Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

logikv9 posted:

I need to see the battle scene three more times I'm still not sure how that happened

Not book spoilers:

Pinus Contorta (a.k.a. Rocinante) fires a bunch of torpedos right off the bow of the UN ship to blind it. It then races in to knife‐fighting range and blows its engines off with more torpedos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's on the bubble. If S3 viewership doesn't grow the word is :ese:

:smith:

The premier didn't do very well, apprently, so set your TV's to watch it live, or watch the DVR/webcast within 3 days. Or buy the season/episode on your streaming du jour. This show is great and deserves another season!

Amos can do at least 2 minutes of vigorous physical activity while holding his breath! :eng101:

Every Some womens dream.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Everybody needs to see Nick Tarabay slaying in Spartacus.And he again nailed it here.Pimp

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

was/is it explained why the Razorback doesn't have/Avasarala doesn't get injected with juice for high-g manoeuvres?

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

double nine posted:

was/is it explained why the Razorback doesn't have/Avasarala doesn't get injected with juice for high-g manoeuvres?

They showed exactly that at the end of episode 1 when they first blasted off.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

must have missed it. sorry

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

double nine posted:

must have missed it. sorry

It's happening as Bobbie is saying “Hitch your tits and pucker up, it’s time to peel the paint!”

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The juice is also pretty dangerous and can kill you, so they try to use it as little as possible.

I honestly don't remember anything about Ana from the books.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

It's happening as Bobbie is saying “Hitch your tits and pucker up, it’s time to peel the paint!”

Space slang is weird, did they hire the Farscape guys suddenly?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Space slang is weird, did they hire the Farscape guys suddenly?

I thought it was less space slang and more marine slang, because I'm led believe the current American ones say some loving weird poo poo

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah even modern Marines speak in about 30% incomprehensible jargon and slang that only other Marines understand so for another 200 years in the future the fact that Bobby and her friends speak comprehensible English at all is surprising.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was turned off by some of what I felt was unnecessary drama in the episode.

All the poo poo surrounding whether or not Pinus would Deus Ex the Razorback seemed a little contrived. You knew the second they heard the distress call, they'd help. But I feel that all of the conversations between the Pinus crew keeps muddying the character's motivations too much to where I can't figure out where they really stand on things. It's like they're just blowing in the wind half the time. Which, I guess is understandable, but if you can't tell what their core values are- it just looks to be a bunch of noise.

I guess I'm mostly complaining about Holden and Naomi. Alex's 'return' to caring about his family and Mars didn't seem to have a natural enough progression, though.

The air hose scene was really drawn out and didn't seem necessary, other than to cement Amos' ability to to treat the rest of the world with pragmatism except when it comes to his crew.

Anyway, now they have more passengers, less fuel, less air. So what I'm thinking in the back of my mind is "So who is gonna swoop in and save the day next week?"

Also I was disappointed that Chrisjen didn't let out a 'gently caress' and instead said 'forget'.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 19, 2018

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
From Reddit

https://gfycat.com/BountifulWhisperedCrocodileskink

edit
https://media.giphy.com/media/gxU8WLmXORNDCNQLTb/giphy.gif

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 19, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bloom posted:

To clarify this part does make sense, it's just weird that a disconnect would have such a catastrophic effect. Seems to me like the ship should be keeping the suits' tanks filled up so if someone needs to disconnect during maneuvers(bound to happen on a warship) they have a full tank of air to work with.

The tools being loose was enough tension for that scene imho so the air thing felt unnecessary.

I think the scene was needed for that Amos tool catch. Catching a tool in front of his own face would be impressive, but not as impressive as catching it in front of Prax's face. Maybe they could have accomplished that if the seats were right next to each other, but Amos making his way across the room added action to an already tense scene.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amos is such a weird character but in a good way. There's a conflict between his instincts and tendencies and the stuff he believes to be right, and it's done in a way that makes me really like the character.

If done slightly wrong I'd probably find him just a dull musclehead stereotype.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Amos is fantastic, and his casting couldn't have been better. I really hope the show goes on long enough to cover the later books because Amos has some great scenes later on in the story.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

ATP_Power posted:

Amos is fantastic, and his casting couldn't have been better. I really hope the show goes on long enough to cover the later books because Amos has some great scenes later on in the story.

I think I mentioned this in last season's thread, but I really hope we get to see the (extremely mild spoiler)Chrissie scene at some point. With those two actors it would be glorious.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Platystemon posted:

Not book spoilers:

Pinus Contorta (a.k.a. Rocinante) fires a bunch of torpedos right off the bow of the UN ship to blind it. It then races in to knife‐fighting range and blows its engines off with more torpedos.

yeah it just seemed really.... silly in a sense? you had a feeling of the immense speed the two ships were passing each other with, but they got perfect shots on the engine from extremely close anyway. that said, ~computers~ and it doesn't really matter

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the teaser for the next episode looks like poo poo is going up around 5 notches

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

logikv9 posted:

yeah it just seemed really.... silly in a sense? you had a feeling of the immense speed the two ships were passing each other with, but they got perfect shots on the engine from extremely close anyway. that said, ~computers~ and it doesn't really matter

Computers for the timing, and they got around the "torpedoes can't track at short range" by being so close they were armed in the tube and dumb fired

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

logikv9 posted:

NTRabbit posted:

Computers for the timing, and they got around the "torpedoes can't track at short range" by being so close they were armed in the tube and dumb fired

All the targeting is done by the computers, but even still that was a trick shot. Like rolling a 20: the plan was daring but ultimately came down to chance and just happened to work out perfectly for them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I feel like they're having all kinds of pacing issues trying to translate everything with Bobby and Christian to a TV episodic format. Season 2 ends with Bobby in power armor showing up to save Christian as heroic music plays. S03E01 opens with them still being very much in danger surrounded by hostiles on the ship, then the ship itself is in danger. The episode ends with them blasting off as fast as they can, escaping the ship as heroic music plays. S03E02 opens with them right next to a stationary debris field, stationary themselves and trying to hide.

Stop trying to end every episode with them getting away if you're just gonna open the next one with them still being in the same peril again.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

I feel like they're having all kinds of pacing issues trying to translate everything with Bobby and Christian to a TV episodic format. Season 2 ends with Bobby in power armor showing up to save Christian as heroic music plays. S03E01 opens with them still being very much in danger surrounded by hostiles on the ship, then the ship itself is in danger. The episode ends with them blasting off as fast as they can, escaping the ship as heroic music plays. S03E02 opens with them right next to a stationary debris field, stationary themselves and trying to hide.

Stop trying to end every episode with them getting away if you're just gonna open the next one with them still being in the same peril again.
Minor point of correction, that debris field is moving incredibly fast, having been blasted out of a ship in full burn.

What the debris is not doing is accelerating. The Razorback heroically accelerated away from the exploding ship the moment it exploded so it would resemble that fast moving debris.

To me it feels like each episode ended with one huge problem out of many huge problems being dealt with, and the following episode dealt with subsequent problems. Or should Bobbie have taken on the UN ship with her power armor as part of the S2 finale?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Raged posted:

I could see Netflix picking this up really quick if SyFy drops it. Used to be that you could watch this the next day on Netflix Australia and tons of friends watched it, but SyFy cancelled that deal. They would kill for a critically acclaimed Sci Fi series with some legs to it.

Yeah given the critical acclaim it's gotten I could see Netflix in particular stepping in if it's cancelled. I think their viewership in particular is really into science fiction, although that may be my bias since I find myself watching stuff like Star Trek on it all the time. They were willing to shell out for Altered Carbon, and they've picked up cancelled shows before like Longmire. Not being beholden to ratings is a real asset to them, and they've become so insanely profitable and are pushing to add so many new shows that the Expanse would just be a drop in the bucket of their overall programming plans.

There's also a gap there for it since the sci-fi base right now is Altered Carbon, reruns of the classics, a few less popular series that were cancelled like dark matter, and like 2 good movies and 20 bad ones.

My overall hope is just to not have to worry about cancellation and have syfy treat it as something of a loss leader where they aren't really making money off it, but it gets them award recognition and overall prestige that might draw viewers in general and keep them from being made fun of at T.V. exec meetings or whatever as the Sharknado network.

Fun episode this week, interesting to see Ava introduced early and Roci's missile defense of the Razorback was just as cool as I hoped it would be. It also helped that I forget like SO much book stuff until it happens on screen so it still kinda surprised me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As long as Syfy doesn't pull an Adult Swim and kill a very popular TV series and then absolutely refuse to sell the rights to anyone.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

As long as Syfy doesn't pull an Adult Swim and kill a very popular TV series and then absolutely refuse to sell the rights to anyone.

You have a lot more trust in this channel than I do. There are so many shows in the last decade+ that would happily contradict your sentiment.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get this. Why just not work out a royalty deal, better to make some money than no money

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mike the TV posted:

You have a lot more trust in this channel than I do. There are so many shows in the last decade+ that would happily contradict your sentiment.

SciFi has murdered down some of their best shows without good sense. Its still a miracle that BSG got an ending.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

Syfy almost certainly won't sell it. It's ride or die on the network, so if you like the show, watch it live or get on the DVR. :shrug:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Eiba posted:

Minor point of correction, that debris field is moving incredibly fast, having been blasted out of a ship in full burn.

What the debris is not doing is accelerating. The Razorback heroically accelerated away from the exploding ship the moment it exploded so it would resemble that fast moving debris.

To me it feels like each episode ended with one huge problem out of many huge problems being dealt with, and the following episode dealt with subsequent problems. Or should Bobbie have taken on the UN ship with her power armor as part of the S2 finale?

That could be, but that stuff was in perfect stationary formation and not expanding relative to the other debris at all.

It's not that she should have done anything different, it's that maybe the middle of a firefight isn't the best time to take an 8 month break from the show? That's what I mean by pacing. She can either end the season getting in her power armor and getting ready to kick rear end, or clear the ship and then end the season with the first glimpse of the Razorback.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

counterfeitsaint posted:

That could be, but that stuff was in perfect stationary formation and not expanding relative to the other debris at all.

Uh why would it

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

Also I was disappointed that Chrisjen didn't let out a 'gently caress' and instead said 'forget'.

That’s one reason I buy the season pass on iTunes, for pure unfiltered Avarasala. Multiple “fucks” were uttered by Chrisjen in both Ep1 and Ep2 this season.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Proteus Jones posted:

That’s one reason I buy the season pass on iTunes, for pure unfiltered Avarasala. Multiple “fucks” were uttered by Chrisjen in both Ep1 and Ep2 this season.

I'm surprised they're censoring so much this year. Last year they barely did, and SyFy aired Blood Drive which had a lot of completely uncensored fucks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kilson posted:

I'm surprised they're censoring so much this year. Last year they barely did, and SyFy aired Blood Drive which had a lot of completely uncensored fucks.

I think this show is attracting bigger advertisers and sponsors.

I also think it’s attracting a lot of eyeballs, just not during prime air time. I know it’s a “featured show” on iTunes meaning a ton of people are buying episodes/season pass on iTunes. I think it’s #3 behind Killing Eve (#2) and Westworld (#1) Season Pass sales.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The kicker for me was that when avasaralla passed out the first time the beeping sound is the same sound our bedside monitors in the hospital make to notify someone that there’s a heart rate or breathing problem. Was like, oh poo poo?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
It's just the preview but Amos and Bobbie being on the same ship is already deliverying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rR-FgxBy4w

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Butts posted:

I was turned off by some of what I felt was unnecessary drama in the episode.

All the poo poo surrounding whether or not Pinus would Deus Ex the Razorback seemed a little contrived. You knew the second they heard the distress call, they'd help. But I feel that all of the conversations between the Pinus crew keeps muddying the character's motivations too much to where I can't figure out where they really stand on things. It's like they're just blowing in the wind half the time. Which, I guess is understandable, but if you can't tell what their core values are- it just looks to be a bunch of noise.

I guess I'm mostly complaining about Holden and Naomi. Alex's 'return' to caring about his family and Mars didn't seem to have a natural enough progression, though.

The air hose scene was really drawn out and didn't seem necessary, other than to cement Amos' ability to to treat the rest of the world with pragmatism except when it comes to his crew.

Anyway, now they have more passengers, less fuel, less air. So what I'm thinking in the back of my mind is "So who is gonna swoop in and save the day next week?"

She said gently caress a couple of times... on my download anyway

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

MizPiz posted:

It's just the preview but Amos and Bobbie being on the same ship is already deliverying

Extremely owns.

“You think that’s funny?”

“...maybe not now..”

Lol

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

MizPiz posted:

Looking forward to next week a lot. Amos is the best, and I am sort of partial to not give a gently caress Holden as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kilson posted:

yeah, there was no excuse at "tell her your fricking name"

like come the gently caress on.