Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If David Lynch had a three year old right now he would be watching movies on his phone in two-minute chunks during toilet breaks and he'd be thankful for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Clipperton posted:

If David Lynch had a three year old right now he would be watching movies on his phone in two-minute chunks during toilet breaks and he'd be thankful for it

he would probabky just not watch movies i think

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Clipperton posted:

David Lynch had a daughter who was sick as a baby and he made Eraserhead as a result, so

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rabelais D posted:

Halfway through reading peckerwood's screed against comfy seating I had to rush out and put on a chef's hat, just so that I could kiss my fingers with the requisite gusto when I got to the end. Delicious truth there.

I mean, I warned you that it would be pedantic :discourse:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I went to an Alamo Drafthouse in Houston (or maybe it was Katy...somewhere around Houston, at least) in December because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I guess from various things I'd heard, I had it built up in my head as the ultimate theater experience. But honestly it wasn't anything special. It didn't have reclining seats, there didn't seem to be anything notable about the screen over other theaters, their system for ordering food was loving archaic, etc. I wasn't impressed at all. I've been to at least a handful of theaters not named Alamo Drafthouse that impressed me way more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

David Lynch had a daughter who was sick as a baby and he made Eraserhead as a result, so

and it took him five years so yeah he pretty much made it in two-minute chunks (possibly on the toilet idk)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

🎵 In the toilet, everything is fine 🎵

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

There's a theater in town that's 80-something years old. Beautiful inside, but the seats are also 80 years old (I'm sure the cushions have been replaced a couple times) and they are uncomfortable as gently caress. Hope your BMI isn't over 23 and you're not taller than 5' 8" because you will not have a good time. The last film I saw there, I remember more about how miserable I was sitting than anything actually about the film. It's unlikely that I would ever go back.

Recliners are awesome, though I hate how bright the control lights always are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I went to an Alamo Drafthouse in Houston (or maybe it was Katy...somewhere around Houston, at least) in December because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I guess from various things I'd heard, I had it built up in my head as the ultimate theater experience. But honestly it wasn't anything special. It didn't have reclining seats, there didn't seem to be anything notable about the screen over other theaters, their system for ordering food was loving archaic, etc. I wasn't impressed at all. I've been to at least a handful of theaters not named Alamo Drafthouse that impressed me way more.

Alamo rules.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I would go back to Studio Movie Grill a thousand times before going back to Alamo.

In fact, when I went to Alamo a few months ago, I was disappointed that I'd gone there instead of going to Studio Movie Grill which I've done like every other time I've been to Houston in the past decade.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Our theater would throw this person in the gutter. That poo poo don't fly anywhere, but good on them for throwing it in her face.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would go back to Studio Movie Grill a thousand times before going back to Alamo.

In fact, when I went to Alamo a few months ago, I was disappointed that I'd gone there instead of going to Studio Movie Grill which I've done like every other time I've been to Houston in the past decade.

Well if Jack Black or Bruce Campbell ever shows up to one then maybe I’ll check it out.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CelticPredator posted:

Well if Jack Black or Bruce Campbell ever shows up to one then maybe I’ll check it out.

christopher lloyd showed up to the drafthouse ritz for a bttf marathon. drafthouse still sucks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asiina posted:

The city I used to live in the regular theatre had recliner seats, maybe only 10 to a row and you could get alcohol, all reserved seating and you still paid the regular movie price so you could get that experience for like $9 on Tuesdays. Now I live in a larger city and the only theatre that does this considers it a "VIP Experience" so it costs $25.

LOL, I went to my local theater here in Australia to see Rampage a few days ago and the ticket cost me $22 plus $1.50 online booking fee. The screen had a wrinkle in the fabric which distracted me a bunch of times throughout the movie and it was auditorium seating so every time anyone in the room checked their phone there'd be a flash of light in the corner of my eye. Jokes on them though, I bought some candy at the supermarket for $2 and smuggled it in instead of paying $7 for the exact same product at the concession stand.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

LOL, I went to my local theater here in Australia to see Rampage a few days ago and the ticket cost me $22 plus $1.50 online booking fee. The screen had a wrinkle in the fabric which distracted me a bunch of times throughout the movie and it was auditorium seating so every time anyone in the room checked their phone there'd be a flash of light in the corner of my eye. Jokes on them though, I bought some candy at the supermarket for $2 and smuggled it in instead of paying $7 for the exact same product at the concession stand.

What cinema chain in Australia? I have very rarely had lovely technical problems with any of the cinemas I go to in Perth, crowds and ticket prices is another issue...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GoldStandardConure posted:

What cinema chain in Australia? I have very rarely had lovely technical problems with any of the cinemas I go to in Perth, crowds and ticket prices is another issue...

Hoyts. Also when I booked the ticket online the email didn't show the barcode so the guy checking tickets had to type the booking code in manually instead of just scanning my phone. :v:

I'm being a bit nitpicky though, usually the most annoying thing about going to the movies other than the cost of the tickets is that about 50% of the time someone will be sitting in your seat so you have to do the whole "Uh yeah I think that's my seat?" song and dance.

Edit: just to head off the inevitable question, every seat is assigned so if you just sit somewhere else then you'll just get kicked out by whoever booked that seat.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm being a bit nitpicky though, usually the most annoying thing about going to the movies other than the cost of the tickets is that about 50% of the time someone will be sitting in your seat so you have to do the whole "Uh yeah I think that's my seat?" song and dance.

Edit: just to head off the inevitable question, every seat is assigned so if you just sit somewhere else then you'll just get kicked out by whoever booked that seat.

My favorite part is the inevitable dickhead cascade that starts when someone comes in 5 minutes into the film, someone is in their seats so they make them move, someone is in theirs etc etc

The two cinemas I go to regularly don't do assigned seating, but I don't mind getting there early to get decent seats (also they offer memberships with discount tickets, so that's a bonus).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I love going to a theater with a beanie two-seater because then I can lie down while watching movies.

Content:
Andrew Niccol of Gattaca and In Time is back at it with another retro-futurist noir dystopia. A detective investigate murders in a world where privacy does not exist anymore and all information about everyone is public.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnc17atwaII

I dig that that this is hitting the "so grey it's basically black and white" thing hard. It's cool and ambitious. But I think Niccol forgot that black and white movies of the era he's trying to evoke are gorgeous because of their use of light and shadow, not lack of color.

But yeah, I'll watch that. Niccol has had some stumbles but overall is still rad. This is exactly the arena I want him to be playing in. Same goes for Clive Owen.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 19, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Eezee posted:

Not having assigned seating in every Cinema basically makes you a third world country. If I can't snag the best seats long before the movie and then arrive at the last minute I wouldn't go see any movies.

Very few theaters here in Orlando have assigned seating, and the ones that do are a haul to get to from where I'm at. As a result, yes, I barely every go to the theater.

If I could spend, say, $30 and see a movie at my house on day one, I 100% would.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Sequelizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyNJ3UrGk_I

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20bpjtCbCz0

kiimo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 19, 2018

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Hyped for Peter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Man, Wade has gotten rusty since he got those regenerative powers :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBAS9SVWUA8

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
They should have cut TJ Miller out of that movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

They should have cut TJ Miller out of that movie.

And replaced him with Christopher Plummer.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

thrawn527 posted:

And replaced him with Christopher Plummer.

TJ Miller's character will be replaced by "Peter" in the next movie and they'll never acknowledge it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Denzel Washington is about five years older than Edward Woodward was when he was the Equalizer but looks nearly 20 years younger.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Actually pretty stoked about this since it has Carpenter's blessing and he's doing the music for it. Would be a nicer lasting legacy finale than whatever that last thing he did was...The Ward?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah the idea of wanting to be less comfortable when you watch movies is actively loving insane to me

There's no surcharge for it here, there's no weird separations or anything destroying the theater experience, it's literally just a loving normal theater except the seats are nicer

Like if you want to rag on a theater for loving with the theater experience, Alamo Drafthouse type places are way, way guiltier than theaters with goddamn recliner seats, and I saw loving Belladonna of Sadness at a Drafthouse so the idea that those kinds of places are for mushbrain babies is laughable regardless of their actual issues

Um...have you been to India my man? Something something marvel.

I think the Deadpool trailer is pretty rad.

It'll be hilarious if this was the only action set piece in the movie again.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alamo is kinda mediocre compared to other theaters doing reserved seating and the like. They might have started the trend, I dunno.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Actually pretty stoked about this since it has Carpenter's blessing and he's doing the music for it. Would be a nicer lasting legacy finale than whatever that last thing he did was...The Ward?

Gimme that retrowave, John Carpenter.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

DLC Inc posted:

Plus its directed by David Gordon Green, and co-written by him and Danny McBride.

Its going to be amazing

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bows1 posted:

Plus its directed by David Gordon Green, and co-written by him and Danny McBride.

Its going to be amazing

You just know they're going to kill Laurie off again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Timby posted:

You just know they're going to kill Laurie off again.

it's cool that Jamie Lee Curtis keeps coming back for these. Can't imagine many other people so willingly returning to the b-movie slasher series even from H20 and beyond. After the godawful way they wrote her out of Resurrection I think she survives this one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Um...have you been to India my man? Something something marvel.

I think the Deadpool trailer is pretty rad.

It'll be hilarious if this was the only action set piece in the movie again.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm like 95% sure I know how this joke ends but i'm still gonna laugh my rear end off when it happens.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm like 95% sure I know how this joke ends but i'm still gonna laugh my rear end off when it happens.

Gory, gory, what a helluva way to die

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

Denzel Washington is about five years older than Edward Woodward was when he was the Equalizer but looks nearly 20 years younger.

Looks like a combination of 21st century wig technology and VFX de-aging techniques, as well as the lack of English drinking habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
the deadpool trailer tickles me in all the right places. domino looks amazing.