Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Zharkoye seems pretty similar to a beef stew.

I didn't know est became "the forum". My stepmom was into that in the early 90s. She got my dad to do a weekend seminar. And then I did one as well. It was a lot about self empowerment from what I recall.

Am I the only one thinking Paige is going to end up having to seduce someone and that's going to lead to some problems?

Also rip Kirby Puckett. A mn sports hero forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gyshall posted:

Phillip literally preaching capitalism was quite a nice scene. Cabbage based foods, not so much.

"It smells delicious"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

phosdex posted:

Am I the only one thinking Paige is going to end up having to seduce someone and that's going to lead to some problems?

I very much suspect Claudia is going to tell Liz that Paige needs to "get close" to somebody and that will be the moment we know if Liz is really a true believer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
In the "coming up on this season" thing, we already saw Paige in bed next to some preppy-looking prick, looking uninterested and pensive.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Isn't that what college is all about? Getting terrible lays?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Keyser_Soze posted:

Phil needs to layoff some people and lease out the extra space or move the office to some suburban strip mall. If he makes it past 1992 he can start quoting "ALWAYS BE CLOSING" type motiviations to his staff.

He will also need to pre-emptively murder the Priceline/Hotwire/Expedia people.

Episode 1 of this season had the wolf of wallstreet poster where Phillip had parked his car. I'm sure he is all about the cash phrases.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

The Philip business stuff was weird because they spend so much time in S1 showing how he made it big and now suddenly he doesn't have money for school. :capitalism: I guess because there's no way losing a single private client in S2 should've caused them any issues.

And doesn't Liz still work there? So they should be still funneling money to her through the agency in any case. Maybe Philip can embezzle some of that sweet cash.

I don't really see Stan's GF being anything. It's been what, at least like 3 years and she sticks around just in case he mentions something classified? Who the hell would do that.

At this point Henry would be a way better second-gen agent at this point with an impressive school career. He'd basically have the background like loving Muller or Kerry with their fancy school and have a bunch of awesome references.

Also gently caress you golubtsy are good though not as good as dolma.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mobby_6kl posted:

least like 3 years and she sticks around just in case he mentions something classified? Who the hell would do that.

Liz would.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Hello, Control? Yes, it's been 3 years and he still won't shut up about adopting the neighbor's son."
"WELL KEEP AT IT THEN"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Stan is in a completely different department now what is there really to get. I mean I guess she could be working black agents wife or something.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Phil's money issues are easy to understand, since he left the spy business he needed something to occupy his time so he decided to expand the travel agency and took on more than he could chew and doesn't have the business to cover it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

banned from Starbucks posted:

Stan is in a completely different department now what is there really to get. I mean I guess she could be working black agents wife or something.

Russia in the 80s, especially in the mid 80s, was desperate to get any information at all. Any secret, if not tactically useful, can always be used for blackmail against the agent or the entire department.

E: Also, Stan is dealing with drugs and stuff now, and Russia had explicit connections to countries producing and exporting drugs to America.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Keyser_Soze posted:

Phil needs to layoff some people and lease out the extra space or move the office to some suburban strip mall. If he makes it past 1992 he can start quoting "ALWAYS BE CLOSING" type motiviations to his staff.

He will also need to pre-emptively murder the Priceline/Hotwire/Expedia people.

Just tell Elizabeth they're a threat to the great goals of the :ussr: and she'll handle the rest. Job done.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Okroshka, I think.Zharkoye. A good deal of them are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_dishes

They were talking about making Golubtsy and Solyanka.

Kvass was mentioned last season - that agricultural guy mentioned trying to make it for himself.

I didn't understand why she was insistent on either eating or pitching it. Short shelf life or paranoia?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CBJSprague24 posted:

I didn't understand why she was insistent on either eating or pitching it. Short shelf life or paranoia?

Paranoia, they can't keep anything Russian in the house.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

CBJSprague24 posted:

Paranoia. Zero clues that they're Russian.

It's also interesting how they're playing up the long-standing dichotomy between Philip's pragmatic view of what his country is, and Elizabeth's incredibly romanticized view. And how that dichotomy, like all of the other rifts in their life, is widening and preventing them from finding common ground.

I also like how throughout the series, Elizabeth smoking has been a short-hand for either 'on a mission' or 'terribly stressed' depending on context, and now, she's smoking constantly.

As for Philip needing to come to an arrangement with the school's bursar, I dunno. Could be just straight-up flavor to show that he's doing normal business stuff, could be laying groundwork that his business is having issues or expanded too fast, could be showing that he's hiding important life stuff from Elizabeth for whatever reason, likely in that case that he's taking all of the stress and difficulty of maintaining their civilian life over while she takes over the stress and difficulty of running all of the clandestine stuff, or could be a straight-up false flag he's doing on purpose to keep things looking legitimate. Even if the USSR is pumping cash into the business, they need to look 'normal,' and 'normal' businesses have slumps and cash flow issues all the time. "I call it "Gupta's Law of Creative Anomalies" - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Phil's money issues are easy to understand, since he left the spy business he needed something to occupy his time so he decided to expand the travel agency and took on more than he could chew and doesn't have the business to cover it.

I think this is more likely.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

...could be showing that he's hiding important life stuff from Elizabeth for whatever reason...

Well, he's tried to tell her about it, only to get the DEATH STARE hurled back at him. It's clearly obvious she resents the fact that he's "out."

If anything, that's the one thing I'm having trouble with this season - Phil being just straight up *out* of the KGB. I could see them switching him to a *support* role, or as someone else suggested, using the travel agency to move agents and wash money, but them just *agreeing* to let him become Mr. Normal American so long as Liz keeps doing the spyin' and killin' just doesn't wash.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think he's really out. He's still an asset, as shown by when Oleg meets up with him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think he's really out. He's still an asset, as shown by when Oleg meets up with him.

Yeah, but that struck him as really unorthodox. Oleg was told his contact procedures, and Phil seemed genuinely annoyed/surprised when he saw the mark. The first words out of his mouth upon meeting with Oleg were "I'm out."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I sort of see him as on reserve now. I see it as Elizabeth is being something of a martyr doing it all herself and picking up the slack.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, but that struck him as really unorthodox. Oleg was told his contact procedures, and Phil seemed genuinely annoyed/surprised when he saw the mark. The first words out of his mouth upon meeting with Oleg were "I'm out."

If he were fully out, he would have ignored the signal.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If anything, that's the one thing I'm having trouble with this season - Phil being just straight up *out* of the KGB. I could see them switching him to a *support* role, or as someone else suggested, using the travel agency to move agents and wash money, but them just *agreeing* to let him become Mr. Normal American so long as Liz keeps doing the spyin' and killin' just doesn't wash.

Either Claudia or Gabriel said the job that P&E have isn't meant to last forever. The Centre was even arranging for the two of them to come home before the operation with Kimmie unexpectedly bore fruit. Given that, it stands to reason that they would let Philip stay since he is a critical part of Elizabeth's (and eventually Paige's) cover.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Is it possible that Claudia simply is not reporting back that Philip is out? As long as Elizabeth is able to carry out duties, Claudia just covers for them both?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

phosdex posted:

Is it possible that Claudia simply is not reporting back that Philip is out? As long as Elizabeth is able to carry out duties, Claudia just covers for them both?

Then him saying "I'm out" to Oleg would probably get back.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

phosdex posted:

Arkady was aware that he had left the business when he spoke to Oleg, so it seems that the organization is aware that he left.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
It’s not like Moscow can really force him to do jobs. And he really is in a support role, given how he enables Elizabeth and Paige to operate. Think of him as being logistics, and advisory to Paige.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Wonder if the Centre allowed Philip to “retire” as some sort tacit bargain they were going to get Paige trained as an agent. Philip tried to prevent secret agent Paige. We know the KGB wanted second gen sleeper agents with Paige; however, “just ignore that bad situation where the last kid went postal because his handler was in over her head.” Let’s hope that’s not the present situation. Philip as we’ve seen is very conflicted with their espionage work. Maybe Claudia sold the Centre as a trade. We saw Philip almost argued successfully to get them extracted.

To the will Paige sleep with someone for the job question, let’s not forget Paige mentioned to Claudia she moved off campus so she wouldn’t have to sneak boys into the dorms. Seems to me Paige thinks she’s ready for a honeypot operation. The key term probably is she thinks she’s ready. With this show, it would be a thrilling storyline “no she’s not ready but here we are.”

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Zero One posted:

They likely would pay for anything they needed. But Philip is obviously not asking for help from them anymore. He wants to make it on his own the American way.

Aren't they still paying Elizabeth though?

Cojawfee posted:

Oleg was not sent by the same people who are sending Elizabeth on errands. In fact the former are specifically hiding it from the latter.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 18, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You guys are really overthinking this. They pretty much laid it out last season -- Phillip isn't taking on any new agents or running missions anymore, he was just going to maintain Kimmy. They're not faking it for Moscow, because every single mission report would require them to lie pointlessly and raise all sorts of questions along the lines of "why didn't your partner do X while you were doing Y?" The KGB isn't the most caring organization in the world but they value their sleeper agents pretty highly and understand that they're going to get burned out. They never thought P&E would be there spying for eternity. They've still got Elizabeth working her full load, and Phillip is helping keep up appearances and is probably available in case of emergency. What are they going to do, make him come home immediately and just leave Liz and Paige there to explain where he went?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
They have no way to force him to perform; their only leverage is the rest of his family, and they're well aware that if they do anything like that, the best resolution they can hope for is that he uses his skills to simply go to ground, but in reality, he'd just go to the FBI. It would do some damage to their operations; they seem to have it well compartmentalized, so he can't give away more than a few other illegals, but even giving them sources and methods would be devastating.

No, Moscow's probably fine with the whole thing, because they're still getting everything they want, especially with Paige's indoctrination going so well.

Hell, in theory, in another year or two, they'd tell P&E to retire anyway, so there's a few years gap with absolutely zero things for a future background check on Paige to find.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Elizabeth being tasked by non-directorate forces closes another little plot hole. At this point the family's chief asset is the ability to place Paige. The parents should really be retired right now to avoid jeopardizing that.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh hey she's back :ohdear:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Cool that Elizabeth killed all those dudes for nothing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phillip v Elizabeth is getting more intense now. "Mom said he killed himself. He was troubled." :v: Oh poor sweet Paige. Totally expecting Paige's attempt to get the intern as a source to blow up in her face.

howe_sam posted:

Was it just me or was that scene really dark in terms of lighting? It was hard to make out what was going on for some parts of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Phillip v Elizabeth is getting more intense now. "Mom said he killed himself. He was troubled." :v: Oh poor sweet Paige. Totally expecting Paige's attempt to get the intern as a source to blow up in her face.

Was it just me or was that scene really dark in terms of lighting? It was hard to make out what was going on for some parts of it.

It was extremely dark

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
She went all Solid Snake on those guys.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

phillip looked so happy line dancing

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Well, he's your department" is about the coldest loving thing I've ever heard Elizabeth say. The level of detachment in her voice concerning the well-being of her *son* (and his future and happiness) was chilling.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 19, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

howe_sam posted:

And she embarrassed that poor, dying woman for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Well, he's your department" is about the coldest loving thing I've ever heard Elizabeth say. The level of detachment in her voice concerning the well-being of her *son* (and his future and happiness) was chilling.

It seemed to me like it wasn't so much detachment as it was roasting Philip after he tried to interject himself into Paige's spy education.

• Locked thread