Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I think my favorite part was right before that where he's criticizing the film industry going "Look, these fuckers just do everything for money!" *pulls out a bunch of paper and fans it out* "This meaningless poo poo!"

Then he kind of looks at it absently for a few beats and slowly crams it back into his pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

I'm glad jodorowskis dune does not exist to be honest. It was a neat little urban legend when i was young and a cool documentary but dune 84 barely works and that level of special effects didnt exist at the time and star wars was years out

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Also thanks to it getting canceled we got the comics. Did i mention the comics rule

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Penny Arcade guys are kind of tools but this was posted in 2003, about the time I tried reading the KJA abortions, and I still agree:

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bump

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

It's THUMP

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Spinster posted:

It's THUMP

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Windows 98 posted:

To all you Dune nerds, you should really check this out. It’s a fantastic documentary on why Dune almost was what we know Star Wars as today. Worth every second. I read the first 10 pages and didn’t see anyone mention it.

The bluray release has an extra 40 minutes or so of interviews with Jodorowsky and Michel Seydoux (the producer). They're great, and help give a sense that Jodo is actually relatively sane and aware of the world in a way that the rest of the documentary doesn't.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dune

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Love this illustration, I love a big worm

I was awestruck my first time reading the moment when sandworms crashed the emperors gate

Kazak fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 19, 2018

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just finally got around to watching the SciFi Miniseries. It really does tell a much better story than the David Lynch version, but even lovely CG aside, the visual direction felt so uninspired.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

CopperHound posted:

I just finally got around to watching the SciFi Miniseries. It really does tell a much better story than the David Lynch version, but even lovely CG aside, the visual direction felt so uninspired.

It all feels small, like a stage play

About halfway through children of dune. i love these dang novels

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kazak posted:

Love this illustration, I love a big worm

I was awestruck my first time reading the moment when sandworms crashed the emperors gate

Phwooooarrrr? (not sure if rude)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlV7Gh1sbVs

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh hey, a Dune thread.

:)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i am reading god-emperor and I feel that any comments on the novel should be rendered in italics and at vast introspective length. i am enjoying it immediately more than I enjoyed children.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Milky Moor posted:

i am reading god-emperor and I feel that any comments on the novel should be rendered in italics and at vast introspective length. i am enjoying it immediately more than I enjoyed children.

confirmed for pedo

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
An album, a hypothetical soundtrack, a tribute to Dune which you all might enjoy.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Phwooooarrrr? (not sure if rude)

If you gotta big worm just post it 🐍

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kazak posted:

If you gotta big worm just post it 🐍
Spotted in Southwest France on a rainy April day in 2015:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Kull Wahad!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

unlike 99% of the dune inspired music i've heard this is actually pretty nice! thanks man

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

CopperHound posted:

Spotted in Southwest France on a rainy April day in 2015:

Blessed be! :worship:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dyna Soar posted:

unlike 99% of the dune inspired music i've heard this is actually pretty nice! thanks man

Curious, what other Dune music would you recommend or discommend? My favorite is probably Bernard Szajner’s Visions of Dune.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

skasion posted:

Curious, what other Dune music would you recommend or discommend? My favorite is probably Bernard Szajner’s Visions of Dune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
God dammit, I was looking for my copy of Dune and realized I leant it to someone I don’t talk to anymore. This is the third time I’ve done that with this book. I can’t bring myself to just buy a kindle copy even though I do that with 99 percent of all my other books. There’s something about Dune for me that just demands a hard copy, so this cycle’s gonna continue.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_fzSc_i0Tc

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

skasion posted:

honestly there's not much to recommend. somehow after the movie came out, everything electronic / synth based inspired by dune became super cheesy. there's a few ok metal songs here and there, like iron maiden but they're not standout tracks in the artists catalogues. shai hulud and harkonnen are kinda of second-rate metalcore, then theres a bunch of 3rd rate sludge metal bands.

what i'd recommend are all 70s synth / experimental electronic stuff: klaus schulze, kurt stenzel, richard pinhas and bernard szajner. kurt stenzel's album is actually a comissioned, full soundtrack to jodorowskys unmade movie.

szajner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFVPZOUOVZg
stentzel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TVZSmcbpTw
pinhas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dzDvH5f_i0
schulze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4P_tKcUvs

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God dammit, I was looking for my copy of Dune and realized I leant it to someone I don’t talk to anymore. This is the third time I’ve done that with this book. I can’t bring myself to just buy a kindle copy even though I do that with 99 percent of all my other books. There’s something about Dune for me that just demands a hard copy, so this cycle’s gonna continue.

Buy it again, but get something less easy to loan out
http://www.foliosociety.com/book/DFH/dune-frank-herbert

Look at this, drat fine illustrations within

Thinkin bout those worms

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thats a really great looking book!

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Lovely boook..

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I own that book and it owns

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "never lend books"?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kazak posted:

Buy it again, but get something less easy to loan out
http://www.foliosociety.com/book/DFH/dune-frank-herbert

Look at this, drat fine illustrations within

Thinkin bout those worms

Holy mother of god I can’t afford to spend 135 on a book but I just might.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Haven't you ever heard the phrase, "never lend books"?

I usually get them back. I have a copy of The Long Walk by Stephen King I’ve been lending to friends before they go on trips ever since high school. It’s been to six continents and always made it back to me.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Perhaps the saying should be "don't lend out good books."

Jk I've never read Stephen King in my life.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

phasmid posted:

Perhaps the saying should be "don't lend out good books."

Jk I've never read Stephen King in my life.

i like him a lot but he's a pulp writer, nothing more nothing less. probably wouldn't recommend him to someone who doesn't like trashy horror. what he's really good at though is describing adolescence and growing up, and doing so in a way that will make you swoon from nostalgia.

his best book though, is on writing, a memoir. it's funny and on point and def for anyone interested in the actual craft of writing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Writing:_A_Memoir_of_the_Craft

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Stephen King has some good stuff but holy poo poo, Cell is probably the worst book I ever read.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Tell me of the waters of your home world LORD CYBERTREX-8000.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Stephen King has some good stuff but holy poo poo, Cell is probably the worst book I ever read.

I don't blame you for not reading the Brian Herbert dune books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Franklin, who is LORD CYBERTREX-8000 among us.