Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Does he tell a lie for every possible detail? It's not a Hogan story without that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As soon as I saw the YouTube embed load, I knew a killscreen was coming up.

For further Kuh craziness, he once worked a really long week at an arcade (he made a good amount of money in investments or similar from memory, so retired really young and took a job at one of the arcades all the classic gaming people love). Because of this incredible achievement, they tried to auction off his pay check for... reasons?

I don’t care much about classic gaming, but I do find the culture around it quite fascinating. Todd Rodgers recently got the boot because finally people realized all the impossible to achieve scores he/friend of his logged for him meant he was cheating. The guy is obviously a really good player too which is crazy.

The Billy Mitchell stuff is of course great and hilarious. He lives down here so goes to one of the local events quite often, I wanna meet the dude but I wonder if he’ll be keeping a low profile for a bit.

Man Vs Snake is another good video game documentary which felt a bit more real than the ‘staged for the narrative’ King of Kong. Chasing Ghosts is fun too, just for the final on screen text before the credits.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
King of Kong is now more real than ever imo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mahoning posted:

I watched Andre the Giant on HBO last night. It’s not overly long, but man oh man did they interview absolutely every big name that crossed his path. Wrestlers, actors, directors, family, friends, etc.

I wish it delved more into the man himself but it seems that he was a mostly private person so what we hear secondhand from friends is the best we’ll get.

It’s not a groundbreaking doc but that doesn’t make it any less fascinating. The best bit is Hulk Hogan’s blow by blow retelling of the Wrestlemania III match which I think anyone would enjoy even if you’re not into wrestling.

If you're looking for something more personal I recommend the graphic novel Box Brown wrote, it's good

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Does he tell a lie for every possible detail? It's not a Hogan story without that.

This is very, very true. There's a running joke in the wrestling forum that every time Hogan talks about bodyslamming Andre, Andre's weight at the time seems to gain about 100lbs from the previous telling.

The funny part is WWE kind of pulled a fast one in terms of it being a great feat, since a bunch of people had slammed Andre already. Antonio Inoki, Riki Choshu, Stan Hansen, Steve Williams, Yoshi Fujiwara, El Canek, Harley Race, and Seiji Sakaguchi all did it before Hogan.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 12, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oddly enough, there’s none of that with Hogan in the doc, and mostly everything he says is confirmed by other people like Gene Okerland or Andre’s best friend/handler.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Billy Mitchell has been officially outed as a fraud, and I have chosen to exploit this opportunity to fondly remember an all-time great documentary character, Brian Kuh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTj7NSHVwSk

Can you link a story about this? I grew up in the classic arcade era and played the gently caress out of Defender and Asteroids among others (never Pacman or Donkey Kong though) and really enjoyed The King of Kong although it could have been about jealous competitors in ANY endeavor. I found Mitchell and his toadys to be interesting characters.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Oddly enough, there’s none of that with Hogan in the doc, and mostly everything he says is confirmed by other people like Gene Okerland or Andre’s best friend/handler.

The magic of editing!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Can you link a story about this? I grew up in the classic arcade era and played the gently caress out of Defender and Asteroids among others (never Pacman or Donkey Kong though) and really enjoyed The King of Kong although it could have been about jealous competitors in ANY endeavor. I found Mitchell and his toadys to be interesting characters.

OK, I read up on this. I actually thought it was ok to use MAME for some of this, although maybe I remembered it wrong and it's just an issue where they keep MAME records separately. MAME is pretty cool by the way.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Zwabu posted:

OK, I read up on this. I actually thought it was ok to use MAME for some of this, although maybe I remembered it wrong and it's just an issue where they keep MAME records separately. MAME is pretty cool by the way.

From what I understand, a lot of it is due to personal submissions that could utilize the emulator for cheating (I'm still okay with using MAME or emulators, personally). There was a piece I read that alleged that it was likely that Mitchell used the emulator to make random factors swing his way. The kind of randomness that was alluded to in that King of Kong clip where "You can have a bad run" such as how barrels generate or enemy patterns/items popping on screen. I'm not familiar with the intricacies of Donkey Kong enough to know how the gamble/core loop works.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The Andre the Giant doc is great and includes Hulk Hogan doing a Macho Man impression

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This is very, very true. There's a running joke in the wrestling forum that every time Hogan talks about bodyslamming Andre, Andre's weight at the time seems to gain about 100lbs from the previous telling.

And Andre died 2 days later, and the WM3 attendance was 250,000 people, and,

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

And Andre died 2 days later, and the WM3 attendance was 250,000 people, and,

Haha that too. About the only redeeming aspect of Hogan's odd behaviour is that he obviously looked up to Andre and probably earnestly believes he's doing Andre a favor by making him seem like such a insurmountable man. In his own weird way, he's trying to mythologize Andre in such a way that Andre lives forever.

But in typical Hogan fashion, he's doing it such a way that Hogan looks good too. Not very fun fact: Hogan is an all lives matter supporter.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The Andre doc is both recommended and disappointing. It’s very much about Andre the mythological figure and not Andre the man. I do wish it had gone a lot deeper in to him as a man, but it was a fun feel good documentary.

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
I bully, on the internet.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Man Vs Snake is another good video game documentary which felt a bit more real than the ‘staged for the narrative’ King of Kong.
The other one that rounds out this trifecta is Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zwabu posted:

It's okay for some games and not others, and generally MAME submissions are subject to significantly more scrutiny than arcade board ones because there are a ton more potential ways to cheat with MAME. So naturally his video tape of the screen submission might fly for a real arcade but would 100% not for MAME.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

InternetBully posted:

The other one that rounds out this trifecta is Ecstasy of Order: The Tetris Masters.

Yeah! I remember enjoying that one too a few years back. There’s one called Nintendo Quest too from the last year or two, about a guy trying to buy a complete NES set, but it’s nothing too special. Pleasant but not essential, anyway.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not very fun fact: Hogan is an all lives matter supporter.

Uhhhh it's way worse than that. Have you seen Nobody Speak?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

InternetBully posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, and it is fascinating

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Mahoning posted:

I watched Andre the Giant on HBO last night. It’s not overly long, but man oh man did they interview absolutely every big name that crossed his path. Wrestlers, actors, directors, family, friends, etc.

I wish it delved more into the man himself but it seems that he was a mostly private person so what we hear secondhand from friends is the best we’ll get.

It’s not a groundbreaking doc but that doesn’t make it any less fascinating. The best bit is Hulk Hogan’s blow by blow retelling of the Wrestlemania III match which I think anyone would enjoy even if you’re not into wrestling.

Obligatory 'Greatest Drunk on Earth' fanfic.
The Greatest Drunk on Earth

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Ropes4u posted:

I would like to hear more about this myself, was the doc worth the time?

Sorry, did not see this, yeah it was pretty good, if you got some time to spare, you could find worse. :)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those of you who watched WILD WILD COUNTRY, Esquire just published an article about a ghastly murder associated to the Rajneesh family, (though it happened 5 years after the cult collapsed in on itself).

The doc maker said even if they DID find out about it during the making of WWC, they would've left it out;

quote:

The story of Kruse, however, never came up in their search, the Ways brothers told Esquire.com. "Even if it did, we would have not included it in Wild Wild Country. Our series primarily focuses on the events in Eastern Oregon from 1981-1985, and this horrific murder occurred five years after the collapse of the commune in Northern California," they said in a joint statement released through a publicist.

"After reading the article (about her), I would imagine the murder of Angela Bretnell deserves a documentary all of its own," they added.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a19733709/wild-wild-country-rajneesh-friederike-kruse-murder-angela-bretnall/

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The original "The Decline of Western Civilization" is currently on Starz. Since I've pretty much found this only as a grainy VHS in the past, worth a watch. It's a doc about the early punk scene in L.A. Pretty wide difference in the talent and charisma levels of the various bands. Well worth a watch in my opinion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Decline of Western Civilization is also perma-streaming at Shout Factory:

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/the-decline-of-western-civilization/57715974fef27c0d7b022cec

I gotta point that out because I've been trying to see it "clean" for years now and it only seems fleetingly available. There it is!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What about Decline of Western Civilization Parts 2 and 3? I remember 2 being great but I never saw 3 because it sounded terrible.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

precision posted:

What about Decline of Western Civilization Parts 2 and 3? I remember 2 being great but I never saw 3 because it sounded terrible.

They are about different genres of music (hair metal etc.) Did Penelope Spheeris even make those?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

She did and they’re all great. 2 is maybe even better than the first but it’s a very different kind of movie

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I like 1 and 2 both a lot for very different reasons.

edit: 2 is on Youtube, should have figured it was

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

precision posted:

Yeah I like 1 and 2 both a lot for very different reasons.

edit: 2 is on Youtube, should have figured it was

What about 3 turns you off?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DeimosRising posted:

What about 3 turns you off?

I never did see it, I just remember thinking it didn't sound good, but that was probably 10-15 years ago. Having just looked it up, I'm now confused because I could have sworn Part 3 was about gangster rap, not homeless punk kids, so I'll give it a watch.

e: holy poo poo, Spheeris directed Wayne's World hahaha

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I just resubbed to HBO for Westworld, what's a good documentary to watch in there? Open to most topics except graphic animal cruelty, I can't really stomach watching stuff like that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Ignis posted:

I just resubbed to HBO for Westworld, what's a good documentary to watch in there? Open to most topics except graphic animal cruelty, I can't really stomach watching stuff like that.

Andre the Giant one was good. And I think ‘There’s Something Wrong With Aunt Diane’ is still up, just fair warning, you see a dead body towards the end.

We tried watching a few episodes of The Traffickers, we had to skip the first two because the first one was rhino horns, with like, graphic images of a rhino laying on the ground with a big chunk of its face cut off, the second one was Pangolin meat trafficking.

My friend said ‘okay, how about the guns episode? I’m sure they’re not killing animals to smuggle guns!’

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Ignis posted:

Paradise Lost is the old classic. I also really enjoyed Clinica de Migrantes.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

precision posted:

I never did see it, I just remember thinking it didn't sound good, but that was probably 10-15 years ago. Having just looked it up, I'm now confused because I could have sworn Part 3 was about gangster rap, not homeless punk kids, so I'll give it a watch.

e: holy poo poo, Spheeris directed Wayne's World hahaha

3 is definitely worth a watch, especially given how it follows up 1 and 2.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching No No: A Dockumentary and it's fantastic. Great pacing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sounds good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a really good documentary about Stuxnet on Hulu right now (it was made by Showtime) called Zero Days

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Friedkin meets the Devil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpjRQokeQNo

Survivor's Guide to Prison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfUh5wstN04

The Search for General Tso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z0hmBIR8BE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pretty sure that's already on Netflix.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, that's a couple years old. Surprisingly good doc though, I wasn't expecting much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

precision posted:

There's a really good documentary about Stuxnet on Hulu right now (it was made by Showtime) called Zero Days

It's quite good until that weird reveal