Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

BattleMaster posted:

Why, because New Vegas was better than what they do themselves? :thunk:

It sold worse and reviewed worse than Fallout 3, that's the bottom line as far as the publisher is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

It sold worse and reviewed worse than Fallout 3, that's the bottom line as far as the publisher is concerned.

This confuses me because NV was the better game and 3 was...not good.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The endless bickering over which videogame best videogame is probably a small part of why they don't farm out work anymore.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Volcott posted:

The endless bickering over which videogame best videogame is probably a small part of why they don't farm out work anymore.

Because they definitely base business decisions on forum posts :rolleyes:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Fallout NV is just the last and best DLC to be sold for Fallout 3.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

fishmech posted:

Fallout NV is just the last and best DLC to be sold for Fallout 3.

So normally I'm not a fan posts making GBS threads on you, but how the hell are you this wrong?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

T-man posted:

So normally I'm not a fan posts making GBS threads on you, but how the hell are you this wrong?

Why do you hate New Vegas?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fishmech posted:

Why do you hate New Vegas?

It's not loving DLC you screeching autistic buffoon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's just DLC my dude you don't need to tumble into a crying rage about it. Nice little job Obsidian did as a bonus content team for Fallout 3 to extend its life

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

It basically is a full length expansion. Same engine with little new tech.

You're the autistic one here, why get so defensive over calling a game dlc? Does that mean its poor quality or something? Not true...

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

With the mod that combine Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, it works a lot like an expansion really.

https://taleoftwowastelands.com/

Use it if you ever want to play Fallout 3.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

fuckin chill dude jesus christ

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zaphod42 posted:

It basically is a full length expansion. Same engine with little new tech.

You're the autistic one here, why get so defensive over calling a game dlc? Does that mean its poor quality or something? Not true...

To be fair under most definitions of DLC it’s not DLC.

It is still a weird breaking point.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

having a normal one

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

13Pandora13 posted:

Bethesda has a really weird bare-bones development style in recent years and it doesn't make much sense IMHO. Fallout 4's entire dev team was like 100 people and it shows.
You know I thought FO4 seemed awfully... sparse. That would go a long way towards explaining why.

I mean, well, I already knew "settlements you control have replaced most small towns where there were actual named characters", but this explains a lot about WHY they did that.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Don’t use “autistic” as an insult.

Can someone other than them explain what the issue regarding Kickstarter and New Vegas was? Unless there is none, which in that case disregard my question.

Regarding games and Kickstarter in general, I don’t understand the shade thrown at companies that choose to help fund a game in this fashion. If I contribute at the level that gets me the base game at the same or less cost than when it comes out it’s the same to me, but on KS I’ll possibly get access to dev insight, creative processes, maybe alpha/beta access, digital perks, etc. I can see being leery of backing any game KS because so many high profile games get mismanaged terribly with middling or laughable results at best (i.e. Not MegaMan, Not Banjo-Kazooie).

Why are many game creators are still so bad at handling the business and finance side of their pet projects, especially via KS and other fundraising platforms?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Because they’re not business people or project managers. I think there’s a huge misconception that knowing how to manage projects and people is some kind of non-work but KS is a perfect illustration of how management can add value in intangible ways.

Maybe not value to the effect that justifies orders of magnitude higher salaries than the workers being managed, but, :thatscapitalism:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow we went from 0 to 100 real quick here

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Can someone other than them explain what the issue regarding Kickstarter and New Vegas was? Unless there is none, which in that case disregard my question.

Regarding games and Kickstarter in general, I don’t understand the shade thrown at companies that choose to help fund a game in this fashion. If I contribute at the level that gets me the base game at the same or less cost than when it comes out it’s the same to me, but on KS I’ll possibly get access to dev insight, creative processes, maybe alpha/beta access, digital perks, etc. I can see being leery of backing any game KS because so many high profile games get mismanaged terribly with middling or laughable results at best (i.e. Not MegaMan, Not Banjo-Kazooie).

Why are many game creators are still so bad at handling the business and finance side of their pet projects, especially via KS and other fundraising platforms?

Shade is thrown because so many KS games either never come out, are chopped up in to multiple games, are delayed for long periods of time, or have major features removed to make budget. And that’s not taking in to consideration the ones that are major disappointments like Mighty No. 9 or Yuka Laylee.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yooka-Laylee isn't even a MN9-level of disappointment. By all accounts it seems to have delivered exactly what was promised - it's just that it wasn't until it came out that many backers realized they didn't actually want that kind of game in 2017.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Yooka-Laylee isn't even a MN9-level of disappointment. By all accounts it seems to have delivered exactly what was promised - it's just that it wasn't until it came out that many backers realized they didn't actually want that kind of game in 2017.

Well while it's partly this, they also hugely deviated from the smaller but more numerous levels of the previous games. The reason I didn't like it was because the levels were too big and full of uninteresting empty space.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair under most definitions of DLC it’s not DLC.

It is still a weird breaking point.

At worst, it'd be considered an expansion pack, which is not something people really complained about before DLC became common, as far as I know.

BattleMaster posted:

Regy Rusty posted:

Well while it's partly this, they also hugely deviated from the smaller but more numerous levels of the previous games. The reason I didn't like it was because the levels were too big and full of uninteresting empty space.

What neat about Yooka-Laylee to me is that A Hat in Time, which was basically aping the sort of rose-tinted idealized version of Rare games, came out the same year, and I feel like fits what people were looking for better.

e: Full disclosure: I backed both A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My kid loves MN9 but it looks pretty generic and meh to me (his uncle gave it to him recently). He's 6 and his favorite song is Raining Tacos so I'm not sure about his judgement though

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This isn't new or anything, but:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/340672218/solo-stove-bonfire-the-worlds-most-unique-fire-pit

I was gonna buy a fire pit and this looked decent. Light enough to easily move around, compact, near-complete combustion. But I thought "Hrm, it's thin-gauge stainless steel? With a fire in it? How's it not going to rust out?" and went looking for reviews.

A big complaint people have with it is that it rusts out.

Then I found this product page:

https://www.thegrommet.com/solostove

It's got one of the corporate marketing guys doing some Q&A in the comments:

quote:

Hello! Very interested in the stove...question - on another site I noticed some rusting on the inside of the stove - (1) can you explain this on a stainless steel application? (2) what is the warranty on this item? (3) Thoughts on winter / not in use storage? (meaning do I need to bring it in after each use / seasonally, etc.)? thanks!

@Dana Hi Dana, thanks for your interest and questions! Stainless steel has an increased resistance to rust, however it is not rust proof. Prolonged exposure to moisture (winter season) may result in increased staining and/or rusting. We recommend emptying the ashes and wiping it with a dry cloth, you can then place your Bonfire in its carrying case and store it in a cool dry location. Due to the extremely high temperatures the inside of the Bonfire may show signs of staining/rust. This is normal and will not affect normal use. Caring for your Bonfire correctly will prolong its look and usability so can enjoy a lifetime of the ultimate backyard fire pit experience! We warranty each and every Solo Stove product to be free of manufacturing defects, and we will repair or replace with a new product, at our option, any Solo Stove product that is deemed defective. Solo Stove does not warrant its products against normal wear or misuse. Thanks.

So, yeah, they say flat-out: Since it's thin-gauge stainless and you're building a fire in it, it will rust. The fact that it rusts is normal. We don't warrant against it. We just made and are selling a $300 firepit that rusts out in normal use.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SpacePig posted:

What neat about Yooka-Laylee to me is that A Hat in Time, which was basically aping the sort of rose-tinted idealized version of Rare games, came out the same year, and I feel like fits what people were looking for better.

e: Full disclosure: I backed both A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee.

I did too and I felt the same way. Hat in Time also only had a few levels, but they were very well designed. They took advantage of their limitations and built the game around them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Great Rumbler posted:

You're not wrong, but also Zenimax doesn't really do outsourcing anymore, certainly not like they used to even just a few years ago. Instead, they've been focusing pretty much exclusive on their stable of internal studios [Bethesda, id Software, Arkane Studios, Tango Gameworks, and MachineGames].

The Elder Scrolls: Legends was outsourced to Direwolf, so they do do some.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The first wave of games (Broken Age, Wasteland 2, Mighty No 9) were all pretty disappointing and the second wave of games (Yooka-Laylee, Shenmue 3) already had publishers and funding and were just using Kickstarter as a marketing tool and preorder platform. Also the platform has an inherent flaw in that getting your feedback from backers means that the game tends to be skewed towards what the hardcore grognards want at the expense of everyone else; Broken Age Part 2 being way more difficult than the first and Darkest Dungeon adding more and more things to penalize and screw over players are probably two of the most well-known examples.

Also in the time since Kickstarter took off Steam added the Early Access feature (letting people sell unfinished games with a disclaimer on the store page) and got rid of any sort of barrier or quality control to games being added to its storefront so people have been exposed to and burned on a lot of games that fail to deliver on their promises outside of crowd funding. The days of being able to fund a game on KS with nothing but some concept art and an elderly game dev's endorsement are long gone.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Fallout 4 had such a painfully bad engine that I didn't finish the game. I know you can just VATS, but FO4 had some of the worst gunplay in any game I've ever played. Floaty, unimpactful, bullet sponge enemies, just generally unsatisfying to play. If (when?) they put out FO5, I hope they scrap their garbage engine.

Also scrap whatever team wrote the FO4 story.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Elysiume posted:

Fallout 4 had such a painfully bad engine that I didn't finish the game. I know you can just VATS, but FO4 had some of the worst gunplay in any game I've ever played. Floaty, unimpactful, bullet sponge enemies, just generally unsatisfying to play. If (when?) they put out FO5, I hope they scrap their garbage engine.

Also scrap whatever team wrote the FO4 story.

There was no dedicated writing team, the design and writing team was one division.

FO4 was really bad but again, if you look at the size and structure of their dev team, there was no way it wasn't going to be.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

13Pandora13 posted:

There was no dedicated writing team, the design and writing team was one division.

FO4 was really bad but again, if you look at the size and structure of their dev team, there was no way it wasn't going to be.
Fire them all then sell the IP to a different studio.

Or just have a different studio make a good post apocalyptic open world shooter, there really isn't all that much Fallout IP.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

13Pandora13 posted:

The biggest mistake FO4 made was that it gave the PC an actual voice instead of making them a silent protagonist. It's not the only problem the game had, but giving the PC a voice deprived the player of so much that it made every other problem bigger as a result.

Some games are fine with that level of separation, but games like Fallout aren't one of them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Or just have a different studio make a good post apocalyptic open world shooter, there really isn't all that much Fallout IP.

CDPR is still busy making Cyberpunk.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

The Lone Badger posted:

CDPR is still busy making Cyberpunk.

You can't prove that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Starbound probably burned a lot of people too. Massively crowdfunded and mismanaged to the point it's widely considered to have gotten actively worse since the beta.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Just give Arkane the Fallout franchise.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Its been a decade since Fallout 3 came out and you people are still so weirdly hung up on it that you can't even bother finding a thread that is even tangentially related to your hot hot takes before posting them for the millionth time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But it's okay, because Bethesda is totally going to announce Starfield at E3 this year!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

This is total crap and I wish people would stop repeating it. Yooka-Laylee's problem wasn't that it's an outdated style, it's that it was a crappy game made by people who apparently don't know how to design fun levels. Mario Odyssey is essentially the exact same genre and is amazing.

Regy Rusty posted:

Eh, Banjo-Tooie's levels were pretty huge, but still fun. You can make large levels fun. Again, I just think Playtonic isn't particularly good at designing levels, big or small. Whoever made the magic happen at Rare during the Banjo days clearly doesn't work at Playtonic.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Level size & design aside, Yooka just wasn't very fun to play as. He felt sluggish and heavy, and I really hated controlling him. Like, go straight from playing Odyssey or even A Hat in Time and you'll see what I mean, I think. It's like trying to control an ungreased shopping cart sometimes.

e: There was a move in Banjo Kazooie where Banjo would basically jump up and let Kazooie's legs out of the bag, and then she would run around. That's something I was looking for in YL, and I don't know if something like that doesn't exist in this game, or I just didn't play long enough to unlock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fallout 4 has an insane number of technical issues that render it unplayable. It's so badly optimized.