Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"...What do you mean Steven can only sign two books this year?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

OH poo poo THAT WAS TONIGHT. gently caress.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
The Chokes McGee Big Finish Work Commute continues with The Genocide Machine! I'm pretty excited because, other than getting murked at the beginning of the TV movie, I've never seen Seven in action before. He's kind of sinister :ohdear:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chokes McGee posted:

The Chokes McGee Big Finish Work Commute continues with The Genocide Machine! I'm pretty excited because, other than getting murked at the beginning of the TV movie, I've never seen Seven in action before. He's kind of sinister :ohdear:

Wait, hold on. You're listening to a McCoy Big Finish BEFORE you've actually seen a McCoy serial?!? Has the world gone mad?!?!?!?!?!?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Edward Mass posted:

Wait, hold on. You're listening to a McCoy Big Finish BEFORE you've actually seen a McCoy serial?!? Has the world gone mad?!?!?!?!?!?

Other than Five Doctors, I hadn't seen a single 5th, 6th, or 7th serial before getting deep into Big Finish.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Caption Contest!

"So, Chibnall's gonna totally ruin it, right?"
"Yeah."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Edward Mass posted:

Oh my yes, quite mad. Quite mad indeed.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Please just watch the old show. It’s better, mostly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TomSpilsbury/status/985121765901955072

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s Peter Capaldi’s birthday! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSd_AJpxAo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cargohills posted:

I think that's debatable wrt Colin Baker. Also imo McCoy is awesome in both

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Legit discussion of pre-human civilisations, with the Silurians getting a namecheck.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

corn in the bible posted:

I think that's debatable wrt Colin Baker. Also imo McCoy is awesome in both

They should try Vengeance on Varos. Many say it's a classic!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Today is David Tennant's birthday.

Happy birthday, David Tennant. You do not look 47.

:toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Today is David Tennant's birthday.

Happy birthday, David Tennant. You do not look 47.

:toot:

Because he's 906.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of the 10th doctor: the 10th Doctor Chronicles set released today from BF.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Because he's 906.

"When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good, you will not."

He ages like fine wine

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/georgiaetennant/status/985509194756341760

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

God it must run in the family. Got on a crowded elevator at the last con and made “boy this sure isn’t bigger on the inside” jokes. Elevator stopped and we all parted to let the guy in the back corner out.

It was Peter Davidson. Quiet as a mouse.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

Doctor Zero posted:

God it must run in the family. Got on a crowded elevator at the last con and made “boy this sure isn’t bigger on the inside” jokes. Elevator stopped and we all parted to let the guy in the back corner out.

Now, Peter Davison, on the other hand... :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I want to see a photoshop of him in the cricket jumper and celery.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Doctor Zero posted:

you should have asked him to sign your copy of All Creatures

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Zero posted:

Uh, Peter and David are not blood related...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

Uh, Peter and David are not blood related...

He has however successfully blended his bloodline with Davison's in a devilishly delightful DNA dance!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i sort of want a whole host of the Bill Murray "No one will believe you" stories, except it's David Tennant just doing cool stuff for Doctor Who fans before saying the line.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Just got done listening to the Marian Conspiracy, and—

cargohills posted:

Better? Better?!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/eighth-doctor-time-war-2?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=timewar2

Big Finish is moving to a new cover layout that uses the new brand logo, with reversible covers where appropriate that use an era-specific logo.

Find this story on Facebook if you want to see some dude having a mental breakdown and Big Finish is getting too "politically correct"

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 19, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/eighth-doctor-time-war-2?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=timewar2

Big Finish is moving to a new cover layout that uses the new brand logo, with reversible covers where appropriate that use an era-specific logo.

Find this story on Facebook if you want to see some dude having a mental breakdown and Big Finish is getting too "politically correct"

Ha, I looked it up, and it's hilarious. He's now resorted to calling everyone snowflakes, so that's that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't care if it's politically correct, but I do think it's an odd choice. I think they should use the era-specific logos, music, and sound effects of whatever Doctor is in the episode. That's kinda the point, to make you believe you're experiencing something of the era.

But then again, since the cover art is a tiny pic on my phone I barely glance at, :shrug:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
This rebranding even goes for Classic Who blu-ray releases, so its use in spinoff media is probably mandated by the BBC. I do like that they've apparently revamped the cover design for Monthly Releases in the same go, looks pretty good.

EDIT: The new Target novelisations still have the old logo, don't they? Even the New Series ones, funnily enough.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 19, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I honestly don't see how anybody could have a problem with this even from an aesthetic sense, given that:

jivjov posted:

with reversible covers where appropriate that use an era-specific logo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, even the new Enemy of the World dvd has a reversible cover to match all the others.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'll admit, I'm gonna miss the standardized bar down the left side of the art, but it's not a deal breaker for my enjoyment of BF

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I mean

Having the current logo on licenced releases has always been a thing :shrug:

jivjov posted:

I'll admit, I'm gonna miss the standardized bar down the left side of the art, but it's not a deal breaker for my enjoyment of BF

I like the sidebar being gone. Opens up the cover and gives the actual art more room. Though yeah, as a digital only listener the art isn't much of a concern to me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Box of Bunnies posted:

I mean

Having the current logo on licenced releases has always been a thing :shrug:

I like the sidebar being gone. Opens up the cover and gives the actual art more room. Though yeah, as a digital only listener the art isn't much of a concern to me.

Funny thing is, when BF had the McGann logo across the top, the designers hated that layout. The much preferred the sidebar layout, because they said that gave more room instead of having to fight against a floating logo across the top

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I guess it'll come down to artists making use of the layout. If you know the art is gonna be covered by a sidebar, you can account for that when making the cover in the first place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Funny thing is, when BF had the McGann logo across the top, the designers hated that layout. The much preferred the sidebar layout, because they said that gave more room instead of having to fight against a floating logo across the top

I don't follow. Surely they'd still be fighting for space with the side bar?

(I always thought the side bar threw everything out of whack anyway. When a third of your cover was always the same colour and demanding balance from the other side you'd end up a bit more limited with what you could do than with a floating headline.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think they'll manage fine. They usually leave blank space anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

quote:

Also joining The Time War 2 is a new regeneration of evil as the Twelve (previously the Eleven played by Mark Bonnar in Doom Coalition and Ravenous) enters the fray, played by Julia McKenzie (famous for many stage and screen appearances, including playing Agatha Christie's Miss Marple for five years on TV). We can’t wait to see what this new regeneration will bring, and whether we’ll get any spoilers for Ravenous and what happened to the Eleven in the midst of the machinations in The Time War…

Well that's an unexpected development. I do love The Eleven, so I'm happy they seem to be investing in the character for the long term. Mark Bonnar is absolutely lovely, and his being a part of Ravenous really made up for some lackluster story beats.

• Locked thread