Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anime is blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Anime is terribly amazing

hard agree

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Anime is terrible.

he’s right folks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anime is cylically self-reproducing trash by obsessive otaku and washout art students who couldn't hack it in real jobs or schools

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Motto posted:

anime is cylically self-reproducing trash by obsessive otaku and washout art students who couldn't hack it in real jobs or schools

As is all media.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Motto posted:

Unless you're a mangaka because then you can apparently make a five hundred volume epic so long as you can draw an approximation of a face and can write legibly. Considering the mountain of comics they produce and the various premises, I'm way more interested to see what is actually getting rejected by publishing houses in Japan.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nowdays stuff gets picked up and published straight from their deviantart equivalent so

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Protodude posted:

What would you recommend are his better reviews? I watched a couple of his videos ages ago but remember finding them frankly pretty bad.
I can't really recall a specific video I would recommend but he has improved a lot. He stopped making cringy sexual comments and has instead relegated that to that perv character he does who is always painted as being really bad and creepy.

It's really weird to watch someone talk about movies that you were in awe of as a child because the animation dazzled you only to find out that many of them were badly written and super hosed up. Also, how on earth did I manage to watch Ninja Scroll at the age of 10 with grownups in the room?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Unlike glorious America which sticks mostly with fanfics or the 90s.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anime used to be about a lot of things, like sports and murder, but now all of it is about people reincarnating as video game characters. This illustrates the concept of samsara.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

FoldableHuman posted:

On one hand dubbing VAs are often terrible.

On the other hand the original VAs are also often terrible.

I feel like foreign language can be a bit of a cover for mediocre voice acting in terms of inflection and delivery, so I'll take a mediocre performance in Japanese over an equally meh English one. Also my tolerance for over-the-top anime voices (especially for the bad cutesy voice) is much higher when it's not in English. On the other hand, when it's dubbed well, especially in genres like comedy which really need timing, I'll happily take dubbed versions over subbed.

Bonus of dubbing: I can have it on in the background and work on stuff without having my eyes glued to the screen to keep up with what's going on. Winner: Netflix over Crunchyroll.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Protodude posted:

What would you recommend are his better reviews? I watched a couple of his videos ages ago but remember finding them frankly pretty bad.

His best review I think is either Jin-Roh or Memories. Video Girl Ai is also quite good, as is his video on Berserk.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 19, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

FoldableHuman posted:

On one hand dubbing VAs are often terrible.

On the other hand the original VAs are also often terrible.

And on the third hand, VA directors are also often terrible for not even coming close to fixing either of these.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Anime used to be about a lot of things, like sports and murder, but now all of it is about people reincarnating as video game characters. This illustrates the concept of samsara.

At least one anime this season is about murder via sports.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Darth Walrus posted:

At least one anime this season is about murder via sports.

No.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:thunk:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ricdesi posted:

And on the third hand, VA directors are also often terrible for not even coming close to fixing either of these.

One of the reasons that Cowboy Bebop's dub is so excellent was due to Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's extra work she put in with the ADR process. She was recovering from a hospital stay at the time so she couldn't travel as much to do recordings, so she stuck around the office where Bebop's dub was being worked on and helped iron out a lot of the kinks in the script and got the dialogue timing down pat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Megalobox is a special show.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I meant BotL.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Do not respond to BotL.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Arcsquad12 posted:

One of the reasons that Cowboy Bebop's dub is so excellent was due to Mary Elizabeth McGlynn's extra work she put in with the ADR process. She was recovering from a hospital stay at the time so she couldn't travel as much to do recordings, so she stuck around the office where Bebop's dub was being worked on and helped iron out a lot of the kinks in the script and got the dialogue timing down pat.

Nice! Didn't know that tidbit, and the extra effort seriously shows. Growing up, that was always my go-to as an example of excellent dubbing. I think part of it came from the general social stigma of anime for a while, and the overall consideration in the West that it's "just cartoons".

Despite the fact that there were plenty of examples of solid voice acting for western animation, so that kind of defeats the argument about no one caring even back then.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Honestly if someone did an unironic in-depth analysis into the filmmaking techniques in The Room I would probably be really into it. Like from that video I noticed a lot of the cinematography for the closeups in that scene is fine, but it's all edited around a bland-looking master shot that seems like they only staged it for a couple of key moments.

Big Joel probably has the best breakdown of The Room on Youtube at the moment

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EDIT
Taken down. Sorry for releasing this early, I didn't realize.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 19, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

MOD EDIT DELPOYED

Yeeeeeessssss

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 20, 2018

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I don't mean to sound like a downer, but is that video meant for patrons only? It's unlisted and all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is it? I just got it linked to me so I thought I'd share it. I can take down the link if it's not meant to be out yet.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think that's the link of the still-unlisted video meant for Patreons.
It was a very good, and sorta depressing, video though.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, I'll wait till she actually posted it in public.

Edit: Also, just my 2 cents on some of the talk earlier about Bob. Keep in mind, thanks to the unique, hosed up way capitalism works in America a lot of people who earn 100K-250K do consider themselves the working class and see themselves as struggling.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My experience with Japanese voice acting is that yes it is extremely archetype based, but whether you hear those archetypes depend on the shows you watch.

I would say of my top 5 anime, two lean into the stereotypes because one is a mainstream comedy shounen action that makes fun on anime tropes as often as it plays them straight and the other is Sailor Moon. The other three however, are more sedate shows in general which is part of it.

...though the one teenage girl of the cast in two of those three sounds like every teenage girl because anime.

(I’d probably listen to more dubs if my favorite shows had more dubs. Gintama only has one dubbed season and one dubbed movie and Natsume Yuujinchou just flat out has a sub only release. I’d kill for a Mushishi season 2 dub though because Travis Willingham is Ginko for me.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
As far as the whole dubbing vs. subtitle thing goes, I think it comes down to case-by-case basis. A lot of people (Bennett included, I believe) hold Black Lagoon up as an example of how a English dub can be really good.

Going somewhat in line with what Lamps said, though, I remember someone saying that anime twenty-thirty years ago was a lot more 'globalized', in that it had a more broad appeal in its content (sci-fi shows like Gundam or the like ). Nowadays, it feels like it's more insular, or rooted in Japanese culture to a point where you need knowledge of Japanese cultural norms to get a better context. In those cases, sticking to original dubbing and subtitles feels more appropriate.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The Gundam SEED bud is worth it for Rau le Creuset.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedd posted:

The Gundam SEED bud is worth it for Rau le Creuset.

Good voice acting is not enough to save that show.

I do have respect for Kira's English VA willingly getting kicked in the balls to replicate the Japanese VA's tortured crying scream.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The saddest thing about the interchangeable archetypes in anime (of which there's maybe a dozen max) is that their VA industry is training everyone to sound like one of those archetypes. It's robbing a lot of character that used to be present and homogenising everything.

Japanese voice acting is just becoming boring to listen to because of that, but I agree with the goon about comedies. Comedies seem to get the best and the worst of dub jobs. Often the best comedy dubs, however, need to rewrite entire jokes to make it work. Part of the issue is that Japanese joke structure is pretty different from western due to how their sentences are structured. It's hard to have a punchline at the end of a sentence in Japanese, for instance, because the structure basically spoils the joke as soon as you start reading.

Max Wilco posted:

Going somewhat in line with what Lamps said, though, I remember someone saying that anime twenty-thirty years ago was a lot more 'globalized', in that it had a more broad appeal in its content (sci-fi shows like Gundam or the like ). Nowadays, it feels like it's more insular, or rooted in Japanese culture to a point where you need knowledge of Japanese cultural norms to get a better context. In those cases, sticking to original dubbing and subtitles feels more appropriate.

The entire anime industry basically crashed sometime between 2005 and 2010 and it hit the international market the hardest. This, combined with the fact most anime is produced by folks who grew up with it, has caused the industry to pivot into an extremely pandering direction to milk as much from the niche Japanese fanbase as much as possible.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 19, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Animated comedy is tied to visual expression, execution and timing. These three things need to work in harmony to get the best results. Ironically, missing these marks can also cause dubbed comedy shows to hit the marks in a different way. To take one of Bennett's videos as an example, Ultimate Teacher is hilarious because Scott McNeil is horrendously miscast as the titular character, but the rest of the show is played so completely straight that the comedy comes from how out of place McNeil's psychotic delivery is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Animated comedy is tied to visual expression, execution and timing. These three things need to work in harmony to get the best results. Ironically, missing these marks can also cause dubbed comedy shows to hit the marks in a different way. To take one of Bennett's videos as an example, Ultimate Teacher is hilarious because Scott McNeil is horrendously miscast as the titular character, but the rest of the show is played so completely straight that the comedy comes from how out of place McNeil's psychotic delivery is.

There's also the brilliance of Ghost Hound (I think I have the name right?) where the localisation company decided to give a mediocre anime a completely rewritten dub so it came across as a comedy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Holy poo poo can we get a loving mod please

D: David De Coteau. Running time 67 minutes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mokinokaro posted:

There's also the brilliance of Ghost Hound (I think I have the name right?) where the localisation company decided to give a mediocre anime a completely rewritten dub so it came across as a comedy.

Ghost Stories. Fun fact, they got the same dub director to do Highschool of the Dead.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Good voice acting is not enough to save that show.

I do have respect for Kira's English VA willingly getting kicked in the balls to replicate the Japanese VA's tortured crying scream.
The Japanese VA for Kira has to be the best person alive at emulating whalesounds.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Try to bring Gormenghast into the discussion somehow. Otherwise it doesn't do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedd posted:

The Japanese VA for Kira has to be the best person alive at emulating whalesounds.

For everyone else's benefit.