Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Time to play Stephen A Smith Tweet or Trump tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I just started listening to the LeBatard show podcast this week and does he normally poo poo on ESPN and other talent at ESPN this much?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Adun posted:

I just started listening to the LeBatard show podcast this week and does he normally poo poo on ESPN and other talent at ESPN this much?

Yes.

E: haven't listened to the show this week, but, yeah, he doesn't shy away from criticism of ESPN or its employees

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjiwucG0fRM

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Adun posted:

Short answer, yes. But more often than not the ESPN talent he's making GBS threads on is in on the joke/get the show (not counting most football analysts).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Longtime Patriots radio announcer Gil Santos passed away today on his 78th birthday :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I hate when I die on my birthday

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

Short answer, yes. But more often than not the ESPN talent he's making GBS threads on is in on the joke/get the show (not counting most football analysts).

He also openly hates first take, although that's actually pretty common with other on air talent at ESPN

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MourningView posted:

He also openly hates first take, although that's actually pretty common with other on air talent at ESPN
He loves Stephen A though

But First Take has always been poo poo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FlamingLiberal posted:

He loves Stephen A though

But First Take has always been poo poo

I mean in the sense that he thinks he's an insane person and he's fun to mock

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MourningView posted:

I mean in the sense that he thinks he's an insane person and he's fun to mock

He's cool.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

it for sure straddles that line between mocking and appreciating. But I think the fact they have good relationships outside of the show, which in some cases have existed for many years, ensures everyone is on board. It's the same thing with Stugotz going after Golic and Wingo and giving them poo poo for being lame. He says stuff about their show that would probably get most ESPN people in trouble but they love the guy so it's fine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress that Donut challenge will be with me until the day I die.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Let me just say that I appreciate FS2 taking two hours every Saturday to cover horse racing. It's making lemonade out of lemons!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Edward Mass posted:

Let me just say that I appreciate FS2 taking two hours every Saturday to cover horse racing. It's making lemonade out of lemons!

I miss our horse racing megathread. It was one guy who may or may not have been a degenerate gambler posting year round.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Dumb question: is awfulannouncing.com related to SA?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

I miss our horse racing megathread. It was one guy who may or may not have been a degenerate gambler posting year round.

I was so angry when someone else posted in it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Dumb question: is awfulannouncing.com related to SA?

No

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Presenting Darren Rovell as the living embodiment of the broken clock metaphor, by utterly crushing it at Twitter for once

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/988236344009854976?s=21

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'M THE ONE WHO WROTE THE BOOK ON GATORADE, PUNK!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"The only reason someone would post this is if they were an empty husk of a failed PR Marketing intern who thinks what they buy and consume defines them."
"Yeah, you are right. I shouldn't post this....OH WAIT"
(posts picture of entire professional career)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Oh drat any archive links?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh drat any archive links?

It was goldmined

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thank you!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Rick posted:

I'M THE ONE WHO WROTE THE BOOK ON GATORADE, PUNK!

Imagine thinking there needed to be a BOOK about Gatorade. What the hell kind of backstory does anyone need besides "DID YOU KNOW? It's called 'Gatorade' because it was invented at the University of Florida."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Imagine thinking there needed to be a BOOK about Gatorade. What the hell kind of backstory does anyone need besides "DID YOU KNOW? It's called 'Gatorade' because it was invented at the University of Florida."

Home of the Gators.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ElwoodCuse posted:

because they had some of the biggest success and had some extremely influential direct and viral marketing in athletics?

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation

Thaddius the Large posted:

Presenting Darren Rovell as the living embodiment of the broken clock metaphor, by utterly crushing it at Twitter for once

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/988236344009854976?s=21

Lmfao

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
You're in my world now, punk.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

exploded mummy posted:

because they had some of the biggest success and had some extremely influential direct and viral marketing in athletics?

again, why does anyone need this

"an entire book about the history of Gatorade" is something a business or marketing professor writes, and forces everyone to pay $35 for

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
why does anyone need to read anything really

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I've read an entire book about steel boxes before and it was a good read.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think there is enough room to know that Gatorade has probably enough interesting tidbits and innovation to warrant a book but have it also hilarious that Darren Rovell wrote it and uses it to gatekeep people on Twitter.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

I think there is enough room to know that Gatorade has probably enough interesting tidbits and innovation to warrant a book but have it also hilarious that Darren Rovell wrote it and uses it to gatekeep people on Twitter.

I agree.

It was the first widespread sportsdrink in the US and its rise coincides with the widespread usage of them and the implications on training and play.

It also had some major success in branding and marketing so I can see Rovell being interested.

I think it's kind of hilariously reductionist to wonder why there might be a book on the subject.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the growth of Gatorade is basically a master class in marketing.

Lockback posted:

:yeah:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Darren Rovell brutally owned someone and everyone is jealous

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I want to know who concepted/pitched the sweat Gatorade commercials.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

I want to know who concepted/pitched the sweat Gatorade commercials.

Almost assuredly a guy named Dan who wishes he had another shot with his ex-wife.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think Darren Rovell brutally owned someone and everyone is jealous

I think it’s amazing that while he did brutalize some random dude, it’s in such a ridiculous niche that he’s quite literally the only person in the world who likely is able to do this. Like, mocking him as such on any other issue would be perfectly fine, but Darren’s whole life has been leading up to this one moment where his sports business obsession has actually resulted in his having a leg up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm like 75% sure that guy was a plant because Darren thought a Twitter own would help his brand.