Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Augus posted:

the spike wall phase was weird and kinda dumb because it was basically impossible to die and this new phase is functionally the same gameplay concept just with more going on

Also it reminds me of the giant Doomsday penguin thing you fight at the end of Sonic 3K if you don't have all the emeralds/are Tails, which is one of my favorite bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Mania just had level design that outgrew what is basically a legacy mechanic, and it didn't really have a point in the older games either to be perfectly honest. I'm struggling to think of any Sonic game that actually benefits from a timeout function other than maybe Fighters. No-one has ever needed an arbitrary timer to be encouraged not to dawdle in a Sonic game.

The original function of the timer in the genesis games was to kill you and allow you to start over from the last checkpoint when you encountered a glitch that made the character get stuck inside a wall (aka “Dr Robotnik’s deadly speed traps” in the manuals).

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Xad posted:

Also it reminds me of the giant Doomsday penguin thing you fight at the end of Sonic 3K if you don't have all the emeralds/are Tails, which is one of my favorite bosses

Wait... did you think the Eggman Robot was a penguin?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

... I can kind of see it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also I thought you fought the eggman walker robot even if you didn't have all the emeralds, you just didn't go on to Doomsday zone.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

this version of it kinda has a beak, but yeah I know it isn't actually a penguin :v:

Kurieg posted:

Also I thought you fought the eggman walker robot even if you didn't have all the emeralds, you just didn't go on to Doomsday zone.

You might be right, it's been a while since I played S3K normally

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
You do!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

When I was a kid I always tried to 100% games, so I had to deliberately try to get the "bad ending" for S3&K. If you don't get all the normal Chaos Emeralds, you skip Doomsday, Sonic loses the Master Emerald while falling from space, and he and Tails just peace out, leaving Angel Island in the ocean. :(

I forget what happens during the second half of the game if you fail to get all the Emeralds before Mushroom Hill. I think you continue on as normal and you can still try to get all 7 before Hidden Palace. Do you get locked out of the Super Emeralds? It's been a long time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

I forget what happens during the second half of the game if you fail to get all the Emeralds before Mushroom Hill. I think you continue on as normal and you can still try to get all 7 before Hidden Palace. Do you get locked out of the Super Emeralds? It's been a long time.
They're just normal Large Rings until you get them all, then they turn into Super Rings. It's not possible to be "locked out" since you unlock level select once the game is cleared regardless of ending.

It does make the cutscene with Knuckles in Mushroom Hill confusing.

EDIT: Actually, I guess you can technically game over in S3&K. What happens when you run out of continues?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you don't have all the super rings when you transition tot he "&Knuckles" part of S3&K you can still go into the one default flashing super ring, and if you have any emeralds they'll get slotted into the super emerald platforms where you can make one attempt at upgrading one of them before you get kicked out. After that you'll have normal rings until you get rest of the normal emeralds, then they turn into super rings.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

EDIT: Actually, I guess you can technically game over in S3&K. What happens when you run out of continues?

Considering there's a save system, I imagine you'd just have to start over from Act 1 of the last Zone you were on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

Considering there's a save system, I imagine you'd just have to start over from Act 1 of the last Zone you were on.

I was once bad enough to get a game over in Sonic3+K
this is correct

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Apparently the leaked update is officially going to be coming out alongside mania plus in the summer. Ugh, the wait is long.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’ve gotten a game over, but the game vomits continues and saves them. So I never saw a an actual Game Over.

I also was afraid that running out of continues would erase your save file, so I never dared try it. No, getting a game over on a throwaway save file never occurred to Young Me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Amppelix posted:

Apparently the leaked update is officially going to be coming out alongside mania plus in the summer. Ugh, the wait is long.

It's entirely possible that there's going to be a fair bit more, then. Might be other bosses tweaked that didn't make it in. Reverie?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I game overed a ton of times on the Oil Ocean 2 boss and by the end of it I was really starting to hate that entire zone. This is probably considered an undesirable impression to leave in a player.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well on the upside they've apparently tweaked that one a little.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I lost a few lives on the Oil Ocean boss, but not that many. Never went past 7 minutes in Titanic Monarch Act 2 either. I have no idea what you goons are doing.

Reverie gave me some issues until I started using the ground, that alone lets you deal with the robot's phase a lot more easily.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think I lost more lives on FBZ2 than OOZ2, personally, but I am bad a the video games.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I only game overed on OOZ boss as knuckles, because he can't jump out of the oil into an already extended platform. And I lost several lives to MSZ's boss trying to figure out when, precisely, it's safe to hit Bark.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

OOZ boss was just plain obnoxious as Knuckles, garbage fight.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Oil ocean zone in general is kinda lame, both in mania and sonic 2. I've never cared for the music or the visuals or the design

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
There was really no reason to have the platforms that high. The absolute least they could've done would've been lowering the platforms just for Knuckles.

e: Also what the heck, aside from that boss fight Oil Ocean has always been cool and good and that goes double for the music. :colbert:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Always liked Oil Ocean's music

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like I'm the only person who didn't really have any trouble with Oil Ocean's boss. I don't even know if it gave me much trouble on Knuckles either.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who didn't really have any trouble with Oil Ocean's boss. I don't even know if it gave me much trouble on Knuckles either.

me too. guess we're just incredibly good at video games, heh

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I game over'd on OOZ's boss release night and decided that it was a good time to go to bed

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OOZ is fine, but absolutely no-one wanted S3&K's most hated mechanic to make a comeback. The subs were cool, though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

OOZ is fine, but absolutely no-one wanted S3&K's most hated mechanic to make a comeback. The subs were cool, though.

I don't remember the barrel being anywhere in Mania.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't think the flying tops were in Mania?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

how can people hate oil ocean's music when hill top zone is in the same game and sets the standard for garbage

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Takoluka posted:

how can people hate oil ocean's music when hill top zone is in the same game and sets the standard for garbage

How can you hate high-pitched, off-key fart noises?

Although I guess "high-pitched, off-key fart noises" could literally apply to at least one song from any given Genesis game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Takoluka posted:

How can you have such bad opinions?

King Vidiot posted:

Although I guess "high-pitched, off-key fart noises" could literally apply to at least one song from any given Genesis game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxP0n7h_914

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kurieg posted:

How can you have such bad opinions?

turn on your monitor

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Sudden Javelin posted:

Always liked Oil Ocean's music

boy do i have the sound test number sequence for you

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

UGH, I can feel that in my taint. It sounds like a loving belt sander.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ArfJason posted:

i remember this being an important plot thing in a lovely sonic fangame from the sfghq days which is why i still remember that

it also was a brief goof in the ova

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

UGH, I can feel that in my taint. It sounds like a loving belt sander.
And the belt sander keeps hitting you in the head as you fall down a flight of stairs

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hilltop always had good music, and decades later Tee Lopes confirms it with the killer HD remix :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjHM8wiTbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

How can you hate high-pitched, off-key fart noises?

Well, except Crazybus I guess. That opts for high-pitched, off-key square waves instead.
I actually really like the Genesis sound chip, even on its shittier uses, buuuut yeah