Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Samuringa posted:

But will it be the same pricing you get on console games and such? Ours(Brasil) is decided by the publisher or developer and tends to be very reasonable.

Except when it comes down to Bethesda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Except when it comes down to Bethesda.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/63481/ - $110 USD to Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel + Season Pass
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/32848/ - $80 USD for Borderlands 2 GOTY

2K are the worst when it comes to this poo poo. Bethesda used to take the piss, but they seemed to have reigned it in a bit.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Heres a quick review for

Maelstrom

No not the other 3 games called Maelstrom that came out in the last 15 years. This is the Maelstrom that involves orc, human and elf in pirate battles

This is 15 person FFA naval battles, or you can do 5 teams of 3. There is 9 different ships with different powers and crew and captain unlockables. (no cash show, it takes in game grind)

The games are quick (10-15 minutes if you win) and they are fast paced. You have different abilities in game. 1st shot does damage, 2nd shot damages the crew,3rd will kill the sails.

Over all its a fun game for $17.99 . The community is decent with around 900 peak players so far.

Turd Herder fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 19, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EightDeer posted:

No, we get US prices. It's going to suck hard when Valve switches us from USD to AUD.
You still get regional pricing, it's just in USD.
Assassin's Creed Origins, for example, is $59.99USD on the American store, but $69.99USD on the Australian one.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
How does tax work on US steam? I heard one reason US games were cheaper is that the sales tax isn’t automatically included in the listed prices, but rather added at the checkout.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Had this pop up in my discovery queue today and thought it looked interesting, Persona-styled Korean X-COM clone but it's also taking a leaf from Final Fantasy Tactics apparently.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/Troubleshooter/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Every time a new sailing game comes out that isn't a modern Sid Meier's Pirates! sandbox, I die a little inside.

I just want a modern Pirates! game :negative: (That doesn't suck)

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Had this pop up in my discovery queue today and thought it looked interesting, Persona-styled Korean X-COM clone but it's also taking a leaf from Final Fantasy Tactics apparently.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/Troubleshooter/

Albus Bernstein

.......lmbo

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Gerblyn posted:

How does tax work on US steam? I heard one reason US games were cheaper is that the sales tax isn’t automatically included in the listed prices, but rather added at the checkout.

This is correct when I lived in Washington. A $50 game would be roughly $54.50 when I went to checkout because of sales tax. Not sure about other states though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

EightDeer posted:

No, we get US prices. It's going to suck hard when Valve switches us from USD to AUD.
Australia gets its own pricing already, but its in USD instead of AUD. For example, Far Cry 5 is US$59.99 in the US, and US$66.95 in Australia (putting it at the equivalent, if XE.com isn't lying, of AU$85.76, a pinch cheaper than the EB Games retail price of AU$89.95)

I mean, we're still going to get boned in the switchover, but...

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Gerblyn posted:

Sales tax isn’t regulated nationally, so businesses only have to collect sales tax in states they have offices. If they don’t, the consumer has to figure out how much tax they owe. My state lets you add on some small percentage of your income to the normal income tax if you don’t have all your receipts. A very large number of people don’t actually pay this and get very mad whenever Congress tries to regulate it as if it’s some brand new tax they’re imposing instead of making it harder for them to evade their taxes.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Does anyone have recommendations for good go-to games to play for a fun (not frustrating) 15-30 minutes at a time? These can be games that have missions/levels that take that amount of time to complete, or free save games in which you can accomplish a satisfying amount of tasks in that time (trying to avoid the one.more.turn situation of Civ games).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

xcom but anime?

I AM READY

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

marjorie posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for good go-to games to play for a fun (not frustrating) 15-30 minutes at a time? These can be games that have missions/levels that take that amount of time to complete, or free save games in which you can accomplish a satisfying amount of tasks in that time (trying to avoid the one.more.turn situation of Civ games).

Door Kickers. Aaand Jydge. That's all I can think of for now without doing some deep research on my library.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

marjorie posted:

Brigador

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Devs might as well get inspiration from Black Friday and make Supermarket: Battlegrounds. 100 people enter, but only one will get to do the shopping. Instead of a decreasing game area, you are forced to buy a random highly discounted item within a specific timeframe, so if you fail to do it, you automatically lose.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Blattdorf posted:

Devs might as well get inspiration from Black Friday and make Supermarket: Battlegrounds. 100 people enter, but only one will get to do the shopping. Instead of a decreasing game area, you are forced to buy a random highly discounted item within a specific timeframe, so if you fail to do it, you automatically lose.
PlayerUnknown's Flash Sale

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

marjorie posted:

Heat Signature

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

marjorie posted:

I play nuclear throne when I have this amount of time

DogGunn
Feb 2, 2009
https://jade.io/article/578176

Volvo lost their final appeal today.

Are they going to do as they're required? Including pay a AUD$3 million penalty / fine.

Basically involves setting up a support phone line for Australians to use. And having in big font that Valve breached Australian Consumer Law. This could be quite funny.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blattdorf posted:

Supermarket: Sweep

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

marjorie posted:

Faeria is a F2P deck construction/hex-based strategy game. Doesn't take long to knock off a match or two against the AI or other players, and you get a sense of progression from getting new cards to play with.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think I've about wrung all the fun I'm gonna get out of Everspace. Fantastic fun overall. I guess I can still be a sucker for repeating-restarts-but-you-gradually-get-stronger-anyway games like it and Rogue Legacy after all.

Much else out there like it right now? Bonus points for spacey or scifi but I'm not picky, I just need something to do until probably BattleTech next week :v:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.kansspelautoriteit.nl/publish/pages/4957/onderzoek_naar_loot_boxes_-_een_buit_of_een_last_-_eng.pdf

The Netherlands posted:

The Netherlands Gaming Authority has completed its study of loot boxes, also known as ‘crates’, ‘cases’ or ‘packs’. Loot boxes are a type of treasure chest that are built into a growing number of games. Loot boxes in games create a mixing of games of chance and games of skill. Although the outcome of games is determined by skill, the outcome of loot boxes is determined by chance. Players usually has to pay for a loot box. The prize that they can win with loot boxes may also have a monetary value. This fact gave rise to the question of whether loot boxes are permitted on the grounds of the Betting and Gaming Act (Wet op de kansspelen). The Netherlands Gaming Authority was also interested in whether addiction risks are
associated with opening loot boxes.

Reason for the study
The Netherlands Gaming Authority studied loot boxes after concerns were raised by gamers, parents and addiction care.

Findings of the study
The study revealed that four of the ten loot boxes that were studied contravene the law. The reason is that the content of these loot boxes is determined by chance and that the prizes to be won can be traded outside of the game: the prizes have a market value. Offering these types of games of chance to Dutch consumers without a licence is prohibited.

NOS posted:

Dat geldt in ieder geval voor deze populaire games: Fifa18, Dota2, PubG en Rocket League.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Where is the full list of games they examined?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
drat. If Rocket League falls with all the other bullshit, that's a real Monkey's Paw moment.

I mean, this is obviously just a single official take on the whole issue, but there could be unpredictable fallout.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Good

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

StoryTime posted:

drat. If Rocket League falls with all the other bullshit, that's a real Monkey's Paw moment.

I mean, this is obviously just a single official take on the whole issue, but there could be unpredictable fallout.

If Rocket League offered a box-type lootcrate (meaning every time you open one, you are guaranteed a new item from the collection until you get them all), then that'd be a welcome change. At least they offer decryptors regularly for free.

Lootcrates are cancer.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Out of curiosity, has anyone who's gotten the recent Humble Monthly actually tried Dead Rising 4? I'm morbidly curious about it, but I want to see if anyone bit the bullet despite the bad reputation

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Morter posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone who's gotten the recent Humble Monthly actually tried Dead Rising 4? I'm morbidly curious about it, but I want to see if anyone bit the bullet despite the bad reputation

I've been enjoying the Capcom Heroes story mode of it. I didn't even bother with the regular story. I especially enjoy Dante Frank and Viewtiful Frank.

E: The beginning area has bad performance (Prologue/Case 0). I have a 1080, so I'm assuming I'm powering through some unoptimization for the rest of the game.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 19, 2018

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Every time a new sailing game comes out that isn't a modern Sid Meier's Pirates! sandbox, I die a little inside.

I just want a modern Pirates! game :negative: (That doesn't suck)

I don't think anyone did it since the last Sea Dogs game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the "Just Announced, But They Teased It Years Ago During A Humble Bundle And It Looked Completely Different Back Then So Clearly Some poo poo's Happened" files...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q33N833aPX4

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
100 Sams drop down onto an island....

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

StoryTime posted:

Without any doubt, the real effects of decisions like this are never clear until years down the line and there's always more collateral damage than you initially think.

I do wonder what'll replace loot boxes in the scenario that they'll get straight-up eradicated though, because people who think we'll just go back to the way things used to be are in for a disappointment.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In this particular case the only thing they'd have to change would be to not make it possible for the player to resell the items.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not too much needs to change.

The study specifically mentions that those four fail to meet existing legal standards because the items are transferable through a real-money market, essentially making them digital pachinko prizes, and are not won in a game of skill. The six that pass legal standards do so purely because the items are not transferable. Simply making items nontransferable so there's no secondary market, or introducing some element of skill to influence the box's content would make the lootboxes 'acceptable' under their gambling laws.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Palpek posted:

In this particular case the only thing they'd have to change would be to not make it possible for the player to resell the items.
There's already flags for this in the Steam inventory system, so you probably won't notice a massive seismic shift in this regard.

Probably a few broken scotch glasses at the Invictus household, mind...

If I had to make a wild prediction and get all TV Psychic on your asses, I'm going to predict that this will lead to an official version of those "trade-items-you-don't-like-for-items-you-actually-want" services that float around using Steam's Trade Offer system, with an eye towards keeping Artifact's apparent focus on card trading without getting phone calls at 3am from increasingly-obscure European government agencies.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That’s asuming the durch market share is big enough to be significant, or they could just stop selling their game there.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Avalerion posted:

That’s asuming the durch market share is big enough to be significant, or they could just stop selling their game there.
These things tend to have a habit of spreading throughout the EU (except the UK lmbo), potentially cutting off a large market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/986896435869290496