Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Didn't someone hit 5.8 with a 1800X on LN2 pretty earl... oh, it's all cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, it's "all cores active", which is another thing entirely.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Despite all the drama it just seems like Steve and Jim are (mostly) reasonable adults who don't resort to petty bickering when they disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3_aL3T5J8

Also he finishes this video by dropping the ban hammer on a few idiots who went to Hardware Unboxed and left lovely comments. Feels good.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
GamersNexus posted their R7 2700 benchmarks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I love that they have a streamer benchmark page and that it confirms everything I assumed about streaming on ryzen (i.e. it works great)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

The overclocking results are interesting. Basically, these new CPUs need less voltage than the previous gen to reach the same clocks but they still hit a wall at 4.2 GHz and, at least in gaming, XFR2 does a good job of auto-overclocking when you have thermal headroom available to the point that there's really no point in manually overclocking the core frequency on a 2700X unless you've got liquid cooling or better going on (though overclocking the 2700 to 2700X performance is still good). Also, 145 watts power draw at stock settings in Cinebench on the 2700X :eyepop:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 19, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

Anandtech‘s 1080p Gaming benchmarks seem too good to be true. :holymoley:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12625/amd-second-generation-ryzen-7-2700x-2700-ryzen-5-2600x-2600/16

Other sites aren’t getting quite as good results but comments suggest that others didn’t retest with meltdown patches.
Power consumption is also better than I expected. Solid refresh, amazing if anandtechs results are accurate.

eames fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 19, 2018

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I don't think this is the first time AT has posted huge discrepancies from other reviewers.

TR: All test systems were updated with the latest firmware and Windows updates before we began collecting data, including patches for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities where applicable. As a result, test data from this review should not be compared with results collected in past TR reviews.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-04/amd-ryzen-2000-test/7/

Fast ram and tight timings put the 2700x ahead of the 8700k in some games :eyepop:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh yeah, TR+ please.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Hahahaha hardocp fuckin BROKE their 8700K while benching it against the 2700x lol kbennett

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Hahahaha hardocp fuckin BROKE their 8700K while benching it against the 2700x lol kbennett
most lga1151-2 boards are still built to handle 140w of power going through the CPU tops :shepface:

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
WTF happened in Anandtech's review? Those numbers must be very off, I seriously doubt the meltdown and spectre patches affect gaming with Intel that much.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Anandtech are using each CPUs maximum officially supported memory frequencies, which means DDR4-2666 for the Coffee Lakes and DDR4-2933 for the Ryzen 2s.

That's... questionable given Intel chips can easily handle memory speeds far beyond their supposed max.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Otakufag posted:

WTF happened in Anandtech's review? Those numbers must be very off, I seriously doubt the meltdown and spectre patches affect gaming with Intel that much.

Anand Lal Shimpi left is what happened to AnandTech in general.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad we're back in the "overclock your rams" age :v:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dead Goon posted:

Anand Lal Shimpi left is what happened to AnandTech in general.

Can't blame him. Better to sell out to Apple as a 7+ figure/year salaryman than feeding off scraps from vendors and deal with obnoxious fanboys.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Truga posted:

I'm glad we're back in the "overclock your rams" age :v:

* Applies to AMD only

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Well those AT results are a mess.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There's still a 4.2ghz hard cap, but it's easier to reach it plus you can reach lower voltages with the same frequency, which actually would be very good for the Raven Ridge successor on the mobile side.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
The intelligence of the improved boost is showing against manually overclocked results for alot of benchmarks.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
There might actually be no point in overclocking the Ryzen 3000 series if XFR3 is even better than XFR2, as the 4.2Ghz manual hard limit can be breached by XFR2 to hit 4.3, almost 4.4Ghz in some cases. XFR probably makes binning chips hella easy.

Like it's stupid good at extracting maximum performance for minimum power, and over at Hardware Unboxed Ryzen+ is matching or just beating Skylake-X core for core, clock for clock on performance and efficiency, and that's with Intel having a super mature, superior process.

Still having to many things to spend money on this year, but 2019 is looking to be a good year for me to upgrade finally with an R7 3600X, X570 and RX 680.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's still a 4.2ghz hard cap, but it's easier to reach it plus you can reach lower voltages with the same frequency, which actually would be very good for the Raven Ridge successor on the mobile side.

So 12nm RR does make some sense, they'll more reliably hit their boost clocks within their rated TDP, plus the superior memory performance will help the iGPU. The thing I am most interested in is AMDs recent push for "Near Memory", basically HBM for CPUs. Is HBM Gen1 still manufactured? That'd be a good candidate, 1GB stack to stick on higher end 12nm RR, would boost performance considerably.

Actually, probably a super dumb idea due to latency issues, but what about reviving AIMM?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 19, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

Anandtech are using each CPUs maximum officially supported memory frequencies, which means DDR4-2666 for the Coffee Lakes and DDR4-2933 for the Ryzen 2s.

That's... questionable given Intel chips can easily handle memory speeds far beyond their supposed max.

idk i kinda like that methodology from a product review standpoint, although I would also like to see 1-1 testing with identical ram settings too.

e: also worth noting that AT is using an ASUS Crossfire X470 board, and a lot of the other reviews were sampled MSI/Gigabyte stuff. ASUS loves to OC or run aggressive power settings out of the box, and ATs position on that has always been to run it at the out of box settings. Might have somethin to do with it

Cygni fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 19, 2018

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Cygni posted:

idk i kinda like that methodology from a product review standpoint, although I would also like to see 1-1 testing with identical ram settings too.
How often do the big brand's exceed official memory speeds in their pre-built systems?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

How often do the big brand's exceed official memory speeds in their pre-built systems?

I looked around some of the UK-based gaming PC builders and most of them are exceeding the CPUs rated memory speed, at least on higher end systems.

Dell used to stick strictly to the rated speed but it looks like that's changed, they're selling Alienware Skylake-X boxes with 2666-2933mhz memory when SKX is only rated for 2400mhz.

edit: In fact Dell are even doing it in their professional workstations, e.g. the Precision 7920 uses 2666mhz memory while offering CPUs only rated for 2133mhz.

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 19, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose there's still no DDR4-3200 modules that do ECC?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I always like TPU for their graphs, pretty solid 1080p gaming improvements and overall right up there with the 8700k, not bad at all.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Reviews are encouraging.
AMD should have packed a no-LED version of the big boy Prism cooler with the 2600X though, the smaller Spire is really struggling with its job under load.

But then again, the difference between the 2600 and 2600X in games seems to be negligible so just get the cheaper one. Like last time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
2700X looks like a compelling buy worth picking over the 8700K. The 2600/2600X don't look worthwhile over the i5-8400, unless I'm missing something.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

2700X looks like a compelling buy worth picking over the 8700K. The 2600/2600X don't look worthwhile over the i5-8400, unless I'm missing something.

overall system cost (particularly if you're going to stick with the amd wraith cooler which is 'acceptable' versus the same old crap intel stock cooler that's miserably overloaded by coffee lake watts)

edit: wait the 2600x has the wraith cooler that's not as good, scratch that. the one with the heatpipes is the 'acceptable' one. the spire is still better than what intel packs in with the 8400, but only in the way that horse poo poo is better than dog poo poo.

an upgrade path -- I'm good with my 1600X and wouldn't have bought a new 2xxx no matter how good they were. but now I'm even happier with my choice because the respin is better than I expected and zen2 will probably be even better. if AMD stays committed to their am4 compatibility promise I'll definitely get one of those in 2019 or 2020.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 19, 2018

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Even if they make NO latency/IMC improvements and NO architectural improvements to affect IPC when moving to 7nm which would be virtually impossible, just tacking on a straight 15% clock speed increase to get to 5.0Ghz @ the same wattage you're still looking at a monstrously strong all purpose chip. I don't think 7nm Ryzen will launch at $329 for the top 8/16 though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Seamonster posted:

Even if they make NO latency/IMC improvements and NO architectural improvements to affect IPC when moving to 7nm which would be virtually impossible, just tacking on a straight 15% clock speed increase to get to 5.0Ghz @ the same wattage you're still looking at a monstrously strong all purpose chip. I don't think 7nm Ryzen will launch at $329 for the top 8/16 though.

"true" 7nm is still a ways off. pretty sure zen2 is gonna be on the hybrid process where they have 12nm for the transistors and 7mn for vias and other circuits that don't need the pellicle thing. i think that means improvement in chips per wafer but no big performance change.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Can't remember the link off the top of my head but a GloFlow bigwig specifically mentioned the 5.0 ghz mark as his personal estimate in an interview.

Spidi
Dec 30, 2017
I'm about to get new PC but I'm debating if it's worth buying 2600X over 2600 for that little boost of performance or just save that 30 bucks and get myself better keyboard :psyduck:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Looks good. Close enough to 8700K that I'd rather buy AMD just to not throw money toward intel's way.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Seamonster posted:

Can't remember the link off the top of my head but a GloFlow bigwig specifically mentioned the 5.0 ghz mark as his personal estimate in an interview.

They did but clockspeed improvements can come from architectural changes too and it sounds like Zen2 might be a fairly decent revamp of Zen so maaaybe that is where its coming from and not so much the process.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Measly Twerp posted:

Despite all the drama it just seems like Steve and Jim are (mostly) reasonable adults who don't resort to petty bickering when they disagree:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f3_aL3T5J8

Pardon me for the derail, but what is his obsession with the 8700 non-K? He seems to be convinced for months that it can't hit it's rated all-core turbo for more than a few seconds, but every evidence and experience revolves around OEM pre-built machines that often aren't performance-oriented beyond names and marketing. Does Intel not sell the locked 8700 to builders, or is the entire community so averse to buying an i7 that can't be overclocked that nobody has bought one to stress it and see if it can hold it's speed given ample cooling?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I like what I'm seeing out of Zen+.

It bodes well for Zen 2 next year.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My current CPU is a 2600k, running at 4.2GHz. Ryzen+ can do 4.2GHz with better IPC and twice the cores.

I'm so tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Craptacular! posted:

Pardon me for the derail, but what is his obsession with the 8700 non-K? He seems to be convinced for months that it can't hit it's rated all-core turbo for more than a few seconds, but every evidence and experience revolves around OEM pre-built machines that often aren't performance-oriented beyond names and marketing. Does Intel not sell the locked 8700 to builders, or is the entire community so averse to buying an i7 that can't be overclocked that nobody has bought one to stress it and see if it can hold it's speed given ample cooling?

I have one and a retail board with a Dark Rock Pro 3. It will throttle massively regardless of cooling, unless you change the TDP setting in the bios. It's throttling due to the TDP limitations in the microcode, not because of cooling. Intel sells it as a 65w TDP, and thats where its TDP will stay out of the box.

If you change the TDP, its got a great price/performance. 4.3ghz all core 6/12 for $300. If you don't change the TDP, its honestly not a great buy.