Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

As a fun game maybe it doesn't have legs but I think Job Sim is STILL great mostly due to the amount of thought they put into the interactions. Everything feels so good in that game - you can manipulate what you expect to manipulate, throwing and tossing objects feels good, the graphics and art are designed in a way to make everything clear and not look like poo poo in low-res VR. I popped in the other day just for the hell of it and was amazed at how many things they got right for a launch title compared to dumb poo poo devs are still doing wrong these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

It definitely feels like they put all their effort into the office worker section and then realized they needed to add more the game. The restaurant one is somewhat interesting, as well as the convenience store. The auto shop one is pretty useless.

As i recall, the rest had been demoed and shown back in the initial reveal of the vive dev kit at ces 2015. The office one wad the last one created and announced we'll after the rest of the jobs.

I think they just learned as they went, so the office one shows the evolution of thier ideas.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AndrewP posted:

As a fun game maybe it doesn't have legs but I think Job Sim is STILL great mostly due to the amount of thought they put into the interactions. Everything feels so good in that game - you can manipulate what you expect to manipulate, throwing and tossing objects feels good, the graphics and art are designed in a way to make everything clear and not look like poo poo in low-res VR. I popped in the other day just for the hell of it and was amazed at how many things they got right for a launch title compared to dumb poo poo devs are still doing wrong these days.
Yeah they were probably the first ones to understand VR and actually responsible for driving a lot of development on the vendor side. Like they pushed hard for floor level tracking origins when lots of people were still tracking relative to sensors.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Hey thread, I'm on the OrbusVR team and Oculus is doing a free weekend event from this afternoon through Sunday. If you've been curious in checking it out this might (might because there may be technical issues from a ton more people logging in than usual) be the chance to do so. Seems like you can even win prizes for playing. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/section/rift/1597607803692969/

I'll be around if anyone has questions about the game too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
cool. out of curiosity how has the active playerbase been trending since launch?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

The Walrus posted:

cool. out of curiosity how has the active playerbase been trending since launch?

A bit lower but we're holding steady peaking at around 120-150 concurrent player during the evenings (I'd say from 7 to midnight east coast time is the most populous.)

We have a steady influx of new players trying out the game too. There's a player online count on our website.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Have you guys considered changing the price or offering the game for free with a low level cap before needing to purchase the game to continue playing? Orbus looks okay enough that I'd be willing to give it a shot for a bit (which I'll do this weekend only because it's temporarily free), but not for $40.

I'd have checked it out forever ago if it were free up to level 5 or something. It's really hard to gauge how valuable an mmo will be with just 2 hours of allowable play time before your refund period closes, and I'm not rich enough to see a potential $40 loss as low enough for me to give it a shot.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jestery posted:

Just started playing "Compound" and it's pretty alright for a free demo.

For sure best played on hard

Definitely will be putting down money for the full version when it comes out next month.

Oh man I had no clue Compound was releasing. Some of a coolest and cleanest visuals in a VR game, I hope the full release has a good variety of tilesets/enemies.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm really surprised anyone thinks a MMO can survive in this day and age without a fremium business model. The market is absolutely littered with companies who didn't get the memo, you literally have to crunch across the bones of dead games and rummage around in the leftover muck to find talent in order to release one these days. You have to willfully ignore the last 15 years of pc gaming.

e: no offense to you intended but like, there have been multiple games development panels about this and it's not news to any game designer

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 19, 2018

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

nickhimself posted:

Have you guys considered changing the price or offering the game for free with a low level cap before needing to purchase the game to continue playing? Orbus looks okay enough that I'd be willing to give it a shot for a bit (which I'll do this weekend only because it's temporarily free), but not for $40.

I'd have checked it out forever ago if it were free up to level 5 or something. It's really hard to gauge how valuable an mmo will be with just 2 hours of allowable play time before your refund period closes, and I'm not rich enough to see a potential $40 loss as low enough for me to give it a shot.

We've definitely considered different models and something like a limited level trial is a thing we might do in the future. We'll also likely be putting the game on sale more in the future too (it's on sale right now on Oculus on top of the Free Weekend.)

Bhodi posted:

I'm really surprised anyone thinks a MMO can survive in this day and age without a fremium business model. The market is absolutely littered with companies who didn't get the memo, you literally have to crunch across the bones of dead games and rummage around in the leftover muck to find talent in order to release one these days. You have to willfully ignore the last 15 years of pc gaming.

It's a tough space to be sure, but since we're mostly the only offering in VR (except something like Rec Room which isn't really a traditional MMO) it's worked out well for us. We're really happy with the reception and optimistic about the future too.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Daynab posted:

Hey thread, I'm on the OrbusVR team and Oculus is doing a free weekend event from this afternoon through Sunday. If you've been curious in checking it out this might (might because there may be technical issues from a ton more people logging in than usual) be the chance to do so. Seems like you can even win prizes for playing. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/section/rift/1597607803692969/

Can you do this on Vive or is it Rift only?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

StabMasterArson posted:

Revive works fine for all titles out of the Oculus store. You should be able to play it on Vive using Revive.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

You definitely need to go through the Oculus store for it, I'm not familiar with the ways to play those games on Vive but it's in partnership with Oculus.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Daynab posted:

You definitely need to go through the Oculus store for it, I'm not familiar with the ways to play those games on Vive but it's in partnership with Oculus.

No, if you are running Revive, and you're authorized you launch the game from the Oculus store, then it should run with Revive.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

No, if you are running Revive, and you're authorized you launch the game from the Oculus store, then it should run with Revive.

That's cool then! :)

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Cool thanks guys. Dont really wanna gently caress about with weird third party programs to play VR stuff though, Steam is bad enough

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bhodi posted:

e: no offense to you intended but like, there have been multiple games development panels about this and it's not news to any game designer

FFXIV is still very popular and has both an initial purchase and I think $13/month subscription fee, but people are happy to pay because they're actually diligent about content (Glorious Nippon Work Ethic or something).

The "pay once" model like Orbus can work too (especially since everything that does it like Diablo/Destiny releases expansions that act as a de-facto subscription fee), but I do agree it needs a baked in level-cap trial to get people hooked... if you don't think the first X levels are enough to rope someone in then it'd give me the impression you're not confident. But the Steam reviews continue to be positive so it sounds like you've got a decent product and are just missing out on more adoption by not having a permanent trial.

One of my favorite games, Path of Exile, uses a "ethical microtransaction" model where you pay for "cosmetics and convenience", i.e. hats, weapon/skill effects, and extra stash tabs to organize your loot, but nothing that has a direct impact on gameplay. They seem to have been doing very well for the past 5 years and keep putting out large, free expansions. I get that it's pretty much impossible to change models after people have already shelled out the $40 though.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

StabMasterArson posted:

Cool thanks guys. Dont really wanna gently caress about with weird third party programs to play VR stuff though, Steam is bad enough

It's not bad at all, I had a Rift and I used Revive to try out Rift games on a Samsung Odyssey and everything worked easily.

In fact, the Oculus Store plus Revive is actually less clunky to me for VR than just Steam on it's own, lol

nickhimself posted:

Also, I just noticed that it is on Sale for $30 right now on the Oculus Store, and I still have that $15 credit sitting around... tempting...

Orbus person! Why do I have to tell the thread your game is on sale? Get your poo poo together, lol

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 19, 2018

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

You're missing out on the best stuff available in VR (Echo Arena), and ReVive really isn't that bad to set up

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

One of my favorite games, Path of Exile, uses a "ethical microtransaction" model where you pay for "cosmetics and convenience", i.e. hats, weapon/skill effects, and extra stash tabs to organize your loot, but nothing that has a direct impact on gameplay. They seem to have been doing very well for the past 5 years and keep putting out large, free expansions. I get that it's pretty much impossible to change models after people have already shelled out the $40 though.

Honestly nowadays the vast majority of microtransaction stuff are “ethical” MTs. Big AAA game companies need to pay more attention to successful mobile F2P games because they’ve already worked out shittons of those problems and figured out how to make MTs feel fun and rewarding. There’s the stigma that all MTs are just evil skinnerboxes manipulating people and children into wasting all of their money or you lose instantly, but that hasn’t been the case in popular successful games for several years. Surprise surprise, if you treat your players well and make them happy then they’ll be more willing to spend money, especially if you make spending money feel good and fun rather than feel like you have to or you may as well stop playing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly nowadays the vast majority of microtransaction stuff are “ethical” MTs. Big AAA game companies need to pay more attention to successful mobile F2P games because they’ve already worked out shittons of those problems and figured out how to make MTs feel fun and rewarding. There’s the stigma that all MTs are just evil skinnerboxes manipulating people and children into wasting all of their money or you lose instantly, but that hasn’t been the case in popular successful games for several years. Surprise surprise, if you treat your players well and make them happy then they’ll be more willing to spend money, especially if you make spending money feel good and fun rather than feel like you have to or you may as well stop playing.

I mean, the Star Wars Battlefront 2 lootbox backlash has caused the AAA companies to do some soul searching, but there will always be companies who decide that the people who'll pay to win outweigh the people who'll be disgusted and play something else. Plus I think the backlash had as much or more to do with the "hey this is actually gambling" aspect than people getting a leg up in the game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, the Star Wars Battlefront 2 lootbox backlash has caused the AAA companies to do some soul searching, but there will always be companies who decide that the people who'll pay to win outweigh the people who'll be disgusted and play something else. Plus I think the backlash had as much or more to do with the "hey this is actually gambling" aspect than people getting a leg up in the game.

Yeah there definitely will be those types of companies, but what I’m saying is that doesn’t really work if you want your game to be majorly successful, and lots of mobile companies have realized that and started shying away from it. The Battlefront 2 fiasco shows how little AAA companies are paying attention to the industry that’s already figured out how to make F2P work.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Orbus person! Why do I have to tell the thread your game is on sale? Get your poo poo together, lol

He did say it was on sale just didn't list the price. He's probably used to Reddit's insane preoccupation with not allowing self-promotion so he was being careful.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I admit grudging interest in your MMO and will give it a shot

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Bought Orbusvr like 4 days ago... Ah well at least I don't have to mess with revive.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Big VR sale just started on steam. Looks like just about everything vr is discounted.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

Big VR sale just started on steam. Looks like just about everything vr is discounted.

Except H3VR :(

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
That Lenovo Explorer is $199 on the Microsoft store. Is that a good value at that price for someone with no prior VR experience?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I've been waiting for The Talos Principle VR to go on sale and it's $20 right now, that might just be the tipping point for me.

Here's the link

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/vrspringsale/

Edit: stand out is on sale too. I've really wanted to try that.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 19, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

That Lenovo Explorer is $199 on the Microsoft store. Is that a good value at that price for someone with no prior VR experience?

Gonna say... nope. They sell used on eBay for $100-$150 cause they're pretty garbo.

If you're eyeing the Microsoft Store, you can get a student/teacher/parent/military discount on the Rift bundle to get it to $360, as someone who's had plenty of time in Rift and Windows MR I'd say the extra $160 is well worth making your first VR experience a great one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I forgot about ebay. I kind of want just the odyssey headset for sim racing.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Zero VGS posted:

One of my favorite games, Path of Exile, uses a "ethical microtransaction" model where you pay for "cosmetics and convenience", eady shelled out the $40 though.

Black Desert is a great example of how an ethical microtransaction can be unethical.

Short version: there was an item that made dying less of a penalty, just for convenience, you see. A few updates later, a bunch of new bosses mysteriously had instant death attacks, some of which were undodgable.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cojawfee posted:

I forgot about ebay. I kind of want just the odyssey headset for sim racing.

So I have a rift and my daughter has an Acer WMR headset. I've done a lot of simracing with my rift and when she got her headset I had to try it. For most regular VR games that she plays like job sim, rec room, gorn, and climbey it was nearly indistinguishable from the rift and in some ways (like the flip up visor and lack of USB sensors strewn about the room) it was better. But then I sat down with some Project CARS 2 and Assetto Corsa and the shortcomings became more apparent. WMR doesn't have asynchronous reprojection like oculus does. When the frame rate dips it really dips and nothing kicks in to compensate (or if it does, I didn't notice) so while the visuals were very slightly sharper, it was noticably choppier, and this is with a 1080ti and 7700k. After turning some graphic options down it was better, but of course with the graphics turned down it wasn't as detailed or nice looking.

I tried the Rift right after, turned all the settings back up and blasted around and in a racing game where things are flying past you aren't going to notice when reprojection happens, but when using a WMR headset you'll certainly notice when it doesn't.

In fact maybe I'm just not sensitive to it but I've never noticed reprojection kicking in during any game, but I know it happens because I've had the performance overlay on when tweaking settings in pCARS 2 and elite. Other people are sensitive to it and can notice it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 19, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zero VGS posted:

Gonna say... nope. They sell used on eBay for $100-$150 cause they're pretty garbo.

I disagree with some caveats. You have to have the right IPD because none of the WMR headsets except the Odyssey support IPD adjustment (which is absurd), but if your face is compatible it's a no-brainer impulse buy at $100-150 and actually worth it at $200. It's an actual roomscale VR setup with no lighthouse setup for less than the cost of a low-end video card.

Yes, the controllers are poo poo, but with the windows Spring update, the tracking is substantially better and there's finally haptic feedback. I have the Dell set and it's better in some ways (and worse in more ways) than the Vive.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GutBomb posted:

WMR doesn't have asynchronous reprojection like oculus does.

Yes, it does. Make sure your gpu drivers are up to date and you aren't running monitoring software like Afterburner or GPU-Z in the background, which can mess with it for some reason.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I disagree with some caveats. You have to have the right IPD because none of the WMR headsets except the Odyssey support IPD adjustment (which is absurd), but if your face is compatible it's a no-brainer impulse buy at $100-150 and actually worth it at $200. It's an actual roomscale VR setup with no lighthouse setup for less than the cost of a low-end video card.

Yes, the controllers are poo poo, but with the windows Spring update, the tracking is substantially better and there's finally haptic feedback. I have the Dell set and it's better in some ways (and worse in more ways) than the Vive.

They have digital adjustment which works so long as you can uh, fit in the scale of it. I'm a 69, the dell maxed out at 67.

Daynab posted:

ETA on a sale on the steam store? MP games = No buy for me on the oculus store. :-\

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
drat double post

Quote = Edit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GutBomb posted:

So I have a rift and my daughter has an Acer WMR headset. I've done a lot of simracing with my rift and when she got her headset I had to try it. For most regular VR games that she plays like job sim, rec room, gorn, and climbey it was nearly indistinguishable from the rift and in some ways (like the flip up visor and lack of USB sensors strewn about the room) it was better. But then I sat down with some Project CARS 2 and Assetto Corsa and the shortcomings became more apparent. WMR doesn't have asynchronous reprojection like oculus does. When the frame rate dips it really dips and nothing kicks in to compensate (or if it does, I didn't notice) so while the visuals were very slightly sharper, it was noticably choppier, and this is with a 1080ti and 7700k. After turning some graphic options down it was better, but of course with the graphics turned down it wasn't as detailed or nice looking.

I tried the Rift right after, turned all the settings back up and blasted around and in a racing game where things are flying past you aren't going to notice when reprojection happens, but when using a WMR headset you'll certainly notice when it doesn't.

In fact maybe I'm just not sensitive to it but I've never noticed reprojection kicking in during any game, but I know it happens because I've had the performance overlay on when tweaking settings in pCARS 2 and elite. Other people are sensitive to it and can notice it.

You're probably right, but I really want just a bit more sharpness. On long straights, cars get lost in the sauce and I'm staring at individual pixels. It's great for close up racing, but not great for distances.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played some of that Stand Out VR for the first time, doesn’t seem to hard to find a game. Really ugly to look at but I did get into a last 2 situation and had a pretty tense showdown, I don’t know if I can stick with it. It feels like a lot of guesswork to figure out where guns spawn, like I drop into a big carnival area and it’s jack poo poo, now I’m all exposed with nothing.

Does Payday 2 have free movement? I played a round offline with teleport and it was a loving mess, for better and worse. Bag throwing is goddamn impossible.

Skyrim VR + mods is still fantastic. There’s an archery mod that feels a lot more lethal and the scenery really is beautiful when you’re surrounded by it and just walking the trails is really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Taintrunner posted:

I played some of that Stand Out VR for the first time, doesn’t seem to hard to find a game. Really ugly to look at but I did get into a last 2 situation and had a pretty tense showdown, I don’t know if I can stick with it. It feels like a lot of guesswork to figure out where guns spawn, like I drop into a big carnival area and it’s jack poo poo, now I’m all exposed with nothing.

Does Payday 2 have free movement? I played a round offline with teleport and it was a loving mess, for better and worse. Bag throwing is goddamn impossible.

Skyrim VR + mods is still fantastic. There’s an archery mod that feels a lot more lethal and the scenery really is beautiful when you’re surrounded by it and just walking the trails is really nice.

Couple tips for stand out.

Try the other loco-motion options. I personally use Pro-Loco full time. If you have a gunstock, You may end up joysticking. But I personally love pro-loco. Nothing beats screaming up to a house, jumping into the second floor window, and blasting someone in the face who wasnt looking.

The main city, and circus both have little to no gun spawns currently. There are a few, but you're best to hit up houses or bunkers.

IF your PC can handle it. Turn off AA, crank up the graphics, and kick the supersample up. Itll help a ton with range, and get some of the textures look better. You should have seen this game back in oct/nov. Its SO much better now a days.