Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Smoking Crow posted:

how do you think onlypractice would do in tournament

He came to an EU tournament and nearly got double jeopardised by a Polish fella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Natural 20 posted:

Anyone been to the Winnerstayson stuff in London? I'm absolute garbage at DBFZ but it seems like it'd be a laugh to go this weekend.

I haven't but friends have. The competition level is very high, but people are super friendly if a little cliquey. Go tell Logan how much you love anime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I played BBTAG today and it was fun ama

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Captain Baal posted:

Any restrictions on tagging?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Captain Baal posted:

Where?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
All i've seen of BBTag so far is Spookys broadcast/tournament a week ago: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/249412237
I'm not sure if that version was the final planned release or if they're still holding stuff back?

They mentioned that various moves have changed input locations and most but not all specific mechanics made it in, so i wonder how much experience/muscle memory transfers from having played the characters in their respective games. Granted, the tagging alone likely mixes things up significantly.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It has one fewer button than blazblue IIRC (or maybe the last button is reserved for tag stuff), so muscle memory is definitely gonna have to change at least somewhat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Captain Baal posted:

What was your favorite ripped sprite that cost 8 dollars?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

Any restrictions on tagging?

You have to be grounded, but there's like a second long wait after you tag out if you wanna tag the other char back in, it's pretty immediate. Assists usable again immediately after the character leaves the screen, that's gonna make this game silly as hell.

My local gamestop

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It has one fewer button than blazblue IIRC (or maybe the last button is reserved for tag stuff), so muscle memory is definitely gonna have to change at least somewhat.

Running alone required me to stop double tapping and holding for run, because now you just hold forward and run, there is no forward walk it's really weird. Also char combos are p much auto combos, but you can kinda chain in and out of light, it's p weird and took some getting used to.

In Training posted:

What was your favorite ripped sprite that cost 8 dollars?

Azrael's because having all of his dumb poo poo on two buttons makes for some funny stuff

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is Toki in it yet?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is Toki in it yet?

Not yet, but apparently Persona Naoto, Vatista, and Hakumen just got announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGsShxps2BY

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vatista is the one UNIEL character they absolutely should not have added...how do you mess that up

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lmao

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Arc System Worst

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
So running in bbtag is basically.. just a really fast walk speed? Have FGs gone full circle?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

In Training posted:

Vatista is the one UNIEL character they absolutely should not have added...how do you mess that up

Why? I don't play UNIEL, so legitimately asking.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Arc System Worst
As someone who's known their games for a few weeks, is this sentiment an actual thing? I have a couple scrubby complaints (their story anime writing is an obfuscated mess that's pretty hard to stomach and they can't design a satisfying AI boss to save their lives) but i imagine those don't matter much to most above my level. Is it mostly BBTAGs DLC structure being particularly egregious? Are they removing mechanics to broaden the appeal but it lowers the skill ceiling?

Their monthly streams are (besides the obvious raw PR aspect) kind of adorable.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

She's actually top tier in UNIEL but she looks stupid, she's not fun to watch, and people who play her have names like "Loli Maiko". I remember some Top 8 somewhere that had like 2-3 Vatista's and the Vatista mirrors ran to time out every round and were immensely loving boring.

I guess I don't have much room to talk since I play Merkava and am slowly alienating every person I play this game with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

She's French Breads version of guile so they went gonzo on the design (she even has reverse charges...the maniacs!) so playing against Vatista is just so annoying, you can barely move or do anything, which is criminal in a game where the joy of having huge buttons is the whole appeal. check out a vatista mirror if you wanna see 3 time outs in a row.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like watching Vatista bc I love dumb lame poo poo but maybe she's just awful to fight at a high level

When is Kanji gonna be in the game? I saw he was announced as dlc but I wasn't sure about the date

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kongming posted:

She's actually top tier in UNIEL but she looks stupid, she's not fun to watch, and people who play her have names like "Loli Maiko". I remember some Top 8 somewhere that had like 2-3 Vatista's and the Vatista mirrors ran to time out every round and were immensely loving boring.

I guess I don't have much room to talk since I play Merkava and am slowly alienating every person I play this game with.

I like playing against Merkava anyway though because at least he has the wavy tube man super and flies around like Ridley

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Countblanc posted:

I like watching Vatista bc I love dumb lame poo poo but maybe she's just awful to fight at a high level

When is Kanji gonna be in the game? I saw he was announced as dlc but I wasn't sure about the date

I like dumb lame poo poo in ST because matches are 10 seconds long anyway so if you're gonna watch two people throw perfectly timed O. Sagat fireballs at each other 100 times in a row you can think Wow! Its pretty crazy that they're keeping this up...one wrong move and..oh no! He lost! and then the match continues. It can kinda drag in modern games which have 90 second+ round timers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah that makes sense, especially now that Chip Death (and in a lot of cases meaningful chip damage period) is a thing of the past

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
vatista kicks rear end and uni would be a worse game for not having someone that plays like her. like imagine thinking that a character with real rear end keepaway in tyool 2018 makes the game "boring" in the game where you spend half the round blocking no matter who you're fighting.

she's also got one of the best designed movelists in all of fighting games, everything she has just so clearly works in combination with everything else and makes her a lot more engaging than pretty much every single other charge character who's ever existed, just calling her anime guile or something is doing a real disservice to whatever artist put it all together.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 19, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They should have put nanase

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
keep nanase out of bbtag

except for her theme

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
A part of me wants to see Hilda in just to witness how dumb a Hilda/Nu team would be (all swords, full screen zoning all day).

But I really just want Yuzuriha. Wagner is cool too... but oddly hated at the last locals I went to because of her “bullshit sword and shield”

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

As someone who's known their games for a few weeks, is this sentiment an actual thing?

Hell no

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I want to ask about UNIEL because it looks really neat

the guy with the scythe looks like he has big buttons

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Weeping Wound posted:

They are huge
I started playing the game last week and its real fun. Hard tho. So much going on

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Weeping Wound posted:

Everyone in UNIEL/UNIST has big beautiful buttons and it's fun as hell. I never really like the big body characters but Waldstein somehow clicked with me and I really like playing him. But Gordeau's interesting because he's got huge range with the scythe but wants to be in your face as all his harder hitting stuff is close range. The grid system is relatively easy to figure out and makes for some interesting interactions as sometimes the right move is to just block/not attack/press the powerup button full screen

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Real hurthling! posted:

They should have put nanase

ahhh hai, moshi moshiiii

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

darealkooky posted:

vatista kicks rear end and uni would be a worse game for not having someone that plays like her. like imagine thinking that a character with real rear end keepaway in tyool 2018 makes the game "boring" in the game where you spend half the round blocking no matter who you're fighting.

she's also got one of the best designed movelists in all of fighting games, everything she has just so clearly works in combination with everything else and makes her a lot more engaging than pretty much every single other charge character who's ever existed, just calling her anime guile or something is doing a real disservice to whatever artist put it all together.

But blocking in Under Night is fun, not boring

Anyway, they should have added hilda instead.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the coolest thing about UNIST is that you have frame advantage if you successfully tech a throw

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

*Watches two Vatista players with pedophile nicknames hold downback from opposite sides of the screen for 99 seconds* This is pure art.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Kongming posted:

*Watches two Vatista players with pedophile nicknames hold downback from opposite sides of the screen for 99 seconds* This is pure art.

posts like this are responsible for street fighter 5

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

As someone who's known their games for a few weeks, is this sentiment an actual thing? I have a couple scrubby complaints (their story anime writing is an obfuscated mess that's pretty hard to stomach and they can't design a satisfying AI boss to save their lives) but i imagine those don't matter much to most above my level. Is it mostly BBTAGs DLC structure being particularly egregious? Are they removing mechanics to broaden the appeal but it lowers the skill ceiling?

Their monthly streams are (besides the obvious raw PR aspect) kind of adorable.

Nah, it's just this particular game that looks bad, and also that it's crossover without any of the stuff I'd want them to cross over with.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

People who have played the kiosks/tourney events seem really positive about it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

big loving chunky normals, really high damage, easy to approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

darealkooky posted:

posts like this are responsible for street fighter 5

If posts like that can provide funding for a AAA game (albeit a very barebones one) than we need more of them to fund other, better projects.