Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Cythereal posted:

They say MUTO is an acronym: Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism (and note immediately that the name is inaccurate since the MUTO they were tracking is now airborne.

They speculate that it's the same species as Godzilla.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it being another Big G is pretty firmly inferred. Also, apparently "MUTO" is the official MONARCH word for "we don't have a name for this kaiju yet" according to the supplemental material for G14 and Skull Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

He was nominated for some pretty big awards for Nocturnal Animals. I mean, he's no Daniel Day-Lewis but I don't think he's Jai Courtney or Sam Worthington either.

He's certainly not Jai Courtney, because Jai was at least fun to watch in Suicide Squad, something boring military man in G14 is 100% not.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's certainly not Jai Courtney, because Jai was at least fun to watch in Suicide Squad, something boring military man in G14 is 100% not.

He has like 3 lines in Suicide Squad. As a leading man he's the blandest most forgettable protagonist I've ever seen(in multiple films).

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

G14's plot was fine, but I prefer my human plots in Kaiju films to involve crazy sci fi plots about cockroach aliens.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I will never understand why people like G14 I thought it was such a soulless boring movie.

Shin Godzilla though, is the loving GOAT

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There are no bad Godzilla movies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

There are no bad Godzilla movies.

Yamashita smiles from above.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

He has like 3 lines in Suicide Squad. As a leading man he's the blandest most forgettable protagonist I've ever seen(in multiple films).

And with only 3 lines and his physical presence he's infinitely more entertaining than military man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Just kiss already.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mantis42 posted:

G14's plot was fine, but I prefer my human plots in Kaiju films to involve crazy sci fi plots about cockroach aliens.

Could be worse, the script for the 1994 American Godzilla movie involved an alien invasion, a pre-humanity lost civilization on Earth, and mutants.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They kill off the best character in the movie early on and you're stuck with one of the most boring leads ever.

??? Are you mixing this up with one of the Destroyah ones because Godzilla is definitely shown to be alive at the end.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I will never understand why people like G14 I thought it was such a soulless boring movie.

Shin Godzilla though, is the loving GOAT

They both rule.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Could be worse, the script for the 1994 American Godzilla movie involved an alien invasion, a pre-humanity lost civilization on Earth, and mutants.

that would have been better then what we got tho???

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I can't speak for GvMG, but Terror is an odd case because there's two different English versions and one is an outright different edit of the movie. It might be that the English edited version is the only one they could find in decent condition.

(If Terror makes sense and only has the boob shot missing, then it's definitely the television version and not the edited theatrical version, so I'm as confused as you are in that case.)
Thanks for the details about the edits. This version of Terror had the boob shot and was 83 minutes long which from what I can tell is the uncut version? I am capable of sitting through the dubbing but it was really jarring since I went in order from Godzilla up to this and it switched suddenly.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mandatory lesbian posted:

that would have been better then what we got tho???

That movie is shameful but almost worth it for how Toho later worked Zilla into the official canon. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 19, 2018

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I checked SA and saw that this thread had 40 new posts and thought that a surprise teaser for the next Legendary movie had dropped or something. Thanks for getting my hopes up JERKS

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s been 4 years :(

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dub MechaGodzilla 1974 is the only way to watch it.

Random Russian Ape Japanese man!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cythereal posted:

That sounds amazing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wait theres boobs in terror of mechagodzilla??????

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mantis42 posted:

That sounds amazing.

IIRC, the idea is that tens of millions of years ago during the time of dinosaurs, aliens invaded Earth using Blob-style monsters that absorb local fauna and adapt and evolve into ever more deadly organic weapons. There was a sentient civilization at that time, that stole the mutating/evolving goop and applied it to a T-Rex, creating Godzilla. Godzilla wiped out the alien invasion and was returned to stasis alongside the original alien probe, and the precursor civilization was wiped out when the asteroid ended the age of dinosaurs.

Then, in the modern day, an oil drilling expedition in Alaska accidentally drills into the ancient stasis vault, waking up and releasing both Godzilla and the alien probe. Godzilla goes on a rampage while the alien probe infects a guy in the expedition, ultimately mutating him into a huge mutant kaiju called the Gryphon. Godzilla kills the Gryphon, ending the alien threat, and the humans manage to use some of the stasis goop from Godzilla's cell to lull him back to sleep.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

wait theres boobs in terror of mechagodzilla??????

Good news is that yes, there is boobs in ToMG.

Bad news is that it's during open surgery on the android chick.

Good news is that instead of blood and organs, there's just like wires and junk, because she's an android see?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah it's not really, like, sexualized nudity and it's literally one shot that got removed from most English-language releases prior to the Classic Media release (which synced the international dub track with the Japanese version's video)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Godzilla vs Prometheus?

Kitty Burger
May 23, 2005
Mmm, taste like kitty...
Looks like the trailer for part two of the anime Godzilla movie dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-SeQD22Csc

IMO it looks like garbage and is probably worse than the first one, but hey, Mechagodzilla, right?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mantis42 posted:

Or some crazy dude desperate to get a boat to go rescue his shipwrecked brother.

That trailer looks fine to me. I see twin girls, mechagodzilla, lost civilizations, all sortsa stuff. I like the first one ok, but it was pretty straightforward. This one looks nuts, which as has just been said, is just right for a Godzilla movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What the hell is up with that trailer music?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Just re-watched this (Shin Godzilla) earlier tonight. Does anybody know what’s indicated in the ending with the skeletons in Godzilla’s tail? There's a thematic element with it of Godzilla harnessing weapons used against him, but I wasn’t sure if it doubled as a reference to an earlier Godzilla movie I haven’t seen or one of those GODZILLA WILL RETURN type teasers.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Almost Blue posted:

Just re-watched this (Shin Godzilla) earlier tonight. Does anybody know what’s indicated in the ending with the skeletons in Godzilla’s tail? There's a thematic element with it of Godzilla harnessing weapons used against him, but I wasn’t sure if it doubled as a reference to an earlier Godzilla movie I haven’t seen or one of those GODZILLA WILL RETURN type teasers.

There's not really any precedent for it in the Godzilla franchise, so use your own imagination.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Almost Blue posted:

There is speculation earlier in the film about if and how Godzilla will continue to undergo metamorphosis. Specifically, that Godzilla could change to fly, and therefore be a threat to countries across the world. The tail suggests that Godzilla was instead developing the ability to divide or reproduce, and that it was considerably more of a threat than was realized.

That's beside the skeleton tail serving as an undeniable monument to the dead the Japanese government refused to acknowledge.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009
There's some really out-there concept art from a "Art of Shin Godzilla" book that's even nuttier than the tail monsters. Godzilla was actually going to split in half and is frozen in mid-split, leaving him looking like a big Siamese twin thing. I think the same book also showed other nixed stages, like one where Godzilla grew wings and had honest-to-god jets growing from his legs.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
It's discussed somewhere deep in this thread, where the humanoids are the next phase of G's evolution and it gets TERRIFYING after that. Godzilla basically becomes the Singularity in a couple more phases and all matter in the universe gets co-opted

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Something else that's easy to overlook is the scale of the humanoids budding off the tail. If I had to estimate, I'd say they're like 20-30 feet tall.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Neo Rasa posted:

That movie is shameful but almost worth it for how Toho later worked Zilla into the official canon. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg

Final Wars is worse that G98. :colbert:

edit:

This bears repeating:

Zartosht posted:

Final Wars is the Ready Player One of kaiju films.

Jeremiah Flintwick fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 20, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cythereal posted:

IIRC, the idea is that tens of millions of years ago during the time of dinosaurs, aliens invaded Earth using Blob-style monsters that absorb local fauna and adapt and evolve into ever more deadly organic weapons. There was a sentient civilization at that time, that stole the mutating/evolving goop and applied it to a T-Rex, creating Godzilla. Godzilla wiped out the alien invasion and was returned to stasis alongside the original alien probe, and the precursor civilization was wiped out when the asteroid ended the age of dinosaurs.

Then, in the modern day, an oil drilling expedition in Alaska accidentally drills into the ancient stasis vault, waking up and releasing both Godzilla and the alien probe. Godzilla goes on a rampage while the alien probe infects a guy in the expedition, ultimately mutating him into a huge mutant kaiju called the Gryphon. Godzilla kills the Gryphon, ending the alien threat, and the humans manage to use some of the stasis goop from Godzilla's cell to lull him back to sleep.

This sounds in isolation like a top-tier G film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Choco1980 posted:

Something else that's easy to overlook is the scale of the humanoids budding off the tail. If I had to estimate, I'd say they're like 20-30 feet tall.

Stealth Attack on Titan prequel?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

This sounds in isolation like a top-tier G film.

Way better an idea than the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms remake we got. It's almost Godzilla vs The Thing. They shoulda recycled that idea for the Godzilla cartoon. (which did have a shapeshifting monster as a The Thing homage)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure the stealth Attack on Titan prequel is actually Man in the High Castle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd guess it's less Shin took the look from AoT so much that both borrowed from Nausica's God Warriors, which just so happened to be one of the earliest films Hideaki Anno worked on. Along that line, Nausica took the look from Ultraman, which was created by Godzilla's co-creator, Eiji Tsuburaya.

So really, the final evolution of Godzilla is an Ouroboros. :v:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I believe they said this Godzilla is all absorbing in Shin. So he absorbs sea creatures then as he morphs bigger and the final tail is all the dead humans he absorbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

I believe they said this Godzilla is all absorbing in Shin. So he absorbs sea creatures then as he morphs bigger and the final tail is all the dead humans he absorbed.

Those are definitely not humans.