Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
:woop:

Hmmm. Go C and risk maybe losing more, or accept the loss and wake up.

C

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Have lost. Welp.

Let's get on with it.

A

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C I look forward to more chances to get Sundar ignominiously dead!

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
A

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A We can find that bit we lost later.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
C

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

C

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

A

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
C. We're a stubborn little poo poo. C'monnnn hold onto this. I want retribution!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
A part of you wants to cling on. To wait. To find what is lost. But... reality calls. You can feel it tugging at you. Its pull is irresistible. You feel the cold waters growing more distant. For a fragment of a second you get a glimpse of a reflection of what could be glinting teeth in the water...

You open your eyes.

Blinding light causes you to reel, your head is pounding, a slow, agonizing beat. You feel like every inch of your body has been bruised, and the pain is deep, so deep it runs into your bones, and through your skull. You lack the strength to scream in pain, although perhaps you'd like to. It takes you a second to process your surroundings, as you blink awake. You are lying in some kind of... wooden cot, padded with a material you can't quite identify. Its not uncomfortable, it might even be kind of decadent, if every inch of your body didn't feel like it had been flayed. The room you're in is made mostly of stone, and from a large window sunlight is pouring in. Clutched, tightly in your right hand is Alnaar Alramh. You're not sure you can even move your fingers enough to let go of the spear.

Standing next to your cot, is the Sejin. Deep circles under his eyes, he looks extremely preoccupied, he wasn't looking at you the exact second you woke, instead his head is turned towards the doorway, where a much older man is standing. You have never seen the man before, and he is wearing these strange, blue robes. He is much shorter than the Sejin, possibly even shorter than you. Whatever they were saying, they stop as you open your eyes, and both stare directly at you.

In a single motion the Sejin grabs you by the shoulder and opens his mouth to speak. Its at that moment you realize you're bound to the bed. By chains. They're not too tight, but you can feel their weight against your flesh, and they jingle as the Sejin grabs on to you. From his mouth spills out a string of incomprehensible syllables, he looks both angry and very upset! *crackle-hiss-hiss splutter-burn!* Its ignian, you recognize that much, but he's speaking much too fast for you to catch more than a word or two. Spirit, Dwelling. He sounds angry, and his tone demands something, and he seems to be asking something of you, and you just... hurt.

You
A.) Try to say something back in Ignian. Write in what?

B.) Cry. You've just gone through a traumatic experience, and this is not helpful.

C.) Scream "What? What? I don't understand you!"

D.) Faint. Back to sweet sweet unconsciousness, where you didn't hurt like this.

E-K.) Write in. There are many ways you could react to this.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 19, 2018

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

C

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

He thinks he's talking to the spear, not us, doesn't he.

B

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
B, because this was traumatic, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ignian comes out when we try to speak normally.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Oh my god. This is so heavy.

B

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

A, I tried to save some kids from a monster boar, how'd that work out?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
B. ask about the (dead) kiddos

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

dont be mean to me posted:

B

Think so too, B

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

TheCog posted:

B.) Cry. You've just gone through a traumatic experience, and this is not helpful.

I'm sorry Sejin, I didn't listen closely enough to your lessons, I just wanted to save those kids.

I didn't meant to worry you, is everyone safe?

dont be mean to me posted:

He think's we're possessed by the spear is more like it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
A "Guess I really screwed up huh"

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
E. Attempt to return the spear to the spearhead, thus loosing it from our grip.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
B

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

A "Guess I really screwed up huh"

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

vorebane posted:

A, I tried to save some kids from a monster boar, how'd that work out?

This, to cool response to be possessed by a fire spirit.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

E. Try to toss the spear away from me.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
C

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

B

Seems a pretty appropriate response to me.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

As the Sejin accosts you in Ignian, you break down. This has been a very tiring day, you are in a not insignificant amount of pain, and now the Sejin is yelling at you. Tears roll down your face as you sob 'I... I don't understand' you manage to get out between sobs, as the Sejin keeps sizzling at you. His expression turns from one of anger and concern to one of relief, and abruptly you find yourself being squeezed in a hug.

"I'm sorry Sundar, we weren't sure if you'd be all there when you got back" the Sejin explains. He hasn't let you go and its getting a little hard to breathe. "If I'd realized that Alnaar was Ensouled I would have properly warned you." He lets you go, finally, after an eternity. "My friend Elder Nestor is going to look you over for damage. Your mind seems to be whole, but we're not sure what, if anything might be wrong with your body."

The elderly man who had been conversing with the Sejin just moments ago steps through the door, and on his blue, flowing robes, you notice a carefully stitched icon. You're not sure exactly what it is. A river with islands? A tree? He introduces himself, his voice ancient and cracked. He might be the oldest person you've ever seen. "I am Elder Nestor" he says simply. "I just need you to hold still" he offers, "and relax" he says, offering you a toothy smile, "the danger is over, you are safe here." He places his hands on your brow, and you feel strange. You can hear a faint chant, even though the Elder isn't speaking. Something flickers in the corner of your eye, but its gone, just as quickly as it arrived. You see beads of sweat from on Elder Nestor's forehead, and the strange feeling pulses. Once. Twice. Thrice. Then it slowly fades. He looks up, and makes eye contact, his eyes are a surprisingly vivid blue. He looks at the Sejin, who has respectfully stepped back, but only one or two steps. "Its like flames have burned through every nerve of her body. She aches with it. It will heal, but she needs at least a week of bed rest before she'll be going anywhere. I'll mix her a potion that will at least alleviate the pain." he looks a little disapprovingly at the Sejin. "And perhaps in the future, keep her from fighting Calydonian Boars?" he adds, with a bit of dryness. He pulls out a key from somewhere in the folds of his robes and loosens your bindings. He departs without another word. The Sejin takes a seat next to you. "I'm sure you have many questions" he offers, "Let me do my best to explain, and then you can ask as you will Sundar."

In the next few minutes a much younger man carrying a strange vial arrives. "From Elder Nestor" he offers "Three drops at sunset, and sunrise, but she should take one now. It will soothe the pain.", a small glass dropper inside the glass vial allows the Sejin to give you a single drop. As soon as it hits your tongue, you feel... better, slightly drowsy, but the searing pain in every movement, and the agony in your head tone down to more acceptable levels. The Sejin begins his explanation.

"First of all, I'm sure you wish to know if you saved the other children. The worst that they suffered was some bruising and a broken rib. They and their families have asked after you in the three days you've been out. I'm afraid that the story of how you saved them from being eaten by a monster has spread through the village like wildfire." the Sejin gives you a small smile at this. He turns serious as he speaks however. "What you did however, was very foolish. I will never criticize your choice to try to save innocents. it is noble. But I will tell you this Sundar, bitter as it is to hear. If you are to be a Sejin, a real Sejin, you have to know when the time is right to turn back and run. If you die, for anything but the best of causes, you do incredible harm to the universe. Your continued existence Sundar, will be more important than saving everyone. Sejin's who do not learn this lesson early never get a chance to learn it." he pauses for a second to let it sink in. "I am very proud that you tried anyway. It takes incredible courage to face a beast like that, to interpose yourself between death and those you wish to save."

He takes another deep breath. "Alnaar should have never been able to take control of your body like that. What happened, everything you saw, was through the eyes of Alnaar piloting your body. It seems that Alnaar has a form of battle precognition, he can divine potential futures based on the present. The fact that viewing life through that lens didn't drive you mad, or kill you instantly is a testament to your mental fortitude, Sundar." he hesitates "If ever again you feel like Alnaar wishes to take control, refuse, refuse with everything you are. Ensouled weapons are just below the greatest of the magical items in power, and will wholly consume you. I'm surprised Alnaar gave up your body without a fight. The limitations of the Dijini should have held that power at bay for a long long time, but their influence is weakening." He looks somber at this pronouncement.

"To best explain the danger of Ensouled weapons, weapons with their own wills, desires, and ambitions, I will share a story. The story of Katar and Menos"

"In a deep valley, nestled between the stone pillars, there was a small village. The land around this valley was dangerous and full of monsters, and two brothers dwelled within the village, Katar and Menos, two swordsmen of unrivaled power. It was said that they had the blood of the Djini, and true or not, they were mighty warriors indeed. The elder, Menos, was an archer of unparalleled skill, the younger Katar, was the fiercest swordsman to ever have laid hands on a weapon. Together they protected their small village from all kinds of danger. They had an unspoken, but very real rivalry. Katar always a single kill behind Menos, no matter how hard he tried. Still they shared a bond of blood and battle. There was no foe that could stand against them... Until Yemer, the Flesheater. He descended from the caverns deep in the mountains, accompanied by his host of monstrosities."

The Sejin pauses for breath, "Yemer was an impossibly horrific troll, a half giant, half human abomination, who's armor was said to be indestructible. As his ravenous horde of trolls descended from the mountains, burning and consuming all in their path, the two brothers sallied forth to do battle, confident in their victory. But victory was not to be theirs. For three days and three nights they did battle with Yemer and his armies, until eventually, relentlessly, they were beaten back, and forced to give way. Defeated, broken, the two brothers returned to the village, to face their impending doom. Menos, the eldest, wanted to take their people and flee. Outrun the horde, save as many as they could. But Katar called him a coward. He would not abandon the village they had fought for. He would have power at any cost. So he descended to the forbidden crypts, sealed beneath the earth, where his father's father's ashes had been sealed. He found their tombs, and begged their spirits to aid him, to give victory. When the cold ashed of the dead remained silent, he grew angry, and in his anger spoke to spirits best left undisturbed. They came for him that night in his dreams. They whispered that he would still have victory over Yemer, if he dove deep into the tombs of his ancestors and found what they had sealed away."

The Sejin pauses, his face dark and grim.

"When he awoke, Katar dove deep beneath the earth, and recovered an ancient blade of black iron. Raja, the Consumer. He took it, and when he held it between his hands, it whispered to him, ancient powerful wisdom. With it, he knew he would be unstoppable. Menos begged Katar, to take his family and flee with him. To run, to where Yemer would not find them, that the cursed blade had been sealed away for a reason. But Katar would not yield. Armed with the blade, he took to the hills, and did battle with Yemer. They fought, and the melding of man and blade was a truly unstoppable storm. Yemer was brought low and his hordes rendered impotent. But when Katar returned, there was a glint in his eye. Something had changed, the blade had rubbed off on him. He was crueler, more terrible than before. With no Menos to hold him in check, he grew petty and arrogant. None could stand before him, and instead of the protector of the village, he became their tyrant.

Many years later, having heard of this Menos returned... only to find that there was nothing left of the village he once knew. It was a field of utter slaughter. Heads on pikes, acts of unspeakable cruelty, bones on bones... and not a single living soul."

"Menos knew that while his brother lived, the village would not have fallen, so he followed the trail of destruction, hellbent on avenging his brother. It went deep into the wilderness, a path of bloody slaughter. It seemed that the monster had destroyed every creature it had come upon with incredible cruelty. He came upon the next village, and found it in an even worse state. The corpses had been thinly eviscerated, mothers had died protecting their children. No quarter had been given. Atop the pile of corpses of the defenders stood... Katar. Blade held aloft, the hilt of a knife protruding from his eye. Seeing his brother like this, Menos let out a terrible anguished scream. Katar turned to face him, face covered in gore, and spoke, barely coherent, begging begging to be killed. The sword, he explained, had taken over him. It would not let him die. It would not let him stop.

The brothers dueled on the blood soaked streets, the bowman unable to slay the blademaster, and the blademaster incapable of landing a solid blow. For days, for weeks, they dueled, the blade not allowing Katar to stop, and sheer stubbornness keeping Menos going.

Some stories say that Menos landed the final killing blow, falling dead of exhaustion right after. Others that he slew his brother and became the next cursed swordsman. Yet others mantain that Katar slew Menos, and died of grief."

The Sejin ends the somber tale, not the shadow of a smile on his face. "Ensouled weapons are killing machines. They hold great power, but they are weapons, they lust for combat. You must master Alnaar or risk the same fate as Katar." he lets out a deep breath. "Alnaar does not seem overtly hostile, which is why I am not insisting we dispose of it. It is a powerful weapon, and one you should master. The Djini would not have given it to you otherwise. That said, it is your choice, if you wish, I will keep it with me so you do not have to handle it."

1.) Do you want to give Alnaar to the Sejin for safe keeping?
A.) Yes
B.) No

You sleep for some hours, when you awaken, the Sejin informs you that as soon as you are better, you will go back on the road. As almost an afterthought he hands you an object wrapped in leather. Its about the size of your forearm. When you unwrap it

A bone knife... well more of a bone short sword. It looks to have been fashioned from a tusk of the boar you just killed. "A gift from the parents of the children you saved. They had it shaped into a knife, for the 'brave warrior' who saved their children." he smiles. "A fitting gift for your first kill, I think"

It looks like you will be resuming your travels as soon as you are less in pain. That means its about timeskip time. Below a recount of where we're at

TheCog posted:

You are a little over 13 years old
You are conversational in Eurbaa, the Sejin’s tongue, and able to read and write it with reasonable proficiency.
You know the basics of Ignian, and can speak it, and understand it spoken, if with difficulty.
You know how to swim, poorly from before the Sejin adopted you
You have decent wilderness survival skills
You know how to set up a camp.
You are quite adept at fighting with a staff. You can be reasonably sure you could fight of an unarmed adult or small animal without much difficulty, and you could probably go toe to toe with an armed adult who didn’t really know what they were doing. Still a trained soldier would likely wallop you.
Your magical circuits have been activated
You have a good sense of your magic pool
You know many old stories about the Sejin's birthplace, including many obscure ones
You know how to haggle and get good deals.
You are of childish strength, but in very good physical condition.
You are capable of basic Kenisis, manipulating objects in close proximity without touching them
Your magic pool has grown, a lot, it is much bigger than when you first got it, although you don't have good measurements for this yet
You have the ability to sense laylines.

Your possessions are: a travel pack, a wooden scrollcase with a single scroll in Ignian, a pendant charm made of wood that the Sejin made for you, and Alnaar Alramh, as well as a few changes of clothes, one good knife, and a wooden walking stick/quarterstaff.

You also now have a boar tusk short sword.

We're gonna progress time till a year has gone by or something interesting happens. As with last time, please vote:

2.) How much time do you want to spend on the Sejin's training?
C.) As much as possible. Every waking moment basically. This guarantees I learn the most about magic, armed combat and whatever the Sejin thinks is important.

D.) I want to work studiously most of the time... but take some time for myself and my interests.

E.) I want to spend as little time training as possible, and instead focus on the things I want to do. I can expect this to hinder my magic training.

3.) Vote for THREE things you want to do, in order of importance to you.
F.) I spend extra time doing magic things on my own. This is a form of unguided practice, its less effective than directly being tutored by the Sejin, but I may learn things that the Sejin hasn't taught me yet?

G.) I spend my free time sparing with the Sejin and practicing fighting drills. I can expect to move to using the spear in practice within the next month or two if i really focus on this, in about six months if I don't.

H.) I wanted to hear more stories from the Sejin. This was an activity I found pleasing and that the Sejin enjoyed, and it increased my knowledge of the world. I know many of them now, but the Sejin seems an endless font.

I.) I wanted to continue to learn Ignean, while I can sort of speak and understand it, I still have a long way to go, and reading it is still utterly baffling. The Sejin says this will be useful if I wish to learn binding.

J.) I probed the Sejin for knowledge on forbidden things, topics he was truly loathe to talk about, things like blood magic, and when I could, I tried to learn more about these things by practicing them myself.

K.) I focused on physical training. This is not direct martial combat, but rather ways to make myself stronger.

L.) I wanted to learn some form of ranged combat. I convinced the Sejin to teach me how to fight from a distance during our down-time.

M.) I wanted to learn to sing. I convinced the Sejin to spend time teaching me the fundamentals of music.

N.) I wanted to get very skilled at numbers, so that I could make sure no one ever ripped me off. I practiced math until I was fantastic at it.

O.) I wanted to learn to fight with a short sword. Its a bit of a pivot off of my plans of learning the spear, but I will still likely do a lot of staff training first.

P.) I wanted to learn battlefield medicine. The Sejin is not a doctor, but he knows about travel sickness, and binding wounds and poison.

Q.) I wanted to focus on increasing my mana pool, on my own, the Sejin has taught me some exercises related to this. I practice them. This will not teach me new magic, just give me more resources to pull from.

R.) I wanted to focus on more survivalism, I know a fair bit of this, but I want to focus on some of the more obscure and difficult stuff.

S.) I wanted to spend lots of time Alnaar. I want to form a true bond with the weapon. This is null and void if A wins.

T.) I want to focus on learning how to better control my "witch sight", the ability to see and detect magic.

U.) I want to try to pick up another elemental language. If this gets support we'll have a vote for which

V.) Write in

4.) During this year, what are some short, non-time intensive things you'd like to do?

Question time, is of course, open

TheCog fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 25, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
1 B
2 C
3 RQT

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B And hope we be really loving careful in the future.
C. We gotta figure this poo poo out.
IOQ

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Ask Sejin

What did I lose, could find it or again or discover what it was.
Ask what the icon on Elder Nestor's clothing is, and what does it mean?
Why is it important that I not die? Isn't death the fate of all people?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Brain Candy posted:

What did I lose, could find it or again or discover what it was.

"What?" you explain. "I'm afraid I don't know Sundar, what matters is that you're fine now."

Are you though?

Brain Candy posted:

Ask what the icon on Elder Nestor's clothing is, and what does it mean?
"Its the Tree of Life. He and his sanctuary worship Bo, the tree from which they claim all life originates. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you more about it if you wanted"

Brain Candy posted:

Why is it important that I not die? Isn't death the fate of all people?

"Its a hefty question, but in short, because you can do more good by living, than by dying. I have lived a long time, I have had may opportunities to get myself recklessly killed, if I had, I wouldn't have gotten to save you, and like you, many others. Death is the fate of all people, this is true, but if you die, measure out the good you do dying then, as compared to the good you might do living still."

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Well, other than that mysterious part of oursleves we lost, that seems to have gone relatively well, actually.

1. B
2. C
3. IST (Ignian, Alnaar, witch sight. Doubling down on this badass weapon of ours, plus adding to our senses)
4. Try to figure out what we lost.

Did we know the Ignian word for glory before we heard it from Alnaar?
Ask Elder Nestor about the Tree of Life on his clothing.

Ask the Sejin:
-When Alnaar started pupeteering my body, I heard the Ignian word for glory. Was that really Alnaar? Should I infer that's what motivates him?
-Can you tell me more about Calydonian Boars?
-If an Ensouled weapon is just below the greatest items of magic power, what kind of things sit at the top?
-How did you meet Elder Nestor?
-What were you trying to say to Alnaar when I woke up?
-Ask the Sejin about the dream(?) water we fell(?) into after wielding Alnaar became too much to us and what we should do if we ever find ourselves back there.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 26, 2018

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Woohoo! Update. Loved the cautionary tale.

1. B
2. C
3. G S H

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1. B
2. C
3. H I N = (Legends, Ignian, Numbers)
4. Learn to identify flowers.

Question: Elder Nestor wore an icon on his robes that looked like a river or a tree. What does that icon signify? Is he Magi, just as you are Sejin?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
1. B
2. D
3. ISH

I think getting to know the sword makes sense as a safety precaution really, but I'd prioritise learning the language first. And stories are always good.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

1.B
2.C
3. H I P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

1b2d3qkh Ask about the story of us whup assing a boar, I want to hear it from the kids' perspective. Would it be counterproductive to thank Alnaar for not eating our brains?

E:and why is it so important we survive? is there a big magic rumble we've got to be there for?

vorebane fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 26, 2018