expertise is underwater basketweaving

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

qhat posted:

Your advice is highly specific to generalized programming roles where the team isn't fixed, like if you're hiring new grads. If you're hiring experienced people, what you want is extremely specific. I never hire someone experienced thinking "well they suck wrt the job description, but hey Paul's team might need him in 12 months".

you still shouldn't be a dick. even if they're not a fit for your specific position, they probably know someone who is and they're going to ask how your interviews go.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

It's official, office is closing, project cancelled. i get my yearly salary as a bonus to stay to the end of the year an then i can gently caress off

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 19, 2018

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

TimWinter posted:

"tell me about a time where X happened, how did you deal with that" where X is some no-win scenario like literally impossible deadlines or strong personalities on the team.

"Tell me about a time when you had conflict with a team member" translates to "the team you'll be joining contains at least one, but more likely two loudmouth assholes that no one can stand."

"Tell me about a time when you had an impossible deadline" translates to "this organization is in perpetual disarray and you'll be joining a team that's so far underwater your commute will involve scuba gear."

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FamDav posted:

you still shouldn't be a dick. even if they're not a fit for your specific position, they probably know someone who is and they're going to ask how your interviews go.

Tbh, I think I misread his post. Being a dick is obviously never a good thing, word of mouth actually happens and companies do lose candidates because of it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

HoboMan posted:

It's official, office is closing, project cancelled. i get my yearly salary as a bonus to stay to the end of the year an then i can gently caress off

polish off dat resume

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

never don’t

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

polish off dat resume

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

Fiedler posted:

"Tell me about a time when you had conflict with a team member" translates to "the team you'll be joining contains at least one, but more likely two loudmouth assholes that no one can stand."

"Tell me about a time when you had an impossible deadline" translates to "this organization is in perpetual disarray and you'll be joining a team that's so far underwater your commute will involve scuba gear."

"Tell me about an experience you had where an interviewer was clearly being passive aggressive. Like he thought your hair looked dumb."

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

ive showed up to interviews in purple or rainbow shirts and got the stink eye
i think i need to go buy some white shirts since i don't have any that fit anymore

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaman Linavi posted:

i think i need to go buy some white shirts since i don't have any that fit anymore

ah yes, the "birthday cake"

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
whats wrong with wearing purple?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Shaman Linavi posted:

whats the name of that technique in fabric where its mostly one color but with little flecks of a different color like that? I've always liked the way it looks

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

ADINSX posted:

whats the name of that technique in fabric where its mostly one color but with little flecks of a different color like that? I've always liked the way it looks

https://www.heddels.com/2013/09/knowing-your-raw-denim-slub-and-nep/

those shirts have rainbow nep, i don't know if there is an official name for it or something

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Been a week since Chipotle in person. Nothing. Think my recruiter is not telling me I got passed so I'll stick with them on other jobs?

They passed, no feedback.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 19, 2018

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

HoboMan posted:

Dam wish I’d got that deal to stay on the last 6 mos.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
one of the interviews I was in the interviewer asked a lot of questions that seemed to relate to my social class (if I owned a house and stuff like that)

not sure what to think about that

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
that's not a prohibited form of discrimination in the US, at the same time you are free to interrupt a discriminatory line of questioning with "I don't think that's relevant"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

one of the interviews I was in the interviewer asked a lot of questions that seemed to relate to my social class (if I owned a house and stuff like that)

not sure what to think about that

that’s either trying to determine how tied to the area you are or an engineering manager unable to make small talk about anything else

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gazpacho posted:

that's not a prohibited form of discrimination in the US, at the same time you are free to interrupt a discriminatory line of questioning with "I don't think that's relevant"

that’s a great way to get rejected

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

tbf that is every team and every organization

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s either trying to determine how tied to the area you are or an engineering manager unable to make small talk about anything else

it was an interview with an HR person, all the questions seemed prepared to judge something. like "what was the last programming book that you read".

also I learned that everyone in the IT department of the company works remote even if most of them live in the same city here. so the more I think about it the weirder it gets.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

I'm usually prepared to avoid certain questions in a strategic way (like "tell me your last/desired salary") but these questions caught me by complete surprise, I've never seen this before.

next time I won't be sincere and just lie my rear end off and mark this kind of thing as a huge red flag

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pollyanna posted:

that’s a great way to get rejected
yes, it is a great way

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
How do you get better at pulling object models out of your rear end, like "Sudoku! But really fast-like" without getting tripped up?

Also, for in persons, sometimes they ask you to sorta "30 thousand foot whiteboard" :airquote: front end components :airquote: - is this supposed to be like the syntax of vue or react pr something like Employee{ id=butt, dob = fart, name=baz,} ?

I haven't gotten bad feedback from this yet but I want to get better at it, especially the online screen share interviews where they want object models out lickety split.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The best advice on object analysis I ever saw comes from a book called doing hard time, a huge book that I remember nothing else about :

Your object model should capture the entities, operations, relationships without which any possible delivered system would be incorrect wrt the requirements

A soduku game without a board or starting positions is wrong. So those must be captured in your model

Ref:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22key+strategies+for+object+identification%22

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tbf that is every team and every organization

Nah, just the ones that are hiring.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Gazpacho posted:

The best advice on object analysis I ever saw comes from a book called doing hard time, a huge book that I remember nothing else about :

Your object model should capture the entities, operations, relationships without which any possible delivered system would be incorrect wrt the requirements

A soduku game without a board or starting positions is wrong. So those must be captured in your model

Ref:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22key+strategies+for+object+identification%22

OK But how do you poo poo one out and then implement methods in it in a live interview quickly?

Also an interview I thought I did poo poo on said I did good in. ARGH

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I don't know how to answer that in the abstract except: start from the general and build toward specifics.

one principle that might help you avoid bad guesses: the purpose of the object model is to write code around it. so, "operations" that will not reduce to code execution should not be part of the object model. in the common example of a parking garage system, drivers will park in spaces, but they're not going to call methods to do it, which means that that operation has no place in an software object model

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gazpacho posted:

I don't know how to answer that in the abstract except: start from the general and build toward specifics.

one principle that might help you avoid bad guesses: the purpose of the object model is to write code around it. so, "operations" that will not reduce to code execution should not be part of the object model. in the common example of a parking garage system, drivers will park in spaces, but they're not going to call methods to do it, which means that that operation has no place in an software object model

This is a whole lotta words that I didn't read any of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
something i've never seen written down anywhere is the general idea that you should split your classes into two broad categories: classes that represent data, and classes that transfer or transform that data. and don't mix the two in one class

so you'd have, say, a bunch of classes for an xml dom, and then a bunch of classes for parsing and serializing them.
or you'd have a bunch of data transfer objects and a bunch of repositories that load and save them.

what you shouldn't have is dom nodes that know how to serialize/deserialize themselves or database entity objects with .save() methods on them

one benefit of this is that it then becomes easy to make the data model objects immutable. also you don't have weird implicit dependencies everywhere.